Why won't people let boys where dresses/skirts?

Cupcake_Master

We'll just wear tea-towels like House Elves.

I want kilts and androgynous t-shirts for everyone.

I think I'll take the nude. I don't so much like the draft that could potentially blow up under me.

I want kilts and androgynous t-shirts for everyone.

I think I'll take the nude. I don't so much like the draft that could potentially blow up under me.

I forgot to mention: breaking tradition, we can all wear underwear under the kilts.

Surely you're at as much a risk of a draught if you're nude?

Somewhat on topic: Does anyone else here know the bold fashion statements of Kasmeneo?

Now there's a guy who doesn't let anyone limit him in wearing what he likes.

I love his outfits!

kasmeneo.jpg

But hes not a child doing it in public school. If someone gives him shit for what he wears he has the defenses to cope with it or protect himself.

True. It's a sad thing that wearing skirts it not accepted for boys. not accepted yet.

I truly believe people have the power to change that as much as the power of the people who have fought for girls rights to wear pants. Things can change, one rebel at a time.

A thought suddenly occurs to me. If it suddenly becomes acceptable for men to wear skirts will men be expected to shave their legs as women are? Will stockings be far behind?

Guest member25959
A thought suddenly occurs to me. If it suddenly becomes acceptable for men to wear skirts will men be expected to shave their legs as women are? Will stockings be far behind?

I think men would HAVE to shave their legs if they wore skirts :blink:

*Imagines hairy legs*

Guest member25959
True. It's a sad thing that wearing skirts it not accepted for boys. not accepted yet.

I truly believe people have the power to change that as much as the power of the people who have fought for girls rights to wear pants. Things can change, one rebel at a time.

It can be accepted, if the boy is MtF or looks like a girl. But thats not the same really. :mellow:

Somewhat on topic: Does anyone else here know the bold fashion statements of Kasmeneo?

Now there's a guy who doesn't let anyone limit him in wearing what he likes.

I love his outfits!

kasmeneo.jpg

Yeah, but those outfits look Scottish, and everyone knows that Scottish men wear kilts.

If a regular guy were to just wear a blouse of some sort and a skirt -- not a kilt, a SKIRT -- the reaction would probably be different.

Yeah, but those outfits look Scottish, and everyone knows that Scottish men wear kilts.

If a regular guy were to just wear a blouse of some sort and a skirt -- not a kilt, a SKIRT -- the reaction would probably be different.

They weren't supposed to look like kilts. Check out some more of his outfits, he has many kinds of skirts. He shops quite indiscriminately at mens and womens departments of popular shops such as H&M. I think it's more the sight of a man looking masculine in a skirt that makes people judge a skirt as 'kilt-like' then the skirt itsself.

I think adults are much more freaked out about kids' gender variance than kids, most of the time. One of my friends has a son who likes to play with polly pockets and wear sparkly things. He does fine with his peers.

I vaguely knew a guy at college who would wear long, a-line skirts with ruffles. He wasn't cross-dressing; he usually wore a T-shirt on top, had stubble, and did nothing to disguise his maleness. He was just a guy in a skirt. I never really got to know him well, because I couldn't get past the gaggle of other women who wanted to get into his pants (or, uh, skirt, as it were).

Kasmeneo outfit #1 is really nice. I appreciate what he's trying to do with #2, but it's a little eye-watering for my personal tastes.

*Imagines hairy legs*

Imagine furry legs ;)

Men who wear kilts or shorts don't necessarily shave their legs...

To shave or not shave should be another personal choice (for men or women - my personal preference is shaved. I find it more attractive on women, and I don't mind doing it myself. But I would never presume to tell anyone else the HAVE to.)

(I think your comment was not meant to be taken too seriously so I hope mine doesn't sound like I'm coming down on you too hard)

The first one is kind of kiltesque, the second one, really? really? And the first one only looks like a kilt because of the argyle socks.

*Imagines hairy legs*

All up to their personal tastes. Nothing wrong with a little fur on the legs. I never shave my legs and never thought anyone man or women got prettier from doing so.

