anyone past 50 on here?

8 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I have a sore throat, which usually means I'm getting a cold.

I hope you don't get a cold and that you feel better soon!

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Ugh. I have a sore throat, which usually means I'm getting a cold. Boooo! 👎

I know that sinking feeling when you can feel you are coming down with something.  It really sucks looking forward to being sick for the next few days.  Do you have any zinc, or supplements containing zinc, or even something like Airborne or vitamin C? - they might help to lessen the length or severity of a cold.  Honestly, I don't know if any of that stuff really works, but I respond very well to the placebo effect so if I think it can help it probably does in some strange way.

• Like 9

I always gargle with warm salt water when my throat is sore, and it most always does the trick. I'm not sure why salt is beneficial, but it works.

• Like 6

Iodized salt, like Morton's, or non-iodized?

Well, I got a bunch of boxes of books unpacked and loaded on the shelves. There's actually a fair bit of space left. I'll check the few remaining boxes that haven't been unpacked yet and see if I can rearrange some other shelves I bought previously (which might make good storage for other things like hobby stuff). It's good to have all of those boxes unpacked! As my sister said, it's really looking like a living room/library. :)

• Like 7

Hope it doesn't develop into anything serious, @Gentle Giant

@daveb. Yays for getting your shelving done and everything unpacked 

Iodized or non-Iodized salt # first world problems :P

• Like 6

Belated thanks for the birthday wishes, everyone! @daveb Fantastic cake! @faraday☘: You know, I think I'll give your cake a miss, what with all the cat drool on it, and all! ;)

I had a good day. Instead of just going for a walk, Chum scooped me up, and we went to visit a local garden. The sun shone and was warm! The flowers were great: a stunning magnolia, lots of rhododendrons, the weirdly named American Skunk Cabbage, and other things I couldn't being to name. We also saw a lot of rabbits and the very first bluebells of the year. We then went for coffee and scones before heading home.

Then, because it was such a gorgeous evening, we went for a walk down the glen, where we saw lots of cute lambs and some sand martens. These are the first of the summer migrants I've seen this year, so it was really good to see them! We also checked out the local bluebell spots, where some leaves are showing, but we are still weeks away from seeing any flowers.

Re the lambs (vegetarians, look away now!): we bumped into one of the local farmers. Well, actually, we got herded along a lane by her sheepdog, and brought to her side. Then we had a chat. In the course of conversation, we said how delightful the lambs were, particularly the black ones, and how much fun they all seemed to be having, gamboling around the fields. She agreed, and we watched some playful white ones for a while. And then she proceeded to tell us how delicious they were, and how the colour, texture and taste of the black and white lambs varied, which kind of killed the moment!

@Gentle Giant: I hope your cold comes to nothing, and that you feel fine soon.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Tystie said:

Re the lambs (vegetarians, look away now!): we bumped into one of the local farmers. Well, actually, we got herded along a lane by her sheepdog, and brought to her side. Then we had a chat. In the course of conversation, we said how delightful the lambs were, particularly the black ones, and how much fun they all seemed to be having, gamboling around the fields. She agreed, and we watched some playful white ones for a while. And then she proceeded to tell us how delicious they were, and how the colour, texture and taste of the black and white lambs varied, which kind of killed the moment!

Ha Ha that would be a horrifying conversation for a vegetarian.  Having a background in meat science, I would have talked lamb meat with her for quite some time.  We, too have a lot of baby lambs and especially calves populating the pastures.  Sometimes I slow down and gawk at the baby animals. 

@daveb I bet if you posted a photo or two of your yard you could get some good landscaping suggesting from your AVEN friends:lol:

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Tystie said:

weirdly named American Skunk Cabbage

If I remember correctly I think that name comes from the fact that it smells bad (not unlike skunks). Sounds like a really nice day for you!

