How do I learn more about romance?

Cupcake_Master

Cupcake_Master

I'm aromantic,and yet I'm writing a book with a lot of romance,and sexual stuff.

I know the basics on romance,I watch enough anime,play enough video games and read enough fanfiction/manga to understand.

But,not much on the psychological aspects of romance and sex..

Help?

I know the basics on romance,I watch enough anime,play enough video games and read enough fanfiction/manga to understand.

Before this thread becomes a many-sided, many-layered debate about semantics, I'll just get this out of the way: NONE of those things are even remotely acceptable sources of information on romance. Forget everything you think you know about romance and start over.

Cupcake_Master
Before this thread becomes a many-sided, many-layered debate about semantics, I'll just get this out of the way: NONE of those things are even remotely acceptable sources of information on romance. Forget everything you think you know about romance and start over.

Yes,I know that most of that stuff is random and unreal. But,my book is a bit..Unreal,I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same issue when I was writing a play with some romance in it. My best advice to you is to observe and talk to real people in your life. If you're doing research for a writing project, you can probably even ask people awkward questions and they'll be okay with it.

Here's a few things I personally find romantic in ways. (From experience.)

Cooking a home cooked meal with someone else, then dim the lights and light some candles and have a candlelit dinner whilst reminiscing about past events with each other. :) Cheesy, definitely. Romantic, yes.

Going on a picnic with a portable CD player and listen to oldies while you eat. Then make each other a beaded bracelet or something similar. :) (This is more romantic in the warmth, not the cold.) xD

Laying with the other person in bed, watching a movie, and knowing you have someone to turn to if something scary happens. :)

• 1 month later...
I'm aromantic,and yet I'm writing a book with a lot of romance,and sexual stuff.

But,not much on the psychological aspects of romance and sex..

Help?

You might find the Lee book cited here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_styles of some value, it seems to be widely used in psychology and communication studies.

I'm curious why you're interested in writing a book "with a lot of romance,and sexual stuff"?

Archived