anyone past 50 on here?

I spent some time today assembling a chest of drawers (got the chest done; still need to do the drawers) and rehanging a door. Time to relax! :) 

• Like 7

@Tja do you think your ketogenic diet is sustainable for the long term?  I read Dr. Adkins book and his diet is similar.  I learned that excluding nearly all carbs from the diet is very difficult, indeed, and it really doesn't work unless you keep the total daily carbs under a threshold of...like...20 grams per day.  In addition to cheeses, eggs and meats, tree nuts are also acceptable.  I failed to consider the salt content of these kinds of foods and that came back to bite me lately.  I have been able to adopt a moderately low carb lifestyle although I really don't count them anymore and it certainly isn't ketogenic by any means.  I am really glad it has worked for you.

@Semisweet those car repairs are costly aren't they?  My recent fender bender in the company car cost about $1,500 to repair and there was no body work involved - only the replacement of the plastic grill, bumper, and other plastic on the front end of the car.  And it didn't even scratch the car I drove in to!

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Semisweet said:

@Tja, that's great about your weight loss, and I imagine it felt good to clear out the dozens of clothing items you no longer needed.

Thanks, @Semisweet! After the truckload of things I got rid of, last year, the good feels are continuing. :)

Sorry about your car troubles!:( Hope you get it settled quickly.

1 hour ago, Thea2 said:

Well done 👍 and congratulations 🎊🍾🎉🎈 

Thank you, @Thea2!

47 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Tja do you think your ketogenic diet is sustainable for the long term?

I think so, @Muledeer. I've been able to keep the carbs well below 20 grams. I've spent the last few months figuring out how maintain it on the road

This was the biggest hurdle, as I am still eating from truck stops and gas stations.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Tja said:

I've spent the last few months figuring out how maintain it on the road

This was the biggest hurdle, as I am still eating from truck stops and gas stations.

If you can maintain any sort of diet under those conditions you're doing great!

I finished assembling the chest and drawers and a nightstand. Whew! A lot of work, but it's all looking good. :)

• Like 10
5 hours ago, daveb said:

... finished assembling the chest and drawers and a nightstand. Whew! A lot of work, but it's all looking good. :)

Yay, well done.

I once bought a desk that needed assembling😖. I could not figure out how to do it and ended up throwing away the lot😡.

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise
3 hours ago, Thea2 said:

Yay, well done.

I once bought a desk that needed assembling😖. I could not figure out how to do it and ended up throwing away the lot😡.

Maybe they left the allen key out of the box :lol:

I've spent the day visiting a beautiful cold climate garden with *cats*.  We had a great day, and of course, brought home a few new trees and shrubs from their plant nursery. More planting coming up!

Tomorrow morning my son and I will be off on a 5-day train trip. It will be a different kind of holiday from any I've had before and I'm really looking forward to it :D However I won't be around here for a few days as I'm not taking my computer and I don't have a smart phone. I'll catch up with all you guys next week. In the meantime, have a great weekend!

• Like 9
BobRossRules

@Tja Yippe!! congrats.  Speaking of pancakes....I like this pancake-like bread (the recipe was on youtube).  It's 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons of coconut flower, a tiny bit of vanilla, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder.   You can cut in half for a single serving.  You cook them like pancakes in a pan with butter.  So they're great with cinnamon and stevia as pancakes, but you can use them in other things too.  If you're making pizza bread, you can add oregano or basil.  If you're making tacos, you can add cumin to it.  For sandwiches and burgers you can add hemp hearts or flax or something.  However, I mostly use lettuce with burgers and sandwiches, but I do like the variety of keto bread.:D

@Muledeer it's not possible to eliminate ALL carbs, as they occur in veggies.  However, eliminating processed carbs (like sugar, breads, etc) and very starchy veggies (like potatos) is the idea.  Mine ranges about 25 or so.  However, I have a lot of peanut butter, almonds, and avocados, so I sometimes go over.:D  

I so happy the weekend is here!  I don't have any plans, but I may watch a movie.  

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

@Tja Yippe!! congrats.

Thanks, @faraday☘! I will definitely try this recipe. *Would it be good with almond flour?*

I tried bulletproof coffee today. One word: Blergh!:(

Oh...I have to confess: I bought peanut M&M's today. Ate 3, and almost barfed. Threw them away.:redface:

• Like 8

@Tja: congratulations on the weight loss...and on being so disgusted by the M&Ms that you threw them out!

@Autumn Sunrise: wishing you happy travels.

To everyone else, have a good weekend! Unlike @faraday☘, I'm not sure how happy I am that it has arrived. I've been enjoying a few days off work, and now the weekend is here, that means that my break is coming to an end. Back to the office on Monday.

• Like 8
Finding myself

@Tja so pleased the ketogenic diet is suiting you. Well done with making such a huge change. 

@Autumn Sunrise wishing you an enjoyable trip. 

@Gentle Giant hoping the cold passes quickly. 

@daveb yippee for book cases and other furniture items and less boxes. 

I am continuing to do more walking. Nothing too amazing! Probably walking about 15 miles a week. 

