anyone past 50 on here?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Haha! welcome @Lancs lass, I can hear you say it! Hope you enjoy a brew here.

I loved Hogan's Heroes, my favourite was Schultz. I heard the lead man died in strange circumstances..

Nothing much going on here, but no news is good news.

Welcome @Lancs lass

Had my doctor's appointment today.  Nothing much to report.  The doctor examined me and ordered more tests.  She still doesn't know for sure what is wrong.  Sort of what I expected to happen today.  Its good to get the ball rolling on getting this issue checked out.   I'll just say one thing which I hope is not TMI ... I hate pelvic exams and I am glad this one is over!

Cathy

• Like 7
straightouttamordor

So sad about David Cassidy. I remember watching the Partridge family as a kid. My mom passed away from Dimentia at 65. Began getting symptoms in her fifties. Hope he can find some treatment and/or perhaps a cure some day soon.

• Like 4

Hiya all.  Hope everyone in Northern Britain avoids being too ravaged by Doris tomorrow. Stay safe 

On a happier note I went with dad and stepmum to see Beautiful,  the Carole King Story.  Not much story, but lots of great songs :)

• Like 6
4 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

I loved Hogan's Heroes, my favourite was Schultz.

@chandrakirti Same here! After Schultz for favorite would be Hochstetter. I liked most of the characters, but the ones I couldn't stand were Gen. Burkhalter, his sister Frau Linkmeyer, Col. Crittendon and the Russian lady who caused so much trouble for Hogan. I love the theme music. Some other shows that were childhood faves were The Monkees, The Munsters and Gilligan's Island, just name a few.

Today I had my hearing test and got my hearing aid ordered. Will get it next week. Initial price was $3,200, will get $250 off and bring it down to $2,950. Will get a dryer kit for free. I'm feeling pretty good about my selection so far. I hope it will be just right for me.

• Like 7

Did you know Hogan's Heroes was sort of a parody of the movie, Stalag 17? If you watch the latter it's pretty obvious that it was the inspiration, in terms of things like characters, the stalag itself, etc.

I think the first record I ever bought myself way back when was a Monkees record. It was a fun show and I liked that one of the main guys was named Davy. :)

@Gentle Giant, good luck with your new hearing aid! Hopefully it will be just right for you!

Speaking of "just right", have you all seen the news about scientists discovering 7 earth-size planets around a single star? And 3 of them are in the "Goldilocks zone". I think it's absolutely fascinating and shows how awe-inspiring the universe and science can be. :)

• Like 7

My father introduced me to Stalag 17 years after Hogan's Heroes (I had watched The Great Escape).

When Robert Crane died, I remember a bit of chatter about the circumstances. Not sure how old I was, but even though I followed the news, the details were brief. I think more came out years later. Your mention of Hochstetter and Burkholder reminds me of some of the German tradesmen I worked with and near in my adult years LOL

Something funny came out of Hogan's Heroes, "The Schultz Defence". I don't know the case, but it was a high profile corporate trial in the US. When one of the defendants said he he didn't know about something he was directly involved with or should've been aware of, a journalist covering the story said, "Mr. Smith was evoking "The Schultz Defence" which refers to Sgt. Schultz of the old TV sitcom, Hogan's Heroes".

• Like 4

@daveb and @will123

I actually have the Stalag 17 movie on VHS that I've been meaning to watch! I picked it up cheap in a rummage sale and got it specifically because of it being related to Hogan's Heroes. I have off tomorrow. Maybe I will find time to watch it finally.

I remember hearing about Robert Crane's murder and it was something bad he was involved in. I think the only actor from that show that is still living is Robert Clary who played Lebeau.

When I was really into Hogan's Heroes around the time I was in 5th grade, I had made little action figure type dolls of some of the characters. I no longer have them any more though as my dad threw out the box they were in. I was so upset with him about that.

I remember seeing a Best of/Greatest Hits 2 record set advertised on TV for the Monkees and wanted to order it, but my mom wouldn't let me. I didn't get a Monkees record until later in high school. Then I got more Monkees records after I graduated. My first record album I bought was KISS Rock and Roll Over.

