anyone past 50 on here?

Oh, yuck, @daveb it shouldn't take them any time at all to change things like that that costs you money- computers work at the speed of light! Of course, getting the humans involved slows things down. Hope you get it settled. 

Our work gave gave each department a fruit basket. I remember the good old days when they gave us a gift card to the local food store. And a fancy party. Although I am sort of glad that I don't hVe to go to a fancy party anymore.

looking forwRd to the solstice! It has been awfully cold awfully fast around here. The horses are already in their heavy weight blankets since it is in the teens and below  at night. 

• Like 6
34 minutes ago, daveb said:

Now I will have to give them another call - which I do not enjoy since it always seems to take a while, jumping through hoops, dealing with bureaucracy, and phone anxiety. 

I feel your pain -- when something like this happens, it bothers me less that the initial problem didn't get fixed than the fear that I'll have to make multiple more phone calls to get it fixed, or that the problem will get compounded instead of fixed. That said, I certainly hope your mortgage company will straighten everything out pronto! 

We don't get a physical gift at my office, but we do get a holiday lunch. At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, I must say last year's lunch was much better than this year's. :mellow:

• Like 7
5 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Very beautiful and unusual @EarthMama, bet it glitters in the light.

The scales do - they're really shiny!

5 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

I cooked a vegan dinner for herself and boyfriend, which was lentil soup, ratatouille with pasta, then baked apples with cashew caramel sauce. These vegans seem to eat very well, I'm thinking of taking it up after the new year as the only dairy I've had in a while is milk for my tea!

I could never do vegan...I'm too much of a carnivore - but they do eat well.  Give it a try if you're inclined, and good luck :D

3 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

@EarthMama your piece is beautiful as usual.  

Thanks!  I want to finish it out with an open chainmaille sphere around it, and I'll probably add some roots snaking away from the base yet...but it was too purdy not to share :D

3 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

My gardening project is going well so far.  I have a few microgreens that I've started and so far everything is living! 

Yea for growing things!  I hope you stick with it - nothing is as good as food you've grown yourself.

2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

@EarthMama, your creations are so eye-catching and stylish -- very impressive. :)

I'm so glad we're a mere 3 days away from the shortest day of the year. By Christmas we'll have an additional 13 seconds of daylight. Woo-hoo! :rolleyes:

On the solstice, I'll be in my favorite greenspace (well, brown right now) freezing my butt off as I attempt a solstice meditation.  It's the perfect day of the year to remind oneself of the importance of patience.

27 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'm annoyed with my mortgage company - got my escrow statement from them today and there is well over $500 shortfall (which can either be paid now or over the course of the coming year). Plus, they still haven't dropped the mortgage insurance, which I had requested they drop a few months ago since I had paid off enough of the loan to easily qualify for dropping. The person I talked to at that time said it was clear I qualified and they would drop it. I gave them some time because they always seem to take months to do anything. Now I will have to give them another call - which I do not enjoy since it always seems to take a while, jumping through hoops, dealing with bureaucracy, and phone anxiety. 

Sounds like you need some of that patience, too.  Banks are horrible to have to deal with. :(

• Like 7

Yeah. I tend to get stressed with things like this and the prospect of having to make phone calls. I just need a little time to accept or adapt or decide how to deal with things. I'm not good at turning on a dime as it were. Once I get past the initial reactions (stress, annoyance, disappointment, etc.) and have had time to make plans and decisions I am usually okay. I just need that space between being hit with something and making a decision. :) Even little things can throw me for a loop temporarily.:blink: 

• Like 10
Autumn Sunrise

I can relate to that, @daveb - sounds like the way I deal with unexpected demands or problems :D It seems to work out in the end - I just need to remember not to panic or fly off the handle!

• Like 8

Thanks, @Autumn Sunrise! It helps to hear that. I'm not alone. :)

For some reason my eyes have been watering a lot today, and it's not tears (or at least not emotional ones). I have felt like I'm on the verge of a cold, so maybe that's why the watering.

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise

Well, I hope if it's a cold, it's a "quick" one . . . or better still, maybe it's just a minor irritation. Maybe an early night ??? :)

• Like 3

@faraday☘ "a tub of chocolate, that's pretty sweet" :D:D, best one of the day!

