anyone past 50 on here?

Darn, @daveb- that's awful about your tooth. :( I broke a molar on a popcorn kernel, and got a root canal and cap to hold it together. It hurt constantly (I guess it was the teeth next to it that hurt since that one had a root canal). Eventually I had the cap removed and it lasted another couple of years before it broke further. I had it pulled. Much simpler. I hate it when my mouth hurts! Good luck with finding a dentist that doesn't break the bank.

• Like 8

Erin Moran, Joanie from Happy Days, has passed. Poor troubled soul. Child stars can get so screwed up, when they fall out of favor. RIP

• Like 3

^^ I just saw this on the news. She was only 56....

• Like 5

Morning all, hope your having a good weekend. 

I'm not sure I'm cut out for hiking after yesterday. Today my feet and ankles are complaining somewhat. 

They say that exercise is 50% mental so I'm having a marathon session listening to coverage of the London marathon :P

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I'm not sure I'm cut out for hiking after yesterday. Today my feet and ankles are complaining somewhat. 

Where did you hike? And how far?

• Like 8

Hope @daveb can sort the dental treatment out soon. 

I took Dog to a bluebell wood today, in a different area to the last one.  We stopped for coffee and cake before walking round.  The bluebells were wonderful, the fragrance lovely, people were friendly and there were also fantastic views over the landscape as we were high up in the hills.  We sat on a bench and watched distant birds of prey, probably buzzards, riding a thermal from the valley below us.

Dogs are great ice breakers, and people talk to you if you have your dog with you.  A little boy of about two fell in love with Dog and was rewarded by a friendly lick on his outstretched, trusting little hand.  Dog is good with children.

Spoiler

WP_20170423_10_43_21_Pro_zpsr3fyffml.jpg

Spoiler

WP_20170423_10_40_47_Pro_zpsm2ljqtk3.jpg

• Like 13
Just now, Tja said:

How does Dog take his coffee, @Mz Terry? :P

He had water from a bowl very considerately provided.  He hasn't told me how he rated the water but he lapped it up happily.  He also liked the little  corner of cake I shared with him.  He is one contented little dog now, sleeping at my feet. :)

• Like 10
Finding myself

@Mz Terry the bluebell landscape photo is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. Dog looks lovely. 

@daveb sending wishes that you can find a good, reasonably priced dentist easily and get your tooth sorted quickly. 

• Like 7

@teatree, we started out a Matlock Bath, up a steep hill to Upperholme, into Cromford, up to Black Rock, a steep climb, but worth it, across to Stackholmes and back. Only about 10Km, but three steep climbs. 

• Like 7

@Mz Terry: fabulous pictures! I love bluebells. Dog looks adorable.

@daveb: Good luck on the dental front. Good to know that you are so capable of laughing about it all!

We've had a better than forecast day today, so I've spent a couple of hours outside, using a friend's power washer. The path up to my front door is now cleaner that I think it has ever been, and certainly shades lighter than it was this time yesterday. It looks disconcertingly different, as a result. It should be less slippery, too.

I'm finally putting the finishing touches to a knitting WIP, which I had planned to have completed about two years ago. Unfortunately, I fell out of love with the project, hence the delay. I know that I've made a mistake, too, but I figure that nobody else will notice, and I'm not feeling pernickerty enough to put it right. (If you can't see a mistake, there isn't one, right? Just a creative amendment to the original pattern!)

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Hope @daveb can sort the dental treatment out soon. 

Thanks!

I agree that the bluebell photo (like previous ones) looks fabulous! Is Dog a Sheltie? Looks like a nice dog. My sister got a dog water bottle with drinking bowl on top - you squeeze the bottle to make some water come up into the bowl. Seems to work well for her little dog. Not sure if it would work for larger dogs.

2 hours ago, Finding myself said:

@daveb sending wishes that you can find a good, reasonably priced dentist easily and get your tooth sorted quickl

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Only about 10Km, but three steep climbs. 

