anyone past 50 on here?

ugh, image hosting and linking. Makes me wary of any image hosting site and potential future issues. Of course I keep local copies of everything I want to keep, backed up in multiple places. But that doesn't help with linking to pics, especially on sites like AVEN where you can only post links, not directly upload pictures (which also carries its own set of issues, especially for whoever runs/owns the site your uploading to).

I have thought about getting pet insurance when I get cats, so it's good to know if there are issues and if it's worth it. It cost me a LOT of money when my old cat got sick.

I've never been to the Cotswolds, but they (it?) always sounded like a lovely place to visit. Maybe some day. :)

I think I will have a lazy day in today. :) 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Tja said:

Cool, @chandrakirti! I'll be in the Cotswolds in December. Probably too cold for cheese rolling, then.:P

I plan to be in the Cotswolds tomorrow!

• Like 5
2 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Maybe a big ace meet up for @Tja?:D

Nice!!!

I'll be spending 29th December with Elnae (who'll be showing me the Cotswolds). Then staying overnight, at The Hare and Hounds, in Tetbury.

The rest of time in London, until the 2nd January.

• Like 4

You'll enjoy New Year Eve in London 

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

You'll enjoy New Year Eve in London 

What would you suggest I do?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Alanxo said:

Getting there fast :ph34r: 

Welcome!

Have some :cake: 

• Like 5

Welcome @Alanxo- this is a fun place to drop in and chat.

A meet up sounds like fun! Too bad I don't get on planes. 

I had such a fun day today at a Scottish festival with so many clans and bands! A friend hand makes kilts and so many of her customers stopped by to say hi, show for their kilts and tell stories. And for a change it didn't rain!

• Like 8
BobRossRules

Hi @Alanxo.  Welcome to AVEN!!

I just use Facebook for my photo sharing, and I created an account just for that.  I only use it for photos that I want to share, it doesn't have anything personal, no wall, etc.  It works great.  I kept running into problems with photobucket and other photo hosting sites not being consistent.  Sometimes I could see the picture, but then others could not. 

• Like 6

Sadly, Facebook and Flickr give away my identity, so I don't want to use them on a public forum.  Looks as though my photo sharing days are over. :(

I suppose I could open a Facebook page specially under my name here.  I will think about it.

• Like 4

I'd be interested in that method too. I have so many memories held to ransom by Photobucket. How do you do it? 

*Sorry, not tech savvy*

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

My daughter keeps telling me all my photos and videos are on the cloud (whatever that is), but on the increasingly more common crash events my phone is having, it's a bit like trying to catch one!

@Tja New year's eve in London has an event a bit like Times Square, everyone who wants to gathers on and around Waterloo bridge to hear Big Ben chiming. There are loads of bands and other entertainments as far as I know, but if you don't like crowds.....maybe you could have a meet with the many aces in London on either side of the new year.

30 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

@Tja New year's eve in London has an event a bit like Times Square, everyone who wants to gathers on and around Waterloo bridge to hear Big Ben chiming. There are loads of bands and other entertainments as far as I know, but if you don't like crowds.....maybe you could have a meet with the many aces in London on either side of the new year

Thanks! I started looking things up this morning.

There's a river cruise, with dinner, that goes to the fireworks. Watching the show on the river sounds nice.

I'll have to wait until the trip is closer, then I'll post for a New Year's meetup.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Yes, that sounds more civilised than jostling for position with the crowds.You might have to book early though.

Most of the websites show they're not booking yet, with one saying not until Autumn. I'll check back in early September.

• Like 4
On 14/07/2017 at 7:58 PM, Autumn Sunrise said:

We had to say a sad good-bye to one of our first chickens today. We found that Maddie (an Australorp) had a tumour in her mouth, and there's not much you can do about that, so we took her to the vet to be put to sleep. (I'm afraid *cats* and I used up quite a few of the vet's tissues :() I think we'd had her for almost six years. We only have one of our original chickens left now - Maddie's sister, Astra. She still seems to be in good shape, although I don't think she lays much any more. She's an honourable and cherished pensioner!

Sorry to hear about Maddie. We used to cry when our chickens at Uni died. So much for scientific impartiality.

• Like 7
BobRossRules

@Autumn SunriseI'm so sorry about Maddie. 

I'm getting ready to visit some friends and have some burgers.  I'm bringing ice cream.  It will be nice to be a little social.  I've been so busy with projects and appointments, I haven't really had much fun time.  I've been lazy enough though.  

The weather is nice here.  Only in the 70s and we have a nice breeze.  

