anyone past 50 on here?

Welcome, @CaliforniaDream'in! :cake:

@chandrakirti, @Kazbe and @Muledeer: yes, Buckfast was the first monastery to cross my mind. (I have a vague memory of my parents once taking me there, probably when I was a teenager, and mentioning the (in)famous tonic wine. Not until years later did I realise that people actually drank the stuff!) 

@Mocha Jo: I hope you manage to fill your skip!

My work week included two days of training relating to one of the dullest topics I have ever been subjected to! On the plus side, we found ourselves locked out of the training room yesterday morning, which added a little excitement to the proceedings. We ended up doing the first part of the day's training outside in the sun and were almost upset when the maintenance folk managed to get the door open.

I'm feeling pleased with myself because I came home yesterday evening and found the enthusiasm to mow the lawn. This morning I've done some strimming and I was just putting all the kit away when I felt a few drops of rain. For once in my life, I think I've read the weather runes right!

• Like 10

To those of you whose calendars include Memorial Day, enjoy the long weekend! Other than a lunch get-together tomorrow, I plan to lie low and just get in some chores, reading, and R&R.

Having contractor trouble seems to be a universal experience -- I have so many house projects I've put off not only because of the potential cost and disruption, but because I so dread trying to find dependable, trustworthy workers. The only two good contractors I do use came highly recommended by friends or co-workers, and twice for specialized one-time projects I've found decent people through Angie's List.

On the other hand, the first plumber I hired after buying my house was one whom several neighbors have used for years, but he tried to inflate my bill, so after that he was dead to me. :mellow:

A favorable update on a topic discussed many pages back: My state has finally enacted a law to comply with "Real ID," so we should be able to still use our driver's licenses for now to board domestic flights. Whew! Of course, we'll have to pay more to get new enhanced licenses once they're available, probably not till 2019.

• Like 8

I started ripping out my plastic tub. And found out there isn't a water shut off in the basement for the sink and tub. So a plumber is needed before I can get some of it out. But I have started the non plumbing walls and the linoleum floor. I feel accomplished, so I can take tomorrow off and go to the fiber festival in Massachusetts. Woohoo! More shopping!

• Like 7

I went and played games (board and card) all day today and had a lot of fun. :)

• Like 7

I'm clearing a large border and very, very hot at the moment.  Having a glass of water, cool down break.

• Like 8
Skycaptain

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. 

I'm hoping I finish work in time to mow the lawn before the threatened rain arrives 

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

I'm clearing a large border and very, very hot at the moment.  Having a glass of water, cool down break.

Is that a puppy on the piano of your profile picture?  YOUR puppy?

• Like 6

Sounds as if several of you have made good progress in recent days with your home chores and projects. @Mocha Jo, the fiber festival sounds like an enjoyable "reward"!

Just read in a college alumni posting that an old classmate has died, and I recall that mutual friends once fixed us up, though that led to only a date or two. The posting mentioned that he's survived by his husband. Wonder if he was closeted at the time or just not yet fully cognizant of his sexual identity. I went to a pretty liberal college, which did have at least one gay/lesbian organization then (late '70s--the term LGBT was not yet in use), but this is certainly a reminder of how different things are today in terms of public (and even self-)awareness and acceptance.

• Like 8
19 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Is that a puppy on the piano of your profile picture?  YOUR puppy?

Haha, no.  I am having fun with dog-on-a-piano avatars at the moment.  My old dog is still going strong at 15.  This is a picture of him playing with his birthday toy.

31457f9a-caf0-42f2-bc6d-5df716007844_zps

• Like 7
BobRossRules

I can relate to contractor problems.  My basement has been a project that has been ongoing since October!  Not showing up or being late is typical.  They only just finished.  My house was built quicker.   I'm relieved it's done now.  I spent the entire day yesterday organizing, sorting, and throwing stuff out.  I found some old photos of myself and my first guide dog.  I didn't even recognize myself.  It's been so long since I've seen pictures from my 20s.  It's not so much age...I mean yes I'm older, but I look SO different.  See my original guide dog made me cry.  I cried for about an hour!!  However, the basement is now cleared out.  Well except the trash.  It will take me about 3 weeks worth of trash service to get rid of it.  I also have recycling, but they only come twice per month.  I plan on moving my exercise equipment down there, so I'll need to hire movers.  

I hope everyone is having a good weekend!!  

• Like 8
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I found some old photos of myself and my first guide dog.  I didn't even recognize myself.  It's been so long since I've seen pictures from my 20s.  It's not so much age...I mean yes I'm older, but I look SO different.  See my original guide dog made me cry.  I cried for about an hour!!

