Cool!

5 hours ago, EarthMama said:

I did manage one sorry shot

I like that pic. 

9 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

crossed fingers

good luck!

4 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

It's really arty IMHO, not a bad photo by any means.

agreed

Totality was only about 30 miles south of me, but I didn't want to deal with traffic or crowds, so I stayed home for the eclipse. We did see the crescent shadows and (with eclipse glasses) were able to watch the moon's shadow move across the sun.

Meanwhile, today we're having rain and cloudy skies and cool weather. :D 

• Like 5
On 11/18/2017 at 6:30 PM, Autumn Sunrise said:

I assume it's the shelves you're planning to mount to the wall - not the cats :lol:

This made me belly laugh!  Thanks for that!

faraday going off to stomp on her smoke alarm also made me laugh.  I always have the same problem--they just keep beeping even if I replace the battery.  Aaarghhh.  Has anyone seen the "Friends" episode with Phoebe's alarm going off?  :lol:

I'll jump right into the movie/music discussion to say that I've loved the Lulu song "To Sir With Love" ever since seeing the movie way back when.  I still listen to it from time to time via my Spotify app.  10,000 Maniacs also has a lovely version, which features Michael Stipe from R.E.M. (I love his voice; he could, as they say, sing the phone book and I would love it).

I'm looking forward to a Thanksgiving feast in a couple days.  Mine is not traditional (I'm a vegan-leaning vegetarian), which only makes me love it even more than when I was growing up.  This is my favorite holiday!

• Like 5

Oh gosh! I'm watching an Australian TV comedy called "The Letdown" and there was just a scene where the main character and her 'pretend' husband (long story) were in a priest's office, discussing having his baby baptised. I'm paraphrasing the dialogue but it was roughly like this:

Priest: We haven't seen you here recently.

Woman: Oh yes, we were here only two weeks ago when you gave that lovely speech about the LGBT ...Q ...I community.

Priest: LGBTQI and ....

Woman: Oh, A. LGBTQIA. Yes, we can't forget the asexuals.

There wasn't a trace of cynicism in the delivery.

:blink::D:lol:

• Like 7

@chandrakirti, @daveb - Thanks for the compliments on the shot.  Back in 'the day,' when I was rarely seen without a camera between me & the world, I did a lot of artistic photography stuff like this.  I even took a teapot down to the beach one day, just because I wanted a pictographic play on a Tempest in a Teacup.

If I got strange looks, I was oblivious.  The focus was on the image I had seared into my head. 

For Thanksgiving this year, not planning out much.  The SO's niece will be home from college (it's her first year) so we'll be going over to his sister's place for the feast.  I plan on sticking to keto, so hopefully there'll be something there for me besides the turkey meat.  If not, I plan on bringing my own beverage along (heavy cream, some SF flavorant, diluted with water) - this concoction keeps me full enough to not binge on carbs.

For Black Friday, I plan on becoming a hermit (which is usual) and not dropping a shoelace outside the door.  The shopping madness is not me.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, blue dog said:

68 here married but going it alone. any others as same ?

Let me be the first to offer some :cake: and welcome.

• Like 4

@Muledeer did you see the snakes?  That was the one thing I missed.  

I got my tattoo today.  Actually, I had 2 of them re-worked.  I made my flower black (instead of the brown color), and I have a tree over another tattoo that I really didn't like.  I'm going back in 2 weeks to get a sunflower.  When I heal, I'll post some pictures.  

It's suppose to be in the mid-50s on Thanksgiving day.  So far no white stuff.  Maybe by Christmas, we'll have some snow.:)  

Did I post this?  Sorry if it's a double post!

Welcome @blue dog  It's the same for me, and I think you'll find lots of folks in similar situations.  

• Like 4
4 hours ago, blue dog said:

68 here married but going it alone. any others as same ?

Welcome and :cake: !

I'm not sure I understand what you said - do you mean you are getting divorced? 
I have never been married myself.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

did you see the snakes?  That was the one thing I missed.  

Welcome @blue dog  It's the same for me, and I think you'll find lots of folks in similar situations.  

No, I missed the snakes (also called shadow lines?) too.  I even looked for them.  And the only heavenly body I saw besides the eclipse sun was Venus, which was chasing the sun.

