anyone past 50 on here?

SilverFlower

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and cake everybody.  My avatar is my beloved dog and companion of 11 years, Valentino.

• Like 11

Valentino has very soulful eyes! What a sweet-looking dog.

• Like 10
SilverFlower

He is also a service dog.  I have epilepsy and he knows when I am going to have a seizure before I do and warns me.  He's not just a handsome face, also very smart.

• Like 13

As well as photo bucket, Imgur are not supporting some photos I've uploaded. 

I'd advise everyone to put photos onto discs and upload them individually if you want to share them. That way you don't lose them if either a host plays silly sausages or your hard drive fails

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Valentino is very well named, @SilverFlower, he looks like a heart breaker...I bet he has a queue of doggy admirers.

Sounds like a good idea @Skycaptain. My only difficulty is that although I have many discs of photos that I got when I used to actually go to the photo printers, dealing with these things I take on the phone cuts out that option. I'm told by all- knowing daughter that if I get a cable I can transfer them from the phone to the laptop. That would be good, as the videos could be saved before the next Microsoft update crash! :lol:

3 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

I'm told by all- knowing daughter that if I get a cable I can transfer them from the phone to the laptop.

Sometimes I email my phone photos to myself so I can grab the attachments while on email on the computer and save them to my computer. Of course, that can be limited depending on memory limits in you email, but mine has a pretty generous memory allowance. Then I can delete the email so it doesn't clog up the email storage limits.

It's still useful to have a cable that allows you to connect your phone to your laptop. :)

They are repairing/repaving the streets here. Today they have been doing resurfacing on the section I live on. With some sort of heavy equipment to tamp things down apparently. Lots of noise (although it comes and goes as they work their way up and down the street with the various stages of the process). From what I can so so far it should end up looking nice and new by the time they are done. I plan to stay at home today (and probably tomorrow as well, since it seems the expected time frame was give as July 17-19).

• Like 9
Gentle Giant

I took the link to the picture out of my signature since it's showing that update account picture instead. Phooey! I liked having the Gentle Giant picture I had there! I looked up more about this situation and you can read about it in link below. You don't lose your pictures and can still store them, it's only if you want to host them elsewhere that they want to charge you $2.49 a month to be able to do so. Being able to put pics elsewhere was the reason I signed up for it in the first place. So, I'll probably just close my account. But I wonder if there's still a way to share photos, like though email or giving a link to go to my photo's folder? Maybe I'd still use it.

http://www.photobucket.com/P500/

• Like 8

FWIW, @Gentle Giant, I'm still seeing your same account photo. Maybe that's now browser-dependent somehow?

Welcome to newcomers @SilverFlower and @Alanxo -- and enjoy this freshly baked :cake:! (And by freshly baked, I mean it's about 90 degrees here as I typed in the cake emoji. :lol:)

I have to give a presentation at work tomorrow, not my favorite activity. Am I bad for hoping that hardly anyone shows up for it? :huh:

• Like 9
Gentle Giant

@Semisweet My picture is probably still in your cache. If you refesh the page it will be gone as I deleted the link too.

Good luck on your presentation!

• Like 6
BobRossRules

Yippie for service dogs.  While at work, my dog is in my office.  I know my way around the office very well, so I don't need her when I go to the copy room or restroom.  However, someone left the door open in the hall and I ran into it.  I hit my lip and it's swollen a little. Kinda funny.  

It's a nice day today.  A little warm, but there is nice breeze.  

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

freshly baked

I had a cake mix for "Chocolate Lover's cake" ("Perfect size" according to the box - came with its own 6 inch round cardboard cake pan) that was getting close to its "best by" date, so I baked it this evening. It's cooling right now. :)

2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Am I bad for hoping that hardly anyone shows up for it? 

I don't think so. :) Either way, as @Gentle Giant says, good luck!

54 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I hit my lip and it's swollen a little. Kinda funny.

Ouch. I guess some people pay good money the get their lips swollen... 8) (well, I hope it doesn't hurt much!)

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Ouch! @faraday☘, hope it hasn't put you off...as @daveb says...at least you saved some cash on fillers.:D:cake:

@Semisweet, nah, probably you're probably in very good company for thinking that you hope few people turn up, I bet most public speakers quietly think the same. As long as Powerpoint doesn't derail anything, you'll be on the money, bet you will!:D.

