anyone past 50 on here?

3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Joke, moi? 

I know about the lack of sleep last night because of the wind and rain, although happily my fence is intact (probably because I had to replace several panels in 2016),.  Kitties didn't like it, they snuggled on my bed next to me, rather restless 

I slept through it all. :o  Was it bad?

• Like 6

@Mz Terry, it wasn't as bad here as North of London, but some rail lines and roads were blocked by fallen trees, and we had a moderate amount of heavy rain 

• Like 5
14 hours ago, teatree said:

No, no, no...the title is "Anyone PAST 50 on Here?" not IN their 50s! So 60s, 70s, etc. all are PAST 50, right???? ^_^ Anyway, lots of younger people stop by as well, all are welcome.

I like being one of the 'younglings' in this thread - technically, I'm PAST 50 by 4 months (today, in fact) :D

It's kinda quiet here in my little neck of the woods, which is typical this time of year.  I started to take a walk after work the other day because it's been a while and I was feeling a bit antsy, got a couple of blocks, and basically shortened the route...

I could hear "Abort Mission!!!" from the voices in my head, in time with the chattering of my teeth.

We're supposed to get pretty close to/slightly above the freezing point the next couple of days, so hopefully I'll find myself back out on the pavement, pounding it to the time of whatever is blasting in my ears from my iPod.

• Like 8
6 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

That sounds terrifying, @chandrakirti - I'm glad you're OK, and it's no wonder you need to sleep after that! I hope the damage isn't too awful!

This! The fence panel didn't break the window, did it!?

Strong winds, even if they aren't a tornado can still do plenty of damage, so I'm glad everyone is safe (or slept through it! :lol: that would probably be me as well).

4 hours ago, Thea2 said:
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Joke, moi? 

https://goo.gl/images/m1xmHc:lol:

:lol:

(now I'm going to start picturing Skycaptain as Basil Fawlty... :P )

It's a bit noisy here right now - neighbors are getting some tree-trimming done, with a tree shredder running out on the street as they feed the trimmings into it. They warned me it would be happening, so I don't really mind.

• Like 10
On 1/17/2018 at 12:00 PM, will123 said:

Skycaptain, US customs has agents in the airport in Toronto. I haven't flown to the US since 2000 (pre 9-11), but before, once you cleared US customs in Toronto, it made for a much quicker 'exit' from your destination. Pick up your luggage and you were off.

It is has been many years since I flew out of Pearson.  It was interesting to get the customs and immigration out of the way there in Toronto (well actually Mississauga) and be able to arrive back in New York at La Guardia with only having to deal with luggage claim.  I also liked how the Duty Free Shop was right next to the U.S. Immigration and Customs area.  You could buy your bottle and then walk it over to the U.S. zone for clearance.  It definitely makes things easier on the airlines as they can fly to just about any airport in the United States from Canada without being restricted to custom's staffed airports.

• Like 5

I think we went through US customs in the Montreal airport on our departure back to the US, too. (or am I mis-remembering it?)

• Like 4
14 hours ago, daveb said:

I don't know if the species of penguin matters. Not all of them live that far south. There are even penguins as far north as the Galapagos Islands (they are actually called Galapagos penguins). The interior of Antarctica gets very cold! But penguins live close to the coast, where I'm sure it gets chilly, but not as bad as the interior. Still, I can't imagine it often gets too cold for penguins in Alberta. Although, the interior of North America gets more extreme temps, too.

Checking their site and not all the penguins at the zoo are from the Antarctic.

https://www.calgaryzoo.com/animals/birds/penguins#tab-366

I thought some penguins were found along the southwestern coast of South America. Obviously they would only be found along the coastal areas of Antarctica. There was no mention of where the penguins home ranges were when the reports aired.

• Like 6

Customs was just the usual walk through, the next day.

They also sent my luggage on the flight 5 hours before mine. They, originally, said they couldn't send it without my verification.

I got off the plane, in Philly, and walked right out, without screening of any kind. :huh: So much for security.

Realized I had forgotten to turn my water off before leaving on vacation, when I arrived to a burst pipe, and 3 burst radiators.

Dining room completely destroyed. Damage to kitchen, and living room.

About a foot of water in the basement.

Some of my favorite antiques, and first edition books, are gone. May be able to save dining table, and chairs.

Insurance may not cover, as my heat was not working.

From high, to low, in seconds flat.

I wasn't shocked, as it seems that I can't have something nice, without something bad happening. :mellow: I was, almost expecting it.

Boo-hoo, or, whatever...

• Like 3

Tja that sucks big time. Probably the same feeling I had several years ago when I arrived home on New Years Day after a week's holidays only to find my home and detached garage ransacked.

• Like 5

Oh, @Tja, so sorry to hear about this. It would be a rotten situation to return home to at any time, but especially so coming off the high from your travels and exhaustion from the trip home. :( 

• Like 6

@Tja Oh my gosh!  I'm so sorry.  That must be so stressful.  Do you need a place to stay?  I have a spare bedroom....in Idaho.  

Welcome @Jayred63!!

18 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@faraday☘ Sounds cozy being surrounded by your FIVE animals.  Is it three cats and two dogs?

3 dogs & 2 cats.  I just noticed your avi is a pic of the solar eclipse.  For a while, I thought it was an eyeball.:lol:

It was a warm day today, in the 40s.  Normally it's about 5 this time of year.  Still snow on the ground, but much of it has melted.  The forecast calls for more snow tomorrow.  

• Like 4

Oh, no, @Tja! That is awful to come home from a wonderful fun trip to such a disaster :( And books :( My heart hurts.

