• Announcements

• Kisa the Cat

World Watch Archiving Project

Hello everyone, Please read this thread before posting to World Watch Thank you.
    • Kisa the Cat

Avenues May/June   05/09/17

Hello AVENites! The newest edition of AVENues is now ready! Our theme this time was "ace connections".  May/June
boots57

anyone past 50 on here?

17081 posts in this topic

Great one @daveb, beautiful comeback! (drum roll followed by cymbals...!:lol:)

So looking forward to the decorating , my little house will be respectable enough should I want to move. 

@Finding myself, I hope so too, however they are obsessed with me at the moment. There must be something wrong with someone who sits mumbling f....this, f...that about me all day while I sit silently working.

@Deja Vu, what a shame to have a sore knee , it must feel a lot worse at night, night seems to magnify everything. At least you are sorting out other things around you , good on you for that.

6 people like this

@chandrakirtiThey're a lot taller than Shetland ponies - 13-14 hands (a hand is 4 inches) - whereas Shetlands are only 7 hands. @Autumn Sunrise They do come in lots of colours and look less chunky and draught horse-like when then they're in their winter coats. They're quite finely built underneath all that fluff!

@daveb and @Autumn Sunrise -  Tropical paradises are my idea of hell. I too prefer cooler places.

@daveb - I'm the same. I don't kill insects unless they come in the house and won't leave. Mostly I just catch them and chuck them back outside.

I hit the big 6-0 last year - did nothing to celebrate except take the day off and have lunch with a couple of friends. I turned 61 two weeks ago - did nothing at all! 

8 people like this

Happy Belated Birthday, @Kazbe! :cake:

5 people like this

Happy belated birthday, @Kazbe. One should always take your birthday off work! At least. @chandrakirti- how weird to go out of their way to give you a hard time about being "educated" :( I am afraid that is where the US is going, too. Reminds me of Maoist China. Good to see you back, @Deja Vu.

Not much going on here. It is going to rain again tomorrow... Again. And I am supposed to get my upstairs window ripped out so it can go in the dumpster before it has to get picked up. Maybe they can put plastic over the hole to keep the endless rain out.

7 people like this

I was in Iceland in 1992 - in November, when it felt like someplace out of Dr. Zhivago. Really no tourism there yet, and it was very wintery. The hotel (I think there was only one) served a buffet made up of fish, fish and more fish. Plus whale blubber. Not great for someone like me who does not like fish!

I remember the ponies being VERY hairy, obviously getting ready for winter. As far as miniaturizing, yes I think that is true. On the Shetland Islands, ponies, cattle and dogs are smaller.

I'd go back in a heartbeat! Would love to see it now.

7 people like this

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, Gentle Giant said:

We have wasps in the front yard. Mom is determined to kill them, but I think we should just leave them be if they are not bothering us. They were flying around while I was washing the car but didn't come near me. I just ignore them. They have nests dug in the ground and some are under a wooden peice on the edge of the driveway. Kind of near the door going in the garage. We put up some air filled paper bags to trick them into thinking they're hornets nests and scare them away. We'll see if that helps. She's been messing with the mounds and I think she should leave them alone. She's thinking of getting a spray to kill them with. I did mention the use of soap water but she doesn't want to pour that on the lawn. Do you guys use hot soap water? Or just soap water whatever temp.? Maybe we could fill a bottle with soap water to have on hand in case they get in the house?

This year has been a mild year for wasps, compared to last year.  There were several huge paper-type nests bigger than soccer balls all around.  Generally I let them bee (sorry for the lame pun) unless they were a threat.  The large nest in the bush by the hose faucet was a threat and I used two cans of wasp and hornet spray until they finally succumbed.   One year there was a very active hornets nest in the ground on the lawn where I groom the dog.  I used so much poison on that one that it killed the lawn in that area for the entire summer.  Another time, I discovered a wasp nest in a ditch I was excavating.  I emptied a can of spray on it but then things went horribly wrong.  The dog, knowing it was a threat, removed the nest after I had killed it and chewed it up.  I think it made her sick.  Why do dogs like to kill bees with their mouths anyway?  For that reason, I try to avoid poisons in my environment whenever possible, including mouse, and rat, and gopher poisons.  Well, that is not entirely true, as I currently have a "no pest strip" hanging above my kitchen table.  They work wonders for killing flies or some other insects that have ventured inside.  I also use fly swatters for the indoor flies and wasps.  I have a little battery operated insect electocutor that is about the size of a badminton racket with a steel mesh electrified grid that makes them sizzle if you can catch them while flying.  Remember those outdoor bug zappers that would just kill any and all bugs that they attracted with the constant crackle of death?

Welcome back, @Deja Vu We've missed you!

7 people like this

Hiya peeps 

Welcome back @Deja Vu

Belated happy birthday @Kazbe

Round our way the insect problem at the moment is ants. They are attracted to the cat's dinner bowls, and I don't want to use Nippon in case it's toxic to the cats, as I can see them accidentally eating any ants on their food. 

6 people like this

10 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

@Finding myself, I hope so too, however they are obsessed with me at the moment. There must be something wrong with someone who sits mumbling f....this, f...that about me all day while I sit silently working.

That is appalling, @chandrakirti  I hope they lose interest in you soon.  My sister worked in offices, and was often made miserable by office bullies who decided to pick on her for a while before choosing another victim.

5 people like this

8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Round our way the insect problem at the moment is ants. They are attracted to the cat's dinner bowls, and I don't want to use Nippon in case it's toxic to the cats, as I can see them accidentally eating any ants on their food. 

When I had a cat I had his food bowl sitting inside a "moat". In that case it was a plastic thing that clipped onto the bottom of the food dish and you put soapy water in the dish. That keeps the ants from even getting to the food dish. The best thing with ants is to remove all temptations for them - that is, nothing edible for them. Otherwise you get tons of them. When they do show up in hordes soapy water helps wash them out and wipe out their trails. Also find out where they are going and deal with whatever it is that's drawing them in.

Personally, I'd rather deal with ants than wasps. At least ants usually don't fly around and don't sting (although some bite).

12 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

I was in Iceland in 1992

That sounds really cool! Too bad you don't like fish though. One concern for me when traveling is food. It's one reason why I probably wouldn't travel to Asia. I don't care for most Asian cuisine I have encountered. :( 

3 people like this

Happy birthday @Kazbe!!

I prefere cooler climates too.  However, I'd like to visit some warmer climate places too.  Cuba is on my list!!:D

Iceland in the 1990s sounds very authentic and unspoilt @Deja Vu.

So Icelandic ponies are quite tall then, @Kazbe, they do have beautiful manes as well.:D

I always worry when I hear people taking so much pleasure in killing, my mother used to put wasps on the gas ring and laugh with delight when they burned. If you take the time to really look at a wasp, they are so beautifully marked. I love the close up photos of moths and other insects because they are so intricately formed. Some have furry shoulders , some have iridescent scaling on their wings. Oddly enough my mother eventually had terrible burning pain in her feet due to diabetes, so she understood how that must have felt for the wasps!

@faraday☘, Cuba was a very popular holiday for a colleague I used to work with, he went with his whole family every year and loved it. All that music and culture was a magnet. 

When I was in Nepal I loved the food, it was a twist on Indian food, but they had this really dangerous Lime Pickle, I'm sure it could eat a hole in anyone's stomach.