anyone past 50 on here?

@Tja I can only echo everyone else's sentiment that the water situation sucks and I hope your insurance will compensate you for something if not what the actual worth of things is. Philly isn't exactly the best with those kind of things, though... <_<

@Thea2 Back when I was using Pottermore regularly there was only 1 book completed and everybody didn't have a patronus. I would have to re-register at the site now it seems.

I am probably the youngest regular in this thread at 35, but I'm glad I popped in and stuck around like I did. :D Like @daveb says, no id's are checked and everyone is welcome.

• Like 11
16 minutes ago, Thea2 said:

First snowdrop in my garden today 😊

Oooo...I love snowdrops! :)

• Like 6
43 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

@Tja I can only echo everyone else's sentiment that the water situation sucks and I hope your insurance will compensate you for something if not what the actual worth of things is.

Thanks, Spotty!

43 minutes ago, Spotastic said:

Philly isn't exactly the best with those kind of things, though...

No.

• Like 4
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi All!

i'm shocked to hear of the damage your house has sustained, @Tja! I hope the great times you had travelling aren't diminished by it and that the insurer sends a team to sort it out pronto! Sending all the best to you in the hope it's very short term.

My bedroom window is scratched from the nails sticking out of the panel. Turns out it wasn't my panel, but the lady next door, whose home seems to be situated slap bang in a wind funnel! I feel sorry for her as this happens every year. I'm getting the window company to replace that pane as it's in my insurance, so it won't cost me anything.

@Thea2, yes! Those are the sort of panels we have in Scotland, but horizontally - I put in two 6x3 panels instead of one 6x6 , so the wind seems to get through those. When I lived in London and our damp proofing came to the end of its life, I didn't want to have poisonous chemicals injected into our brickwork, so we got Schrijver bricks from the Netherlands instead, they work really well, I'd recommend them. I think that Dutch inventors are very clever.

@Mz Terry, according to my daughter, the west side didn't get the wind, she's near Gloucester and there was nothing to report. I guess the north sea attracts howling gales!

I'm getting on better at this job than the last one, despite the ubiquitous patronising young women. Must be their hormones.:lol:

Here comes the weekend! hope it's a great one for all.

We're having an epic snowstorm today!   12+ inches and still snowing.   Our first big storm of the winter season.  Time to go shovel and get the snow-thrower started.

• Like 8

Just got back from participating in one of the U.S. women's marches. It seemed pretty packed and energetic, though I don't yet know how the turnout here or at any of the "sister" marches compared with last year's.  

@chandrakirti, that's a scary experience you had! Glad that insurance will pay for your replacement window pane, at least.

@Muledeer, hope you don't get too buried under by the storm. Here, the frigid temperatures and ice of recent weeks have given way to sun and mild temperatures for the moment -- I plan to enjoy it while it lasts. :)

@Tja, I hope you've been able to make initial calls and such to start the ball rolling on the repair process. And fingers crossed that your insurer will be responsive and non-stingy in its coverage decisions. 

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

They worked very well, those bricks @Thea2

That sounds like a very interesting thing to do today @Semisweet! Was it any particular kind of women's march? I'm just wondering if it was about general empowerment of women. I'm not sure we have 'sister' marches here, at least I haven't heard of any with that name.

Geez @Muledeer, stay safe in that weather!

1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

@Tja, I hope you've been able to make initial calls and such to start the ball rolling on the repair process. And fingers crossed that your insurer will be responsive and non-stingy in its coverage decisions. 

Times two on this. I didn't get the final payment after my incident until July.

• Like 6

We're having a heat wave!  It got above 50 here in Wisconsin today...I got to take a walk withOUT wearing 20 pounds of protective layers to keep me flexible enough to move without freezing in place!  Did a good 2 mile circle, got to visit a section of the river I've not spoken with since it got cold...

Still a little ice, and I'm sure it'll freeze again soon, but I'm happy to enjoy the day :D

• Like 9

It was 40 degrees (F) here and our snow is rapidly disappearing. At one point we had about 15 inches and now we're down to 5 at the most (in places). I don't know why the concern for global warming/climate change in Canada since it seems like everyone, their uncle and his dog HATE winter. I think they would be quite content if the average temperature from October to April was around 15* C. :mad: We have cold or snow and the whining commences ad nauseum. It's Canada for

fuck

sakes.