Last night there was an amazing thunderstorm here and a resulting power cut. I couldn't find the cat for ages and so I was late into bed after I found her. She went out into the garden when the weather was fine, but just cowered where she sat as this monster unfolded. Eventually I got to sleep, but woke at 4am, wondering what had startled me. Lo and behold, my plugged in bedside clock...flashing away, after needing a reset that I forgot after the blackout. Good job it's a day off (even though I work this Saturday). 

@chandrakirti, I had two rather scared furry companions curled up next to me during that storm. I've never known one like that, the lightning was almost continual, not flashes and the thunder was a constant with no breaks. Some properties behind mine were flooded by run-of-the-mill, which has never happened since these houses were built. 

Annoyingly it's even warmer and more humid now than beforehand. 

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yes, @Skycaptain, something's afoot with climate change, glad you didn't get affected by the flooding , hope it wasn't a big flood for everyone else. At least we don't live in Cornwall, i think the poor folk there will have to carve out runoffs right down to the sea to keep their lovely villages on land...or get in the beavers for landscaping purposes. it's a known flood plain where I live, although it's not flooded yet. There are moats around the area and runoffs into waterways , but it's as near the fen land as I'm willing to go.

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

...the lightning was almost continual, not flashes and the thunder was a constant with no breaks.

I experienced that only once, in Tampa, FL, where that is apparently normal. Was visiting a cousin and a storm broke out. The palm trees in her apartment complex were bending almost horizontal. She said that was typical. I was just amazed at the continuous lightning ⛈ .  

• Like 8
Finding myself

Hi everyone. 

Welcome newcomers. 

So sorry @Mocha Jo on the loss of Tasha. Well done on putting her first. 

Sorry for your loss @Autumn Sunrise. Poorly chicken. 

I have been to Stockholm for 4 nights. Had a great time. One day exploring alone and 2 days joined by my eldest nephew. One day we went to Grinda on the ferry ( one of the islands in the archipelago ). First time abroad for 10 years for me. Gradually re-gaining confidence. 

I am now a year older :o! And it was a BIG birthday. Seem to be celebrating all this week with different friends. 

• Like 8
23 minutes ago, Finding myself said:

I am now a year older :o!

Happy Birthday, @Finding myself!!! Glad your enjoying the celebrations!

• Like 6

Don't think I mentioned that the weekend of 1-2 July Barney and I went to the Banbury Open Rally Competition. Ist July we scraped an 'Excellent' (192), Sunday we got 198 (our third 'Excellent') and gained 4th place!! So , that means we can put 'Level 1 Exc' after 'Golden Oriole Sings' :D 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Finding myself said:

First time abroad for 10 years for me. Gradually re-gaining confidence. 

I am now a year older :o! And it was a BIG birthday. Seem to be celebrating all this week with different friends. 

Good for you and Happy belated birthday! Multiple celebrations with various people is good. :) (more opportunities for cake and/or good meals and such)

3 minutes ago, Tanwen said:

Barney and I

Congratulations! (or should I say "Excellent!"?)

I think the street repairs here are done. It's been quiet today and the street looks good.

• Like 10
BobRossRules
23 hours ago, daveb said:

Ouch. I guess some people pay good money the get their lips swollen... 8) (well, I hope it doesn't hurt much!)

17 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Ouch! @faraday☘, hope it hasn't put you off...as @daveb says...at least you saved some cash on fillers.:D:cake:

:lol: Only if it was even!!  It's was swollen just on one side.  But it didn't hurt too bad.  I was more embarrassed.  Today, it wasn't swollen much and you couldn't tell.

Happy birthday @Finding myself:cake:!!

I'm off to Iceland in 2 weeks.  I'm super excited!!  I'm going through my stuff to make sure I have everything I need.  Since I got my hair dreaded, my hooded jackets don't cover my hair.:lol::o  So I have to get a ski/climbing jacket that is designed to fit over a helmet.  I ordered one, so hopefully it will get here before my trip.  If not I'll make do.  

No rain here.  About a week ago, however, there was some thunder and lightning.  Fortunately, my pets don't care and they don't get scared.  

• Like 8

@Finding myself, happy birthday, glad you're enjoying Sweden 

Yays @Tanwenand Barney. 

