All About Binders

Sammie

Since we have a large number of threads that started with a question about binders, and a lot of threads in which people talk about binders for some other reason, I thought it might be useful to make a group thread for thoughts and questions about binders.

I'll start the thread with some useful links:

Hudson's FTM Resouce Guide has a section about binders that pretty much sums up most frequently asked questions about binders.

They have a similar section about packing, and a lot of general advice on appearing male.

Binder reviews can be found at The Chest Binder Review Blog

The popular Underworks binders can be found here.

Underworks also has their own FTM twitter.

A good one for those in Europe is Danae

They're a Dutch company run by an FtM and his sister. Their binders are much like Underworks binders. The best thing is they also make tailored binders to size.

For those in desperate need of a binder but unable to buy one, there is the Big Brothers Use Binder Program.

Ok, get posting. :)

I just wanted to add a link here to T-Kingdom. ;)

I've tried a few of their products and my personal favorite is model 801, the one that zips up the front. I wear it every day and am about to purchase a second one; I'm a C cup and it works wonderfully.

A warning about binding wrong (ace bandages, back braces, things not designed for it) or too long (too long being over years), apparently these are all risks (from a trans forum, the person posting it had first-hand accounts from transguys) :

• bruising and fracturing of ribs
  • pulmonary (lung ) problems
  • small vessel damge and tissue injury
  • back issues
  • low blood flow to the heart resulting in a mild heart attack
  • decreased lung compacity (lungs only functioning to 30 and 40 %)
  • binding, according to one doctor tends to throw clots out and in turn can be yet another (in addition to that low blood flow) cause of heart attacks
  • Costochondritis -an Inflamation of the ribs. The person who developed this condition also stated that after 6 years of binding his chest is completly deformed (the ribs are compressed into his lungs) and his doctor has great fear from the pockets of muscles that have shifted. (he only used underworks binders)
  • cut of the blood flow through the lymph-nodes in the breast area. This could cause clots, damage to your circulation and lead to lymphatic cancer due to the bacteria build up and clogging of the lymph-nodes. There have been reports about clots, blood clots and lack or circulation causing numbness and permanent loss of sensation in the breast/chest area

Definitely be careful with this.

I've got a question for this topic: has anyone ever been to a doctor about binder-caused pain?

I spend months saving for a binder (Tri-top from Underworks) and when I had the money I made sure to get the size a bit too large to be on the safe side. So I've defenitely got a big enough size. But STILL my binder causes back pain. It's not that bad, it's defenitely bareable, but it worries me. What if I damage my body? I'm thinking of visiting my doctor about this but I am worried he will just tell me to stop binding. I can't stop binding. I need this. I'm already minimising my binder-time to times when I'm in public even though it makes me feel rotten to walk around my house without a binder.

Has anyone spoken to a doctor before to find out if a bit of back pain is something to worry about? Have you managed to convince your doctor how important it is for your happiness to bind? what did (s)he say?

Messages like PhantonGrimalkin are important and I appreciate the fact that someone posted it, but to be honest: it is also making me scared and miserable. How does a person choose between health and happiness?

Anyone else struggling with this?

It'd easier if you can find a doctor who accepts transgenderism, but that's not a guarantee. If you're in college, they tend to be accepting, but I can't remember if you are or not.

If it turns out that the binding is doing or will do serious damage- I think even an accepting person, even some transpeople, will advise you to stop wearing it. And there might be no other solution.

I've got a question for this topic: has anyone ever been to a doctor about binder-caused pain?

I spend months saving for a binder (Tri-top from Underworks) and when I had the money I made sure to get the size a bit too large to be on the safe side. So I've defenitely got a big enough size. But STILL my binder causes back pain. It's not that bad, it's defenitely bareable, but it worries me. What if I damage my body? I'm thinking of visiting my doctor about this but I am worried he will just tell me to stop binding. I can't stop binding. I need this. I'm already minimising my binder-time to times when I'm in public even though it makes me feel rotten to walk around my house without a binder.

Has anyone spoken to a doctor before to find out if a bit of back pain is something to worry about? Have you managed to convince your doctor how important it is for your happiness to bind? what did (s)he say?

Messages like PhantonGrimalkin are important and I appreciate the fact that someone posted it, but to be honest: it is also making me scared and miserable. How does a person choose between health and happiness?

Anyone else struggling with this?

Did you have any type of back pain before you started wearing a binder full time?

You might want to reexamine your sleeping habits and anything else you thing that could be adding to the pain. I think that it may (I don't know I don't bind full time) help reduce the pain and that maybe wearing the binder was the tipping point on the scale.

