anyone past 50 on here?

3 minutes ago, faraday ☘ said:

That's cool.  I've posted some stupid things that I regretted.  It was from ignorance, and I was kindly corrected.  I was embarrassed nonetheless.:redface:

Yes, exactly, thanks.😊

Just now, teatree said:

I just went and found/read the Terms of Service. Once you get warned, does the offending post get deleted?

It gets deleted after some time, in my case after 3 months because its a first time offense.

• Like 4

What sort of people am I mixing with now? :o

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Mole said:

What sort of people am I mixing with now? :o

Just your kind, Mole...and you know it!;):P

• Like 6
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Was a lovely sunny day here, I went out in a denim jacket rather than my customary wool coat.

I'm definitely up for a 'grow your own' thread @Muledeer, although I have a postage stamp of a garden, I'm still potting up strawberries and garlic. I miss my fresh food from my old garden, but it became too big to manage. This garden has shallow soil and builder's rubble, as the whole place was built over the remains of an old electricity power station. My plan, as the Chamomile lawn was a non- starter, will be to sow seeds, @Mocha Jo, but these will be wild flower seeds to cover the lawn. Worked wonders for the wildlife last year. Maybe I can sprinkle some in the country park as well.

@will123, too true, it might surprise us yet with some weird weather.It snowed in June once. The clocks going forward meant that the cat got me up at 7am instead of 6 though, so maybe it'll be a better rested summer...

I lost so much weight that my black ring fell off. It's a size V, now I take an N, so i'll have to be on the lookout for a new one. From a start of 10st 11lbs (151lbs) I'm now at 9st 7lbs (133lbs). If i can get down to my 49 year old weight, which was 9st (126lbs), it'll be a bonus, but at my age I don't expect much more to melt off.

Glad your health is in the clear @chair jockey, crossed fingers for your eye tests though.

The potty area for dogs sounds like a great idea @Aqua Blue

Next weekend I'll be doing the spring cleaning I think...

1 minute ago, chandrakirti said:

I lost so much weight that my black ring fell off. It's a size V, now I take an N, so i'll have to be on the lookout for a new one. From a start of 10st 11lbs (151lbs) I'm now at 9st 7lbs (133lbs). If i can get down to my 49 year old weight, which was 9st (126lbs), it'll be a bonus, but at my age I don't expect much more to melt off.

Congrats on the weight loss! I've been trying to lose a bit myself, but I can just seem to keep from gaining more.

I never heard of ring sizes by letters like that. Is that a UK thing?

I'm not much into gardening, but I have been thinking about putting some berry bushes down at the bottom of my yard. I saw some blueberry plants at a local store recently.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, Tja said:

"Grow your own" always brings up thoughts of an illegal crop, @chandrakirti! :o...:P

"illegal" depends on where you live (unless a certain political appointee has his way - "states rights' is a convenient term when it works for you)

(and that's all the politics I'll insert here)

• Like 8
Just now, daveb said:

"illegal" depends on where you live (unless a certain political appointee has his way - "states rights' is a convenient term when it works for you)

(and that's all the politics I'll insert here)

Is that why you moved there, @daveb? :P:lol:

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Tja said:

Is that why you moved there, @daveb?

Nope. I can't stand the stuff myself. Just being around people using it makes my head hurt. But I don't see why it should be illegal (anymore than alcohol or tobacco, which I don't like either and have a similar reaction to tobacco smoke). :P

• Like 8
14 minutes ago, daveb said:

Nope. I can't stand the stuff myself. Just being around people using it makes my head hurt. But I don't see why it should be illegal (anymore than alcohol or tobacco, which I don't like either and have a similar reaction to tobacco smoke). :P

I don't like to smoke it, but I love the smell.

I also like the smell of skunk, so, maybe I'm weird.:P

• Like 7

Hiya all 

This was the first day I've been able to dry laundry outside this year, I think the washing machine has gone on piece-work rates. 

@Thea2. Posts don't get deleted, unless liable to be breaking the law, as removing even a naughty post could change the context of a thread. The warning expires in three months 

@chandrakirti. Good that the diet is progressing well 

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, faraday ☘ said:

@Tja That's what we like about you....your weirdness!:lol:

Does that get classed as a personal insult? :P

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Tja said:

I don't like to smoke it, but I love the smell.