That's the main reason I don't wear the things more often, and when I do it's usually over something else. That and I just don't like exposed flesh. :blush:

I never particularly understood why there should be gender differences in clothing. I know of most of the 'rules', simply because it was easier to learn and stop transgressing them throughout school, but they've never really seemed more than pointless and arbitrary.

This isn't so much the case with skirts, but one thing I have noticed recently is that certain types of clothing are more likely to look better on one sex than the other. There's no reason why they necessarily won't look good on either, but they're often specifically designed to suit (or often merely accentuate) certain body shapes/types and so on. I think the issue is more whether it looks good on the individual or not..

I think someone wearing something which doesn't meet gender expectations but looking good for it is less likely to be subject to ridicule than someone who just looks completely out of place. The problem is that most men who wear clothing designed for women do look out of place (myself included often enough), whereas women wearing men's clothing often just seem perfectly normal. It's more a question of learning how to look good in it than of wearing it. I think it would become far more acceptable far more quickly were that the case.

This was never the way I planned

Not my intention

I got so brave, skirt in hand

Lost my discretion

It's not what, I'm used to

Just wanna try you on

I'm curious for you

Caught my attention

I wore a skirt and I liked it

It even had a side split

I wore a skirt just to try it

I hope my girlfriend don't mind it

It felt so wrong

It felt so right

Don't mean I'm in drag tonight

I wore a skirt and I liked it

I liked it

No, I don't even know my size

It doesn't matter

It's my experimental game

Just human nature

It's not what most boys do

Not how most boys behave

My head gets so confused

Hard to obey

I bought a skirt and I liked it

It even had a side split

I bought a skirt just to try it

I hope my girlfriend don't mind it

It felt so wrong

It felt so right

I bought a skirt and I liked it

I liked it

Those skirts they are so magical

Soft lines, red lace, so wearable

Hard to resist so touchable

Too good to deny it

Ain't no big deal, it's beautiful

I'm wearing skirts and I like it

It even has a side split

I'm wearing skirts and I won't quit

And my girlfriend she loves it

It feels so great

It feels so right

I'm wearing skirts and I like it

I like it

ps: can you tell I have too much free time?

Um, that man looks like a fool in those outfits, and not just because they involve skirts. I'd hope we'd teach our children the value of fashion sense as well.

Fashion, pshaw!

Do what you like is what I say.

...Interesting question. Is there such a thing as a universal "fashion sense"? :blink:

By the way, I love your poem Sammie

Um, that man looks like a fool in those outfits, and not just because they involve skirts. I'd hope we'd teach our children the value of fashion sense as well.

I think that man looks great, and it's not because he's in a skirt, but my fashion sense is "hipster trash." :P

The problem is we live in a hetero normative society. You're not supposed to be queer, you're not supposed to dress out side of what this society sees as normal, and if you do they're scared of you. You're different then them, and most people won't take the time to get to know other people who are queer. Society in a general sees things in a binary of male and female. If you're a boy, you're supposed to wear clothes that look like boys. If you're a girl, you're supposed to wear clothes that look like girls.

I think in general people are becoming more comfortable with those who don't conform to gender standards.

I personally really love messing with peoples minds by dressing out side of the normal gender binary, but where I live isn't a safe place to do it.

I do suggest doing it if you have a safe place to do so though.

I'm not optimistic enough to say that one day there will be no gender norms. But I do know gendernorms can change. If enough boys wear a skirt with pride, it will be accepted eventually.

I think that man looks great, and it's not because he's in a skirt, but my fashion sense is "hipster trash." :P

Seconded. Skirt or not, I love his style.

I think some guys look great in a skirt or dress and I like looking at them. I also would like to be able to wear what I want whether I am man or woman. So maybe I have an agenda, but I'm all for ridding the world of these gender-labels. ;)

Really, does no one appreciate how pretty skirts are? And they show leg! *nosebleed*

Archived