Flag Poll

------

Flag  

1. 1. Which Flag would you like to represent asexuality?

• Flag A
    • Flag B
    • Flag C
    • Flag D
    • Flag E
    • Flag F
    • None of the above (add suggestions)

I think it's fair to say we all would like a flag that represents us asexuals altogether, grey-As and demis included. Since we had the flag discussion in the Asexual Q&A section I was wondering why don't we make one of them the actual flag? Obviously it's a joint decision so here's the vote (I picked the ones that most people in the thread said they liked - minus the pirate and cake ones because as fun as they are it's serious and includes the older asexuals who don't want this to turn into a playground).

I know it's not an emergancy but for those who go to Prides it would be nice for them to wave their own flags now. The sooner we start the sooner it gets recognised.

First of all we'll quickly cover why the AVEN triangle isn't in the vote:

Also, when adding symbology, you need to remember what the flag is representing. It doesn't represent just AVEN members. The idea is to make something for all Asexuals. So I think the AVEN triangle doesn't fit.//I haven't seen the gradient triangle in use outside of AVEN. And AVEN is a great organization, but we can't just lay claim to the entire practice of asexuality. If the gradient triangle is used by other groups, and isn't specific to AVEN, then I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

-Soxfan (our local vexillologist).

The flags:

Flag A

opt2.png

Flag B

spade2.png

Flag C

aceflag.jpg

Flag D

avenspadeinside.png

Flag E

ri6uwz.jpg

Flag F

2w6e1qx.jpg

I wasn't sure of the best place to put this poll so mods move this around as you see fit. ^_^

Happy voting.

Ooo I like these :) I can't decide. Why the circles on A & B though? I think a capital A instead would look nicer.

The circles have an association with gender for me (the majority of gender symbols have a circle with something sticking out of it, I thinks ome people wanted to make a plain circle signify neutrois/genderless/agender, although we probably won't), so I don't like those. I voted D.

Aside from the circle I like C, though, I definitely think we should do something with the "Ace". :) And I support Jilli's idea of a capital 'A'. Maybe C with an 'A' instead of an 'o'?

I still like the last two (purple enthusiast here). The black ace ring with the upside down spade in the heart shape for romantics and aromantics, not separately like some of the flags, but united... and I like purple lol. After that, I suppose B because it's colourful.

I've also just noticed that you said the AVEN triangle wasn't up for discussion, yet one of the flags includes the Aven triangle.

The circles have an association with gender for me (the majority of gender symbols have a circle with something sticking out of it, I thinks ome people wanted to make a plain circle signify neutrois/genderless/agender, although we probably won't), so I don't like those. I voted D.

Aside from the circle I like C, though, I definitely think we should do something with the "Ace". :) And I support Jilli's idea of a capital 'A'. Maybe C with an 'A' instead of an 'o'?

That could end up looking a little too much like the anarchy flag though...

Considering other sexuality flags are horizontal stripes (the rainbow colours, the pink-purple-blue, the transgender ones...), why not use white-grey-black stripes (I'd use the dimensions of the bi flag)? it would also represent the whole shades-of-grey thing of greys/demis, and all that. I like the aven triangle as a symbol because it reflects the gay pride triangles, but I agree it shouldn't be on a flag (even with the spade/ace thing with it).

EDIT: B looks pretty, but I don't like it as a symbol...

Ooo I like these :) I can't decide. Why the circles on A & B though? I think a capital A instead would look nicer.

The black ring was taken from the wearing of the black rings. ^_^

I still like the last two (purple enthusiast here). The black ace ring with the upside down spade in the heart shape for romantics and aromantics, not separately like some of the flags, but united... and I like purple lol. After that, I suppose B because it's colourful.

We'll make it a suggestion for the next poll.

I've also just noticed that you said the AVEN triangle wasn't up for discussion, yet one of the flags includes the Aven triangle.

Shh... Nobody was supposed to notice. I just picked the one people said they liked the most.

I can't see all of the flags. :(

*cuddles*

Is there something wrong with your computer? Are you on your work one? o.O

aceflag01.gif

Eh, decided to sketch this up...

Nice! :) We'll add it to the discussion after this poll. It might just be me but it's too dull because the gay pride flag makes you think: 'happy!'. Asexy flag: 'depression... :('

I'm going to keep this poll open until the 26th of December then we can discuss the flags left and any suggestions people have made and any people who have any more designs can put them forward. If there's a flag you sort of like but want edited slightly please feel free to say. So that'll be the discussion, AVEN dies for a little on the 29th, and then perhaps I'll make the second poll with the flags that come out of that discussion on the 3rd of Janurary or later depending on how the discussion is going.

I voted none of the above. I find them all to be a bit (or a lot) depressing, too much black/gray. Even the ones with some purple don't really seem very cheery. I also don't care for the big fat zero on some of them. The spades make me thing of cards and gambling, not asexuality.

I don't really have any good alternatives to suggest. I hate to be so negative without any alternatives to offer.

Kelly, if you see a little red x in place of some pics you might have to right-click and select "Show Picture". I had to do that with some.

aceflag01.gif

Nice! :) We'll add it to the discussion after this poll. It might just be me but it's too dull because the gay pride flag makes you think: 'happy!'. Asexy flag: 'depression... :('

Eh, you chose the colour scheme. I just thought it might be fitting to resemble the other flags. Also, purple is over done for other flags. The other advantage of the horizontal stripes is its damn easy to make. They're all simple, for good reason.

aceflag02.gif ??

But purple screams "sexual" to me.

You still have to keep in mind that we're talking about a flag. It's hard to put a gradient grey triangle on a flag. It's purpose it to be recognised. I'm trying to think of something which'll be understood by people not on this forum; the spade and the black ring don't do that for me, I wouldn't want to spend all of mardi gras explaining arbitrary symbolism on my flag. Spades mean plenty of things; an ace isn't one of them.

aceflag01.gif

Eh, you chose the colour scheme. I just thought it might be fitting to resemble the other flags. Also, purple is over done for other flags. The other advantage of the horizontal stripes is its damn easy to make. They're all simple, for good reason.

aceflag02.gif ??

I really like that purple gradient one. It's simple, clear, and not depressing.

I thought red was supposed to be the most sexual color?

aceflag02.gif ??

I really like that purple gradient one. It's simple, clear, and not depressing.

I thought red was supposed to be the most sexual color?

*shrug* wikipedia lists the common meanings of purple as including mardi gras and homosexuality.

aceflag02.gif ??

Ooh, I like that one.

They did have a purple rhino as a gay mascot once but it failed. I guess it depends on how popular the purple = homosexuality concept is. If it isn't too big then we still have a chance to steal it.

Of course purple also means royalty. :)

Daveb~ That's perfectly all right. It wasn't negative but more constructive. Since there are people who like none more flag choices are necessary.

aceflag02.gif ??

Ooh, I like that one.

They did have a purple rhino as a gay mascot once but it failed. I guess it depends on how popular the purple = homosexuality concept is. If it isn't too big then we still have a chance to steal it.

Of course purple also means royalty. :)

Daveb~ That's perfectly all right. It wasn't negative but more constructive. Since there are people who like none more flag choices are necessary.

Given that the LGBT movement uses an entire rainbow, we're going to have to borrow at least one color from them!

Maybe we don't need a flag. Maybe we need a delicious purple cake.

It's biased to present one of the flags as A. By the way, this is my favorite among those, since it's black and white, simple, and I like the zero.

I'm not really sure how popular it is- Tinky Winky got in trouble for being purple, having an upside down triangle on his head, carrying a purse and wearing a tutu. So if purple is added to other gay symbols, it's very likely ot be seen as gay, so if we want to use purple we better not use the AVEN triangle. But I don't know many people who see purple and think "gay" in other contexts. Loads of people do it with rainbows, though. <_<

It might just be me but it's too dull because the gay pride flag makes you think: 'happy!'. Asexy flag: 'depression... :('

I don't think depression is quite right, but grey and white are definitely appropriate colours. Asexuality is defined by the absence of something. Neutral grey or white fits the bill.

May I suggest a grey or white field with some sort of border. If people think neutral greyscale is depressing, the border could be colourful (colours based on other sexual identities) - for an asexual, sex is peripheral.

How about grey, purple and a black ring?

Sorry about how shoddy they look, I just did them not two minuets ago on Paint.

RIingFlag2.jpg

RingFlag.jpg

Or we can go totally crazy

TriangleFlag.jpg

(I am not sure about you, but the last one reminds me of the wild berry poptarts they use to make.)

How about grey, purple and a black ring?

personally I think the grey is even more depressing next to the purple. The black n white looks cleaner.

It's biased to present one of the flags as A. By the way, this is my favorite among those, since it's black and white, simple, and I like the zero.

You can't have an alphabete list without 'A'. This is madness!

I don't think depression is quite right, but grey and white are definitely appropriate colours. Asexuality is defined by the absence of something. Neutral grey or white fits the bill.

May I suggest a grey or white field with some sort of border. If people think neutral greyscale is depressing, the border could be colourful (colours based on other sexual identities) - for an asexual, sex is peripheral.

Rephrase: dismal. Grey is rather dull though, I agree, white needs to be included, the problem is that grey-A need to be included and so grey is the right colour to add in. I suppose it's a matter of finding the correct balance.

TriangleFlag.jpg

:blink: Wow.

Sorry about how shoddy they look, I just did them not two minuets ago on Paint.

I see your two minutes and give you ten seconds. :lol:

BLAH.jpg

aceflag01.gif

You totally went inside my head :o I had the same exact design for a bi-asexual flag. I think the only difference was there was a heart on it.

TriangleFlag.jpg

Um yeah, I just like staring at that and it makes me hungry. :rolleyes:

TriangleFlag.jpg

Um yeah, I just like staring at that and it makes me hungry. :rolleyes:

What the heck do you eat? :blink:

Frosting!

On a side note, the blue is really sweet and the purple adds some warmth as well as being sweet. Very intriguing to look at and taste!

Frosting!

On a side note, the blue is really sweet and the purple adds some warmth as well as being sweet. Very intriguing to look at and taste!

Yes, but not very flaggish. You don't tend to have different shades of one colour on a flag, which is why I don't really like the purple one I posted. What meanings do you see behind the pictures in your flags? Could you explain them for us?

The last one was just a joke, it has no significance what so ever. As for the other two flags they are variations of each other. If I may go in to colour theory a little bit, if you darken all colours they will eventually become black. Grey is a tint of black and is neutral, it is a fitting colour for a lack of attraction as well as grey As. Black rings denote asexuality in general and though this is just an opinion I find black to be fitting for aromantics. Purple has red in it and red is thought of as romantic and passionate colour, so most colours with a blue shade of red will bring to mind romance. The flags have grey As, romantics and aromantics represented.

On creative matters I tend to be the person who can tell people what I don't like, but struggle to describe what I would like (voted none of the above).

Casually I think the ace/spade usage among ourselves is fine, but I'm not sure a lot of people are going to immediately connect it with asexuality.

*sigh*

Though on matters such as this any symbol I think tends to immediately come across as arbitrary, but if used enough tends to become recognized and accepted.

Archived