red_brick_dream

How Many Wear the Ring?  

1. 1. Do you wear the ring?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

This poll is closed to new votes

Capslock Cadet

Rings are my favorite type of jewelry, and today I finally found a black ring.

It's not perfect, but it'll do 'til I find something better. So yesh, I wear it.

Batman's Ace

I can't wear rings because I have OCD, and I'd need two mirror-image rings, one for each hand. Even then I'd play with them constantly. Which means I'd have to explain them, because my family's not used to me wearing jewelry.

I do like the symbol, though. Wish I could wear one.

BonesTheHeretic

I have one... but I've always worn it on my right index finger. Whoops.

But yeah I wear it all the time. Almost literally. I sleep in it. Only time I take it off is when I'm gonna be having a shower or lifting weights cuz it pinches slightly if I'm holding weights.

Another ace friend bought it for me for my birthday (veeeery belated but that's okay), so it's kinda doubly important to me, I guess?

.diva plavalaguna.

I don't. I used to want to but not anymore. Only other aces really know about it, which would be nice if any of them actually were around/gave a fuck, but that isn't the case. Besides I always lose/break rings and I wash my hands way too often to really wanna wear any rings.

I have a cheap, not really black, kinda repainted over several times one that I wear sometimes. But I just ordered a new one that should be coming in soon. When it gets here, I might make an effort to wear it more.

Yeah. I bought it a few weeks ago, and havent taken it off except to put my T on or make meatballs. I have to be able to sleep in jewelery else I lose it, so I basically dont take it off. That and my watch.

• 2 weeks later...

I wore one when I had one, but I've broken/lost the three different ones I had. Someday when I can afford to, I'll try to get another one, because I actually kind of like the idea of the ring.

• 2 weeks later...

The only jewellery I wear constantly is a silver ring on my right ring finger that has a small, flat pentacle design. I hate clunky rings, as I use my hands a lot.

I would like to wear a black ring, but I haven't got one, and for a variety of reasons, I am putting off looking for one for another five months or so. When I do, unless it clashes in a physically uncomfortable way against the ring I already wear all the time - I feel wrong without it on, now - I will probably wear it all the time.

I doubt I'll get questions about it, and I know it isn't exactly well known, but hopefully by the time I'll be wearing the ring, I'll be happy to actually talk to anyone who did ask - also a goal of talking to my brother (closest family I've got) about my being ace before then.

No I don't and I don't think I ever will. I don't think I have any reason to do so, but others are welcome to do what they wish.

I don't own one and don't plan to. Because of reasons.

1. I'm cheap.
  2. My work is very hands-on and jewelry would just get in the way.
  3. I was never a fan of flaunting my asexuality. My business is my business.
  4. Black is too gothic and for me. I wonder why black was even chosen for the ring in the first place - seems too grim for a pride piece.

But that's just me. Anyone that does, more power to you. :)

I don't, but then I've never really been into jewellery, about the only item of jewellery that I'll wear is a collar, I've just never really gotten on with anything else, and I'm not sure I'd wear a black ring anyway, as I don't think many people would know what it meant.

But if I understand correctly, it's not about waving the flag to sexuals, but about asexuals finding one another; being able to recognize another by this unspoken symbol we know about.

What a good idea. I didn't know what it was either.

But this also makes sense.... Does it have to be black? Can it be any color? I'm not likely to wear one, I just think it's good to be able to recognize each other - I might wear one if I was still single and in the dating versus non-dating phase of my life.

I don't own one and don't plan to. Because of reasons.

1. I'm cheap.
  2. My work is very hands-on and jewelry would just get in the way.
  3. I was never a fan of flaunting my asexuality. My business is my business.
  4. Black is too gothic and for me. I wonder why black was even chosen for the ring in the first place - seems too grim for a pride piece.

But that's just me. Anyone that does, more power to you. :)

I like the idea of the black ring. I already wear my Academy ring on my right ring finger though, so in the interests of not looking like a pimp I don't intend to wear the black ring (not to mention it would look cheap and shabby next to the other). I will look into getting a black ring though, to wear should I ever not be wearing my normal one.

Could I clarify, do people normally wear a plain band ring, or..?

Mine is made of black glass, and I wear it pretty much constantly. I only take it off to wash the dishes and sleep. Sometimes I forget to put it on, and I feel really weird because I am so used to it being there.

For me it is an important reminder and symbol, because I used to feel very alone and different. Now even though I know there are probably very few ace's where I live, and no-one quesions my black ring, there are other people like me all around the world, and I am not alone.

I dislike jewellery, and rings in general. So no, I don't wear a black ring.

I'm also still in Narnia and planning to remain there so I wouldn't know what to do if someone asked me about it.

But it's mostly because I dislike jewellery.

I don't know what you are talking about.

Wedding Ring?

I get the impression there is an :aven: ring but I've never heard of that before.

Reading the quotes, I get a hint that a black ring is a symbol for asexuality?

• 2 weeks later...
BookwormKaoru

I've never heard of this! I think I'm going to get one. :)

• 2 weeks later...
The Scrabbler

I don't wear it around the house, but I usually have it when I go out.

• 1 month later...
Strangelove

I've only just joined this forum, and while I identify as bisexual a lot of the things on here really strike a chord. I'd never heard of the black ring (so didn't feel it appropriate to vote No), but I like the sound of it - over the years I've toyed with wearing a wedding ring on my wedding finger as a way to discourage someone potentially making advances. OK I realise as was said above it's more about aces finding each other, but even so... :-)

I don't wear one right now, but that's just because the black ring that I want costs about $65, and when you're a poor graduate student, $65 is a lot of money. But I plan to buy one in the future and wear it. I like the idea of aces being able to recognize one another.

I would wear a black ring if I had one, but I don't yet. A friend of mine (and a HUGE ally/supporter of me and my queerness) is planning on giving me one as a gift for my twentieth birthday coming up in September, and I will wear it proudly.

• 2 weeks later...
evigmidnatt

black ring?

is this an American thing? because it sounds very interesting

I just got mine from the mail today. I ordered a black plastic one and a flag one. :) I am excited to wear them.

I bought a gorgeous tungsten carbide ring, and wore it constantly for the first 3 days. I even wore it to bed. Then one day, I woke up and it was gone. I guess it felt too tight on my finger for my subconscious mind, and I took it off in my sleep. I can't find it anywhere now, but I'm moving in 2 months so if nothing else I should find it when all of my furniture etc. is out of here.

In case anyone is looking for a great, affordable ring, this is the one I got:

Tungsten Carbide

If I don't find mine, I'll definitely be ordering another.

Are there any that are nickel free? If so, I'd be willing to consider it.

Archived