• Like 5

@faraday☘ Iceland! I'm so jealous. It's a place I've always wanted to go. It's was on my bucket list for years but I no longer have a bucket list because its become clear to me that I will never have enough money to travel to the places I'd like to go.

re: photos - I have all my photos on my computer as I'm an amateur photographer. I use Lightroom and such to process my images. However, that doesn't help me get images on the threads here. I'm on Flickr but some of photos I'd post here (cats, etc), I wouldn't post on Flickr, plus all my photos there have a logo which shows my real name. Must be an easier way of sharing images.

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Lovely to hear such good news around, @Finding myself, @Tanwen and @faraday☘! Hope it's a whole season of good stuff coming up for all.

Iceland and Stockholm sound marvellous, definitely for the bucket list.

Been raining badly again here, it's making up for a very dry winter.

I went to see the Planet of the Apes film yesterday and couldn't help noticing something ironic (not about the film, it's probably on the button).

Before the film started , among the ads there was this one for a local adventure playground called 'Go Ape', which has rope bridges etc. It said that if you take your kids along to the place and hand over your ticket for the apes film, they would donate half the ticket money to.....children in need.

Can you spot the incongruity here? Or maybe it's just me being out of step with everything!:lol:

BobRossRules

I had a little rain in my neck of the woods.  When I left for work it started to rain and lasted for about 30 minutes.  It was nice, and it cooled down some.  However, it quickly cleared up and to it's warm again. That's summer for ya.   

• Like 4

@chandrakirti, that incongruity reminds me of the bake sale they held at my office to raise money for the hungry. :huh:

@Finding myself, your getaway to Stockholm sounds delightful -- so glad you took the leap. What was your favorite part? And happy big birthday to you! :cake: :cake: 

I'll be curious, too, to hear about Iceland from those of you headed there soon; it's "on my list" (and one of the closer European destinations from the East Coast). At the moment, just the thought of Iceland is having a pleasantly cooling effect on me on this exceedingly steamy day. :unsure:

Meanwhile, my presentation at work yesterday went fairly well. I even got some compliments for the content and delivery. You can fool some of the people some of the time...

• Like 8

Happy belated birthday, @Finding myself- hope you get a whole birthday week out of it. I always try for that.

iceland! Wow, what a great adventure, @faraday☘- are you going to try pony trekking? Icelandic ponies are the bomb- they have a cool running walk called a tolt that is supposed to be very comfortable.

my bathroom renovation is coming along- I now have no walls! Yay! I can see what I want where and now I can really plan. I just have to do it as I can afford to. Thank heavens for an extra bathroom in the house, lol.

Your weather sounds like ours, @Skycaptain. It has been so incredibly rainy here. And not just rain, but downpours with inches in short amounts of time. I am thankful I live on a hillside except that the water all runs down to where the horses are. We have had 2 days without rain, so of course we are going to get some tomorrow...

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Meanwhile, my presentation at work yesterday went fairly well. I even got some compliments for the content and delivery. You can fool some of the people some of the time...

Congratulations! I'm sure that's a relief to have it done, and to have it go over that well is a nice bonus.

We had a little rain here today as well. A nice but fairly brief bit of Summer rain, and the rest of the day has been nice and not too warm. :D

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

Happy belated birthday, @Finding myself :cake: :cake: :cake: and what an interesting place to spend your birthday . . . I'm a little envious :lol:

@Semisweet I'm glad to know your presentation went well, and I agree with @chandrakirti - I think you're being too modest!

@Tanwen Congratulations to Barney . . . and you!

While most of you are enjoying summer, we've been having a chilly spell here - hard frost this morning! I had an early appointment, and I had to defrost the windscreen,  windows and mirrors, before I could safely drive off. I was pouring water onto the windscreen, and as fast as the ice melted the water re-froze :o I eventually managed to get off, and just made it to my appointment in time :D

The daffodils are still coming up at a great rate - I think they must love the cold :) I'm still working my way through the pruning, and trying to look at what I've already done rather than how much there is still to do. It's not a bad job, actually  I quite enjoy it once I get into the rhythm :)

Bizarrely, considering how cold it is, some of our chickens are coming back onto the lay (or in the case of some of the newer ones, laying for the first time). I think a couple of them didn't really get the idea: we have laying boxes, lined with straw, but yesterday I found one egg in the yard (by almost stepping on it :excl:) and I had to winkle another one out from under the chook house!

• Like 7

"Winkle"--had to look up that one! ^_^

• Like 5