I remember talking to the desk clerk at a motel in Charlotte a couple of years ago. They had a warm winter as we had a relatively mild one with little snow. He said he hated it as he enjoyed the four seasons and what they brought.

Went to a graveside service this morning. It was for  lady who my mother had known and I know her children and one of her granddaughters.

• Like 8

@Semisweet Thank you for caring enough about a cause to go out and demonstrate!  We need more folks like you.  I wish I had a cause that would motivate me to demonstrate my viewpoint.

@will123 I'm glad you were able to attend that service this morning.  I would much rather attend a memorial service than a wedding or even a birthday party.

Nice photo, @EarthMama!

The snowstorm has ended, and it was a delightful day.  The snow was light and fluffy and easy to clear.  Today I am making some oxtail stew.  I harvested a fresh oxtail from a fine looking Angus steer earlier this week.   Oxtail stew is a two day process the way I make it.  I cut the tail into segments and put it into the slow cooker today.  After it simmers all day I will pick the meat off the tail bones then cool the broth overnight and skim the fat before cooking the vegetables into the stew tomorrow.  I know this is an ethnic British dish - do you folks make it the same way over there?  I also harvested some fresh beef liver which I intend to cook for dinner tonight.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Semisweet said:

1 hour ago, will123 said:

Times two on this. I didn't get the final payment after my incident until July

Thanks!

The insurance adjuster won't come here until next Friday.:rolleyes:

I've cleared the dining room. Bought a pump, and 2 100' hoses, to clear the water from the basement. Most of it's gone.

I'm using a wet vac to get the rest out, but, I had to stop after carrying 3 buckets full of water outside. No spring chicken, here.:mellow:

I shudder to think of all the remaining boxes and bags I'll have to throw out. The rest of the week is going to be rough.

That stew sounds good, @Muledeer. Normally, I wouldn't care to try something like that, but, after having steak and kidney pudding, I've grown more adventurous. ;)

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

What a job to do @Tja, crossed fingers you don't lose much and I hope the house structure isn't affected.:mellow:

I caught up on the news and there were loads of videos and photos of the women's marches! how could I have missed all that @Semisweet? Good on you! Some of the placards were very witty too.

Lovely photo @EarthMama, these are the true riches (not the money and stuff).:D

Oddly enough, it's snowing here! Don't think it will stay though, as it's melting as soon as it lands on the paving.

Off to see 'The Post' later....looking forward to that, then tomorrow...back to the usual.

Hiya folk 

@Muledeer, like most British dishes there's several ways to make oxtail stew. I slow cook as well, but just leave everything in the pan, so the veg absorb the flavour (and fat:P), just removing the bones shortly before serving. Others serve the dish with bones and you remove them as you eat.

@Tja, that sounds a lot of work. Hope not too much of the written off stuff was irreplaceable or heirlooms :(

We had a few flakes of snow fall, without settling, now it's warmed up its turned to rain 

• Like 8
14 hours ago, Tja said:

... No spring chicken, here.:mellow:

:lol: Sounds like you are doing very well though. Good luck for the rest of the week, I think you are being very courageous. :cake: :cake: :cake:

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

@Muledeer, like most British dishes there's several ways to make oxtail stew. I slow cook as well, but just leave everything in the pan, so the veg absorb the flavour (and fat:P), just removing the bones shortly before serving. Others serve the dish with bones and you remove them as you eat.

Thanks, Skycaptain.  I can always count on you for knowledge of the British Cuisine, which greatly interests me for some reason.  The way you describe making oxtail stew is how my parents did it - leaving the bones and meat together when serving it, as well as all that grease.  My dad also used to cook dumplings on the stew but I detest dumplings - they looked and tasted like gobs of doughy biscuit mix.  Maybe I have never had "good" dumplings.

• Like 7

Thanks, All!

Enjoy the movie, @chandrakirti! :) The structure is fine, but, my hardwood floors have succumbed.

I haven't even looked in all the soaked boxes in the basement, @Skycaptain. :rolleyes:

I'm maintaining a "stiff upper lip", for the moment, @Thea2. ;)

Called my plumber today, to install a new water heater. Can't go on without hot water.

My washer and dryer seem to have survived. I'm washing a load, so, fingers crossed!

