Asexuality in sex ed curriculum!?

Fermatprime

So we were doing this sex ed curriculum thing at my church, right? And they mentioned that "All humans are sexual" (which is pretty much wrong however you define 'sexual') and that "it's natural to be attracted to the opposite gender, the same gender, or both." So I ask about being attracted to people of neither gender, and the teacher did some research and found...AVEN! So now she says she's planning to contack the curriculum writers about that omission. :D One step closer to world domination - um, I mean acceptance... :)

Now maybe if I can get asexuality into school sex ed curricula...somehow....

I'm glad the instructor was open-minded and willing to do her own research. I hope asexuality can be mentioned in more and more sex education environments.

Well done, you--and I'm glad you found a teacher who was willing to research, rethink and rewrite when confronted with new information!

:vis:

Borrible Cal.

VivreEstEsperer

Wow, that's great! There's a church living up to its core values.

• 3 weeks later...
98slbrookes98

I actually think that in sex education we should be taught not only the "usual" but also the concepts of lesbian, gay, straight, bi and asexual.

That's excellent :D I plan on speak to the local colleges about getting asexuality added it, but last semester I talked my Sociology teacher into talking about it.

Some stupid girl asked if asexuals were people that liked to have sex with trees :roll:

Some stupid girl asked if asexuals were people that liked to have sex with trees :roll:

WTF? Give that girl some milk and cookies and tell her it's nap time.

• 3 weeks later...
98slbrookes98
That's excellent :D I plan on speak to the local colleges about getting asexuality added it, but last semester I talked my Sociology teacher into talking about it.

What???? Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

• 2 weeks later...

That'd be dendrophiliacs, right? I think she must've heard about both and just gotten terms mixed up due to non-use. (I know, I'm too tolerant of stupidity, it's a product of my doormatish nature and public school education.)

On Dec 19th, I'm scheduled to be on a panel of other LGBTQIAE people in the grad 8 OWL classes at my local UU church in Arlington VA US of A. They don't just get to study about sexual minority people in the curriculum; they get to meet and talk to real live ones from the congregation (gasp)!

boa

Yes! We will help reduce the population problem by making asexualism a recognized lifestyle choice for every student!

I really dont feel comfortable wearing an "nobody knows I'm Asexual" t-shirt.

But, I'd wear one with a pride flag and LGBTQAIE on it...

quietly sneaking in the A that way...

• 2 weeks later...
On Dec 19th, I'm scheduled to be on a panel of other LGBTQIAE people in the grad 8 OWL classes at my local UU church in Arlington VA US of A. They don't just get to study about sexual minority people in the curriculum; they get to meet and talk to real live ones from the congregation (gasp)!

boa

It went well. There were two classes. bishop came to the first one as well. As did gay men and lesbians, single and couples, but alas no trans folk. We each talked briefly about what it was like to be who we are, coming out, dealing with high school, tolerance, value of diversity, what not. I had to throw in a little explanatory stuff as asexuality was previously unheard of by all involved, and I also had handouts on trans, queer, and bi, all from the UU lgbt website, and one on asex that I knocked together. And we answered questions, some submited anonymously beforehand and some asked in class. Twelve or so students in each class, and two adult teachers. Yeah. It ws a good day.

boa

• 1 month later...

That is very good that you got it into the curriculum of your church sex ed. Here's my question 4 you. What church does sex ed? (Huh???)

Anyway, I think that it is very important because people need to know that Jesus came for EVERYONE, not just white, fundamentalist, American, people from nuclear family units where the man works and woman stays home with her statistical average 2.5 children, dog, and white picket fence.

Unitarian Universalist. Although some UUs consider themselves Christian, the UU church has no creed and no scripture in which one must belive in order to belong.

boa

• 8 months later...

I'm doing a paper on it for sociology. I don't know how many sources I have to have, but I hope that the teacher will say it's okay to use a lot of stuff from this site (maybe from you guys, I'll have to ask her).

Sex ed at a church said it was natural to be attracted to the same gender? Wow. In my experience all Christian systems seem to be hard-wired against homosexuals...interesting...

Awesome that asexuality is going into the curriculum!

(tries to imagine how that would work... ) :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That poor girl...

Sex ed at a church said it was natural to be attracted to the same gender? Wow. In my experience all Christian systems seem to be hard-wired against homosexuals...interesting...

Awesome that asexuality is going into the curriculum!

It's not a Christian Church. The Unitarian Universalist Church was started by a Christian man, but it now is based on spirituality, not a specific doctrine. The churches are just places for people of all beliefs to gather and worship in their own way, together. They're extremely liberal groups. I heard of someone taking their new neighbor to their UUC when the neighbor had not yet found a parish. In the church she said something about getting rid of f**s. Everyone nearby just stared at her, made disgusted faces, and turned away. The person that took her was really embarrassed to be seen with her.

• 1 month later...

Archived