That was interesting about the 7 earth sized planets around a single star, haven't heard about it.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

@daveb and @will123

I actually have the Stalag 17 movie on VHS that I've been meaning to watch! I picked it up cheap in a rummage sale and got it specifically because of it being related to Hogan's Heroes. I have off tomorrow. Maybe I will find time to watch it finally.

I remember hearing about Robert Crane's murder and it was something bad he was involved in. I think the only actor from that show that is still living is Robert Clary who played Lebeau.

You'll enjoy the movie.

I had to check Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Crane

I was thinking his murder had occurred in a motel unit.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

That was interesting about the 7 earth sized planets around a single star

Even the google doodle is honoring it currently. :D

Oh, I remembered that Hogan's Heroes actually helped me in a history exam in high school once - it was because of Hogan's Heroes that I knew the answer to a question about Vichy France. :)

• Like 5
1 hour ago, daveb said:

Oh, I remembered that Hogan's Heroes actually helped me in a history exam in high school once - it was because of Hogan's Heroes that I knew the answer to a question about Vichy France. :)

That's pretty funny. I don't think I'd want to use any sitcom as a reference for the answer to a history exam. 

• Like 6

Hogans Heroes is one of those series I missed 

The wind here is force W. (beware wheelie bin aerobatics) 

• Like 5

Welcome to newcomer @Lancs lass:cake: :) When I first read the user name I thought it was Lance Bass! :lol:

I watched Stalag 17 today and, yes, I did enjoy it! I definitely see the similarities to Hogan's Heroes. The guy named Animal reminds me of Robert from Everybody Loves Raymond! :lol:

I checked out the Bob Crane wiki page. I think I had seen some kind of biography show on Bob Crane quite a while ago and that's when I found out he had a sex addiction, was making sex tapes and because of that was something to do with his murder.

• Like 4

I thought you all might enjoy seeing a couple drawings I did of Hogan's Heroes when I was in 5th grade...

Spoiler

Hogan's Team

HogansTeam_zpsj86ti65k.jpg

Klink Gets Brave

KlinkGetsBrave_zpsgwy9ng0x.jpg

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Aqua Blue said:

You did a good job!  Do you still draw?

my heart is breaking today, I had to put my beloved Westie of 14 years down..  He was my "family".  

So sorry Aqua Blue.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Aqua Blue said:

You did a good job!

I agree. Good work, @Gentle Giant!

16 minutes ago, Aqua Blue said:

my heart is breaking today, I had to put my beloved Westie of 14 years down..  He was my "family".

My condolences! Many of us have had to have a beloved pet put down. It's a sad fact of life for pets and pet-owners. Take care of yourself. And remember the good times.

1 minute ago, Elizabeth312 said:

Yes 50 last April . You are not alone!

Welcome, and have some :cake: !

• Like 5
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:03 AM, Tanwen said:

Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big.

E. Jong

This is for you, @Aqua Blue.  So sorry you lost your best friend today.

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise

That's beautiful, @Muledeer And @Aqua Blue, I'm so sorry for your loss - our animal friends do become our family, don't they? *hugs*

Welcome, @Elizabeth312 and @Lancs lass :cake: :cake: :cake: I hope both of you enjoy this thread and find some new friends here :)

@Gentle Giant Those drawings are awesome - I wish I could draw like that now, let alone when I was in primary school! They brought back memories of a TV show I used to love :D

@daveb, I hope by now you're comfortably settled into your new home. Have you found out where the best bookshops and chocolate suppliers are yet? :P

We're still having a lot of hot days, and apparently autumn is set to be warmer than usual :evil:, but we've just had a storm pass through (very welcome after a morning spent outside at a neighbour's farm) so the air is fresher and cooler, for the time being at any rate.

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I hope by now you're comfortably settled into your new home. Have you found out where the best bookshops and chocolate suppliers are yet?

Getting there. I know where Powell's is (the huge (3 story) bookstore) is, and I know where 2 Barnes & Noble chain bookstores are. Haven't found (nor looked for) any fancy chocolate places, but I haven't wanted for decent chocolate. Yeah, I have plenty still to explore. :D 

I still need to get more bookcases so I can unpack the last 35 or so boxes of books. I'm waiting until either my tax refund comes in or my old house gets sold so I have money for some decent wood bookcases (not pressed board or the like). At least we were able to give away all of the empty boxes today (70+), so that cleared up some wall space.

