All About Binders

Sammie

Lord Dandylion

Confusing people is so much fun though!

I know, right?! I mean, maybe I'm just weird, but I kind of like when people mistake me for a man and/or can't tell. Like I said before, definitely call myself female but I like to mix it up.

Yesterday I was at a gas station, and I swear this woman asked me for directions in order to find out my gender cuz she was looking over at me quizzically beforehand from behind her car like she hoped I wouldn't see her (and she was asking how to get onto the street that we were already on). Of course, she could've just been legitimately lost. But yes, confusing people can be fun.

I went with a friend to the mall today with a slightly androgynous look (girly-like polo, reduced, yet not flat, chest, baggy cargo pants [my one true love. Oh, the pocket space!], and, most importantly, the hairstyle + hat that is the only way to give myself the I-can't-tell look), and she didn't really react to it (I used to be a total cross dresser though (never tried to look like a man or anything in between, just preferred the clothes), so that might have had something to do with it). When we looked at clothes, I got this shirt that I absolutely loved that seemed relatively gender neutral (technically female though, but I just got it 'cause I liked it. I hate gender restrictions on clothing!), and when I told her I was interested in the androgynous look, she told me I could pull it off. I was happy. She also didn't seem terribly weirded out my my mentioning wanting boobs one day and others without (though I didn't actually bring up binding).

So I know one person so far at least who will not look at me any differently if I lose and regain boobs every other day (at least, I can't see her doing that, especially after today)

Man I just can't see any of these things working on my notso-funbags. No idea what size I am but they're pretty unmissable :/

Aww, well perhaps a combination of methods coupled with larger tee-shirts? (I'm no expert, obviously, since I was just asking questions). I have always been kind of a small in men's shirts (probably about medium in women's fitted shirts), but a few years ago I used to buy men's XLs ALLL the time. I bought a few shirts that I really loved though that were very fitted (never did any binding at the time, with or without the large tees) and people were like 'Whoa, you've got boobs,' and I'm like 'yeah.' I mean, it's not like you couldn't tell (or that I went out of my way to hide them with more than shirts) but it was a big enough difference to make an impression, I guess. Of course, you may not want to go with that method (I'm not so big on large shirts anymore), but I thought I'd throw it out there since it's the teeny amount of advice I might be able to give.

All the Underworks binders other then the Tritop are longer then the basic Danae model.

But why is that a problem? Personally, I find a long binder more comfortable, as the tri-top presses against my ribs in a way that longer models don't.

I've got the Danae transtop 101, the shortest model. But that's really only good for very small sizer or as a control top for none-binding days.

I've got a tummy and it'd feel uncomfortable if the binder would go even lower than the Danae binder I have (which is 102). Standing up it's not a problem but sitting down it's quite uncomfortable :unsure:

I see your points. I don't know if binders that go all the way to your hips bend well or not...

Confusing people is so much fun though!

Yes, isn't it? My mother could not believe her ears the first time she heard ''Your son...'' with me standing right next to her. She found it amusing too, though.

I have already decided to buy a Danae binder. I'd like to ask a question though. I've seen their size charts and they seem to have put two sizes in the same category, e.g. British 10 and 12 are S, 14 and 16 fall under M size, etc. I seem to be in the smaller size in such a category so I wonder, wouldn't the binder be too loose? Shouldn't I buy a binder one size smaller, or that would be too tight?

pawprint prettysure

I see your points. I don't know if binders that go all the way to your hips bend well or not...

Might be worth a shot. *ponders*

I have already decided to buy a Danae binder. I'd like to ask a question though. I've seen their size charts and they seem to have put two sizes in the same category, e.g. British 10 and 12 are S, 14 and 16 fall under M size, etc. I seem to be in the smaller size in such a category so I wonder, wouldn't the binder be too loose? Shouldn't I buy a binder one size smaller, or that would be too tight?

When I measured myself, the measurement was in-between of two sizes. I took the smaller size and I'm glad I did, coz the bigger one would have been too big.