@daveb, hope it's a transient irritation and not a portent of Christmas sniffles. Boo to your mortgage company for playing silly sausages like that

@EarthMama, great looking designs

@chandrakirti, that sounds a fun dinner, and new printers are always useful.

Typical British weather. It's icy at the moment, but they reckon we can have a beach picnic on Christmas day (now there's a good idea) :P:P

• Like 9

Little Dog would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. :)

As you can see, he is dressed as a Christmas Angel this year. :P

20171219_122831_resized.jpg

• Like 13
10 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Boo to your mortgage company for playing silly sausages like that

That made me laugh. :lol:

I just called them. The first person I talked to put me on hold and when they came back said they couldn't hear me so they were going to hang up and I would have to call back. Second call, the person started asking for more info from me that the first person didn't ask for. I hung up and tried one more time. Third person was pleasant and helpful. Told me there was some info about a letter (which the first person also mentioned), but I didn't recall receiving. She said that according to the information she was looking at it looked like the letter hadn't been sent. There was also something about a late payment, but I'm never late. Then she said that also looked like it was marked as incorrect. So some shenanigans and silly sausages. She said she would contact their insurance department and that I should hear back within 10 days. If I don't I will call them again.

• Like 7

@daveb - sadly, you'll have to stay on the bank - they probably won't 'get back to you,' or they'll conveniently forget to reach out to their insurance company, or the insurers will conveniently forget to look into it,  because that would involve actual...yaknow...work?

Unless you've got one of the good banks out there managing your mortgage?  They may be few & far between, but they DO exist...

@Mizzletoe - Little Dog is adorable. All he needs now is wings to complete the Christmas outfit :D

I just checked the weather, and we're supposed to get snow the night of the solstice, which is perfect for my freezing butt plans.   I'll have to try real hard to keep my meditation focused on patience instead of 'Oh...my frozen ass...'

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, EarthMama said:

sadly, you'll have to stay on the bank

Given the stuff about a "late payment" and a letter that was never sent to me I think you're probably right. But maybe someone there is more conscientious. :)

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Mizzletoe said:

Little Dog would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. :)

As you can see, he is dressed as a Christmas Angel this year. :P

20171219_122831_resized.jpg

Oh noes - the Cone of Shame :( 

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Blitzentan said:

Oh noes - the Cone of Shame :( 

Yes, he gnaws his leg if the cone is removed.  I do remove it so he can have a nice cuddle sometimes though. :)

• Like 7

Little Dog probably looks forward to cuddles 

Never mind white Christmas, looking at the weather forecast, I'll take a sandwich and crisps, folding chair and have a picnic on Hastings beach. (time permitting) 

• Like 6
44 minutes ago, Tja said:

@EarthMama, I'll be sending warm thoughts, for your "frozen ass". :lol:

They'll be appreciated!!! :lol:

• Like 6
On 19/12/2017 at 6:14 AM, chandrakirti said:

I cooked a vegan dinner for herself and boyfriend, which was lentil soup, ratatouille with pasta, then baked apples with cashew caramel sauce.

Depends on your vegan. I know some who eat what can only be described as junk food and another who lives on porridge, pasta salad, and falafels with three veg. 

Being allergic to wheat, soy, mushrooms, (all vegan sources of protein), tomatoes, and oranges, I find veganism a little difficult. I like legumes but not every day.

21 hours ago, daveb said:

got my escrow statement from them today

What is the reason for escrow on a mortgage? We don't have it here in Australia.

8 hours ago, Mizzletoe said:

As you can see, he is dressed as a Christmas Angel this year

He looks like a ballerina, complete with ribbon-tied ballet slipper and tutu.

• Like 6
53 minutes ago, Kazbe said:

What is the reason for escrow on a mortgage? We don't have it here in Australia.

They pay property taxes and homeowner's insurance out of that. I suppose one could also pay the mortgage and the taxes and the insurance separately and individually if you set it up that way. I'm not sure though, since I've always thought it was easier to have one monthly payment.

