Photo

Asexuality and the LGBT Community

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you involved? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you involved in a sexual diversity group?

1. Yes, and I'm a straight asexual. (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

2. Yes, and I'm a G/L/B/T/other asexual. (14 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

3. Yes, and I'm an aromantic asexual. (8 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. No, and I'm a straight asexual. (16 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. No, and I'm a G/L/B/T/other asexual. (12 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

6. No, and I'm an aromantic asexual. (13 votes [20.31%])

Percentage of vote: 20.31%

Vote

#1 The A Life Team

The A Life Team

Amoeba

• AVEN Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

Hi everyone!

This is the poll for episode 4 of the 'A Life' podcast. In this episode, the Team talks about how asexuality interstecs, or doesn't, with the LGBT community and what our personal experiences have been. This is a pretty hot issue on AVEN a lot of the time, so let us know what you think!

~The A Life Team
~The A Life Team

alifepodcast.wordpress.com
theALifeteam@gmail.com

#2 bristrek

bristrek

A-gent

• AVEN Members
  • 1,643 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Demi-panromantic Asexual

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

I say 'no' because there isn't really much going on in my area as far as I know, and I don't really go out much in any case. That said, I am going to a protest about a local politician who was a homophobic ass lately in a few days.

(It's not a surprise, the git used the Golly Wog in an election campaign once)

INTERNET ERGO SUM

#3 Lord Happy Toast

Lord Happy Toast

A-phrodite

• AVEN Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:38 AM

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I'm not going to vote in this poll (just like I didn't vote in the last one) because I don't fit into any of the categories. I identify as asexual, but I consider myself neither romantic nor aromantic and there are a number of others in the asexual community who don't identify as either.

#4 that_american_kid

that_american_kid

Asexy

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I'm not going to vote in this poll (just like I didn't vote in the last one) because I don't fit into any of the categories. I identify as asexual, but I consider myself neither romantic nor aromantic and there are a number of others in the asexual community who don't identify as either.

You always have something awesome and insightful to say. :) Can I ask, how does it work, not identifying as romantic or aromantic? I hadn't heard of that concept before and now I'm curious.

(Not posting as a podcaster, but as a poll-responder this time. Hence using my private account.)
"Tu naktī raudzīsies zvaigsnēs
bet es taču dzīvošu vienā no tām,
bet es taču smiešos vienā no tām,
un tad tev šķitīs, it kā smietos
visas zvaigznes, kas prot smieties!"
~Mazais Pricis

The Blog: Sheldon Has No Deal
The Podcast: A Life Podcast

#5 -V-

-V-

AVENator

• AVEN Members
  • 3,583 posts
  • A/Sexuality:straight, little bi-curious

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:02 AM

What about the 4 or 5 sexual posters? No option for us?
new sig as of 6/27

Don't be friends with rapists.
--Dan Savage.

#6 PiF

PiF

Old Skool Asexual

• Banned
  • 7,585 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Straight Asexual

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:38 AM

I'm not a fan of the Asexual lgbt link

I am unable to see how a sexual orientation group can represent a non sexual orientation group

When life gives you Lemons....Make lemonade

#7 Guest_member25959_*

Guest_member25959_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

Yes, and I'm an aromantic asexual.
I joined the LGBT at college! ^_^

#8 ily

ily

A-Grade AVENite

• AVEN Members
  • 4,713 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 14 September 2009 - 09:51 PM

You always have something awesome and insightful to say. :) Can I ask, how does it work, not identifying as romantic or aromantic? I hadn't heard of that concept before and now I'm curious.

(Not posting as a podcaster, but as a poll-responder this time. Hence using my private account.)

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I don't identify as romantic or aromantic either, so I thought I'd give my perspective. When I first joined AVEN, the terms were not as prevalent as they are today. For me, asexual is my orientation and that's it. It's really tiring in every thread to be all, "well, you know, there are people who don't identify as romantic or aromantic". But, I feel like if I don't say anything it will just perpetuate the idea that you have to fit into this romantic/aromantic binary. No other orientation has to do that, and neither do we (unless we want to). I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

asexy beast, the blog (archives)

adventures in unemployment, the zine

"I was chaste to the point of rudeness."--Hippolytus

#9 Espikai

Espikai

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • A/Sexuality:A/panromantic asexual

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:14 AM

I'd like to add ditto to the people saying they don't consider themselves in a romantic/aromantic binary. I don't have a very good explanation for it... to start, I'm not exactly sure what "romantic" is, anyway. I don't think I've felt "romantic attraction," but I don't necessarily feel "aromantic," either. I wasn't sure in the poll to choose LGBT asexual or aromantic asexual, as being queer is also central to my identity and I wasn't sure if that was included in the LGBT option. I ended up putting myself in the "aromantic asexual" category, but the more I think about it, the less sure I am.

