Asexuality and the LGBT Community

The A Life Team

Are you involved?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Are you involved in a sexual diversity group?

• Yes, and I'm a straight asexual.
    • Yes, and I'm a G/L/B/T/other asexual.
    • Yes, and I'm an aromantic asexual.
    • No, and I'm a straight asexual.
    • No, and I'm a G/L/B/T/other asexual.
    • No, and I'm an aromantic asexual.

The A Life Team

Hi everyone!

This is the poll for episode 4 of the 'A Life' podcast. In this episode, the Team talks about how asexuality interstecs, or doesn't, with the LGBT community and what our personal experiences have been. This is a pretty hot issue on AVEN a lot of the time, so let us know what you think!

~The A Life Team

I say 'no' because there isn't really much going on in my area as far as I know, and I don't really go out much in any case. That said, I am going to a protest about a local politician who was a homophobic ass lately in a few days.

(It's not a surprise, the git used the Golly Wog in an election campaign once)

Lord Happy Toast

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I'm not going to vote in this poll (just like I didn't vote in the last one) because I don't fit into any of the categories. I identify as asexual, but I consider myself neither romantic nor aromantic and there are a number of others in the asexual community who don't identify as either.

that_american_kid
I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I'm not going to vote in this poll (just like I didn't vote in the last one) because I don't fit into any of the categories. I identify as asexual, but I consider myself neither romantic nor aromantic and there are a number of others in the asexual community who don't identify as either.

You always have something awesome and insightful to say. :) Can I ask, how does it work, not identifying as romantic or aromantic? I hadn't heard of that concept before and now I'm curious.

(Not posting as a podcaster, but as a poll-responder this time. Hence using my private account.)

I'm not a fan of the Asexual lgbt link

I am unable to see how a sexual orientation group can represent a non sexual orientation group

You always have something awesome and insightful to say. :) Can I ask, how does it work, not identifying as romantic or aromantic? I hadn't heard of that concept before and now I'm curious.

(Not posting as a podcaster, but as a poll-responder this time. Hence using my private account.)

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I don't identify as romantic or aromantic either, so I thought I'd give my perspective. When I first joined AVEN, the terms were not as prevalent as they are today. For me, asexual is my orientation and that's it. It's really tiring in every thread to be all, "well, you know, there are people who don't identify as romantic or aromantic". But, I feel like if I don't say anything it will just perpetuate the idea that you have to fit into this romantic/aromantic binary. No other orientation has to do that, and neither do we (unless we want to). I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

I'd like to add ditto to the people saying they don't consider themselves in a romantic/aromantic binary. I don't have a very good explanation for it... to start, I'm not exactly sure what "romantic" is, anyway. I don't think I've felt "romantic attraction," but I don't necessarily feel "aromantic," either. I wasn't sure in the poll to choose LGBT asexual or aromantic asexual, as being queer is also central to my identity and I wasn't sure if that was included in the LGBT option. I ended up putting myself in the "aromantic asexual" category, but the more I think about it, the less sure I am.

Regarding the first part, I'm joining my school's GSA this year, so I don't have any experiences with the LGBT community yet, other than my bisexual friend being very accepting of me. :)

I'm not actually involved with the groups on campus currently. One of them meets at the same time as one of my classes, and the other is little more than a popularity contest. However, I am heavily involved in the Sexual and Gender Diversity Resource Center at my campus, so I check "yes."

I'm not, but I'm not sure if I should vote straight or aromantic asexual :unsure::wacko:

I'm not going to vote in this poll (just like I didn't vote in the last one) because I don't fit into any of the categories. I identify as asexual, but I consider myself neither romantic nor aromantic and there are a number of others in the asexual community who don't identify as either.
I don't identify as romantic or aromantic either, so I thought I'd give my perspective. When I first joined AVEN, the terms were not as prevalent as they are today. For me, asexual is my orientation and that's it. It's really tiring in every thread to be all, "well, you know, there are people who don't identify as romantic or aromantic". But, I feel like if I don't say anything it will just perpetuate the idea that you have to fit into this romantic/aromantic binary. No other orientation has to do that, and neither do we (unless we want to). I don't understand why it wouldn't work.
I'd like to add ditto to the people saying they don't consider themselves in a romantic/aromantic binary. I don't have a very good explanation for it... to start, I'm not exactly sure what "romantic" is, anyway. I don't think I've felt "romantic attraction," but I don't necessarily feel "aromantic," either.

I, too, didn't vote because I don't fit under either description.

I am not involved in any LGBT group, although I am supportive of their community. I don't know of any such group in my city, probably because many people here are very homophobic and heteronormative, and the group would probably be treated poorly.

that_american_kid

I'll be honest guys, I had no idea so many people didn't identify as romantic or aromantic. I'm really sorry I didn't put in a choice there for you guys. :( Thanks for writing to let me know about the oversight! There won't be another like it, though I'm pretty sure I'll screw something up again eventually. :D

TheMelbourneMethod

I actually sometimes wish I were (for instance, right about now it would make AVED a whole lot easier to get ready for/celebrate) but going to a Catholic college in a small town doesn't really give you that opportunity.

The A Life Team
What about the 4 or 5 sexual posters? No option for us?

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. The answer is, though, no, because the point of the poll was to find out about Asexuals and their involvement in the LGBT community.

It's not that we don't love our sexual listeners as well- absolutely we do! You just weren't the group we were looking for answers from on this question.

I put yes because I've been involved in equal marriage rights for homeosexual people here.

So far, I haven't really been active in the LGBT etc movement/community.

I've had some second thoughts about how I'd even be welcomed.

Archived