55 minutes ago, Kazbe said:

He looks like a ballerina, complete with ribbon-tied ballet slipper and tutu.

That's what I thought, too. Dance of the sugar plum sheltie?

• Like 9

@daveb :cake::cake: that pun 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, daveb said:

They pay property taxes and homeowner's insurance out of that. I suppose one could also pay the mortgage and the taxes and the insurance separately and individually if you set it up that way. 

Mortgage lenders (in the U.S.) typically require the escrow for at least the taxes. I assume that's for the lenders' protection, to ensure that the taxes get paid on the property they have a significant investment in.

I'm getting very close to paying off my mortgage. The timing should work well because the lender will have just paid my annual property tax bill a month or two before my final mortgage payment. So I'll have time to figure out which municipal agency I need to navigate to make sure future tax bills get sent directly to me.  Who doesn't love dealing with government bureaucracy? :o

• Like 6
52 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

I'm getting very close to paying off my mortgage.

Excellent!

Yeah, I didn't know if it was even possible to have a mortgage without escrow.

• Like 4

I suppose it's because employees in Britain are PAYE that our accounting for mortgages is different 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

I suppose it's because employees in Britain are PAYE that our accounting for mortgages is different 

For our cousins across the pond PAYE stands for 'Pay As You Earn' - we get a lump sum exempt (around £11,000 a year I think) from taxation. the rest is taxed at a rate varying how much you earn (so many pence in teh pound). As I don't earn a lot - most of my tax allowances are on my State Pension (all tax free) with a bit rolling over to my Civil Service Pension. I pay income tax on the bulk of it and every penny I earn at my part time job. 

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, Blitzentan said:

PAYE stands for 'Pay As You Earn'

Thanks for that explanation. I had no clue what @Sleighcaptain said. :P

But the taxes that get paid from mortgage escrow are state/local property taxes, not income taxes. Property taxes are based on the value of your property (house and land). :)

• Like 6
23 hours ago, daveb said:

I suppose one could also pay the mortgage and the taxes and the insurance separately and individually if you set it up that way

In Australia, we don't have property taxes on homes you live in, only on investment properties. If you rent out part or all of the property (or otherwise use it to produce income), you include the income in your tax return (and claim the associated expenses). You are also likely to pay capital gains tax when you sell it.

Insurance is separate from your mortgage so you can choose your insurance provider - or even elect not to insure.

We don't really have state or local taxes on properties but we do have council rates which are based on land value.

We also have PAYE in Australia.

• Like 4

@Mizzletoe, Little Dog is such a cutie!

Happy Solstice, everyone! I doubt I am going to go sit out in the snow, though. I will enjoy every second longer every day!

• Like 10

Yay, the winter Solstice! Nine hours and 1 minute of daylight in my neck of the woods...but the days will grow longer. I love this day!

• Like 7

Nine hours and 11 minutes of daylight here, with tomorrow being one second longer. We have already gained about three minutes of daylight in the evening!

I really don't understand the concept of PAYE and I'm sure it is fairly straightforward.  On the surface, it sounds like if you don't earn money you don't have to make the payment.

The mortgage companies and banks require you to carry insurance on the properties they finance in the US.  Most of them also require an escrow account, to ensure the property taxes and insurance do indeed get paid.

I went to the dentist yesterday and walked out of there with yet another (temporary) crown.  that makes two crowns this year....glad I have dental insurance that pays 50%.  I will have 5/8 of my molars crowned in gold.  better than dentures or implants.   I wonder if I could make a will that specifies that I want my dental gold removed and used to pay for my burial expenses? I have heard stories of people having a "burial tooth" made of solid gold for that purpose.   One time, my dad had saved all his old dental gold and had it melted down and made into a new wedding ring for my mother.

• Like 7

I had a gold crown replaced with a porcelain one at some point and the dentist gave me the lump of gold. Still have it somewhere, I think.

I'm weird. I actually like shorter daylight hours. :D (maybe I should celebrate the Summer Solstice more... but it's usually too hot then)

Woke up to a frosty day today, with fog, too. I went out and ran some errands and enjoyed the atmosphere. :)

• Like 5