anyone past 50 on here?

Qutenkuddly

Oh, hey, I missed that! Happy Birthday @prib23!

• Like 6
Qutenkuddly

Spring finally arrived in my part of Canada. It's always kinda ugly at the start, with all the grass mooshed down by the weight of preceding snow cover and the ground is all mucky. Lots of birds returning, though, at least.

• Like 10
BobRossRules

Yesterday it was in the mid-70s, sunny, and warm.  This morning it's cold, windy, and sleeting.:lol:  It's still better than freezing cold temps.

I'm glad the weekend is almost here!!  I work from home on Fridays, so I feel as if I get a bit of a head start on the weekends.  If I work extra hours during the week, then I can take Fridays off.    

I love the start of spring with flowers and trees starting to bloom.  My grass is greening up, and the leaves are budding out on my trees and shrubs.  So pretty!  Soon we'll have flowers.:)

• Like 9
7 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

I went to a lovely bluebell wood today.  Each year I hope to get a picture that really shows the blue/purple colour, and I think this - entirely as it was photographed -- has achieved it.  Hope everyone is having a lovely Easter weekend.

This is a photo I took last Sunday not too far away of a patch of blue flowers while bike riding.  This area breaks out every year in blue flowers but only for a short time:

33881341472_9358df229f_h.jpg

Moving on to other flowering things, this is a picture of my peach tree that I took today:

33997817316_41371789a2_h.jpg

I call it my long term project.  This is what it looked like back on May 4, 2006:

33997816626_eb314da80d_h.jpg

I wanted a peach tree so I decided to grow one from a pit!  It was "born" shortly before my niece who turns 11 in a few weeks.  If you have time and patience you can grow one.  My next door neighbors have one that I started from a pit in 2007.  I gave the seedling to the previous owners and they planted it in front of their house a few years before they sold the house and moved.  This year it has burst out in bloom:

34038919695_bf81e45012_h.jpg

Growing things is about the only thing that keeps me sane lately.  There are times I really wish I could go "Green Acres" (for those who remember the show) and move to a farm and grow things.

• Like 14
12 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

Nobody else was leaving.....so, I've 2 weeks to find out if I've been sacked for just walking out! Blooming electronic nonsense gadgets.

Oops. I hope all will be fine!

8 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

I went to a lovely bluebell wood today.  Each year I hope to get a picture that really shows the blue/purple colour, and I think this - entirely as it was photographed -- has achieved it. 

Lovely!

7 hours ago, Tja said:

Will have to wait until I get home in July to get the new passport.

Good luck!

7 hours ago, prib23 said:

Well, I hope I can hang out in your treehouse now. I'm over 50, yesterday was my birthday

Happy belated birthday!

Autumnal_2_Tier_Cake_1473619691.jpeg

5 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

@Tja fabulous hats!!  Not only can you rock a kilt, but you pull of hats too!!

True

56 minutes ago, Techie said:

Growing things is about the only thing that keeps me sane lately.  There are times I really wish I could go "Green Acres" (for those who remember the show) and move to a farm and grow things.

Good job on growing the trees from seeds/pits!

• Like 9

@Mz Terry, your beautiful photo looks like a painting! And @Techie, the peach trees are lovely--and it's sweet that their growth since "birth" has been measurable alongside your niece's.

@prib23, welcome officially to your 50s! :cake:

Speaking of advancing age, my driver's license expires later this year, and today a form came in the mail announcing that I'm one of a random selection of motorists over 45 who must have both my eye doctor and my regular doctor certify that my vision and the rest of me are intact enough for my license to be renewed. Lucky me! :huh: Who knew the motor vehicles bureau even did this? It's not a big deal, but still a time-wasting chore to have to attend to. And that capped off a day that featured my car getting sideswiped and now out of commission till I can have it repaired (I wasn't hurt though). :(

• Like 6
straightouttamordor
2 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

@Mz Terry, your beautiful photo looks like a painting! And @Techie, the peach trees are lovely--and it's sweet that their growth since "birth" has been measurable alongside your niece's.