I don't know if that helps any, tho :unsure:

When I measured myself, the measurement was in-between of two sizes. I took the smaller size and I'm glad I did, coz the bigger one would have been too big.

I don't know if that helps any, tho :unsure:

Thanks pawprint, but in my case it's a bit different. I'm the lower of two regular clothes sizes that are grouped in one Danae size. So I wondered whether I should promptly buy a the size that supposedly fits and hope it won't be too loose as it's supposed to fit people that are a bit larger than me too or should I go for the smaller size and be prepared that it would be a bit tighter at first. Recently I've put some weight because I had to work mostly in front of the computer but it won't stay when I'm out and about again, so I expect that my measurements will go down about an inch in the following month.

For people with worries about large breasts: Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to bind yourself completely flat without huge amounts of uncomfortable. I bound myself for cosplaying as male characters long before I ever bound myself for every day life. And well, I'm pretty large. I mean, DDD large. It sucks.

Somehow I've managed to coin a technique that binds me pretty well and makes me look quite flat (if I'm wearing the right type of shirt). I got my binder from T-Kingdom. http://www.t-kingdom.com/shopping/english/page1700_english.shtml I think I got the largest size available because it suggests that for large breasts, but now I think I could have gone a size smaller. The binder alone doesn't help much though, it's more of the finishing touch. Underneath, I wear a sports bra probably two sizes too small. Then I wear one thick ace bandage. Probably about three inches wide. And I wrap that around my chest from the bottom up. That seems to do the trick for me.

It convinced a group of girls that I was a "hot" boy from an angle where my chest should have been very visible. It made my mom think I photoshopped a boy's body onto my own. And all of my other friends that bind for cosplay or personal reasons always ask me how I get so flat, though I have the biggest chest of all of them. So I suppose my advice is worth something?

Lord Dandylion

It convinced a group of girls that I was a "hot" boy from an angle where my chest should have been very visible. It made my mom think I photoshopped a boy's body onto my own. And all of my other friends that bind for cosplay or personal reasons always ask me how I get so flat, though I have the biggest chest of all of them. So I suppose my advice is worth something?

Hee!

But the question is: How uncomfortable is it? I've done sports bra+ace bandage (which is about enough for me, at least) while staying relatively comfortable (though I have yet to try this on a day-to-day experience). Does the binder added to that make it harder to breathe, etc?

Hee!

But the question is: How uncomfortable is it? I've done sports bra+ace bandage (which is about enough for me, at least) while staying relatively comfortable (though I have yet to try this on a day-to-day experience). Does the binder added to that make it harder to breathe, etc?

It's... well, it's something you get used to. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to flatten a larger chest in complete comfort. I'd say that for me, the ace bandage is what causes the most discomfort because it does most of the actual flattening. The binder just kind of holds it all in and makes me feel like nothing is going to slip. I breathe fine. My chest just feels a little tighter than normal (for obvious reasons). Haha.

If I'm in hot weather (Thank you, Florida!) the ace bandage may irritate my skin.

In general, it's not something I do every day because it's slightly inconvenient, but it works for me when I do need it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share. I just bought my first binder from Love Boat Shop. They originate from Taiwan (I'm surprised of the establishment of such a successful store in Taiwan...), but their english site caters to everyone around the country. It cost quite an amount, but I'd rather buy a more expensive one and have it last than buy one cheaper and suffer from pains, aches, and possible permanent damage to your skin, and not have it last long.

So I'm going to share my first experience in binding with a chest binder. The binder I got (High Performance Velcro Short Binder - Black) is pretty good. I got it in a Small. I thought I was between a Small and a Medium, but I emailed my measurements to them, and they told me a Small will fit fine. It flattens my chest nicely, and feels very comfortable. But...I didn't know how to wear it properly the first time and got all sorts of pains. Back aches and shoulder pains. And takes a little time to adjust. I can breathe easily out of this (but breathing is indeed different, not in a bad way).

If you're into cosplaying or cross-dressing, definitely get an actual chest binder. It will be worth it.

