How many of us actually wear it?

red_brick_dream

How Many Wear the Ring?  

1. 1. Do you wear the ring?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

This poll is closed to new votes

which used to piss the ex wife off as i wouldn't wear my wedding ring either..just don't like things on my hands
I can see why it might piss some off, but it's not that uncommon.

2 male friends I know don't wear wedding rings. One plays volleyball a lot and is terrified of forgetting to remove it and losing it in the sand. His wife is fine with it, and they keep it in a box.

My other friend, he has a celtic ring tattooed on his finger instead. Thankfully, they have been happily married for the last 30 years :).

H xx

I wear mine. When I first started it was awkward to wear it, now I feel weird when I'm not wearing it.

Not that I've ever seen anyone else wear a black ring on the middle finger of their right hand, or that I would notice even if they were. :)

I don't wear or own the black ring. Partly this is because I'm too cheap to buy one, partly because I just don't wear jewelry much because I spend most of my time playing with it, and partly it's because I don't really want to explain why I started wearing it all the time.

I've been wearing mine every day since I got it. So, for a little over a month. Took a little time getting used to it, and I was a little paranoid that my family might ask me what it was seeing as I rarely wear jewelry. Surprisingly, no one's asked me. I wonder if they even notice. Only one person, a friend, has asked me about it.

pawprint prettysure

I'm moving this to Visibility and Education :)

pawprint

Musirants mod

Edit: Moving to Census.

Fosco Admin.

Only one person, a friend, has asked me about it.
And was it a positive reaction?

H xx

I don't as, like Disjointed, I can't stand things on my hands, or more specifically my fingers. I can't stand wearing fingered gloves anymore, they have to be fingerless, which isn't too brilliant in the depths of winter. After spending years working at an Outdoor activity centre and rock climbing and kayaking on a fairly regular basis, I needed my hands and stuff to be free of obstructions. The same goes with watches... I can't stand them on my wrist and broke several of them in quick succession, plus they catch on everything. So I own a pocket watch instead...

I used to wear a claddagh ring on my left hand ( that was given to me by my brother years ago.) but I stopped wearing it. That was probably about 5 years ago now and it hasn't made it's way back onto my hand. It's now braided into a length of climbing cord (yeah I am that posh :P) that I wear around my neck on the odd occassion- it won't fall off the cord as it's braided in, and if by chance it comes undone, it's bright green and tends to float :P.

The only jewelry I wear pretty much everyday is in my lip piercing, more often than not a ring or horseshoe type thing... that's mainly because I fiddle with it a lot when thinking or nervous etc and those styles are easier to faff with.

red_brick_dream

That's interesting. Though we had some votes of "Sometimes," that still makes roughly 47% of respondents who do wear one at least some of the time. Perhaps I'll think about it.

I'm moving this to Visibility and Education :)

pawprint

Musirants mod

Edit: Moving to Census.

Fosco Admin.

pwned!

That's interesting. Though we had some votes of "Sometimes," that still makes roughly 47% of respondents who do wear one at least some of the time. Perhaps I'll think about it.
It's making me think about it too.

I used to wear a ring every day for 5 years and I miss it.

H xx

I wear mine sometimes, but not that often. It amused me when I saw someone wearing one at a meetup a few months ago.

If anyone is interested the trend started in this thread (a few posts down on the first page).

I don't, but then I've never really been into jewellery, about the only item of jewellery that I'll wear is a collar, I've just never really gotten on with anything else, and I'm not sure I'd wear a black ring anyway, as I don't think many people would know what it meant.

But if I understand correctly, it's not about waving the flag to sexuals, but about asexuals finding one another; being able to recognize another by this unspoken symbol we know about.

I never really thought of it like that, I always assumed it was a form of pride thing, although I'm still not sure it's a great sign of asexuality as it's generic enough that a fair few people probably wear them just because they like them. But having said all that I kind of gave it and bought a ring today, it was mostly random chance while I was at a meet and happened to find a cheap one that fits me. Still not sure if I'll wear it, but I'm going to try and see if I can get used to the idea of jewellery.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought mine at the beginning of the year, and now I definitely feel naked without it. I've seen a couple of people around Boston wearing them as well, so it is a good way to increase the probability of recognizing each other in public. I've also had friends ask about it. All have reacted favorably both to my asexuality and the ring. But then again, they're all the "feel empowered in your identification" type, and several wear their own versions of a ring - the single woman's right-handed diamond, the silver matching equality rings, the right-handed wedding band of a religious order, etc.

okay I gotta ask

how many who wear black rings..have gone to another black ring wearer and said hi..you asexual too

or is the ring just a myth based on a personal feeling more than a item for recognition?

I don't, because I don't think it is exclusive enough.

If I want to be identified as asexual, like at meetups or etc, I will wear something with the AVEN logo on it. Most of the time, though, it isn't an issue since I already have an asexual partner and I don't really care what the general public knows or thinks about me.

-GB

I wear one. It used to be on the middle finger of my left hand, and then I found the thread about wearing it on your right hand to identify as asexual and thought that was very convinient and switched it. I've never asked anyone about theirs, partially because I'm a coward, and partially because I don't tend to notice little details about people all the time. I have to be really looking for it.

Someone told me it was cool last Saturday though, and I got flustered and later wondered if they were an AVENite. If you live in Sydney and work in a pie store across from a pet store and a vet the ring means what you think it means :P

I wear one, although I've never seen anyone else with one nor has anyone ever known what it means (but then again, I only know 1 other ace, who hasn't seen it yet). I wear it mostly just so if anyone from AVEN meets me, I figure they will know and ask about it. Or at least hint about it. If I ever see someone else with one I will immediately offer them cake and ask what the ring is for.

Also, I think as long as people realize its on the right middle finger, then its exclusive enough. Just any black ring is far too common, but few people wear rings on their right middle finger so I think it works out. Also, most of my friends have thought it was kind of cool (although I don't know if they still thought so after I told them what it was for). I generally wear darker colors so it matches my style fairly well. Any non-aces tend to think I wear it just to look cool, which is especially strange since I never wear any jewelry other than my watch.

TheLocalDinosaur

I don't like jewelry much, but a simple black ring matches anything I wear and suits my personality as well. I got mine for $5 at a swap meet and it fits great. I wear it all the time, but no one's recognized it yet. :P

Member33070

Sometimes. I was wearing a hematite one and broke it banging on a metal door (I got locked in a stair tower). Then I chipped another when I lightly punched a window on the light rail in frustration. :ph34r:

Now I have a black agate one that I want to wear a lot more. Just afraid of chipping or breaking it.

I went through a period where I was upset with AVEN and other AVENites I'd met, which prompted me making a new account, and I didn't wear the ring for all that time. It was hard identifying as ace for a while there...

But now I'm back. I know who I am and where I belong. I understand people are different and I don't have to meet other AVENites to confirm my sexuality.

Interesting! I didn't expect so many people to wear the ring. I don't, but, then again, I don't wear any rings.

I wear mine when I go into town. Only one friend of mine has ever commented on it. I take it off at home, and whenever I'm out with my mom, as she doesn't know and I really don't feel the need to have that conversation yet. ever.

CrazyCatLover

I used to wear it very often, but haven't since getting married. I don't feel comfortable wearing much jewelry.

• 2 weeks later...

spooky! I have a beautiful black ring with a black gem. Have been wearing it for months now. Is this an Aven symbol or just an agreed recognition sign? I like the black ring thing...a bit Goth! But would wear it anyway simply because I like black...especially in the winter

• 5 months later...

I wear the ring, and I wear it with pride. Besides, I see it as being a great look for me in a general sense. 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived