Demiromantic?

Shenhua

Is there such a thing as being "demiromantic"? What does/would that mean, exactly?

Thank you. :)

~Shenhua

Is there such a thing as being "demiromantic"? What does/would that mean, exactly?

Thank you. :)

~Shenhua

Well...if sexual is feeling sexual attraction, asexual is not feeling sexual attraction, and demisexual is feeling sexual attraction with whom you have close bond, then I suppose it's all equivalent on the romantic side.

It might mean you don't feel a need to pursue romance, unless you actually have someone specific you meet. (which is pretty much what I'm like)

Though that term is not one I've ever seen anywhere.

Hmm that's an interesting thought.

Well this is what I think. A romantic person isn't romantic with everyone he/she knows, so I don't think there is a demiromantic person. Being romantic is already kind of selective.

I've heard other people here use that term before. I think that if demisexual makes sense, then demiromantic would as well. It would mean you only get romantic feelings to people you're already close to.

I've heard other people here use that term before. I think that if demisexual makes sense, then demiromantic would as well. It would mean you only get romantic feelings to people you're already close to.

Ooohh that makes sense. Ignore what I said before then haha

Hmm that's an interesting thought.

Well this is what I think. A romantic person isn't romantic with everyone he/she knows, so I don't think there is a demiromantic person. Being romantic is already kind of selective.

True, but a sexual person isn't sexual with everyone of the gender they like. Being sexual is selective, but there is still "demisexual," so wouldn't it follow that there is also "demiromantic"?

I think the idea makes sense, and I think we've had posters in the past identifying as demiromantic or asking about demiromanticsm. If romantic orientation falls along the same types of continuua as sexual orientation seems to, it would make sense for some people to identify as demiromantic--and for people to fall in the same "grey-romantic" type of range as grey-asexuals experience.

That's certainly the way I've always thought about it when using demiromantic to describe myself. Like I would need to get to know someone really well before I would start thinking about them romantically and developing feelings for them. I guess for me personally in recent times I've just kind of accepted that people who are romantically driven don't just get random romantic feelings with random people, they still need to at least get to know someone, otherwise there would be a heck of a lot of people walking around with their heads in the clouds. Unless there are and I have my head in the sand.

Sounds like...

Demisexual - Only willing to have a romantic and eventually sexual relationship once you have found "The one".

Demiromantic - Sort of aromantic until they find the right one and doesn't mind being romantic with the person, but no thoughts of sex at all entering.

Sounds like...

Demisexual - Only willing to have a romantic and eventually sexual relationship once you have found "The one".

Demiromantic - Sort of aromantic until they find the right one and doesn't mind being romantic with the person, but no thoughts of sex at all entering.

I agree with that one, well for me at least. I did initially consider myself aromantic when I first found AVEN, with no real desire for relationship and no interest in one, but then I just thought things out and realised there where a few girls I had met where if I had the opportunity I would have had a relationship with, but I'd have to get to know them really well on almost on a spiritual level before I felt any kind of spark.

These day's I still see it as when you meet the right person (whether your demiromantic or romantically inclined) there will be a click, a spark and a you'll know when you meet someone that does that to you. Its just that not every girl I meet, does that to the extent of making me want to date them, but i chalk that one up to compatibility and being on the same or different wavelengths.

If it is possible to be "demiromantic", I am one.

Hell, even if it isn't, I'm one anyway. :P

I completely agree. :D

I was thinking about this a while ago. In my mind, I like the idea of a person to love and to love me back, but in reality I just don't have romantic feelings towards anyone. I'd certainly never feel it towards a random person. I wondered if I'm really aromantic and just kidding myself, mentally screwed or else I might be something like demi-romantic in which case she might come along one day.

demiromantic works. However it does require an additional prefix: such as "pandemiromanitc" or "pan demiromanitc"

See you guys sound like me I don't really crave or want a relationship and I'm happy being single and on my own, etc, but I do want to settle down and spend the rest of my days with someone, but if that doesn't happen its no big deal and I'm certainly not going to get all emotional about how my life didn't turn out the way I wanted it to etc.

Sometimes I get like a yearning and real desire to have a significant other in my life, to share days with and even to do trivial things together but usually I snap out of those in a few days.

Demiromantic >>> Aromantic till proven otherwise :D

I think i'm 'demiromantic'. I don't generally have a desire for romance most of the the time - it's just completely dependant on who I meet. I find the whole term 'romantic' a bit hard to get my head around, but I think that's partly cos I picture of a wooer wearing tux, laden with roses in my head.

Archived