anyone past 50 on here?

Hiya all 

@Kazbe hope you find a new job soon 

• Like 6

Sorry, @Kazbe.... Poop.

@will123, when I was looking at the two photos on my phone, the second one looked like it had more depth/contrast. But then when looking at them again on my laptop, I didn't see much (any?) difference.

Good luck with the start of your position, @chandrakirti and that the paperwork has gotten straightened out.

When I was a kid, one of my friend's dad called me "Digger." I'll leave it to you to guess why...and no, I didn't pick my nose!

The other night I was out for dinner with a male friend and saw a coworker. She texted me after: "Is that a boyfriend???" (Like I have a stable of them, haha!) I am sure I will get quizzed at work today about him. Sigh....

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise

I'm viewing @will123's photos on my laptop: I've studied them several times, and it seems to me that in the first (ie top) photo the colours are stronger and the detail a little clearer than in the second one.

• Like 4

On my mobile the top photo has deeper colours and stronger contrast 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, teatree said:

The other night I was out for dinner with a male friend and saw a coworker. She texted me after: "Is that a boyfriend???" (Like I have a stable of them, haha!) I am sure I will get quizzed at work today about him. Sigh....

I have 3 sisters and many times I've been out with one of them in public and people often assume we are a couple. That's been happening since we were teens (or possibly earlier). Or I have been out some where with a female friend (as in "just friends" or platonic relationship) and people make the same assumption, that you are a romantic couple (with coupling implied). Also, people often seem to assume 2 animals together are a couple. At one time I had 2 cats that were brothers; one was a bit heftier then the other and people often assumed they were a male/female pair. :rolleyes: :blink:

• Like 6
On 12/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, Mocha Jo said:

So, no holding on and hoping for the best here- bye bye house, and I will find some place that is more just mine. 

Actually, that sound fun.  A space you can make your own without outside influences?  I'd do that in a heartbeat if finances allowed...and I could talk myself into the whole 'packing all my stuff up' thing.  I really hate moving.
Just make sure you have enough room for all your spinning wheels (present inventory AND future :D )

On 12/2/2017 at 9:29 PM, daveb said:

I spent the morning buying and setting up a fake Christmas tree, decorated it with lights and ornaments, had a fire in the fireplace and Christmas music on my laptop. Sitting here now with the tree lights turned on, and getting ready to have some eggnog. :D Glad Yule!

The last year I did any decorating for Christmas, I bought a floor mat that said "Wipe your paws...you too, Santa!" and threw it outside my apartment door.  That was the extent of decorating.  

I used to be all about the holiday decorations - the tree, the lights, the stockings, the Christmas village (where I painted the individual buildings).  Guess I just grew out of the mad holiday frenzy.

but, then again, it's an effort to put things up on the walls.  

Might have to see if I can find a low-carb eggnog recipe...THAT I miss.

23 hours ago, Kazbe said:

I'm unemployed again.

THAT...sucks.  Hope you'll find something soon.

21 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I have been getting to know the camera on my new Samsung phone and took this photo yesterday.  The camera has an "enhanced" button for photos that really brings out the colors and the contrasts nicely.  Can you see the differences?

I think the top one had a bit more depth to it...lovely shots!

I managed to snag an awesome sunset shot the other day.  Really irritated the guy behind me, as I stepped on the breaks at the intersection instead of powering my way through the yellow turn arrow.  Totally worth it :D

• Like 8
10 hours ago, teatree said:

A while back I had a male co-worker who lived near me, and his car was being repaired, so I gave him a lift home a few days in a row. Soon a rumor had spread that we were dating, based solely on our leaving the office together more than once in a short period. :huh:

That is a glorious sunset, @EarthMama. There've been some uncharacteristically lovely ones lately in my area, but I don't have a good enough camera to capture them well.

• Like 8
23 hours ago, Muledeer said:

The camera has an "enhanced" button for photos that really brings out the colors and the contrasts nicely.

From what I can see the enhanced button boosts saturation and contrast, and may be vibrance as well. It's a fun feature but you could easily do the same with just about any photo editing tool including the one that is included on your phone, and with more control over what happens. 