@Muledeer, it's not so much ideas that I lack, it's the motivation to do the physical labor myself. Not to mention, it probably wouldn't do my tennis elbow (got sore enough with all of the work the last couple of days) or my back any favors. The backyard is basically just wide enough to leave side openings on either side of the house, extends back a good ways, in 4 levels. The first level has the decks, a lawn, and water feature/pond, with a hedge along most of the edge next to the next lower level (with the sides open, and one narrow opening in the hedge). The second level is only a couple of yards/metres deep, with grass (and dandelions). The third level has 2 apple trees. And the last level has a couple of evergreens (2 different trees, which could be spruce or fir or pine or something). Each level is probably about a yard/metre below the one above it. The first level is probably a few yards/metres from front to back (maybe 20 feet or so?), while the other levels are not as deep (2-3 yards/metres, I think).

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Tystie said:

the weirdly named American Skunk Cabbage,

I have only known that plant as skunk cabbage, and I had no idea it grew anywhere outside of our mountains.  I bet French fries are not called that in France, and I have always wondered if English muffins were so-named in England?

• Like 6

@Muledeer  The true muffin here is a sort of bread roll, eaten warm with butter and jam.  Then there are muffins which are a sort of small sponge cake.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I have only known that plant as skunk cabbage, and I had no idea it grew anywhere outside of our mountains.  I bet French fries are not called that in France, and I have always wondered if English muffins were so-named in England?

Maybe English muffins were once just called muffins, but now they do get called English muffins. But 'your' muffins don't get called American / North American muffins. Rather, they get called [insert variety here] muffins... Leastways, that's my impression.

The skunk cabbage was introduced to the UK as an ornamental plant, but it has escaped into the wild in some places. It is now classified as an invasive species. (Yep. I've been reading up.)

• Like 6

In France and Belgium they are frites

• Like 4
straightouttamordor

How are you guys on this thread ?  Hope all of you are well !   Older Aces are wild !

• Like 7
BobRossRules

I too hope everyone is well.:)  I'm in the process of finishing my basement (e.g., working with contractors).  Most of the work is done including the floors and bathroom.  The baseboards, and installing doors and hardware are remaining.  I still have a lot of stuff to go through to get organized down there, but at least progress is being made!  Hopefully it will all be done my May.  

My dogs are really hyper and are very demanding of my attention.  They seem to do that when I'm typing on the computer.  It's also close to feeding time.:D 

• Like 7

Hope it's over quickly, @Gentle Giant!

Didn't want to say anything, in case it didn't work, but, I've been trying to go ketogenic (Thanks, @faraday☘!), and I'm down almost 50 pounds.

I've gone from a size 42 waist to a 36!:o I just finished donating 60 pairs of jeans, slacks and shorts.

All of my clothes will fit into 1 small closet, instead of an entire bedroom.:P

We have skunk cabbage in New Jersey. Seems like it's coast to coast.MG_35.gif

• Like 11

Wow, a 50-lb loss is fantastic! Way to go, @Tja!!!! How is this affecting your diabetes? Bringing your numbers down, I hope!

• Like 7
2 hours ago, prib23 said:

Older Aces are wild !

:lol:

I'm doing well.

49 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Hopefully it will not be a long bout with it.

Good luck and feel better soon!

12 minutes ago, Tja said:

I'm down almost 50 pounds.

Great work! Does that mean your kilt will need to be updated or replaced?

I'm starting to feel like I live in this house now that I have bookcases full of books instead of a large pile of boxes on the floor. :)

• Like 7
1 minute ago, daveb said:

Great work! Does that mean your kilt will need to be updated or replaced?

There are buckles to adjust the size. ;)

7 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Congrats on the weight loss, @Tja!

Thanks, GG!:)

6 minutes ago, teatree said:

Wow, a 50-lb loss is fantastic! Way to go, @Tja!!!! How is this affecting your diabetes? Bringing your numbers down, I hope!

Trying to balance what I'm eating, and taking the drug Trulicity has lowered my diabetes to acceptable levels, finally.:)

Tried to make keto bread, but, it wasn't very good. Have been substituting bread with lettuce leaves.

