red_brick_dream

How Many Wear the Ring?  

1. 1. Do you wear the ring?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

This poll is closed to new votes

red_brick_dream

The black ring, that is. The thread "asexual signs" got me to thinking: I've seen lots of threads posing this question, but I've never seen an actual poll done. I apologize in advance if this has been done before - I'm not about to search the entire archive to ensure that it hasn't - but let's do an up-do-date one, if you would be so kind as to oblige me.

I've been considering it, but if I get a really low turnout of people who do wear them I might not be so inclined. Therefore, a poll!

Yep, anytime I leave my apartment I put it on. I don't feel right if I'm not wearing it now.

I wear it all the time- Or at least, I did until I misplaced it. When I find the thing it'll be going right back on.

I have got to learn to stop playing with my jewellery.

Sorry to be really dense here, what black ring are we talking about?

Is it the same idea as the celibacy ring?

H xx

I don't, but then I've never really been into jewellery, about the only item of jewellery that I'll wear is a collar, I've just never really gotten on with anything else, and I'm not sure I'd wear a black ring anyway, as I don't think many people would know what it meant.

Sleeping Beauty

No, I have the purity ring (and it is a very pretty ring) since way before I discovered asexuality (once upon a time, when I couldn't believe there existed any kind of sexual drive or attraction, what a naivety :mellow:) and I haven't bought the black ring yet.

I like those ads for the "right hand diamond" that you see in magazines, "Independant women of the world, raise your right hands." There is a picture of a lady with her hand up & you can see her diamond ring. It's for single women who have the audacity to go against society's harsh rule, and buy their own jewelry (because single ladies are not supposed to buy their own jewelry, I'm sure that's written down somewhere... !!!) -- I do not own a "black ring thing" but I bought myself a nice 10K gold diamond cluster ring (it has microscopic little chips set in yellow gold). I got it half off. Also, when my novella was published by an online lit zine, I bought myself a ruby ring, because one of the characters wears a ruby ring, and I wanted to celebrate, so I bought myself a ruby ring. I buy my own jewelry, so I guess I'm a bad girl -- I'm the baddest of all bad girls !!! I'm not waiting for anyone to ride up on a white stallion to bring me my jewels! If I want it, I'll buy it. Case closed. F--- this society!

What's funny is that on my left hand I have this lab created emerald, and some people assume I'm married because of the emerald, "You must be married to have such a nice ring." Yeah, I'm married to the Diamond Essence catalog.

Yeah, can someone please explain this ring to me?

I really want to, but I don't have one o3o

What they are talking about here is a plain black ring worn on your middle right finger to symbolize asexuality.

I really want to, but I don't have one o3o

What they are talking about here is a plain black ring worn on your middle right finger to symbolize asexuality.

Thank you! Didn't know it, but it seems like a great idea.

Thank you! Didn't know it, but it seems like a great idea.

It is!

We just have to start using it!

red_brick_dream

I don't, but then I've never really been into jewellery, about the only item of jewellery that I'll wear is a collar, I've just never really gotten on with anything else, and I'm not sure I'd wear a black ring anyway, as I don't think many people would know what it meant.

But if I understand correctly, it's not about waving the flag to sexuals, but about asexuals finding one another; being able to recognize another by this unspoken symbol we know about.

Mine fell on the floor the other day and smashed :( I haven't even found all the pieces...

I like those ads for the "right hand diamond" that you see in magazines, "Independant women of the world, raise your right hands." There is a picture of a lady with her hand up & you can see her diamond ring. It's for single women who have the audacity to go against society's harsh rule, and buy their own jewelry (because single ladies are not supposed to buy their own jewelry, I'm sure that's written down somewhere... !!!) -- I do not own a "black ring thing" but I bought myself a nice 10K gold diamond cluster ring (it has microscopic little chips set in yellow gold). I got it half off. Also, when my novella was published by an online lit zine, I bought myself a ruby ring, because one of the characters wears a ruby ring, and I wanted to celebrate, so I bought myself a ruby ring. I buy my own jewelry, so I guess I'm a bad girl -- I'm the baddest of all bad girls !!! I'm not waiting for anyone to ride up on a white stallion to bring me my jewels! If I want it, I'll buy it. Case closed. F--- this society!