Although I should talk - photography is a hobby of mine and I use presets in Lightroom all the time. Presets are (as the name suggests) preset combinations of exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, hue, saturation, vibrance, etc. I do however tend to use them as a starting point then tweak further. 

So maybe keep that in mind if you don't quite like what the enhanced button does for a shot - know that you can still tweak to your heart's content.

• Like 5
20 hours ago, miettaisace said:

Hey you're an aussie, have a beaut bonza christmas!!! 

You too!

• Like 4

I just got the BEST gift from my sister--a tea advent calendar!!!! Never heard of such a thing before, but as a fan of tea (and always looking to try a new variety), I am thrilled. It's a few days past the 1st, so I have some catching up to do.... :D

• Like 10
1 hour ago, teatree said:

I just got the BEST gift from my sister--a tea advent calendar!!!! Never heard of such a thing before, but as a fan of tea (and always looking to try a new variety), I am thrilled. It's a few days past the 1st, so I have some catching up to do.... :D

Was it in the shape of a (tea)tree? :lol:

4 hours ago, EarthMama said:

mad holiday frenzy

I just do what I feel like, so there's no madness, frenzy or pressure. :D

I like the little Christmas villages, but have never had one myself. I saw some youtube videos of people setting theirs up. Some of them go all out! More like Christmas cities! :)

I think I might get a wreath made of real pine for that extra touch and smell. There is a nail above the fireplace perfectly placed for hanging a wreath. I also want to get some kind of tree skirt or cloth because right now it's just the bare metal stand showing at the base.

• Like 9

@Kazbe- that really stinks about the sudden job termination. I hate that Christmas time seems to be when companies decide to downsize. Hopefully you will be able to pick up something soon.

@EarthMama, that really is a glorious picture! And, yes, the new house would have to have enough room for antique spinning wheels, lol! The next phase of the bathroom re-build starts Thursday. I have to do it as I can afford, though, so I expect it to take all winter.

boy, first day back to work today and it is amazing how all the irritants haven't gone away during my absence.

• Like 8
13 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

On my mobile the top photo has deeper colours and stronger contrast 

The top photo was "enhanced".  

Thank you to everyone for your feedback - I think it is interesting how the screen that you view an image on can make such a difference in the viewing experience.  I'm sure there are other variables too - like how much light is in the room where you are viewing and also one's perception of colors and contrasts.  I found it interesting that some people saw more depth in the unenhanced photo and I tend to agree.    The quality of cameras on cell phones has really improved.  The enhanced button is certainly an easy way to improve almost any photo, but I also agree with @Kazbe that the photo editing software gives you more options.  I tend to be a purist when it comes to photography - the shot you took is the shot you got - and I generally don't mess with things like enhancements or cropping images.

I would like to share one more eclipse photo with all of you - and this is NOT a shot that I took.  Rather, it was taken by someone at our Eclipse Gathering by putting his phone camera lens behind a binocular and a brightness filter aka "eclipse glasses":

Spoiler

IMG950205.jpg

• Like 9

I put the tree up last night and, miracle of miracles, kitties just looked at it, decided it was inedible, not a comfortable snoozing point and ignored it 

• Like 10
Autumn Sunrise

It's raining pitchforks and ploughshares here - we had a thunderstorm earlier, but now it's just settled down to solid raining. I'm glad for it, because it's great for the gardens and orchard, and all the new little trees around the property, but it's also surprisingly chilly. I think I'm going to need the heater tonight  . . . (thought it was supposed to be summer :lol:) The chickens are not impressed: I found them all in their house, huddled together on a couple of long perches and trying to pretend it's not happening.

Apparently because of a "super moon" acting on the high tide, there's been flooding around the edges of Sydney Harbour, and the pathway around the edge of the Botanic Gardens has turned into a creek :rolleyes:

• Like 9

@Kazbe Sorry that you lost your job. That was so mean of them! Hope you find something soon.

Have the day off today and did get a lot of things done. Still have much to do yet though.

@Tja My back is much better.

• Like 8

@daveb - I used to have, I think, 20ish little buildings.  I bought the rough plaster forms, cleaned up the seams, and painted them all.  Added tiny statues of trees, sleighs, and Christmas mice to inhabit the village.  Sadly,  I no longer have either the pieces or any pictures.  Maybe once my creative cycles swing back into painting, I'll recreate.