Regarding the first part, I'm joining my school's GSA this year, so I don't have any experiences with the LGBT community yet, other than my bisexual friend being very accepting of me. :)
It's an Ace Thing
Queer. Transgender. Asexual. Geeky.

#10 CrazyCatLover

CrazyCatLover

So Asexy it Hurts

• AVEN Members
  • 6,376 posts
  • Pronouns:zhe/hir
  • A/Sexuality:Double A

Posted 17 September 2009 - 03:45 AM

I'm not actually involved with the groups on campus currently. One of them meets at the same time as one of my classes, and the other is little more than a popularity contest. However, I am heavily involved in the Sexual and Gender Diversity Resource Center at my campus, so I check "yes."
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Posted Image

#11 Jillianimal

Jillianimal

A-gent

• AVEN Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Andro(gray)romantic Asexual

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:30 AM

I'm not, but I'm not sure if I should vote straight or aromantic asexual :unsure: :wacko:
"No, my friend. We are lunatics from the hospital up the highway, psycho-ceramics, the cracked pots of mankind. Would you like me to decipher a Rorschach for you? No? You must hurry on? Ah, he's gone. Pity." ~ Dale Harding (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest [the best book evah])

Posted Image I am a machine. No longer living, just a shell of what I dream.Posted Image

#12 Cerebrum

Cerebrum

Asexy A-postle

• AVEN Members
  • 581 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Asexual

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:08 AM

I'm not going to vote in this poll (just like I didn't vote in the last one) because I don't fit into any of the categories. I identify as asexual, but I consider myself neither romantic nor aromantic and there are a number of others in the asexual community who don't identify as either.

I don't identify as romantic or aromantic either, so I thought I'd give my perspective. When I first joined AVEN, the terms were not as prevalent as they are today. For me, asexual is my orientation and that's it. It's really tiring in every thread to be all, "well, you know, there are people who don't identify as romantic or aromantic". But, I feel like if I don't say anything it will just perpetuate the idea that you have to fit into this romantic/aromantic binary. No other orientation has to do that, and neither do we (unless we want to). I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

I'd like to add ditto to the people saying they don't consider themselves in a romantic/aromantic binary. I don't have a very good explanation for it... to start, I'm not exactly sure what "romantic" is, anyway. I don't think I've felt "romantic attraction," but I don't necessarily feel "aromantic," either.

I, too, didn't vote because I don't fit under either description.

I am not involved in any LGBT group, although I am supportive of their community. I don't know of any such group in my city, probably because many people here are very homophobic and heteronormative, and the group would probably be treated poorly.
"Being in love was like China: you knew it was there, and no doubt it was very interesting, and some people went there, but I never would. I'd spend all my life without ever going to China, but it wouldn't matter, because there was all the rest of the world to visit." -- Philip Pullman, The Amber Spyglass

#13 that_american_kid

that_american_kid

Asexy

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:44 AM

I'll be honest guys, I had no idea so many people didn't identify as romantic or aromantic. I'm really sorry I didn't put in a choice there for you guys. :( Thanks for writing to let me know about the oversight! There won't be another like it, though I'm pretty sure I'll screw something up again eventually. :D
"Tu naktī raudzīsies zvaigsnēs
bet es taču dzīvošu vienā no tām,
bet es taču smiešos vienā no tām,
un tad tev šķitīs, it kā smietos
visas zvaigznes, kas prot smieties!"
~Mazais Pricis

The Blog: Sheldon Has No Deal
The Podcast: A Life Podcast

#14 TheMelbourneMethod

TheMelbourneMethod

Asexy

• AVEN Members
  • 431 posts
  • A/Sexuality:hetero-ace

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:51 AM

I actually sometimes wish I were (for instance, right about now it would make AVED a whole lot easier to get ready for/celebrate) but going to a Catholic college in a small town doesn't really give you that opportunity.
Posted Image

#15 The A Life Team

The A Life Team

Amoeba

• AVEN Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

What about the 4 or 5 sexual posters? No option for us?

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. The answer is, though, no, because the point of the poll was to find out about Asexuals and their involvement in the LGBT community.
It's not that we don't love our sexual listeners as well- absolutely we do! You just weren't the group we were looking for answers from on this question.
~The A Life Team

alifepodcast.wordpress.com
theALifeteam@gmail.com

#16 ChaliceFlame

ChaliceFlame

Too Asexy for this Site

• AVEN Members
  • 604 posts
  • A/Sexuality:Biromantic Asexual.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:06 AM

I put yes because I've been involved in equal marriage rights for homeosexual people here.
So far, I haven't really been active in the LGBT etc movement/community.
I've had some second thoughts about how I'd even be welcomed.
Do onto others as you would do to yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users