Aw - sounds bittersweet. :)

(now I'm curious about your old pics. :lol: )

I found a local drop-off bin to donate old books down the road from where I live, so I dropped off a small load today. (also bought some locally made ice cream at the grocery store when I did some grocery shopping this morning - hopefully I can control myself and ration it out in not overly large portions! :) )

• Like 8

The weekend is almost over here, but it has been a good one. (Alas, we don't get the bank holiday in this part of the world, so I'll be back in the office tomorrow.)

This afternoon has been sunny and, up until about half an hour ago, midge free. (I've now retreated indoors.)

Thanks to the sunny afternoon, I managed to get laundry out on the line and dry. I'm now rewashing the sheet, thanks to some lovely little feathered friend leaving a very...generous...souvenir!

I put manure on the raised beds, got some weeding done, and I have finally got around to planting a few things. I hope things grow better this season than they have the last couple. (I've now decided that I'll never be able to feed myself by growing-my-own, so anything that comes out of the garden is a delightful little bonus. This has also coloured my decisions on what I'll try to grow. I'm pinning some of my hopes on a globe artichoke plant...)

I have filled the boot of my car with sacks of garden waste, so I'll be going to the tip during my lunch hour tomorrow. Boy, do I know how to have fun!

• Like 9

HI Everyone!

I've been doing the domestic stuff, also.

I cleaned the front porch, rocking chairs & bistro set. (What a mess!)

Did laundry, and finished clearing out the dressing room of oversize clothing. It's, nearly, empty! (No idea what to do with the room, now).

Fixed my laptop.:o (Not sure how I did it, but, it's working again.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend, too!

PS - I have given up on contractors. I refuse to do anything else, unless it's an absolute emergency.

• Like 11
Gentle Giant

Today my brother, mom and I went across the state to put flowers on my dad's grave and visit other family members graves too. Went by our grandparents old house, the current owners have kept it up nice. We also met my 101 year old aunt for lunch. She is still very independent, drives a car, doesn't need a cane or walker. Sure we made her day by getting together. We also picked up flowers for mom to plant around the house. Tomorrow mom and I will visit one of her friends who is in the nursing home, not doing well at all.

• Like 10

Wow, @Gentle Giant, your aunt's continued independence at 101 is quite something, though the fact she still drives at that age seems both impressive yet kind of alarming.:unsure:

• Like 8

@Gentle Giant, your life sounds a lot my life ten years ago.  I did a lot of things with and for my mother and enjoyed it most of the time.  What an amazing aunt you have - someone who is still independent at age 101 is truly a remarkable person.

I had a great day.  My friend, whom I have known since we were 12 years old, came to visit with his wife and 17 year old kid.  We hiked, fixed a broken pipe, played with the dog, ate lunch and had a nice visit.  Then I took another 2 mile hike with Elsa this evening.  She is worn out, poor thing.  At 8 years old, she lacks the stamina she used to have.  I feel like I was exposed to lots of high intensity sunlight today.

Regarding contractors, I just try not to use them.  Sometimes you have to and you are simply at their mercy.  The problem with not using contractors is some that things just don't get fixed.    If I had a sig other, they would likely not tolerate the condition of some of my surroundings.  But since I am the only one to whom it matters, things get fixed when they need to and no sooner.  My carpet and flooring in general is in really bad shape.

• Like 10
Skycaptain

@Gentle Giant, that your aunt is being treated for macular degradation is a good thing, partly because to an extent it's progress can be delayed, and secondly because they'll do frequent visual acuity tests,  so much better than just not visiting the optician. She must be one of the world's oldest drivers, though. 

Yays for finishing your planting @Tystie

We had an 0300 thunderstorm so I'm a bit sleepy still. 

• Like 9

@Gentle Giant I had a great aunt who lived alone and independently to the age of 99.  In the end a fall and a broken hip stopped her reaching 100.  She no longer drove but got the bus into town most days to do a little shopping and meet friends for coffee.

I did a lot of planting yesterday @Tystie , and @Skycaptain's thunderstorm reached here too and obligingly watered everything in for me.  I am having a slow bank holiday start after a disturbed night.

@Muledeer I am sorry Elsa is already aging, but as you say, she is one of a wonderful breed and to enjoy owning a big breed involves accepting they have a shorter span.  My dog started to show he was slowing down from about 13.  I went through a wobbly stage when he was ill just before turning 15, and again on his birthday even though he was fine again by then, but just have to enjoy his companionship a day at a time now, while he is still happy and playful.

• Like 11
Autumn Sunrise

@Gentle Giant, what an amazing person your aunt must be! I'd like to think I'd be so good at 101 :D (although I do wonder what the world will be like when/if I reach 101!)

I think winter's arrived here! It's been very chilly today - we lit the fire early :D - and we have six mornings of severe frost forecast! I checked the lagging again this afternoon, and tucked a sack around the chickens' water dispenser. It's quite funny watching them trying to drink and wondering how the water became solid, but I don't think it amuses them very much :o We lost one of our little Sussex bantams a few days ago - she just went downhill quite quickly with no apparent reason, and died. It's left her little sister alone  :( - we only had the two Sussex bantams. However she seems to be OK - fingers crossed!