Get a wreath...sounds like you've got the perfect spot for it, and pine is a nice scent to fill the house with...and tree skirts can technically be made from just about any fabric (even an old blanket) you have on hand if you don't want the expense.

@Mocha Jo - There really is a double-edged sword to taking vacation from work.  Not only do the irritants not resolve themselves, you now have to play catch-up.   
Speaking of irritants, my boss is picking my nits again.  I really, REALLY want to tell her to go micromanage herself into oblivion sometimes.

@Muledeer - AWESOME shot of the full eclipse!  When I had to replace my cell phone 2 years ago, I specifically hunted down ones with really good cameras in them, because I wanted something a lot lighter than my DSLR to carry on a daily basis.  

About the only thing I like on my phone is the camera.  Otherwise, I consider the thing demon-tech.

@Sleighcaptain - it's a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!  :D  Someone's been very good this year?

We had some wicked weather last night.  December in Wisconsin is supposed to be cold & precipitation white...not so last night.  We had a big, windy thunderstorm.  The rain has since moved off, but the wind remains.  Walking just to the car this morning, I kinda wished I had a prehensile tail for balance. 

• Like 8
20 hours ago, teatree said:

I just got the BEST gift from my sister--a tea advent calendar!!!!

I saw two of those yesterday on my organic foods website, one from The English Tea Shop, the other by Pukka Herbal Teas. I'd never seen them before .

15 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I tend to be a purist when it comes to photography - the shot you took is the shot you got - and I generally don't mess with things like enhancements or cropping images.

Interestingly, the shot you take is the shot the way the camera captures it and is generally not what you see, as what we see is determined by our eye and our brain. So the camera only replicates how our eye works and saves that to a medium such is film or digital image, then the post-processing of that captured image replicates what our brain does with what our eye sees. Since photography began, photographers have manipulated the processing to get the shot they saw. Way back in the days of film, I remember learning how to do various different darkroom techniques to make the raw film image into something closer to what I saw, taking ideas from the works of greats like Man Ray. And of course, you can take it all further in the name of art - because photography is an art.

However, I think some photos are way overprocessed nowadays - especially a lot of landscape ones I see. I'm okay with that as long they are selling them as art rather than reality.

If anyone wants to see my photos, you can see some here - My photos. The site needs updating as I've taken some better shots over the past year, and I look at some of the ones there and wonder why I put them up! Note that I don't do a lot of processing on my animal or macro shots.

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

@Kazbe I'm righteously indignant on your behalf! I hate the way employers are treating staff like pawns in their game. I do hope you have some well deserved luck soon, but I think judging by your photographic portfolio, you could well make a new career there! I love the bird with the 'hairstyle' :D

@Muledeer likewise, that's a great photo and a beautiful place.

Glad your back is much better @Gentle Giant

That super moon looked great yesterday morning , @Autumn Sunrise thankfully we had no flooding here!

I'm finding the new job hectic but the day goes by like 5 minutes which is lovely. Unlike my 3 mile /2 bus journey which takes...wait for it....1.5 hours! The time my last working travel was supposed to take. :unsure:so I'm fighting the fatigue again. But, everything is going well enough. Weirdly, I keep getting messages from the dole saying I'll be sanctioned if I don't attend my meeting with the 'job coach' next Tuesday 12/12/17, but ....I'l be at work! I think they're all off their rockers. Anyhow, may be another wee while before I can AVEN, as I need to make sure I get rested for that big meet up on Saturday! :lol:Best wishes to all!

17 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I would like to share one more eclipse photo with all of you - and this is NOT a shot that I took.  Rather, it was taken by someone at our Eclipse Gathering by putting his phone camera lens behind a binocular and a brightness filter aka "eclipse glasses":

That's really cool!

12 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

I put the tree up last night and, miracle of miracles, kitties just looked at it, decided it was inedible, not a comfortable snoozing point and ignored it 

:D

12 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

The chickens are not impressed: I found them all in their house, huddled together on a couple of long perches and trying to pretend it's not happening.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

@Tja My back is much better.