• Like 6

Welcome, @Jayred63:cake: :)

Oh no @Tja! That is terrible what happened to your home! Hope you can get help with the insurance.

I’ve been rather busy lately with lots of things. I decided to get a Tracfone finally. I’ve been impressed with the one I got mom and lately with some incidences we had, I thought it would be a good idea for each of us to have our own phone on us at all times when out and about. ( I sometimes borrowed hers) Both of ours are LG flip phones. I help mom manage hers as she’s not up on that sort of thing.

We are having a Mona Lisa drawing contest at work. I turned mine in and later they will display the entries for people to vote on them.

• Like 6
37 minutes ago, Jayred63 said:

Thanks for the welcoming everyone! :) I can't see where to reply to individual posts ... ?

Click the plus next to quote in the post then select quote 1 post in the lower right corner and it will add it to your post.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, will123 said:

Now my question, how cold does it get in the Antarctic?

The average annual temperature ranges from about −10°C on the Antarctic coast to −60°C at the highest parts of the interior. Near the coast the temperature can exceed +10°C at times in summer and fall to below −40°C in winter. Over the elevated inland, it can rise to about −30°C in summer but fall below −80°C in winter. The lowest temperature yet recorded on the Earth's surface was −89.2°C at Vostok station on 21 July 1983. (I cannot wrap my head around  −89.2°C :blink:) Antarctica is the coldest, windiest and driest continent on Earth, but as @daveb wrote, the greatest concentrations of penguins are on Antarctic coasts and the less severe subantarctic islands.

According to the Australian Antarctic Division, there are 18 species of penguins, four of which live in Antarctica proper. Adélie and emperor penguins breed on the shores of the Antarctic continent and nearby islands while chinstraps breed on islands around Antarctica and gentoos (one of the species in Calgary Zoo) are found on islands ranging from the Antarctic to the subantarctic. They all have various adaptations for dealing with extreme cold.  Another four species (King - another species in Calgary Zoo, Royal, Southern Rockhopper  - another species in Calgary Zoo, and Macaroni - yes, there is a Macaroni Penguin) live on the subantarctic islands. More here:

http://www.antarctica.gov.au/about-antarctica/wildlife/animals

The other species in Calgary Zoo is the Humboldt penguin which aren't Antarctic, but hail from Chile and Peru. Maybe they were the ones they needed to keep inside!

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Tja said:

Boo-hoo, or, whatever...

Definitely boo-hoo. So sorry for you.

• Like 4

@Tja My most sincere sympathy for your losses:mad:.  I know this may sound cliché, but in the end it is all just stuff.  I know it is stuff with meaning, memories and value, but it is still just stuff.  If you still have good health and a functional body, you can get by with less stuff.  People in our lives are important too, but that is a scarce commodity that most of us asexuals could use more of in times like these.  We're here for you!  Unfortunately, "here" is not where you are or I would be over to your house tomorrow helping you clean up and discard.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

I just noticed your avi is a pic of the solar eclipse.  For a while, I thought it was an eyeball.:lol:

I can see that. :lol: (that it looks like an eyeball)

1 hour ago, Kazbe said:

Macaroni Penguin

There is also a Jackass penguin (so-named because it sounds like a donkey braying).

The Macaroni penguins have yellow feathers that stick out past their ears. I think their name comes from the same idea as Yankee Doodle sticking a feather in his hat and calling it macaroni. Macaroni in those cases derives from the Macaroni Club in 18th century England. According to Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable:

Macaroni. a coxcomb. The word is derived from the Macaroni Club, instituted in London about 1760 by a set of flashy men who had travelled in Italy, and introduced at Almack's subscription table the new-fangled Italian food, macaroni.The Macaronies were exquisite fops; vicious, insolent, fond of gambling, drinking and duelling, and were the curse of Vauxhall Gardens.

• Like 8

@Tja - I couldn't like your original post...because that's terrible news :(

• Like 7
1 hour ago, EarthMama said:

@Tja - I couldn't like your original post...because that's terrible news :(

I know, it's too bad there weren't a couple of more choices for reactions. A couple of the other forums I'm on include, thanks, laughing, confused and sad along with the 'like' button.

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

@Tja I'm so sorry your holiday came to such a sad end; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your insurance company will come to the party with a decent offer!

5 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja My most sincere sympathy for your losses:mad:.  I know this may sound cliché, but in the end it is all just stuff.  I know it is stuff with meaning, memories and value, but it is still just stuff.  If you still have good health and a functional body, you can get by with less stuff.  People in our lives are important too, but that is a scarce commodity that most of us asexuals could use more of in times like these.  We're here for you!  Unfortunately, "here" is not where you are or I would be over to your house tomorrow helping you clean up and discard.

Definitely seconded!

• Like 6

@Tja, not the homecoming you want. :(Hope that the floodwater hasn't damaged the electrics at the very least.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Tja ... Unfortunately, "here" is not where you are or I would be over to your house tomorrow helping you clean up and discard.

Well said, that’s what I think too. 

• Like 7

Catching up on the thread this morning and am so sorry to hear of Tja's misfortune. Ack. We would all be there to help if we could.

• Like 8
On 17/01/2018 at 10:52 PM, faraday☘ said:

When I respond to the questions it seems that I lean toward being fair and loyal, etc., versus intellectual or witty.  As far as I know a patronus is always some kind of animal.

I've been regularly harvesting ...

@faraday☘ Thank you for the reply 😊 . Seems you have green fingers 👩‍🌾.

• Like 5