We had some hail here this afternoon. :)

I hope you don't get too much heat there! Or that it cools down some soon!

• Like 7

@Elizabeth312. Welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂 

@Aqua Blue. Sorry to hear about the loss of your Westie *Huggles *

@daveb, good that unpacking is progressing. You're definitely right to get solid bookcases, the board shelves start to sag under the weight. 

• Like 7

So sorry about your little friend, @Aqua Blue  Hugs if you want them. 

Glad you are getting your house sorted, @daveb

My shed has reached the point of disorder that is really starting to annoy me.  It is the place where everything gets dumped that I can't quite bear to get rid of, but I am planning on another day of clearing and tidying over the weekend and will then have a trip to make to the tip.  I am determined to achieve the shed of my dreams. :P

• Like 5

@Aqua Blue, I am sad for you.

Too bad we couldn't organize a work party for  you, @Mz Terry. (I have barn clutter to work on but, you know, "out of sight."...) I am helping someone I don't know move tomorrow -- I am volunteering a couple of hours as part of the local Time Exchange.

Yay, it's Friday, for those to whom it matters!

• Like 7
On 2/20/2017 at 3:10 PM, chair jockey said:

@Techie I don't want to scare you, just give you a heads up. You've described an actionable health and safety issue. City and town governments will remove someone from their home if they are found to be living under such conditions, especially if children are involved. It's wise to limit the people you discuss this with. You also have strong grounds to seek municipal or other assistance to find a new home (although your mother could face removal from her home if you do that, so it's a tough one).

I know this is definitely a government issue if brought to their attention.  Unfortunately government is also an issue.  Once you invite the government into your life, you cannot get rid of them.  The happy medium I really want is for my mother to come out of her fog, realize what she has created and we can arrange to have professionals come in in hazmat suits and strip the place down of the garbage.  Then we get a housekeeper in two or three times a week to keep the place tidy.  Also my mother gets put on a leash to stop accumulating things.  I know that will never happen short of her getting a new physician who starts asking questions (we tried with her current one - would not talk with me or my sister privately).

I myself am at a crossroads in life with a dead IT career, a job that provides me with a little money and full health coverage that I go to in order to get away from everything else and responsibilities piling up.  As a never married guy with no family I should be a carefree bachelor but it seems that I am the one that gets stuck because I do not have the excuse of having my own family.  Getting my mother kicked out of the house by the government will replace one stress with another - not eliminate it.  Once the government steps in, I have ZERO control any longer.  As it is right now, there is still the slim sliver of hope to have some control at a "soft landing" and possibly fix things.  That is gone with government who would come in like a bulldozer and sweep everything out without regard to its value.  Plus the bulk of my personal belongings are kept here at her house, as well as being my legal address, though I am only here a three days.  I would need to find a place to move to and here on Long Island that is extremely difficult being single without a good job to pay the rent and taxes.

Otherwise, planning to head out shortly on a long bike ride.  Temperature is 68F (20C) here on Long Island on February 24th.  Feels like late April and I am going to enjoy it.

Hope to pop in a little more here again. I have just been overwhelmed of late and happy to just not do anything at times.

• Like 7
On 2/22/2017 at 11:15 PM, daveb said:

Even the google doodle is honoring it currently. :D

I love Hogan's Heroes.  Several years ago my sister bought me the complete series on DVD.  The last two seasons or so I was old enough to watch on TV when the show was on.  I wish they had been able to end the series with liberation of the camp and a funny ending.  They were able to do it with M*A*S*H and after six seasons HH should have gone out with a fitting end too.  Too late now...

I also love Green Acres.  My whole family loved that show and one of my uncle's worked for the Interior Department as a soil conservation agent and my father always ribbed him about Hank Kimble the County Agent.  For a while, I used to use the Hooterville Phone Company's slogan as a sig line: "Ervice is ur Mott".  Some said it was Latin, others said it was Hungarian :D

• Like 5