Asexuality in sex ed curriculum!?

Fermatprime

In my experience all Christian systems seem to be hard-wired against homosexuals...interesting...

Awesome that asexuality is going into the curriculum!

Not necessarily - it seems popular in the US right now, but we have one or two openly gay priests in the church of england. Unfortunately there are a minority in the church who conform with your statement - I'm hoping they're drowned out by everyone else. The Archbishop of Canterbury is happy with the gay people, it seems (being the chairperson of the religion, as it were.) And I'm the CofE is notoriously conservative and middle class -betcha there are loads of bits that are fine with everyone being themselves.
Some stupid girl asked if asexuals were people that liked to have sex with trees :roll:
:D I'm going to quote that somewhere. That's pure gold! And plain embarrassing. Ouch. :D
  • 2 months later...
So we were doing this sex ed curriculum thing at my church, right? And they mentioned that "All humans are sexual" (which is pretty much wrong however you define 'sexual') and that "it's natural to be attracted to the opposite gender, the same gender, or both." So I ask about being attracted to people of neither gender, and the teacher did some research and found...AVEN! So now she says she's planning to contack the curriculum writers about that omission. :D One step closer to world domination - um, I mean acceptance... :)

Now maybe if I can get asexuality into school sex ed curricula...somehow....

Way to go! :)

• 2 months later...
Some stupid girl asked if asexuals were people that liked to have sex with trees :roll:

Another thing to add to the sex ed curriculum: tolerance/education

Because in my school, we learn everything in health class. Sex ed, drugs/alcohol, drivers ed, nutrition...

...and asexuality!

That would be so cool if my school did that... But, we don't talk about hetero- or homosexuality either, so it's really not that appropriate... :?

SpirallingSnowy

Church has always been disgusted with homosexuality and they ALWAYS drag it back to " the bible says its bad" and all that rubbish. Im a cynic. this is the exact same reason that they dont allow same sex marriages, its all backwards ad crap. I assume that they assume that asexual people are just celibates in denial.... it wouldnt suprise me in the slightest.....

bard of aven

Not my church. :lol:

We do same-sex union ceremonies. We do reality-based sex ed in a year-long case in 8th grade religious education. I've spoken to these RE classes about asexuality, and done three workshops for adult members. We are a diverse and welcoming community without regard to sexual or gender orientation or identification.

boa

Woah... my post wasn't purple... :shock:

Church has always been disgusted with homosexuality and they ALWAYS drag it back to " the bible says its bad" and all that rubbish. Im a cynic. this is the exact same reason that they dont allow same sex marriages, its all backwards ad crap. I assume that they assume that asexual people are just celibates in denial.... it wouldnt suprise me in the slightest.....

That's still strange, because the only part of the Bible that says homosexuality is a sin (Leviticus 18 and 20) has been... deleted?... from the Bible (actually, it's really saying gay sex is bad, but... *shrug*). Apparently it doesn't apply anymore.

The other times it's mentioned, it involves rape and prostitution. I forget the book/chapter thing offhand... :oops:

I picked up a newer copy of a Bible earlier today while cleaning my Hebrew School storage room, and Leviticus wasn't in there at all :shock:

Not to drag this further off topic, but...

The other times it's mentioned, it involves rape and prostitution. I forget the book/chapter thing offhand... :oops:

The mention in Leviticus is quite streightforward, but it is my understand that Leviticus is man's law for God's people. There is more mentions than that in many of the new bibles, such as 1 Corinthians 6:9, and I want to say something in Matthew in the NIV. Most older or literal translation I have read use the word "sodomy" in those locations. Looking at the story of sodom, it is arguable whether or not biblical "sodomy" is actually gay sex.

Leviticus is still in the Bible that I use. I have heard some preachers and teachers of the Word say that the prohibition in Leviticus is against pagan worship which included Temple prostitution. And the folks At UFMCC, a church with outreach to the GLBT community, certainly say that there is nowhere in the Bible that really teaches against homosexuality. And check it out, Jesus never mentioned the subject at all!! UFMCC leaders say that a person CAN be GLBT and Christian. I've been a friend of the church for many years, and am a cyber member of a MCC church in Montana. Guess it's all about how one reads the Bible.