I guess I should just buy one and give it a try. If it megafails then at least I know I've tried. Have to lose a little weight first -_-

pawprint prettysure

I've heard many trans guys saying that binding will eventually ruin your boobs. So, if you really fancy them, you probably shouldn't be binding much.

I guess if you're cosplaying and/or cross-dressing every now and then, it won't matter, but... just something to think about :)

For FtM transitioning, it doesn't really matter if it ruins our boobs or not, since they will be taken care of at some point anyway.

I've heard many trans guys saying that binding will eventually ruin your boobs. So, if you really fancy them, you probably shouldn't be binding much.

I guess if you're cosplaying and/or cross-dressing every now and then, it won't matter, but... just something to think about :)

For FtM transitioning, it doesn't really matter if it ruins our boobs or not, since they will be taken care of at some point anyway.

Not to mention gravity will ruin them anyway. :lol:

I've heared some say that not binding leaves the skin more flexible and thus better suited for top surgery. But that might be just talk and a little difference is skin texture isn't going to keep FtM's from binding anyway.

asexual cake

Has anyone tried the tri-top binder from Underworks? I'm thinking of buying my first proper binder soon, but I want one that extends the length of my torso (I have an inexplicable but intense aversion to thinks that don't cover all of a certain part of me - this is why I cannot wear sports bras, because the single band of elastic drives me out of my mind). In the picture they have next to the product, the binder only goes to the model's navel, but that's on an adult man, and I'm a petite biofem, so I can't tell how far it would go on me.

Elliott Ford

Has anyone tried the tri-top binder from Underworks? I'm thinking of buying my first proper binder soon, but I want one that extends the length of my torso (I have an inexplicable but intense aversion to thinks that don't cover all of a certain part of me - this is why I cannot wear sports bras, because the single band of elastic drives me out of my mind). In the picture they have next to the product, the binder only goes to the model's navel, but that's on an adult man, and I'm a petite biofem, so I can't tell how far it would go on me.

That's where it goes to when you first get it. Mine now goes further cos it's stretched. They do other binders that are full length but I didn't want one that also compressed my stomach.

That's where it goes to when you first get it. Mine now goes further cos it's stretched. They do other binders that are full length but I didn't want one that also compressed my stomach.

I was thinking of a tri-top but finally I chose a binder from Danae as the latter looks sturdier and less noticeable under clothes. I'm expecting it to arrive any time soon so I'll give some feedback on how it feels.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously it depends on your chest size and how long your torso is, but for me, the tri-top binder did not cover all of my torso. If you want one that does that, I'd recommend the double-front, which extended down past my waist (and I could always roll it up if it got too long). The tri-top extended to around my belly button, just like in the picture. I forget what size it was - medium? But I was a 36G, I'm around 5'5", like I said it could be longer on you.

That being said, out of those two binders (I used both for significant amounts of time), I definitely preferred the tri-top. Obviously I could not physically get actual flatness on my chest, but the tri-top came a whole lot closer than the double-front.

Good luck!

Lord Dandylion

But I was a 36G

This is the worst horror story anyone could ever tell. Ever.

x_____x

Somehow Ds don't seem as bad anymore. Granted, mine apparently look smaller than that anyway, so I guess that's... good?

Gho St Ory Qwan

A warning about binding wrong (ace bandages, back braces, things not designed for it) or too long (too long being over years), apparently these are all risks (from a trans forum, the person posting it had first-hand accounts from transguys) :

• bruising and fracturing of ribs
  • pulmonary (lung ) problems
  • small vessel damge and tissue injury
  • back issues
  • low blood flow to the heart resulting in a mild heart attack
  • decreased lung compacity (lungs only functioning to 30 and 40 %)
  • binding, according to one doctor tends to throw clots out and in turn can be yet another (in addition to that low blood flow) cause of heart attacks
  • Costochondritis -an Inflamation of the ribs. The person who developed this condition also stated that after 6 years of binding his chest is completly deformed (the ribs are compressed into his lungs) and his doctor has great fear from the pockets of muscles that have shifted. (he only used underworks binders)
  • cut of the blood flow through the lymph-nodes in the breast area. This could cause clots, damage to your circulation and lead to lymphatic cancer due to the bacteria build up and clogging of the lymph-nodes. There have been reports about clots, blood clots and lack or circulation causing numbness and permanent loss of sensation in the breast/chest area

Definitely be careful with this.