Anyone can sign up with Facebook with an anonymous name.  Maybe under your pets name?  However, you'll want to use an email address that won't connect others.  Maybe even getting a new email address with the same name.  Mine isn't anonymous though, but at least it doesn't have any personal information, except for pictures. 

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

My condolences to those of you who lost pets recently.

Hello to the new folks!

So far my signature picture is still showing. I use Photobucket. I didn't know they were making people pay to use it now. Guess I'll just let it go then. I probably won't sign up for anything new and certainly will NOT get on Facebook! No way! I heard that once you get on there you can't delete your account.

I've been in sort of a grumpy mood lately. I work weekends by myself now as they aren't in any hurry to hire more help. I hate having to be the only housekeeper for the whole building. It is so frustrating and tiring! I didn't used to hate working weekends, it was fine when there was 2 of us. I'll be glad when I'm off Tues. and I will have off the next weekend, glad we don't have to work every weekend.

• Like 7
SilverFlower

Hi All,

Newbie here at the age of 55.  I just signed up today and did an into thread called "Sex: Been There, Done That".

Nice to meet everyone.  I look forward to fun and fellowship here.  And cake, of course.  gluten_free_coconut_flour_cake.jpg

• Like 8
1 hour ago, SilverFlower said:

And cake, of course.

Welcome!

Have some iconic :cake: , freshly typed.

• Like 5
SilverFlower

Thanks, Dave!

I think it's great, being gluten intolerant, that I can have all the (virtual) cake I want here.

• Like 9
On 15.7.2017 at 9:49 PM, chandrakirti said:

Hi @Alanxo, welcome :cake:.

Maybe a big ace meet up for @Tja?:D

On 16.7.2017 at 0:33 AM, daveb said:

Welcome!

Have some :cake: 

On 16.7.2017 at 4:11 AM, Mocha Jo said:

Welcome @Alanxo- this is a fun place to drop in and chat.

A meet up sounds like fun! Too bad I don't get on planes. 

I had such a fun day today at a Scottish festival with so many clans and bands! A friend hand makes kilts and so many of her customers stopped by to say hi, show for their kilts and tell stories. And for a change it didn't rain!

On 16.7.2017 at 4:32 AM, faraday☘ said:

Hi @Alanxo.  Welcome to AVEN!!

I just use Facebook for my photo sharing, and I created an account just for that.  I only use it for photos that I want to share, it doesn't have anything personal, no wall, etc.  It works great.  I kept running into problems with photobucket and other photo hosting sites not being consistent.  Sometimes I could see the picture, but then others could not. 

22 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Welcome @Alanxo :cake: :cake: :cake: I hope you enjoy it here, and find some new friends :)

Thank you guys! :D

tumblr_nvz0gvk6hE1rytwo9o1_400.gif

• Like 8

Welcome @SilverFlower:cake::cake:

• Like 4

Wow, I am gone for four days on here and this thread bumps up 2 1/2 pages. 

I got to go riding and swimming 🏊 this weekend. Was feeling really rundown but pushed on anyhow. I am thinking the BP meds and sleepness nights from weather are taking their toll. My right leg that had tendinitis two years ago is bugging me a bit. It never really went away. But with so much riding it is getting angry again. I am going to have to moderate a bit I think.  I was out briefly Friday evening at our local railroad station and realized that I had been at that same spot exactly 40 years and 1 day ago. That was the anniversary of the 1977 NYC blackout and I had seen the huge lightning bolts to the north that knocked out the transmission lines to the city from the train station. We had not lived there a month and it was still a novelty to go and see the train 🚂 in the evening. Also there was an experimental gas turbine train that they would run through that was interesting to see. 

Been having a case of gremlins. Several things at the office and home suddenly started malfunctioning. I have managed to get most things back but my main office PC is testing the limits of my skills at this point. It just refuses to fix despite following all Microsoft procedures. Very odd. 

My sister is expecting her car this week by Friday. Turns out she is being sued but does not know any details. Worries me enough that I am looking at bumping my liability coverage from $500K to $750K. It is $15 more for six months. Getting too risky now. Police 👮 assigned joint fault so neither has any claim IMHO but I guess that is up to the lawyers. Just takes one idiot to do something stupid and you are wiped out. 

Been playing with an Amazon Echo Dot my sister gave me for my birthday 🎉. Finally got a cheap smart outlet that I can turn on and off by voice command through the Echo as well as my phone 📱 . Planning to put several at my mothers since she is not handling lighting much. I already have an attic fan setup since this morning that I can control now. I ordered a few more smart outlets and will give one to my sister for their Echo Dot. 

Otherwise se we are back to hazy hot and humid so I may not get out much at night. Bugs have been bad.

• Like 9