anyone past 50 on here?

Autumn Sunrise

I won't post details since @Tja already did, but I'll just say that I had a wonderful day with @Tja , @Kazbe and @catsaregood. Now back home after a long train trip - tired and happy :D

@Midland Tyke, I'm looking forward to our meeting a little later in the year (?March . . . I'd better sort myself out on that one :D)

• Like 9
12 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Goodness you are fickle. It was all @Elnae last week.  :P

I never said I wasn't! :P

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

On the subject of grandparents . . . (and coming in somewhat late on this discussion) . . . I do actually have a little memory of one set of great grandparents (my maternal grandmother's parents), who were Irish. However they were very elderly then, and died when I was still a child, so I didn't have very much contact with them. My maternal grandmother was pretty special! I was her first grandchild, and she was very loving and caring, encouraged me to think well of myself (and every child needs that, from someone), and passed on lots of family stories to me. I loved staying over at her house! She was still around when I had children, and she was loving and generous with them too. Sadly, she eventually succumbed to dementia, and died in a nursing home - I think she was about 96 (we found, after her death, that both she and grandfather, whom I never knew because he died quite young, had lied about their ages when they got married as she was actually older than he was, and apparently this was just "not done" :lol:) So I have lots of good memories of "Nan", but no real sadness, because I had her for a long time.

I saw much less of my paternal grandparents, and I think this probably had a lot to do with the fact that my grandmother didn't seem to like my mother very much. She was quite prim and starchy, and Sunday visits, when they occurred, were rather formal occasions. She was a great cook and provided lovely dinners, but servings were strictly controlled and we didn't dare ask for "seconds".  I never sensed any real warmth from her, and I felt that she cared a lot more for our cousins than she did for me and my siblings. On the other hand, "Pardy", as we called our grandfather, was kind to us and always spent time showing us his garden and aviary, and doing cool things like cutting a piece of bamboo and carving a little flute that would really play notes :D. He always had a little extra pocket money for me, too! 

• Like 13
3 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

:lol: I thought my ears were burning earlier! :lol: Its okay, I'm nothing if not willing to share! :wub:

• Like 9
13 hours ago, daveb said:

I went and saw The Last Jedi today, in a nice movie theater with powered reclining seats, plenty of leg room, and not too many people. I thought the movie had a lot going on with various subplots and stuff that didn't seem to amount to much and all. I still enjoyed watching it (not the best of the franchise, but not the worst either, in my opinion). I won't say more, because I know a lot of people haven't seen it yet.

Saw that one about a week ago.  The theater was crowded for me, but I also get the power recline and heated seats.  I LOVE those heated seats in the winter...I can finally be warm!

In the Trek vs. Wars fanboi debates, I'm a Trekker all the way - the Enterprise is firmly entwined around my heart, but I still enjoy both franchises.  That said, The Last Jedi was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the earlier films where Lucas was still in charge.  This film felt busy...like they tried to cram too much content in a frame a bit too small.  They should have edited out some of the subplots.

Funny part of the film was before I got my seat.  I had parked my butt in a corner of the lobby, waiting for my theater to empty out so I could claim my seat, when a kid (pre-teen, but not by much) looked up at his mom (I assume...) and said in a loud voice 'Geeze...Kylo Wren was an ASSHOLE!'

Out of the mouths of babes, eh?  And the kid was right, once I watched for myself.

• Like 10
11 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Actually, @Tja met me too, or don't I count? *sulks*

• Like 11
On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Tja said:

Hey, All!

Too tired to comment on everyone. Sorry!

Must be off to bed soon. ;)

Had a most excellent day with @Mizzletoe:wub: 

Met Little Dog, and was even honored by Cat! :o

He let me give him a long scratch & rub, purring ecstatically! I was told that's a big deal. ;)

The tour of Leeds castle was glorious. The Queen's Tea was sensational. The panto was great fun!

Thank you for a lovely day, Minx!

*Sorry, again, that you had to drive back to my hotel with the bag I left in your car. :redface:*

Excellent start to the Tja World Tour! :D

Proof. :)  Mizzletoe is me, under my Christmas nom de plume. 

• Like 10
18 hours ago, daveb said:

I've traced some back to the early 1600s. I had some good records to start with on part of my family, because one of my great great grandmothers was in the DAR (US organization, Daughters of the American Revolution). In order to join she had to provide documentation that she had ancestors who fought (on the US side) in that war. Some of that part of the family goes back to the early days of what later became New Jersey, way back before that when it was a Dutch colony. A lot of the names from those early days were Dutch (but got overwhelmed as later generations with English names married into the family). :)

Interesting history. So we are distant relatives. :D

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Actuallly, @Tja met me too, or don't I count? *sulks*

You were my first...er,um...international meet,that is...and that holds a special place in my heart, Minx! :wub::wub::wub: You, little Dog, and Cat mean the world to me!!!