What's funny is that on my left hand I have this lab created emerald, and some people assume I'm married because of the emerald, "You must be married to have such a nice ring." Yeah, I'm married to the Diamond Essence catalog.

I really enjoyed this post.

I really like that I have my own money and I can tell that to guys. I have no clue why guys think that I can be bought. I will buy my own jewelry, my own car, and my own house everything will be in my own name!

No, I don't wear a black ring.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I feel naked without my black ring.

I have mine, but I thought it was for the right ring finger and the ring I made is too big for that finger [fits on that middle finger, though]. I'll probably get one for my ring finger, too, but I'll be contented if it's the middle finger or doesn't matter which of the two you wear it on.

It hasn't been long since I've found one, but I've been wearing it all the time.

What an interesting idea. Being fairly new here it's the first I've heard of it.

I googled and results found it's mostly ace females who would wear a black ring. Is that about right? Any guys on here representing?

I'm thinking about it.

Another thing I'm curious about from reading the replies here... Is it a specific black ring - or can it be any ring on your right middle finger (I think that was the most-common finger mentioned)?

E.g. is there a specific black ring for asexuals? (I'm thinking along the lines of the Silver Ring Thing - for example - signifying their allegiance with a unique design for their group).

H xx

Re: "I really like that I have my own money and I can tell that to guys. I have no clue why guys think that I can be bought. I will buy my own jewelry, my own car, and my own house everything will be in my own name!" I have no clue why men think they can buy me, either. I actually had one guy ask me out and then open his wallet and wave a thick wad of bills at my face. (Rumor was he was a drug dealer -- not sure if it was true, though... Of course I ignored him.)

I have a new saying now, when men ask me out, if they are nice, I just say I work two jobs, and I'm busy. If they are a pain in the ass, I say, "I don't need to go out with you. I work to support myself. I own my own car, I have my own home. I have my own money. Why should I need to go out with you? After all," I would say, "No girl would go out with you except if she needed the money." Except I don't have a camera in my cell phone, so I can get a picky of their faces when I say that... Or these pain in the ass "Christian ladies" at my church who say they will "prey over me" (misspelling intentional) that God finds me a husband, "I don't need to get married. I can support myself." Whereas I'd rather be honest and work to support myself than pretend to love someone and have my bills paid.

Sleeping Beauty

Another thing I'm curious about from reading the replies here... Is it a specific black ring - or can it be any ring on your right middle finger (I think that was the most-common finger mentioned)?

E.g. is there a specific black ring for asexuals? (I'm thinking along the lines of the Silver Ring Thing - for example - signifying their allegiance with a unique design for their group).

H xx

I have seen some with aces or other symbols reminding to asexuality but I don't like them. According to the other topics on the board there isn't any rule about it, just to be a flat black ring worn on the middle finger of the right hand.

mephostophiles

I wear one on each hand.

One black ring on the middle finger, that is; I wear more rings than just those.

Measure for Measure

Didn't even know there was such a thing. An interesting thought, however.

I'm not too into jewelry, though. It might hinder mobility on my xbox controller. :P

. . .but there are sounds

I wear mine all the time. It doesn't do much as a visibility device, but I like it for the fact that it is a symbol. Symbols are linguistic, and language does not arise from a single individual, only from people in discourse. The fact that it has symbolic value proves that I am not truly alone when I am feeling my most isolated.

Other than a watch..and even then it depends if I want my day controlled by time...I wear no jewellry

which used to piss the ex wife off as i wouldn't wear my wedding ring either..just don't like things on my hands

I used to. But then I lost mine :(

I've been meaning to get a new one, but I've been really busy lately.

I don't feel myself without my jewelry... I only take my jewelry off for martial arts class, because all that jumping around can break something... and I don't mean an arm, I mean a gold chain!

I gots to has mah BLING !!!

I was on a cruise ship & this irritating British lady saw that I had three necklaces on -- two gold chains and some amber beads, which matched nicely, since the amber is gold colored... she sat near me at lunch and kept on about how I should only wear "one." So for the rest of the trip, I wore all three, every single effing day !!! She saw me again, "You are still wearing those?" "God help us when we allow others to tell us how to wear our jewelry." She shut up. Then I notice something that made me sad... she had no jewelry of her own... I thought about buying her something from the ship's gift shop, but I never saw her again.

I wish I could be like Mr. T, but that would be excessive, maybe...

Archived