Yay!

1 hour ago, EarthMama said:

I used to have, I think, 20ish little buildings.  I bought the rough plaster forms, cleaned up the seams, and painted them all.  Added tiny statues of trees, sleighs, and Christmas mice to inhabit the village.  Sadly,  I no longer have either the pieces or any pictures.  Maybe once my creative cycles swing back into painting, I'll recreate.

Get a wreath...sounds like you've got the perfect spot for it, and pine is a nice scent to fill the house with...and tree skirts can technically be made from just about any fabric (even an old blanket) you have on hand if you don't want the expense.

Sounds cool, too - I like the idea of having the village inhabited by mice. :)

I bought some white "satin" cloth (actually polyester) at the craft store for $8 and put that around the base of the tree. Much cheaper than the tree skirts they had for sale, and I think it looks good, with a few little wooden buildings I had made placed on top of it. Currently it's not inhabited, but I could add some of my miniature figures, even though they aren't you typical Christmas village people. More like snow goons (scary snowmen come to life), trolls, ice toad, and other fantasy miniatures... Maybe I should do that and take some pics. :)

1 hour ago, Kazbe said:

If anyone wants to see my photos, you can see some here - My photos. The site needs updating as I've taken some better shots over the past year, and I look at some of the ones there and wonder why I put them up! Note that I don't do a lot of processing on my animal or macro shots.

Oh! You have some cool photos there! The sundown pic that looks like Starry Evening (before Starry Night); the crow or raven on the grave marker, and the rest. Excellent work!

I have no compunction in cropping photos, adjusting contrast and lighting, and other manipulations. I have even removed random strangers from photos. :P 

• Like 8

@Kazbe - those are some fantastic shots you have there.  I especially liked the graveyard ones.  I may have to go wandering about the gravesites here in search of good images.

I actually have a 'celebrity' resting place right across the street from work.  Les Paul (the 'father' of the electric guitar) is buried here, in his hometown.  I've actually visited the grave, and found that musicians leave guitar picks on his gravesite...either as a tribute to the man, or hopeful players looking to really 'mojo' up their gear.

@daveb - fantasy figures for Christmas decorations?  Too cool.  I'd love to see some pictures :D

• Like 8

@Kazbe Your photos are beautiful! I agree with what daveb said about them.

@daveb I’d like to see your Christmas village inhabited by fantasy creatures!

@EarthMama That’s too bad you no longer have your Christmas village and/or pictures of it. Hope you can recreate it someday.

• Like 6

OK, here are a couple of photos, of the full tree with lights on and all, and a closer view of the Christmas village (with snow goons, giant ice toad (behind the tree near the mill) and troll (lurking near the corner of the last house on the right). Let me know if the photos don't show for you. These are posted from google photos, which don't always show up for everyone for some reason.

-FSQUccjniIFrXggSLIw92mKTVvwtQ8sBze53U_V

VHPZF8jMXAA1lyQ-51w5geDX_Y0vegfPUtxw6EHW

In case these photos don't show for you try the same ones (but on flickr) at 

@Kazbe that is a delightful collection of photos.  And what a great perspective you shared about photography as a form of art.  My great grandfather was an accomplished artist and photographer and he would create oil paintings during the winter from the photos he took during the summer exploring the mountains.  I have found it interesting looking at both the photos and paintings created from them and the artistic liberties he took in creating the scene as he saw it, not just as the photo showed it.  thanks for sharing your web site.

Nice tree scenes, @daveb!

• Like 6

@daveb thanks for posting your photos. I can’t see them in this thread but could see them in the Avenites 2017 photo thread. I also liked seeing your books and CDs behind the tree.

• Like 5

@daveb I can't see the photos here, but I was able to see them in the photo thread.  Very nice!!  

@Muledeer Awesome eclipse photo!!

@EarthMama Sweet sunset!

Sunday night we had a snow storm and got about 5 inches or so.  I was able to use my Snow Bully I purchased this fall.  It works pretty great.  Much easier than using a shovel.  I'm glad to see folks getting into the Christmas spirit.  This weekend I'm going to make gifts for the folks in my office.  

• Like 5