Also, one of my first friends on AVEN! 8) 

*Goodness! Seems like I have a girl in every port.:o My homoromantic status is taking a beating!* :P

• Like 13
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi All! It's great to hear of all the globetrotting going on, between @Tja, @daveb & @Midland Tyke, it brightens this otherwise dull grey time of year!:D

I never did find out what was wrong with my old girl that night, she has calmed down since...but there was a whiff of fox in the garden....

Good to hear the film reviews as well, the next one to be viewed in this corner is 'The Darkest Hour' with Gary Oldman playing Churchill.

Not much else going on here, hardly had time to do any AVENing recently, but, hey! Friday tomorrow! Roll on the weekend!:lol:

So many meetups in the books and on the calendar! I need a schematic to keep up on who's meeting whom when. :lol:

Interesting reports about people's memories and research into ancestors. My knowledge of mine is unfortunately pretty limited. My mom's parents died before I was born, and my dad's parents died when I was a small child. All my grandparents were immigrants and we know very little info about prior generations, just a couple of faded photos and a handful of factoids. I used to have dreams that my grandparents had come back to life and I could finally get to know them.

Tomorrow here it's supposed to be sixty degrees (F) warmer than it was three days ago! :unsure:

• Like 11
14 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I do actually have a little memory of one set of great grandparents (my maternal grandmother's parents), who were Irish. However they were very elderly then, and died when I was still a child, so I didn't have very much contact with them.

I did meet one great grandparent of mine once, when I was a young kid. He was a little old Italian gentleman, and already quite old at the time - if I remember correctly he was in his 90s and didn't live many more years, but was still independent when we visited him that one time.

7 hours ago, Tja said:

*Goodness! Seems like I have a girl in every port.:o My homoromantic status is taking a beating!* :P

6 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

@Tja You heartbreaker, you. :wub:

:lol:

@Tja, you do seem to get plenty of them coming out to meet you! :P

I made a phone call this morning to make a hotel reservation for another trip (more local, on my own, later this Spring). The person I had to talk to turned out to be hard of hearing and was having trouble hearing me. I had to shout and make corrections throughout the entire conversation, but I think I was ultimately successful. For example, when I said May for the month she though I said 8 and when she repeated the info back to me said August. :P (I don't know why she was the one taking the phone call - I did hear at least a couple of other people who sounded like co-workers or something, in the background as she interacted with them)

Had some good rain today (by which I mean it poured). :) 

• Like 9

This morning, before sunrise, 2 Kangaroos, followed by a Wallaroo, came down toward the house.

When the sun came up, the Wallaroo was less than 15 feet away, eating grass.

I shot a video of him, for about 10 minutes. He was staring right at me while chewing his breakfast. Magic!

Today, was finally the day: I tried Vegemite, at my own breakfast!

For those waiting for the reults; it was a resounding...

Spoiler

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with the 50% of Australians who don't care for it.

At first, it was interesting, but, when the full malty, salty flavour hits...No Way!

We then went to lookouts over the valley. Stunning views!

I walked along the edge of cliffs, onto amazing rock formations, and had a very brief bush walk.

Along the way, we found a young Echidna! Gorgeous!! *I now just need to see a wombat, to complete my Aussie animal adventure*

**The Platypi were too standoffish**

Lunch, and an antique mall, was lovely.

Tonight, we visit a wildlife refuge.

A great day!

• Like 11

@Tja I hate to sound like the ignorant American, but from your recent posts: a) I have learned that Australia is more than a flat hot desert

b) The hospitality and friendliness of those you have met on this journey never ceases to amaze me 

c) vegemite isn't really made from vegetables?  and it sucks   

d) Now I need to google or look up an "achidna gorgeous", a" wombat", and a "platypi" or is that multiple platapussies?:redface:    

• Like 8

Platypi is probably the correct collective term, think octopus > octopi 

Vegemite is closely related to Dynamite :P:P

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja I hate to sound like the ignorant American, but from your recent posts: a) I have learned that Australia is more than a flat hot desert

b) The hospitality and friendliness of those you have met on this journey never ceases to amaze me 

d) Now I need to google or look up an "achidna gorgeous", a" wombat", and a "platypi" or is that multiple platapussies?:redface:    

a) Much, much more! Though, there are ongoing water issues, in some places.