*cats* and I have done lots of garden clearing and planted a variety of winter veg. They're all doing well so far.

We're still working on getting our remaining two cats to make friends. Gemma, who's a rescue cat, is still inclined to be suspicious, and growl or lash out, but we've got to the point where they can be in the same room, quite close to each other even, without any actual fisticuffs. Maybe one day she and Tosca will lie down together :D

Have a good week, everyone!

• Like 11
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Wow, it's great to hear of your venerable relatives @Gentle Giant and @Mz Terry, I hope I'm that good if I ever get to that age. 

I have the opposite problem with my cat @Autumn Sunrise, she seems to be too friendly. She was sitting in an armchair last night casually watching a giant fat tom cat eating her food in my kitchen...this guy makes me laugh, he looks too well fed to be a stray, but I kinda like him? He's always apologetic looking when caught in the act, and slinks off guiltily...then what does my old girl do? She hisses...at me! I think they have an arrangement.

I passed all the information I can get about the roofing problem to my daughter, and left a few ear singeing reviews on yell.com, trustpilot etc....today she's off to see the cheese rolling at Cooper's Hill (don't ask!) so I'll be watching that bot of video later.

As for me, well, my happy bank holiday weekend didn't go completely to plan. I got some nice plants for my front garden, cleaned out the planters ready for them....and on Saturday night, at midnight, a new family moved in next door ....and the next morning their kids went out and totalled another neighbours lovely garden, breaking pots, throwing hanging baskets all over the place and breaking his beautiful ornamental tree in half. So, I spent the last day looking at remote rural properties again, all back in the highlands.One can dream. So, nothing goes in the front garden now. (no pun intended..)

Chelsea flower show was great, though I didn't buy anything there. My favourite garden as an animal lover, turned out to win the people's award.It was for the World Horse Welfare charity and the back story to it is a very heartwarming one. I loved the horse sculpture in the middle of it, all made out of horse shoes. Magic. The Maltese garden was amazing too, despite most of the area of it being taken up with quarry stones, and the cactus display. I wish I was any good at putting photos online, I'd bombard everyone with these if I could (eat your heart out @cdrdash:D:cake:).

43 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

and on Saturday night, at midnight, a new family moved in next door ....and the next morning their kids went out and totalled another neighbours lovely garden, breaking pots, throwing hanging baskets all over the place and breaking his beautiful ornamental tree in half.

:o

• Like 8
11 hours ago, Muledeer said:

The problem with not using contractors is some that things just don't get fixed.

yeah :(

6 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

Maybe one day she and Tosca will lie down together

good luck with the felines!

1 hour ago, Tja said:
1 hour ago, chandrakirti said:

and on Saturday night, at midnight, a new family moved in next door ....and the next morning their kids went out and totalled another neighbours lovely garden, breaking pots, throwing hanging baskets all over the place and breaking his beautiful ornamental tree in half.

:o

that's terrible :(

Woke up to overcast skies, so I'm hoping for a cooler day today. Tomorrow's forecast says low 60s and possible rain. :D

• Like 5
chair jockey

Just thought I'd pop in to say that it's John F. Kennedy's 100th birthday today. I missed him by just a couple of years, but his death was a thing worldwide.

• Like 6

I have very vague recollections of the day of his death (I was in early elementary school - 1st or 2nd grade). The memories are practically gone, other than post-memories that the adults were in shock when they got the news.

• Like 6

In the UK news of JKF's murder reached in the evening. I was a young boy coming home with my mother from a parent/teachers meeting at my school. We met someone on the walk home who delivered the news. I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I was young, of course.

The following day, the first ever episode of Dr Who was aired in the UK. What a weekend!

• Like 8
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Yes, @Midland Tyke, that's how I remember JFK, getting home from school to find my mother upset about the news....and Norman Hartnell as the very first, crusty old Doctor Who. Ah, those were the days.

@Tja, your avatar looks like how I felt about that garden episode!

@Muledeer, I just actually watched Muledeer being stalked by a puma , as part of a documentary series about the big cat family. Beautiful deer. 

5 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Yes, @Midland Tyke, that's how I remember JFK, getting home from school to find my mother upset about the news....and Norman Hartnell as the very first, crusty old Doctor Who. Ah, those were the days.

@Tja, your avatar looks like how I felt about that garden episode!

@Muledeer, I just actually watched Muledeer being stalked by a puma , as part of a documentary series about the big cat family. Beautiful deer. 

William Hartnell ! Norman was a fashion designer.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Haha! Thanks @Midland Tyke, I always get them mixed up!:lol:

@chandrakirti I know nothing about, and have no interest in, fashion design. So I was really only aware of William. Best Doctor Ever, of course :D

• Like 6