The A**hole I work for has sold the company, so, no more A**hole!

Will have to wait to see if this new company works out.

• Like 7
30 minutes ago, Tja said:

Thanks, All!

The A**hole I work for has sold the company, so, no more A**hole!

Will have to wait to see if this new company works out.

Well that ought to be worth something. 

One of my former general supervisors died last fall before hitting 60. I know it sound's cold, but there is karma.

As one of my former co-workers said about an unloved machinist after his death, "They could hold his funeral in a phone booth, for all the people that will show up".

• Like 4
3 hours ago, will123 said:

Well that ought to be worth something. 

One of my former general supervisors died last fall before hitting 60. I know it sound's cold, but there is karma.

As one of my former co-workers said about an unloved machinist after his death, "They could hold his funeral in a phone booth, for all the people that will show up".

I hear you!

• Like 4

Wow, @Tja good luck with the new owners! It is a nice thing to get rid of a difficult boss, and hop the new one appreciates what your experience will bring to the job. And good luck cleaning up the wet. Will the adjuster give you a problem if you "clean up" too much before he gets there?

• Like 7

I hope the procedures in the USA for flood damage clean-ups are quicker then here in the UK. Houses opposite me suffered rainwater flooding in July, and are still being repaired. The owners are being accommodated elsewhere at the insurers expense, but that means higher premiums for everyone

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

@Tja, good luck with your new boss - sounds as though it has to be a change for the better! I hope the new water heater comes quickly - having plenty of hot water makes such a difference to your comfort, especially in winter. Don't drive yourself too hard: I know it's pretty awful having to live with so much mess, but it will get sorted in time, and maybe there'll be a bonus later on, when you get to choose your new colours and furnishings. Right now, the important thing is to take care of yourself, while making some progress each day. *big hugs*

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

Wow, @Tja good luck with the new owners! It is a nice thing to get rid of a difficult boss, and hop the new one appreciates what your experience will bring to the job. And good luck cleaning up the wet. Will the adjuster give you a problem if you "clean up" too much before he gets there?

I couldn't leave it, as is, for over a week. I did take a video of all the damage.;)

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I hope the procedures in the USA for flood damage clean-ups are quicker then here in the UK. Houses opposite me suffered rainwater flooding in July, and are still being repaired. The owners are being accommodated elsewhere at the insurers expense, but that means higher premiums for everyone

Because I was away, and the house wasn't heated, they may not pay for anything.

I still can't believe, I forgot to shut the water off. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

@Tja, good luck with your new boss - sounds as though it has to be a change for the better! I hope the new water heater comes quickly - having plenty of hot water makes such a difference to your comfort, especially in winter. Don't drive yourself too hard: I know it's pretty awful having to live with so much mess, but it will get sorted in time, and maybe there'll be a bonus later on, when you get to choose your new colours and furnishings. Right now, the important thing is to take care of yourself, while making some progress each day. *big hugs*

Thanks, Sunny!:wub:

I have Dr appts every day, in the mornings, then the rest of each day will be cleanup. Have to have it finished by this weekend, as I leave out for the next run.

My washer and dryer did survive the inundation. One less thing to worry about. :)

The floors are slightly buckled, but, not a tripping hazard, so, I can live with them.

Thank goodness, I had them painted with outdoor deck paint. Most of the water just sheeted off, into the basement.

Unfortunately, not only does my furnace still need to be replaced, but now, 4 of my 7 radiators, also. :(

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Tja said:

fingers crossed

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everything, you insurance woes, your changing work situation, and all the work with cleanup and recovery from the burst pipes. :(

8 hours ago, will123 said:

:lol:

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, daveb said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for everything, you insurance woes, your changing work situation, and all the work with cleanup and recovery from the burst pipes. :(

Thanks, daveb!

With this new company, I may be visiting the West Coast. ;)

• Like 5

I see your location is Carneys Point. Is that anywhere near Somers Point?

If you ever get to Portland let me know! 

• Like 3
Autumn Sunrise

Perfect, @Mz Terry  - for Tja, or anyone else who needs something gentle and tranquil.   I love that piece, and it's one of the tracks on a CD I received for my birthday, titled Stillness  Music of Calm in a Changing World.

Ps The pictures complement the music beautifully :wub:

• Like 7