The points I've bolded, in my mind, can be attributed to binding too tightly over a long period of time. While it may be pressing to make one's chest appear flat for their psychological well-being, it is easy to overdo it. If you feel any constant sort of pain within a few hours of binding, chances are you've made it too tight.

If the blood flow issues can occur from wearing it correctly then shouldnt they not be worn?! I have a heart murmer and I need to be careful with my heart anyway cus its weird. Is this going to be an issue? I could ask my doctors but I have both 3 and none right now because theyre so incompetent over here. Even while Im having chest problems. ^-^ Which is just peachy but meh <_<

Gho St Ory Qwan

I do know one more every day solution:

Danae sells a strapless binder here: http://www.danae.info/eng/trans-mission/webshop/products/woman-to-man/trans-vormer-top/trans-vormer-107

strapless.png

:wub: those boxer type shorts big time. =] I only can get boys ones with spiderman on though hehe. cant complain though. =]

Lord Dandylion

A warning about binding wrong (ace bandages, back braces, things not designed for it) or too long (too long being over years), apparently these are all risks (from a trans forum, the person posting it had first-hand accounts from transguys) :

• bruising and fracturing of ribs
  • pulmonary (lung ) problems
  • small vessel damge and tissue injury
  • back issues
  • low blood flow to the heart resulting in a mild heart attack
  • decreased lung compacity (lungs only functioning to 30 and 40 %)
  • binding, according to one doctor tends to throw clots out and in turn can be yet another (in addition to that low blood flow) cause of heart attacks
  • Costochondritis -an Inflamation of the ribs. The person who developed this condition also stated that after 6 years of binding his chest is completly deformed (the ribs are compressed into his lungs) and his doctor has great fear from the pockets of muscles that have shifted. (he only used underworks binders)
  • cut of the blood flow through the lymph-nodes in the breast area. This could cause clots, damage to your circulation and lead to lymphatic cancer due to the bacteria build up and clogging of the lymph-nodes. There have been reports about clots, blood clots and lack or circulation causing numbness and permanent loss of sensation in the breast/chest area

Definitely be careful with this.

The points I've bolded, in my mind, can be attributed to binding too tightly over a long period of time. While it may be pressing to make one's chest appear flat for their psychological well-being, it is easy to overdo it. If you feel any constant sort of pain within a few hours of binding, chances are you've made it too tight.

If the blood flow issues can occur from wearing it correctly then shouldnt they not be worn?! I have a heart murmer and I need to be careful with my heart anyway cus its weird. Is this going to be an issue? I could ask my doctors but I have both 3 and none right now because theyre so incompetent over here. Even while Im having chest problems. ^-^ Which is just peachy but meh <_<

Hmmm, I never really thought about that.......... D:

I've had random PVCs since I was 11 that became much more frequent during my last two years in high school. I can't imagine that binding would help.......

this is why I went to the gym today. It's an impossible goal, I know, but I want to get an athletic body and MAYBE I can build up my chest muscles in a way that they'll make my breasts appear smaller (they're bigger now due to gaining 20 pounds, so losing fat will help, too). I'm not trans, and I guess I don't need them, you know.... gone, but some sort of natural improvement would be wonderful. Then, at least if they're smaller, if I do bind, it won't be as bad because it won't be pressing as tightly on my ribcage?

asexual cake

Obviously it depends on your chest size and how long your torso is, but for me, the tri-top binder did not cover all of my torso. If you want one that does that, I'd recommend the double-front, which extended down past my waist (and I could always roll it up if it got too long). The tri-top extended to around my belly button, just like in the picture. I forget what size it was - medium? But I was a 36G, I'm around 5'5", like I said it could be longer on you.

That being said, out of those two binders (I used both for significant amounts of time), I definitely preferred the tri-top. Obviously I could not physically get actual flatness on my chest, but the tri-top came a whole lot closer than the double-front.