"Only"? With some steep climbs thrown in. If you don't do that often it's no wonder you're feeling it. Good on you for doing it though!

10 minutes ago, Tystie said:

Good luck on the dental front.

Thanks!

Is it just a myth or is it true that in some (all?) Japanese crafts you're supposed to leave (or create?) a small error? Something to do with hubris and/or pride when you try to make things too perfect? :) 

• Like 7

@daveb, I don't know about Japanese art, but Persian carpets always include a missed stitch or similar, as only Allah can be perfect

• Like 7
Finding myself

@Skycaptain I do not view that walk as 'only' anything :D 10km with 3 steep bits is impressive. Especially the steep parts! 

• Like 8

Behind again. :D   I haven't had time to tune in as one of our key team guys at work is on vacation in England.  So we are all covering his work.  I have gotten home from work and just want to plop down and watch TV rather than compose posts.

I did two hikes this past weekend: one yesterday and one last Friday.  The wild flowers are spectacular right now.  I took lots if photos.

Coyote Ridge: https://goo.gl/photos/JeUvTQfE96Wbu1Wf7

Henry Coe: https://goo.gl/photos/Jpmhs3MMT1UUuAKe6

On Saturday I went on the Silicon Valley Science march (held in San Jose, California).  I got to hear Mayim Bialik speak.  I didn't really see her though as there were lots of tall folks in front of us on the grassy lawn in front of the speaker's stage.  We had close to 10,000 folks attend the march according to the organizers.  My favorite sign of the day was "The Empiricists strike back."   :)   We also had fun seeing folks from Comic Con wandering around downtown.  There were some pretty impressive costumes but I'm not a comic fan so I often didn't know the name of the hero or character they were portraying.  The couple I recognized were spider man and a star trek uniform.

This coming weekend, I am spending three days at the Point Reyes Hostel.  So I'll probably fall several pages behind again here!  The weather forecast looks lovely so far: no rain and sunshine.  

Cathy

• Like 11

Excellent photos, as usual, @cdrdash! Has Frodo retired from the hiking trail? :D

On 4/23/2017 at 0:08 PM, daveb said:

Is it just a myth or is it true that in some (all?) Japanese crafts you're supposed to leave (or create?) a small error? Something to do with hubris and/or pride when you try to make things too perfect? :)

I've not heard this, @daveb. But, that doesn't mean it's not true. ;)

I asked my neighbor if he knew someone who could redo the top steps  leading to my basement. I had the door moved when I had my kitchen redone. They were on a spiral, and needed to be straightforward. He said he could, as he used to work construction. *I had no idea*. Anyway, he came over today, re-configured the steps, and as I had to buy a new saw and blades for him to use, I decided to give them to him, because he did a great job, and I used gift cards, so they were free. Since I gave him the new saw, he refused any extra payment for the work. We almost got into a row over it. I insisted that since I used gift cards the saw was free, yet he refused to take anything, as it was a very nice saw. It bothers me, but, I got 5 hours of very good construction done...for free.

• Like 8
35 minutes ago, Tja said:

I asked my neighbor if he knew someone who could redo the top steps  leading to my basement. I had the door moved when I had my kitchen redone. The were on a spiral, and needed to be straightforward. He said he could, as he used to work construction. *I had no idea*. Anyway, he came over today, re-configured the steps, and as I had to buy a new saw and blades for him to use, I decided to give them to him, because he did a great job, and I used gift cards, so they were free. Since I gave him the new saw, he refused any extra payment for the work. We almost got into a row over it. I insisted that since I used gift cards the saw was free, yet he refused to take anything, as it was a very nice saw. It bothers me, but, I got 5 hours of very good construction done...for free.

Sounds like a win, win, win situation to me.  Your steps got fixed and hour house is improved, so a win for your house.  You got the work done without hiring a contractor and used up your gift cards.  A win for you.  And your neighbor was happy with his payment and getting to help you out, and he will get to look at his handiwork every day, so a win for him.   I wish everything in life could work out so nicely.