I would definitely recommend talking to a trans positive doctor if you can find one. I think you mentioned in a previous post of yours that you were meeting with a trans support group. Maybe they would have some helpful ideas or know some doctors.

I know that there's also top surgery but I have no idea what your situation is like at the moment, other than the fact that your binders are hurting you.

• 1 month later...

Wow this thread's been dead for a while. <clears off the dust>

I've tried a few of their products and my personal favorite is model 801, the one that zips up the front. I wear it every day and am about to purchase a second one; I'm a C cup and it works wonderfully.

I've been looking at T-Kingdom a bit and I quite like the product you've recommended. The only thing is do you know how much shipping wound cost? I've looked all over the site and can't find any mention of it, though maybe I just missed it.

I've been looking at T-Kingdom a bit and I quite like the product you've recommended. The only thing is do you know how much shipping wound cost? I've looked all over the site and can't find any mention of it, though maybe I just missed it.

http://www.t-kingdom.com/shopping/english/faq.htm

Cost shipping according to price ranges product

€4 EUR for prices of €0.01 EUR ~ €15 EUR

€4.69 EUR for prices of €15.01 EUR ~ €37.04 EUR

€7.04 EUR for prices of €37.05 EUR ~ €85.37EUR

€9.38 EUR for prices of €85.38 EUR ~ €136.80EUR

€11.72 EUR for prices of €136.81 EUR ~ UP

http://www.t-kingdom.com/shopping/english/faq.htm

Cost shipping according to price ranges product

€4 EUR for prices of €0.01 EUR ~ €15 EUR

€4.69 EUR for prices of €15.01 EUR ~ €37.04 EUR

€7.04 EUR for prices of €37.05 EUR ~ €85.37EUR

€9.38 EUR for prices of €85.38 EUR ~ €136.80EUR

€11.72 EUR for prices of €136.81 EUR ~ UP

Ah thank you. I missed that. They quote prices in euros and it just goes over my head.

Moondragon007

Do y'all sleep in those binders????? I'm cis-gender, so I don't use anything like that. This may be a stupid question, but can't you take them off at night? And wouldn't that reduce the health risk?

Do y'all sleep in those binders????? I'm cis-gender, so I don't use anything like that. This may be a stupid question, but can't you take them off at night? And wouldn't that reduce the health risk?

No, sensible guys don't sleep in their binders. Like how sensible women don't sleep wearing a bra.

There is a health risk from wearing binders, yes, but it's not huge. As long as a guy takes his binder off at night to allow his chest time to breathe and he gets himself checked out if he has chest pains, he should be okay.

I got myself checked out. My ribs, lungs etc are fine other than I have bronchitis which is causing the chest pains. My binding isn't hurting me.

I agree with Elliott.

I don't wear a binder, but I've developed my own method to sorta 'tape them back' - difficult to describe and lots of reasons...

I think that for people who want to bind (for whatever reason) and have larg-ish breasts binders can help a lot. I've seen some impressive pictures and personally, I wouldn't have thought that extent of 'diminishing' possible.

Like how sensible women don't sleep wearing a bra.

I know a few girls who sleep in bras at sleepovers or other people's houses. Is it really a health risk? I just think it would be really uncomfortable. :blink:

I know a few girls who sleep in bras at sleepovers or other people's houses. Is it really a health risk? I just think it would be really uncomfortable. :blink:

Once in a while won't kill you :lol: In these cases it will have something to do that they are not at home and may feel more comfortable leaving it on. These girls probably don't wear a bra every single night and not in their own beds, I guess?

I dunno, I keep mine on fairly often. But more cause I don't want to have NOTHING on (still live with parents and I'm a tad paranoid), and my bras with the exception of a strapless one I had to get one don't have wires. Yay C chest. So it's more like a really short tank top cut from an odd pattern lol. And if I feel a bit warm and don't want to wear a t-shirt then I go with that option. Then again, I sometimes don't wear a bra at all for days and sometimes sleep on my front.

But I don't think I'm exactly the standard for female behaviour lol.

Moondragon007

Mildly uncomfortable, but not any worse than sleeping in the rest of your clothes. The real reason to avoid sleeping in a bra is to avoid stretching it out too much. And so you don't sweat in it and make it stinky, especially if you have to wear it the next day.

Fish That Swims

Do any cis females like to use binders just because they like the look? (For example, that 20's flapper body)

Do any cis females like to use binders just because they like the look? (For example, that 20's flapper body)

I haven't done so, but I'd like to. See how it plays out and what it's like etc etc.

If you're not truly uncomfortable by having breasts and you don't wanna wear a binder just once for a dress up, I would NOT recommend it. As the warning at the beginning of this thread said: it can be very bad for your ribs and lungs. Why risk your health if you haven't got a problem?