Good luck!

I'm about 5'3", a 34A (if that), and I have a short torso anyway, so I think the tri-top would probably go past my belly button. It's (slightly) cheaper than the double-front anyway, so I think I'll go ahead and buy that one. And thanks!

Gho St Ory Qwan

working out might make your chest look a wee bit bigger because the muscles build up underneath and make the chest perk up a bit more which might be noticeable. However if you were to loose weight in the process its possible it comes off of the chest and either evens out or looks smaller. =] I'd ask which exercises would be best for that and get a second opinion just in case though because I notice I get too much conflicting info from gym trainers. lol

I dont need mine gone too but some days i wanna wear my dudes clothes and I want to fit into them a certain way and would love to have a flat chest more. And hate bras so if its more comfortable than a bra (right now its sounding a little like a bra in terms of back problems and chest pain, but at least it doesnt cause indents and bruising) then I really want some in my wardrobe. To wear a vest shirt and nothing else (over it) would be pretty nice.

I dont worry about most problems as I would wear it as much as my corset probably anyway.

Gho St Ory Qwan

I'm ... a 34A (if that)

Lucky. =D

asexual cake

working out might make your chest look a wee bit bigger because the muscles build up underneath and make the chest perk up a bit more which might be noticeable. However if you were to loose weight in the process its possible it comes off of the chest and either evens out or looks smaller. =] I'd ask which exercises would be best for that and get a second opinion just in case though because I notice I get too much conflicting info from gym trainers. lol

Yeah. Different people lose fat primarily in different ways, too - though (I think) the rule is that the last place you gained fat is the first place you lose it, so if you gained weight and a large amount of it went to your breasts, losing weight would probably cause them to decrease again.

I'm ... a 34A (if that)

Lucky. =D

I know it well xD

Lord Dandylion

I'm ... a 34A (if that)

Lucky. =D

Seconded.

I appear to be 34DD again. I was hovering around 32D/34C... Stupid weight gain

But I was a 36G

This is the worst horror story anyone could ever tell. Ever.

x_____x

Somehow Ds don't seem as bad anymore. Granted, mine apparently look smaller than that anyway, so I guess that's... good?

*shrug* I have since gotten top surgery, so it's not so much a problem. :) Large breasts are terrible news on anyone who doesn't want them, regardless of size. I hope you figure something out.

Good luck!

I'm about 5'3", a 34A (if that), and I have a short torso anyway, so I think the tri-top would probably go past my belly button. It's (slightly) cheaper than the double-front anyway, so I think I'll go ahead and buy that one. And thanks!

Hm, I mean obviously I wouldn't know by experience, but it sounds like it'd be a lot longer on you. Good luck! I hope it works out!

Gho St Ory Qwan

I'm ... a 34A (if that)

Lucky. =D

Seconded.

I appear to be 34DD again. I was hovering around 32D/34C... Stupid weight gain

Most unfortunate.

I'm not that big in cup volume. But I wear 30DD/28DD/E and I have stopping fitting into my bras this past week. It's getting annoying seeing the boob spillage. I doubt its a full cup size difference but even if it is they don't make bras very well. I should be a 26E/F (god forbid this increase be permanent lest that size be wrong) but apparently being that thin means you should be completely flat chested so they don't so bras for that size. >.< (If you see a 26 something its Australian). I wouldn't mind being completely flat chested right now. It's hard to sleep and I dont like moving my arms forward and feeling them. >.<

I haven't gained weight so they just look slightly bigger and the rest of me normal. =/

What's really weird is... when I lie back it looks like a boobs job. I think thats youth. Lets just go with that. Most strange...

Can't wait till I get some binding stuff. hehe So many outfits I wanna try out with a flat chest! XD

RandomDent

So I just tried a basic bind with a bandage and a nice t-shirt and it didn't look too bad! I guess it helps when your sandbags are headed south for the Winter XD

Gho St Ory Qwan

I guess it helps when your sandbags are headed south for the Winter XD

What do you mean by that? =/

Archived