b) Amazes me, too. *Especially coming from someone as cynical as I am*

c) No. It's a left over product from beer making, or, something like that. Malt and salt seem to be the main ingredients. Yes, it sucks. *Sorry to the 50% of Australians who like it*

d) Echidna(s) are gorgeous! Wombat's are a rodent, but cute as hell. Platypi is the multiple of Platypus. *Wait until you get a load of these things. A mammal, which lays eggs, and is poisonous*

It's truly a land of wonder. *That may sound cliche, but, it's really true*

Tonight, at the wildlife refuge, Secret Creek, the owner took us for an extended tour, showing us things he wouldn't show on a regular tour.

The animals on the tour were all endangered: Rock Wallaby, Dingoes, Sydney Emu, and, the most endangered: Eastern Quolls.

• Like 6

@Tja, coming home is going to seem so boring and tame! What a fantastic adventure. Its great to experience another country with the help of someone who lives there. When I went to NZ about 10 years ago, I stayed with my penpal (whom I had never met, like you and your hosts!) for two weeks and we toured all over the South Island.

I'm off work today, and have a long list of things to accomplish. It is rainy and mild (40s)--such a change from just a few days ago.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Muledeer said:

:lol: I’ve been busy Googling as well. @Tja it’s all very exotic 💥. Hopefully you will see a wombat too. 

• Like 6
18 hours ago, Tja said:

@daveb, that sounds like a Neil Simon movie plot, starring Walter Mathhau. :lol:

And that was just the first act! I hope the second act (when I check in in May) is less "entertaining". :lol:

Echidnas (and platypuses- that or platypus seem to be the correct plural forms) are monotremes. I did a report on echidnas in biology class in high school. They are reminiscent of hedgehogs in some ways. Most of the other native mammals in Australia are marsupials, including wombats, wallaroos, quolls, quokkas, etc. 

It really sounds like an awesome trip!

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Tja said:

d) Echidna(s) are gorgeous! Wombat's are a rodent, but cute as hell. Platypi is the multiple of Platypus. *Wait until you get a load of these things. A mammal, which lays eggs, and is poisonous*

The platypus is poisonous? I remember learning about Australia in public school, but don't recall that fact.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, will123 said:

The platypus is poisonous? I remember learning about Australia in public school, but don't recall that fact.

It has a barb on it's hind foot which injects the poison.

Oh...Platypi is accepted by Latinists, scientists, and fans of quirky words. ;)

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Platypi is probably the correct collective term, think octopus > octopi 

Vegemite is closely related to Dynamite :P:P

@daveb @Tja While Platypi and octopi are often used terms, the actual plurals are platypodes and octopodes. The online business my wife and I had was called Craftpodes. My avatar was a platypus and my wife's was an octopus. :D

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Tja said:

It has a barb on it's hind foot which injects the poison.

Oh...Platypi is accepted by Latinists, scientists, and fans of quirky words. ;)

The only other mammal which is poisonous that I am aware of is the common shrew.

I think the pluralities should be platypussies and octopussies because they are sooo fun to say.  Of course cats and willows can simply be pussies on their own.:D

• Like 8

Platypi is not proper Latin so I doubt scholars of Latin really take it seriously. It's use by other people is based on a false premise, not every word that ends in "-pus" should be pluralized as "-pi". The plural of campus is not campi; the plural of Krampus is not Krampi. :P

2 hours ago, Spotastic said:

platypodes

You are right, that is also an accepted pluralization.

If any place is going to have poisonous mammals it would be Australia! :P

• Like 5

@Spotastic, I stand corrected :redface::cake:

When the first platypus was brought (dead) to Britain scholars were suspicious that it was a fake animal cobbled together from bits of different species 

• Like 8

OMGiddyAunt, People...Toe-mate-o...Toe-maa-toe! :P:P 

*Before you say it: I know that doesn't really apply to this situation. Just being a smart-ass!* :lol:

Went to a Dingo sanctuary, this morning. Had a lovely animal almost jump in my lap, lick my face, and melt while I rubbed her back and tummy! :wub: 

Dingoes/Dingos/Dingo's/Dingos' (:P) are awesome!!! *Sorry! The smart-assery continues.*

It's a shame they get called "wild dogs", and given a bad rap. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Later, drove to little towns in the Southern Highlands, NSW. Great lunch, good antique stores, and afternoon tea.

• Like 12