• 3 weeks later...
Moondragon007

If they're that bad, shouldn't somebody be looking for a better solution?

I won't be insensitive and say "don't wear them." <_<

I'd say: don't wear them unless you have to. Make a judgement about whether being flatchested is so important to you that not binding is also damaging your quality of life. If you can't live happily without a binder, bind.

That said, there are many ways to bind, with varying results in appearance, comfort, and dangers.

I would say professional binders like Underworks are probably okay if you follow the instructions (I know some FtM's wear 2 binders over eachother, DON'T!), use the right size and take it off the moment it hurts or gives you any trouble breathing.

A not really related thing: I recently took a new tritop out of its packaging and I'm surprised by how different it is from my first tritop. It is the same model, but it is uncomfortable in different places and more comfortable in others. My first tritop put pressure on my lower ribs at the back, but this binder is most uncomfortable in the higher chest area at the front.

So, aparently Underworks binders can differ somewhat, even if you get the same model.

This might be a good thing, as I can alternate my two binders to limit discomfort.

Binder question: Underworks has two shirts - the Concealer FTM Chest Binder and the Cotton Concealer Compression V-neck Binder T-shirt - with the description:

"They see a perfectly fitted soft to the skin regular cotton spandex knit t-shirt, but on the inside are powerful layers of nylon spandex knit binding your chest. Wear it as an undershirt or by itself anywhere and everywhere and only you know the magic the shirt is providing you."

So it sounds like these can be worn without any other shirt over it. Seems perfect for summer!

But.. has anyone here tried it? Does it really look like a regular shirt? Do you wear it without anything else or do you still add a regular t-shirt to be sure?

Also, the sizes are different from the regular binders. I usually get 31-33. If I get this one, should I go for 28-31 or 32-35?

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up for guys with really small boobs (B cup or smaller)... Layering fairly tight tank tops works okay as I figured out today. I don't think it will last all day or anything since tight clothes have a way of getting looser towards the end of the day but in a pinch it doesn't look bad for now. I'll update my findings at the end of the day to see if it still looks good.

bewbsbegone.jpg

3 tight tank tops under the tee and I am a 32B. By the end of the day they started being a little more noticeable but they still looked fairly like pecs.

Condemned Valour

A warning about binding wrong (ace bandages, back braces, things not designed for it) or too long (too long being over years), apparently these are all risks (from a trans forum, the person posting it had first-hand accounts from transguys) :

• bruising and fracturing of ribs
  • pulmonary (lung ) problems
  • small vessel damge and tissue injury
  • back issues
  • low blood flow to the heart resulting in a mild heart attack
  • decreased lung compacity (lungs only functioning to 30 and 40 %)
  • binding, according to one doctor tends to throw clots out and in turn can be yet another (in addition to that low blood flow) cause of heart attacks
  • Costochondritis -an Inflamation of the ribs. The person who developed this condition also stated that after 6 years of binding his chest is completly deformed (the ribs are compressed into his lungs) and his doctor has great fear from the pockets of muscles that have shifted. (he only used underworks binders)
  • cut of the blood flow through the lymph-nodes in the breast area. This could cause clots, damage to your circulation and lead to lymphatic cancer due to the bacteria build up and clogging of the lymph-nodes. There have been reports about clots, blood clots and lack or circulation causing numbness and permanent loss of sensation in the breast/chest area

Definitely be careful with this.

The points I've bolded, in my mind, can be attributed to binding too tightly over a long period of time. While it may be pressing to make one's chest appear flat for their psychological well-being, it is easy to overdo it. If you feel any constant sort of pain within a few hours of binding, chances are you've made it too tight.

When binding, especially if using something like bandages, make sure to take a moderate-to-deep breath; this gives your ribcage room to expand to allow for normal breathing. It should reduce rib-related problems, and prevent drastic damage to your lungs (because the compression of the rib cage is undoubtedly the cause of the pulmonary problems). Furthermore, it doesn't greatly reduce the visual effectiveness of binding. You'll still have that much flatter look, only with less medical problems to go with.

Thoughts about binder sizes:

My measurements are 29-31

My Tri-top binder is 31-33 and fits quite well. It defenitely shouldn't get any smaller.

The binder I want to buy has sizes xs:28-31 or s:32-35

Which do I get? Why isn't there a size in between? <_<

KayleeSaeihr

How much are they? Can you get both?

How much are they? Can you get both?

$30. I have saved for 2 new binders so I could technically get both, but I would obviously prefer getting 2 binders that I know will fit.

KayleeSaeihr

Well both might fit... You could have a tighter one and a looser one?

Archived