• Like 6

I think the Japanese tradition is to mend something like pottery that had been broken with gold to celebrate and enhance the broken part. There are some gorgeous pieces I have seen online. I have also heard the story about the Persian weavers leaving an error in deliberately. 

Those bluebells are amazing! And Dog is adorable. 

I am am still puttering around. I got my seeds started inside. Finally. And all the compost from my pasture clean up is now a garden bed waiting for a heavy mulch layer on it. I am going to try out mega mulch this year to cut down on on weeding and to reduce the need for watering. I have seeds in for kale, tomatoes, hot peppers, butternut squash, pickling cucumbers, pumpkins, and beans for drying for soup. Once I get beds constructed I am putting in cilantro, dill, and basil. That should do it for the space I have!

• Like 8
22 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Sounds like a win, win, win situation to me.  Your steps got fixed and hour house is improved, so a win for your house.  You got the work done without hiring a contractor and used up your gift cards.  A win for you.  And your neighbor was happy with his payment and getting to help you out, and he will get to look at his handiwork every day, so a win for him.   I wish everything in life could work out so nicely.

Well...can't argue with that...:lol:

• Like 6
Gentle Giant

I got a few things done today on my day off. Made some blood work appointments that I've been meaning to do. Went to the grocery store and used my gift certs for perfect attendance at work. The afternoon I spent sewing the curtains by hand that I will put up in the basement windows. I listened to some records and tapes while doing so. Some I listened to: Bachman Turner Overdrive - 1st, Bad Company - 1st, Styx - Cornerstone and Men at Work - Business As Usual.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Tja said:

Excellent photos, as usual, @cdrdash! Has Frodo retired from the hiking trail? :D

epmO2mVf6MG81mMIVJVXk963lrHtxJ_2lbKMOJ5S

Darn Cathy keeps forgetting to let me ride on her backpack.  She keeps leaving me at home to keep Wendy Wolf company I guess.  Maybe one of these days she will realize I'm all dried out from having the poison oak washed off me and ready to go out hiking again!!

Frodo

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

I have also heard the story about the Persian weavers leaving an error in deliberately. 

I'm probably just remembering that vaguely. :)

2 hours ago, Tja said:

Well...can't argue with that...:lol:

I agree with @Muledeer. You both won. :)

1 hour ago, Gentle Giant said:

I got a few things done today on my day off

Sounds like a productive day.

1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

ready to go out hiking again!!

Frodo

:D

I had my dental appointment this afternoon/evening. It went pretty well (for a dental appointment). Now I have another crown (temporary one - I go back for the permanent one in a couple of weeks).

• Like 8
19 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

Very best wishes to you all.

Same to you! Take care and hope to see you back in 6 months!

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Thea2 said:

Hi guys, I have decided to take a break from Aven for 6 months. Very best wishes to you all.🍀🍀🍀

See you in 6 months.  Take care and have fun.

• Like 6

@Thea2. Take care and look after yourself 

• Like 6

Hope everyone is doing well!

My break is over, and I leave out this weekend. Heading to Alabama, then, onto Florida. Will be back home at the end of June.

2 weeks off in July, then out again until xmas.

Those 2 weeks will be very busy, as I have to finish all the details for my end of year vacation. (I'll have less than a week to finish getting ready, when I return in December)

Getting my passport (which is a little scary, as I will be on the road when it arrives) is top priority.

It's still a few weeks until my officially accepted birth certificate comes in, so, I have to wait until I'm home again, in July, to get the passport processed.

Take care, All!

• Like 8
On 4/23/2017 at 1:47 PM, Finding myself said:

@Skycaptain I do not view that walk as 'only' anything :D 10km with 3 steep bits is impressive. Especially the steep parts! 

I always hate the end of my cycling in Toronto. There's quite a steep incline regardless of the route away from Lake Ontario to the train station :angry: .

• Like 7