I second the welcoming of @blue dog.  How did you choose your name?  I'm not racist when it comes to dogs - I like all colors!  *I'm not racist when it comes to people either*.

I liked your eclipse photo too, @earthmama.  And I will not be shopping on black Friday, either.

And finally, it is good to see there is mainstream acknowledgement of asexuals, @Kazbe

• Like 8

in order to reflect the state of my bank balance "Black Friday" should be called "Red Friday" :P:P

• Like 7

@blue dog, welcome to the forum; hope you enjoy hanging out here. :cake: :cake:

Sorry to hear about your dog's accident, @Mz Terry, and hope he'll be his regular self again ASAP.

@Gentle Giant, I hope your back is or soon will be feeling better. 

@pickles mcgee, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday too. I have great memories of many childhood extended-family gatherings for the occasion. While not quite as big anymore, Thanksgiving is still my family's largest get-together of the year. (My fondness for it is helped by the fact that while I'll help with the prep and setup, I'm never the cook. :rolleyes:)

I find the thought of Black Friday to be almost nauseating. :o

Hope all who are celebrating tomorrow enjoy the holiday.

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, @blue dog :cake: :cake: :cake: I also have been married, but for a number of reasons, it didn't work out. However I did end up with three great kids!

@Kazbe I can't believe asexuals actually getting a mention from the pulpit (but I suppose it was just on TV). I kind of get the feeling that most Australians have never heard of asexuals :(

@EarthMama Your eclipse photo is awesome!

I really like the idea of Thanksgiving - we don't have anything like that here - but I think Black Friday sounds awful - probably worse than the Boxing Day sales here, and from what I'm reading it has begun to infitrate the Australian marketplace  :twisted:  Needless today, I will not be participating!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it :D

• Like 10
Autumn Sunrise

I watched a truly awful movie on TV last night, called "Jurassic World". I found it shallow, very violent and completely unengrossing (is that a real word? :lol:) I suppose it did have a kind of message - don't mess around with genetic engineering - but the message seemed to be buried under an avalanche of mindless sensationalism :huh: I was  glad I hadn't gone out to the theatre and paid money to see it!

• Like 7

In Britain we inherited Black Friday about a decade ago. Mind over here there are so many sales it's hard to find something at full price :P

I should be getting ready for work, but I'm being used as a pillow by kitties at the moment 

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

It's time for me to be getting my Christmas/holiday cards into the mail, especially the O/S ones. I have some addresses from last year, but if anyone else on here would like to receive a card from Australia, just send me a PM with contact details - PO box is fine if you prefer that :) I don't know about anyone else, but I love getting cards from all over!

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

It's time for me to be getting my Christmas/holiday cards into the mail, especially the O/S ones. I have some addresses from last year, but if anyone else on here would like to receive a card from Australia, just send me a PM with contact details - PO box is fine if you prefer that :) I don't know about anyone else, but I love getting cards from all over!

This is JUST what I was about to post!!!! I too have addresses from last year, so if I have yours already, you'll be getting a card. (And no expectations of reciprocation, if cost of postage is an issue.... I just like to send snail mail.)

• Like 7

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate. I am enjoying a quiet day, as our family dinner won't be till tomorrow (due to a niece who is working today). So today I am cleaning and doing laundry and just puttering around, then a hike later with the younger of my dogs. And I will wear my neon yellow jacket because it is hunting season and I don't want to be mistaken for a deer!...

• Like 5

I'll be at a friends house for Thanksgiving.  This person is a really good cook, so I'm looking forward to the yummy food.  I have no plans to venture out for Black Friday.  I personally don't think the savings are worth the crowds or standing in line.  I can't believe some people literally camp out the day before.  Many just miss Thanksgiving so they can shop.  I just stay home and hangout with my pets.  I do most, if not all, of my shopping online anyway.   

I hope everyone has a great day!!

• Like 5

Thanksgiving 2017.  We have unusually warm weather scheduled for today and the entire weekend.   I am spending the holiday weekend in Salt Lake City.  I plan to go to my cousin's home for a family dinner this afternoon and I will bring a jar of my homemade pickled beets for a garnish.  My two brothers, who live in St George about 300 miles to the south, always invite me but I don't like driving that far just for a gathering.  I'll probably find some outdoor yard chores to do during the warm daylight hours today.