@prib23, welcome officially to your 50s! :cake:

Speaking of advancing age, my driver's license expires later this year, and today a form came in the mail announcing that I'm one of a random selection of motorists over 45 who must have both my eye doctor and my regular doctor certify that my vision and the rest of me are intact enough for my license to be renewed. Lucky me! :huh: Who knew the motor vehicles bureau even did this? It's not a big deal, but still a time-wasting chore to have to attend to. And that capped off a day that featured my car getting sideswiped and now out of commission till I can have it repaired (I wasn't hurt though). :(

Glad you weren't hurt in that !  Guess the vision test and physical evaluation is one more thing to look forward to in our advancing age. Lol !

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

I'm one of a random selection of motorists over 45 who must have both my eye doctor and my regular doctor certify that my vision and the rest of me are intact enough for my license to be renewed

ack. That could be a problem for people who don't have a regular doctor.

6 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

And that capped off a day that featured my car getting sideswiped and now out of commission till I can have it repaired (I wasn't hurt though). 

Yikes! I'm glad you weren't hurt!

• Like 6
9 hours ago, prib23 said:

Well, I hope I can hang out in your treehouse now. I'm over 50, yesterday was my birthday. Hope all of you are doing well. Lot's of great pics of spring and spring flowers from you guys.

Happy birthday! :cake:

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Qutenkuddly said:

Spring finally arrived in my part of Canada. It's always kinda ugly at the start, with all the grass mooshed down by the weight of preceding snow cover and the ground is all mucky. Lots of birds returning, though, at least.

Lawns have pretty much dried up around here. Only bad thing is once May rolls around, the blackflies arrive and make things miserable to be outdoors. :mad:

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, daveb said:

ack. That could be a problem for people who don't have a regular doctor.

True. And I happen to have an optometrist appointment coming up soon, but I'm not due for my annual physical till late in the year (well after the deadline for sending back the form). Ah, bureaucracy.:wacko:

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Techie said:

This is a photo I took last Sunday not too far away of a patch of blue flowers while bike riding.  This area breaks out every year in blue flowers but only for a short time:

Moving on to other flowering things, this is a picture of my peach tree that I took today:

33997817316_41371789a2_h.jpg

I call it my long term project.  This is what it looked like back on May 4, 2006:

33997816626_eb314da80d_h.jpg

I wanted a peach tree so I decided to grow one from a pit!

Cool growing project!

LOL on the Green Acres comment. Mind you that would be more like going off the grid :D

• Like 6
17 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Which state does that?  I am in New York and am not aware of such a program here. I renew in person at DMV and check my eyes there. 

• Like 7
Gentle Giant

@prib23 Happy Birthday and welcome to the tree house! :cake: :D

@Semisweet Yikes! Glad you weren't hurt in that auto accident! I recently had a scare! I was just off work going to my car and when I came up to it, I couldn't get to my door easily and was shocked when I saw that someone had parked extremely close! I thought they had hit me! I could barely get a finger between the 2 vehicles, that's how close it was! I looked my car over closely to see if there was any damage. I think I may have gotten some scrapes from them, but nothing major. It looked like they were in a big hurry when they parked at that angle towards my car.

Some good news, we got pay raises today at work!

• Like 10
straightouttamordor

Thank you Gentle Giant ! Glad to be with you all !

• Like 8

@prib23. Belated happy birthday 🎂 🎂 :cake::cake:

@Semisweet. Glad to hear that you're unhurt. I think random checks like that should be commonplace. In Britain there's no checks, you just say you are OK at 70 

Bluebells are just starting here. 

• Like 9

Belated birthday wishes, @prib23! Hope you did something fun. Fifty seems so young, considering I will hit the big 6-oh in 16 months. Ack. :blink:

I like having my passport always ready to go...just in case, you know?

A yard work weekend--the weather will cooperate nicely, with seasonable temps and sun. 

Tonight I am going to a Deaf Social and I am EXTREMELY nervous!!! I have already asked if it's okay that hearing people who sign (albeit not too well!) can attend, and have been assured that it is But the thought of all that signing is already making my brain hurt--it's tiring making the transition. I resort to fingerspelling when I don't know or can't remember a sign. My old brain just doesn't seem to learn and retain things as well as it used to.

• Like 12

You'll do fine, @teatree. This is a great way to learn.

