"Tetris Style" games appreciation thread.

Davehat

You know what guys? I well love tetris and tetris style puzzle games. You know. The sort where you've got to sort stuff as it falls out of the sky.

I think this mainly started with a game called New tetris on the N64 which was basically normal tetris with the added bonus of what we called mega blocks (perfect 4x4 blocks made from 4 bricks). I think my record (which was the best of all my friends) was fiftteen hundred something lines.

newtetri1_640w.jpg

I've also spent far too much of my past life playing Dr Robotnics mean bean machine. it's a bit like dr mario only vastly better because of the combo thing.

dr-robotniks-mean-bean-machine-virtual-console-20061211040011008_640w.jpg

A few years ago when Iw as with my ex we went through a stage of playing wario's woods together pretty much everyday. She got better than me :angry: nm.

Warios_Woods_SNES_ScreenShot4.gif

And also I think an honorable mention has to go to puzzle kombat which i had on the DS until I gave it to my brother. It's a little bit simplistic for my tastes but it's addictive none the less.

ultimate_mortal_kombat_profilelarge.jpg

So yeah! Show me some tetris style game love tbh!

I once made a tetris clone I called "poly-tris". Where in normal tetris the shapes all have four blocks in them, in poly-tris it could be anywhere from one to five. If you thought those funny s and z shaped ones were annoying, you should have seen some of the buggers I had! I also introduced some "bonus" tiles, such as the indestructable steel block that didn't disappear when you made a line, or the bomb that went off when the tile landed and blew the surrounding tiles up, and the ever-useful earthquake bomb that, when you made a line containing it made all the tiles fall down to fill up any gaps.

It was a nice idea, but my programming abilities at the time were less than formidable and the game was riddled with bugs. It also proved too hard to make tiles of different colours, so they were all the same pinky-blue. The scoreboard barely worked and the speed of the falling blocks only barely increased as you progressed.

Fish That Swims

Drop Dead, from the Monty Python and the Holy Grail game. Tetris with corpses, except some are still alive and they wiggle around, and say "I'm not dead" and "I feel happy"

I love puzzle games, but if I play them too frequently when I'm bored I'll start making them in my mind and proceed to play that way so I try to refrain once I start feeling that obsessive XD

Other than the ones you have on your list, I like Bust a Move (bubble bobble, what have you), Puzzle Star Sweep, and such. Admittedly both of those are kind of childish puzzle games, but they're fun still. Plus I'm a bust a move champ, no one has yet been able to beat me! :P

Tetrisphere (N64) is pretty awesome.

Blockout is also good.

They're saying now Tetris helps treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I tried it last night. Not for PTSD, just couldn't sleep and tried to calm my mind. Didn't really work. But that could be because I was using the computer keyboard and couldn't remember which key was which. :unsure:

tbf I find tetris quite calming.... until it gets to the later levels and you don't even see the bricks fall and you're screaming at it because you know where you want them but it's so hard to get them there before they settle.

This is my own fault for playing tetris that I reach the later levels.

AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

You forgot the legendary columns >.<

Also Demons Dr Robotnics Bean Machine was a bitch, I could never get past the last level.

Herr Joseph von Löthing

Anyone ever played bastet on linux? It's the same as the original tetris, except it chooses the least suitable blocks for you. So if you play waiting for the long thin one, it'll never come.

I never found anyone who could even make one line.

Sounds like this awesome video!

edit:

By the way, I hate you so much for introducing me to bastet! That game's barbaric!

I did manage to make a couple of lines though

Tetris is nice. Kudos to the person who mentioned drop dead from Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail game from SeventhLevel.

Admittedly, in farther levels where the blocks drop fast, I have to stop... the concentration and adrenaline kills me. -__-

Herr Joseph von Löthing

Sounds like this awesome video!

edit:

By the way, I hate you so much for introducing me to bastet! That game's barbaric!

I did manage to make a couple of lines though

:lol: It's pretty awesome isn't it?

Archived