I also like the smell of skunk, so, maybe I'm weird.:P

Lots of natural things smell like skunk....coffee, weed, some gasses containing sulfur, etc.  I also like certain skunk like smells too.  One time my dog got skunked and the smell was so strong that it burned out my smell receptors and I was oblivious to the smell,  until I left her at the dog sitters place and got a call later that evening.  

Back to growing your own, I would love to hear about anything somebody grows or raises for their own sustenance.    

• Like 7
illusionist

Hi.Hello.I'm not even sure I'm asexual,I'm now 51,female,in Japan.I used to have emotional attraction towards male,But never had a sexual attraction since young age.But to keep emotional relationships,I attempted sexual act with them,it always didn't end well.It was like complimentary thing.Most of over 40years old in Japan retired from relationships,so now it's easy world for me.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

@Thea2. Posts don't get deleted, unless liable to be breaking the law, as removing even a naughty post could change the context of a thread. The warning expires in three months 

Ah, right. Thank you for the information 😊

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Admittedly, I have not researched the AVEN terms of service.  What is the point of a warning besides deterring future posting of that nature.....public shaming?  I am a moderator on another web site forum and I nave never given an official warning...and the site has similar software like IPS.  I have, however, suspended a few members for hateful posting and permanently banned many members for flinging spam if they had nothing positive to contribute to the discussions and signed up just to spread their spam.   I never see spam here - how do you control it so well?

• Like 6

@Muledeer we do get spam, but we have an admod only accessible thread  where we can delete it

A warning, nudge, or any other advice to a member that they have breached ToS is confidential for six months. Then it may be declassified and posted in the declass forum, however a member may publicly comment on the receipt of a disciplinary notice.

• Like 8
chair jockey
23 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@Muledeer we do get spam, but we have an admod only accessible thread  where we can delete it

A warning, nudge, or any other advice to a member that they have breached ToS is confidential for six months. Then it may be declassified and posted in the declass forum, however a member may publicly comment on the receipt of a disciplinary notice.

The bolded part is what I've stopped understanding. It does absolutely no good to "out" yourself as having a conflict with mods, admins, or others with positions of authority on AVEN. The chance of member support changing anything is nil and it can even lead to further warnings and bans, not only for yourself but for those who are supportive of you and express themselves carelessly.

On the other hand, within any context same as within the context of a national government, speaking out against malfeasance by those who wield power is a personal choice. I don't judge those who lie low in order to protect their personal interests, and I equally don't judge those who sacrifice everything in order to expose malfeasance. But given the bullshit "conviction" of Edward Snowden for an unreported criminal offense in Sweden that the alleged victim has publicly stated never occurred, challenging authority in a way that evokes reprisals seems naive in the twenty-first century. Citizens everywhere have become rightfully fatalistic and apathetic in the face of the absolute Archipelago-like power of governments today, and people are quietly living private lives while privately snickering with each other at the hypocrisies of the public record (although in public we are still required to be hypocrites same as the rest of the public record is).

I would even go so far as to propose a ToS amendment forbidding members to "out" themselves as having been disciplined. Normally I'm opposed to anyone appointing themselves as anyone else's Mommy (which is a huge systemic problem with the city government here in Toronto), but those who start saying "Hey, I just got a warning/ban" are only harming themselves and perhaps others to no one's benefit. Inquiries about discipline can be made privately to staff because only staff are in a position to say anything definitive about them; anything any ordinary member says is going to be just speculation or even misleading and misinformative. Meanwhile, not only does the member in question put themselves at risk of further ToS violations but also puts other, supportive members at risk of violating the ToS as well. While discussing self-harm is a gray area on AVEN, the pure self-harm and potential other-harm of "outing" oneself as having been disciplined seems to call for a ToS amendment.

• Like 3

Haven't checked into AVEN all weekend long so I'm behind on posts yet again!  I was off having fun hiking Friday, Saturday, and today.  All the glorious pictures from the three days -->

Russian Ridge: https://goo.gl/photos/7q9qcHfU4yxbaqeK9     (only 3 pictures, it was too wet and cold for more!!)
Cataract Falls: https://goo.gl/photos/ynwduNk6wWSFxGkW9
Jasper Ridge: https://goo.gl/photos/RBn1wkB59JAh1G6Y8

It was a wonderful birthday weekend!   Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

Cathy

• Like 9
11 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

Hey, check it out....this post marks my 1,000 postmark!  I'm too far behind @Gentle Giant.  So to celebrate, I changed my avi.

That's pretty cool.  Too bad you can't preserve it somehow, because it will show 1001 with your next post.

• Like 6