Thanksgiving provides an opportunity to take inventory of my life and acknowledge the assets that really matter.  I am especially grateful for having a job (even though I dislike it) my wonderful dog, my reliable truck (both dog and truck are getting old) my generally healthy body, and what is left of my mind:D.  And I want every one of you to know that I appreciate YOU - all of you wonderful folks who read and contribute to this forum, and especially the moderators who keep things ticking (yes, that means you @Skycaptain and @Frankentan).  I feel like I know many of you as my friends.  I also appreciate the folks who run AVEN and provide this website free from advertisements and spam. 

That reminds me.....I need to donate for the server upgrade.

Thank you, ALL OF YOU, and Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 9

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Did my Pilgrim routine this past Sunday but no pictures this year. However I look the same so anyone going back a year in this thread will see the exact same mugshot LOL. 

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I watched a truly awful movie on TV last night, called "Jurassic World"

I only saw the first and 2nd movies in the franchise. The first was good, the second was rather forgettable (not that it's hard for me to forget things! :P )

2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I have no plans to venture out for Black Friday.

Me neither. There are plenty of offers online anyway. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Whether you celebrate or not for me it's a nice day to reflect a bit and take time to appreciate things like all of you good people: @Mz Terry, @Techie, @Muledeer, @faraday, @teatree, @Autumn Sunrise, @Skycaptain, @Semisweet, @EarthMama, @pickles mcgee, @Mocha Jo, @Frankentan, @Tja, @Kazbe, @chandrakirti, and I'm probably missing some people. Not to mention a number of people who no longer post here. :D 

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Happy Thanksgiving back! :D Hope you have a great one, @daveb & everyone.

Welcome @blue dog, you're in good company (nay - great company here!) It's an educational site with loads of support.:cake:

@Autumn Sunrise, when I saw that Jurassic Park film, the only bit I liked was the 'greyhound stable' of Velociraptors run by Chris Pratt's character, they were funny, chasing him on his quad bike. the rest? meh.

Great news about little dog @Mz Terry, more power to him!

I'm with you on the nauseating black Friday @Semisweet, here they're having a black week...<_<

Those were very thoughtful sentiments, @Muledeer! I am thankful for a job I DO like and my lovely pets, friends, and family. Oh yes, and my health (knock on wood)!

Just went for a hike with a friend and his dog. It was sunny and not too cold, so an enjoyable time. I have been invited over to have dinner with him and his wife in a couple of hours, so that was a nice surprise. (I am doing our family Thanksgiving tomorrow at my sister's house.)

No Black Friday shopping for me tomorrow...blech. I keep as far away from it as I can....

• Like 8

A couple of comments from Canada about Boxing Day and Black Friday. When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s, Boxing Day sales were a way for stores to get rid of their Christmas stock. Greeting cards, wrapping paper and decorations were put on sale at a deep discount. And then more recently stores put major merchandise on sale. A background to all of this is that a lot of Canadians are very dimissive of all things Americans, yet when it does creep across the border they embrace it whole heartedly. We would tsk tsk at the footage of shoppers in Walmarts knocking over staff when the doors open and/or fighting over a 50 dollar microwave.

Now Black Friday shopping seems bigger than Boxing Day (I avoid both) here, but the violence hasn't happened yet that I know of.

• Like 6

Same in Britain. Black Friday didn't exist fifteen years ago, but is now a the biggest retail day of the year 

Let's have the French Soldes system, one month a year of reduced prices only, so as not to confuse consumers 

• Like 3

Was watching a piece on BBC Morning tv from a new Amazon distribution centre. They said BF sales peaked around 2014 but not much since - however once it started they couldn't stop it.

I've spoken to my son who's working today. He said it was just a normal trading day, people grocery shopping but no great rush to the upstairs. Told him to look out for a good wok going cheap. This after they closed the store for 5 hours to 'prepare for Black Friday' - waste of all the overtime payments

• Like 4

🎵  He's making a list
And checking it twice;
Gonna find out Who's naughty and nice ...   🎶

nothing is more effective than a list to exclude people and hurt their feelings. 

• Like 3