• 3 weeks later...
So we were doing this sex ed curriculum thing at my church, right? And they mentioned that "All humans are sexual" (which is pretty much wrong however you define 'sexual') and that "it's natural to be attracted to the opposite gender, the same gender, or both." So I ask about being attracted to people of neither gender, and the teacher did some research and found...AVEN! So now she says she's planning to contack the curriculum writers about that omission. :D One step closer to world domination - um, I mean acceptance... :)

Woo!! :D I'm gonna have a go at my deputy head and make him put it in the school sex-ed curriculum if it's not in there (I have sex-ed next week).

Hahahahaha...world domination :twisted:

Wee_Little_Me

Thats an awsome teacher/priestess/person of yours.

Church has always been disgusted with homosexuality and they ALWAYS drag it back to " the bible says its bad" and all that rubbish.

Not my Church, either. The UCC (United Church of Christ) is very open-minded. There was some hooplah about a year ago when they tried to put out a commercial about everyone of every nationality, sexuality, creed, and race being accepted at their churches, and several major networks refused to air it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is so cool that you got them to teach about asexuality :D :aven: :vis:

I was actually thinking about going to a Unitarian church. They seem really liberal and accepting of other people.

As for the tree thing....

Some people are stupid. :roll:

The first Sunday in January, in the 8th grade sexuality education class at my UU church (UCC uses the same curriculum), we are doing the unit on orientation, and asexuality is getting equal time. The following week, we are having a guest orientation/identity panel (also part of the formal curriculum), composed of a gay male couple, a lesbain, a bisexual, a transgender person, and an asexual. The students can ask the panel members any relevant questions (anonymously through a question box, or directly in the class) and have a right to a full and factual answer, because that is our covenant with the students. That said, the individual panel members may pass on answering a question they regard as too personal, as that is also part of our covenant with them (panel and students). All of this is supervised and organized by the four adult church members who team teach the class.

Asexuality is not in the class materials yet, so this is not the case everywhere this curriculum is taught, but it is now part of the teacher training.

boa

Bravo on your victory but I don't anticipate too many schools are going to be willing to discuss asexuality as part of the curriculum. As I understand it very few schools discuss sexuality.

I picked up a newer copy of a Bible earlier today while cleaning my Hebrew School storage room, and Leviticus wasn't in there at all :shock:

*giggles*

So much for the word of the Lord...

SpirallingSnowy

Soz for my generalisations guys... talking stereo typically, and im glad to see that not everyone is old fashioned and some churches nad religions are actually progressive!!! :D

• 1 month later...
Fishofthedead9

I'm glad something is being done

when i had sex education at my school i cried about every lesson cause i didn't understand it at all and no one ever mentioned asexuallity at all

hopefully this should stop asexuals feeling this way in future.

We also had to fill out anonomous forms with our thoughts on things and there were no asexual options leaving me in a very tricky situation

• 4 weeks later...

That's awesome. My health class didn't say anything about asexuality, but we actually didn't discuss sexual orientation at all (it was also taught by an English teacher, probably a real health teacher would have).

I wonder how it is we do that?

• 2 weeks later...

I knew you had to be a Unitarian before I read past the first line :D I was raised UU also and had sex-ed as part of my regular Sunday school curriculum in about 2nd grade (we just learned about the mechanics of boy and girl parts - not about variations in human sexuality or any of that).

I feel like it would be easier to get mainstream sex(less)-ed curricula to include asexuality than to get them to present a reasonable description of homosexuality (currently they think all gays die of AIDS before age 40 - or at least they did four years ago when I had to take the class). After all, they want us ALL to be asexual, at least till we're married! And even then you're not supposed to enjoy it.

• 5 years later...

At the New York City Department of Education (DOE), I have brought up the inclusion of asexuality in its sex ed curriculum. The DOE announced the start of mandatory comprehensive sex ed a few months ago. I mentioned asexuality (along with other non-heteronormative sexualities) at a briefing. The spokesperson mentioned something about safe schools programs but did not mention the inclusion of asexuality in sexual health education.

If schools have comprehensive sex ed, they must include asexuality, or at least have easy access to good materials dealing with the issue. A non-inclusive curriculum is not only inaccurate but it also can makes students feel isolated and depressed.

Heya, just a reminder - if a thread has been inactive for more than just a month or so,please don't revive it. Instead, if you still wish to dicuss the topic, please consider starting a new thread.

This thread is now being locked.

Thanks.

-Cleander, Project Team

Archived