Oh...and I would kill for a bag of peanut M&Ms.:P No, really...

• Like 11
5 hours ago, Tystie said:

Maybe English muffins were once just called muffins, but now they do get called English muffins. But 'your' muffins don't get called American / North American muffins. Rather, they get called [insert variety here] muffins... Leastways, that's my impression.

The skunk cabbage was introduced to the UK as an ornamental plant, but it has escaped into the wild in some places. It is now classified as an invasive species. (Yep. I've been reading up.)

I don't really think of those (blueberry, buttermilk spice, cranberry, etc.) muffins as muffins....to me, they are just fat cupcakes and I would never eat them in the same way as an English muffin.  Those muffins seem like more of a sweet-bread desert food.  I love English muffins.  They are the only bread product I will bring into my home.  Breakfast isn't breakfast without a toasted English muffin. 

I can see why skunk cabbage is invasive....I have seen it growing at elevations well over 3,000 meters, but I didn't know it grew well everywhere else.

Awesome job with the weight loss, @Tja.   I bet you feel better too.  Size 36 pants?  I was that fat once, now I'm wearing 34's.:D  I really believe that sugar and all processed carbs are evil, addictive and toxic....and sooo delicious.

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise

That's an awesome weight loss, @Tja. What exactly does a ketogenic diet consist of?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

That's an awesome weight loss, @Tja. What exactly does a ketogenic diet consist of?

Basically, it's going low to zero carbs and no processed sugar. Been living on, mostly, protein. Eggs and meat.

High fat content is also a part of the ketogenic diet. Lots of cheeses, and such.

This is the definition from the Wikipedia page:

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates

Oh! I am not advocating this diet to anyone. Just letting you know that it works for me. ;)

• Like 7

Great that it has worked for you, Tja 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Great that it has worked for you, Tja 

Thanks, Cappy!

• Like 4

@tja- congratulations on the weight loss! I have a co-worker who is doing this with her mother. Not only has she lost a lot of weight, but her body shape is changing drastically- more than seems explainable for just weight loss. It really seems to be working for her.

It has returned to being cold and raw weather again- more like normal April than the 80's we had for a couple of days! Darn it. But, it has been a good thing because it has slowed down my starting of plants before it is time. I tend to do that every year, and get overrun with leggy unhealthy seedlings before it is safe to plant them outside. It also gives me time to build a couple of raised beds I want to get done by re-cycling my broken fence boards that the horses have cracked through. I went to Home Depot the other day and bought a saw to trim the boards to replace the one I lost in the divorce. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

@tja- congratulations on the weight loss! I have a co-worker who is doing this with her mother. Not only has she lost a lot of weight, but her body shape is changing drastically- more than seems explainable for just weight loss. It really seems to be working for her.

It has returned to being cold and raw weather again- more like normal April than the 80's we had for a couple of days! Darn it. But, it has been a good thing because it has slowed down my starting of plants before it is time. I tend to do that every year, and get overrun with leggy unhealthy seedlings before it is safe to plant them outside. It also gives me time to build a couple of raised beds I want to get done by re-cycling my broken fence boards that the horses have cracked through. I went to Home Depot the other day and bought a saw to trim the boards to replace the one I lost in the divorce. Now I just have to figure out how to use it.

Thanks, Mocha Jo!

I've been looking for keto pancake recipes on youtube. Every time, they make me think of your homemade maple syrup. :D

• Like 7

@Tja, that's great about your weight loss, and I imagine it felt good to clear out the dozens of clothing items you no longer needed.

@Gentle Giant, I hope you feel better quickly!

My insurer gave me a repair estimate today for my car that was sideswiped some days ago, and it'll cost more $$ than I expected. They'll go after the insurance of the other/at-fault driver, to try to recoup the money. Meanwhile, that driver called my number hoping to settle with me directly, presumably to save his insurance premium from going up. Does he think I didn't already file a claim right after he hit me? I deleted his voicemail and want no further contact with him ever.:huh:

• Like 11