April, the Giraffe, is finally giving birth. I keep switching to the live cam.:)

• Like 9
8 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

In Britain there's no checks, you just say you are OK at 70 

I agree there should be some checks (I saw a very old man at the DMV a few months ago who seemed very out of it - luckily he failed the "written" test). But if they're going to require a doctor's okay they should provide the doctors! (I think they should provide universal healthcare anyway, but let's not get into a political debate. :) )

2 hours ago, teatree said:

I like having my passport always ready to go...just in case, you know?

Yep

2 hours ago, Tja said:

You'll do fine, @teatree. This is a great way to learn.

I agree. I'm sure they will appreciate that you are trying. And it should be a good learning experience for you as well. Have fun!

Woke up to some frost on the windows, but it's been a sunny day so far. I'm looking forward to some furniture being delivered on Monday! I'll finally be able to unpack most of the rest of my boxes once I get the bookcases assembled. :D

• Like 10

@Techie, I'm referring to the great (?) state of PA. @Skycaptain and @daveb, I agree that checks past a certain age are warranted (and I think many states have those for more elderly drivers) but 45 seems a bit young to start. But unlike, say, speed traps, there's no visibility or deterrence from a random program that isn't publicized; no one in my age group whom I mentioned this to had ever heard of it. It might be more logical if every driver had to recertify their vision/health status and/or take a driving test upon turning 50, 60, etc.

@teatree, I hope all goes well at the social. I think it's great that you've studied sign language and are practicing it this way. I would think the folks at the event would be understanding of the fact that you're still learning and working on it.

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

I agree that checks past a certain age are warranted (and I think many states have those for more elderly drivers) but 45 seems a bit young to start. But unlike, say, speed traps, there's no visibility or deterrence from a random program that isn't publicized; no one in my age group whom I mentioned this to had ever heard of it. It might be more logical if every driver had to recertify their vision/health status and/or take a driving test upon turning 50, 60, etc.

I agree with all of that. Especially if they made some provisions for health and vision checks. At least if you know it's a requirement you can plan for it.

• Like 6

An 89-year-old friend of mine just renewed her license without ANY written or driving test! :o All they did was test her vision. Her doctor is going to see her this week and do some memory testing, after which I hope the doctor is duly alarmed and contacts the DMV. At that point the DMV would have my friend come back for a driving test.

• Like 6

Had a surprisingly okay time at the Deaf Social--people were very friendly and helpful. I was expecting to stay 1-1/2 to 2 hours max, but stayed 3 hours! My brain is fried, now, though...off to bed.

Safe travels, @chandrakirti...see you soon! 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, teatree said:

Had a surprisingly okay time at the Deaf Social--people were very friendly and helpful. I was expecting to stay 1-1/2 to 2 hours max, but stayed 3 hours! My brain is fried, now, though...off to bed.

Safe travels, @chandrakirti...see you soon! 

Nice! (except for fried brains - watch out for zombies) :lol:

• Like 9

Well, I kinda felt like a zombie afterward, so.... 

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise

I hope everyone's had a happy Easter weekend  🐰 💐 (I would have posted this sooner, but my computer's been playing up )

Beautiful pictures, @Mz Terry and @Techie Techie, I loved the idea of "Green Acres", and I guess the way we live here is a kind of updated version of it!

Love the hats, @Tja. I just received a notification from Secure Sentinal that my passport is due for renewal in eight months time (they give you plenty of warning, because some visas can only be issued if you have at least 6 months left on your passport.) I guess that means a new passport photo - ugh, sigh!

Happy  belated birthday, @prib23 🎂 and welcome to the treehouse!

@Semisweet, I'm glad you weren't hurt in that sideswipe 😊 People can be a lot harder to repair than cars!

@teatree You must have been enjoying the Deaf Social if you stayed for three hours! I'm glad it went so well for you 😊 I'm sure your brain will feel less fried next time.

Driving licencing in Australia requires a medical review each year from age 75, if you want to keep your licence. After you reach 85, you have a choice of changing to a restricted licence or taking a driving test every two years.  The medical review requirement also still applies. All of this applies to a Class C (ordinary car) licence - there are extra requirements for other classes of vehicle.

Cheers, everyone - have a good week!

• Like 8