• Like 6
25 minutes ago, Tystie said:

Tja: congratulations on the weight loss...and on being so disgusted by the M&Ms that you threw them out!

Thanks, @Tystie! Glad you've been enjoying time off. :)

6 minutes ago, Finding myself said:

so pleased the ketogenic diet is suiting you. Well done with making such a huge change. 

Thank you, @Finding myself! Good job on the walking!:)

Sounds like the homestead is really coming together, @daveb!

• Like 6

Hiya 

@Autumn Sunrise. Have a safe and enjoyable journey 

@daveb. Great the construction session has finished a success 

I seem to have a one day weekend again :unsure:, and they say there's a slim possibility of snow next week :o

• Like 8

@Autumn Sunrise, bon voyage! The train travel sounds fun. I hope you tell us more about when you get back. :)

I broke a tooth today, a back molar (that I think had a root canal or some other dental work at some distant point in the past). It doesn't hurt, but will need to be tended to. Of course it happened right before a weekend so I won't be able to get anything done until next week at the earliest. I don't have a dentist or dental care, so I guess I'll have to find a dentist and hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :blink:

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, Tja said:

Hope you can find a reasonable dentist.

Thanks! I don't even know how to find a reasonable one.

• Like 7
44 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Sorry you broke your tooth, daveb. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to fix.

Thanks! I guess I will find out something next week.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, daveb said:

I broke a tooth today, a back molar (that I think had a root canal or some other dental work at some distant point in the past). It doesn't hurt, but will need to be tended to. Of course it happened right before a weekend so I won't be able to get anything done until next week at the earliest. I don't have a dentist or dental care, so I guess I'll have to find a dentist and hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :blink:

Well, that sucks.  I always feel vulnerable when having to seek professional health care in an unfamiliar location.  I bet your sister can provide a good reference.  My latest crown on a back molar cost around a thousand bucks.  Back molars take all the torque of eating.  What were you eating when it broke?  

I just got settled in to my mountain trailer for the weekend and built a fire in the woodstove tonight.  It is cold!...like minus 3 C and it hasn't even gotten dark yet.  I saw a large herd of Elk grazing in the sagebrush on the way up here.  Time to get some supper. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Tja said:

you're getting long in the tooth

Well, in this case, getting short in the tooth. :(

55 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I bet your sister can provide a good reference.  My latest crown on a back molar cost around a thousand bucks.  Back molars take all the torque of eating.  What were you eating when it broke?

She said she wouldn't recommend her dentist because they're good but not cheap if you don't have insurance. I was eating pizza (pepperoni), nothing hard and I don't think I was putting undue pressure on the tooth. I guess it was just a matter of time before something broke it.

57 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I just got settled in to my mountain trailer

Sounds pretty cool!

• Like 7

@daveb. Sorry about the tooth, hope it's not too painful either physically or financially 

• Like 6
BobRossRules

@Muledeer Yay the mountains!!  I would love to be able to retreat and just isolate myself for a few weeks.  Do some hiking and playing with my dogs.:)

@daveb good luck with the tooth repair and finding a dentist.  Will you partake in Nitrous?  

@Tja I drink bullet proof coffee.  However, I spread it over 12 cups of coffee and my coffee if VERY weak.  My 12 cups is equivalent to probably 4 cups.  I supplement with stevia and, of course, chocolate.  I put cinnamon in mine too.  It keeps me going all morning and early afternoon.

@Tystie I hope you enjoy the last bit of your freedom!! 

I watched Split last night.  It was weird.  Today I'm just going to Nextfix and chill (literally:D

• Like 5
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

hope it's not too painful either physically or financially 

Thanks! There really isn't any physical pain so far. Financial might be a different story. :lol:

2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

good luck with the tooth repair and finding a dentist.  Will you partake in Nitrous?

Thanks! I've never had nitrous for dental work (or any other reason). I wouldn't mind trying it, but it's never been offered to me. I've had my share of Novocaine (and sometimes have had to get more than one shot of that during the course of dental work). I think the part I dislike the most is just the discomfort of having my mouth stretched open for a long period of time and having to deal with awkward positions and trying not to swallow the water while they work (and occasionally, pain). Well, also the aftermath, while still numb and after the numbness wears off, can be unpleasant, too. Not to mention the financial part! :P (actually, I am not a fan of anything to do with dentists/dental work)

• Like 8
14 hours ago, daveb said:

...her dentist because they're good but not cheap...

My opinion: this time go with your sister's dentist. Then afterwards you can find another one at your leisure. A cheap dentist can be false economy (some work I had done needed to be redone by another dentist). Best of luck with it!🍀

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Thea2 said:

My opinion: this time go with your sister's dentist. Then afterwards you can find another one at your leisure. 

I agree with this. Alternatively, @daveb, you could look up nearby dentists through the American Dental Association website, and presumably Google a few of them to see who gets good reviews. I always disliked going to the dentist's office until I found my current one. They're very gentle, and the one time I needed a filling, the dentist personally called the next day to make sure I was feeling OK! I hope can get your issue resolved promptly and satisfactorily.

• Like 9