"The Psychology of Asexuality"

graylightsavings

The author has "Master's degrees in Psychology, Study of Consciousness & QM (quantum mechanics) and in Philosophy and also has diplomas in Management, Journalism and Counseling"? Why do I seriously doubt that?

Perhaps because, for example a "Master's degree in Study of Consciousness & QM" is unique to Saberi Roy in the English speaking internet. No institution claims to offer such a qualification, and no other individual claims to have received one.

Saberi Roy is SPECIAL.

The author has "Master's degrees in Psychology, Study of Consciousness & QM (quantum mechanics) and in Philosophy and also has diplomas in Management, Journalism and Counseling"? Why do I seriously doubt that?

Perhaps because, for example a "Master's degree in Study of Consciousness & QM" is unique to Saberi Roy in the English speaking internet. No institution claims to offer such a qualification, and no other individual claims to have received one.

Saberi Roy is SPECIAL.

There's a book about it. She didn't make up the study, although she may have made up the degree.

Saberi Roy is SPECIAL.

There's a book about it. She didn't make up the study, although she may have made up the degree.

Or it could be that it was her major in her MPsych, and she can't format postnomials.

If so, I'd love to know what uni it came from so I could avoid it.

What degrees she actually has are probably from correspondence schools. The internet does not check credentials.

AnaBlackwell

Bullocks! It's like an egg trying to describe the true meaning of being an orange. This was apparent in the first line of the article: "Asexuality in humans is a rather confusing condition as asexuality may be socially, intellectually, psychologically or biologically induced". What kind of intellectual (with a degree in science!) describes a condition as "confusing".

Why do people take asexuality so personally anyway? This is just a theory, but what if people, deep down, feel ashamed about their pursuit of sex, and their loss of control when they really enjoy it, and resent asexuals, whom they perceive as lacking the ability to lose their composure in that way?

"Psychological studies are mainly based on asexuals who are asexual in practice and thus such studies could be severely flawed as in these cases, people who are considered asexuals may still have latent or repressed sexual desire so they are theoretically not asexual."

It's not like you're anorexic, and refusing to eat. At the same time, anorexics want to eat, don't they? They just don't want to get fat. So, the anorexia is a symptom of the underlying problem.

So, an asexual who has latent sexual desire is still asexual. Free will, biology, or psychology notwithstanding, an asexual is just that.

The rest of you guys are being really mean to Saberi Roy. Saberi...Roy. That can't be her real name.

Bullocks! It's like an egg trying to describe the true meaning of being an orange. This was apparent in the first line of the article: "Asexuality in humans is a rather confusing condition as asexuality may be socially, intellectually, psychologically or biologically induced". What kind of intellectual (with a degree in science!) describes a condition as "confusing".

Why do people take asexuality so personally anyway? This is just a theory, but what if people, deep down, feel ashamed about their pursuit of sex, and their loss of control when they really enjoy it, and resent asexuals, whom they perceive as lacking the ability to lose their composure in that way?

"Psychological studies are mainly based on asexuals who are asexual in practice and thus such studies could be severely flawed as in these cases, people who are considered asexuals may still have latent or repressed sexual desire so they are theoretically not asexual."

It's not like you're anorexic, and refusing to eat. At the same time, anorexics want to eat, don't they? They just don't want to get fat. So, the anorexia is a symptom of the underlying problem.

So, an asexual who has latent sexual desire is still asexual. Free will, biology, or psychology notwithstanding, an asexual is just that.

The rest of you guys are being really mean to Saberi Roy. Saberi...Roy. That can't be her real name.

I have heard some people say that they're jealous of asexuals, but I don't think that's common. I'd assume that's probably mostly people who have low self esteem or have trouble getting laid/don't want to for other reasons. Most people just seem to feel sorry for us.

AnaBlackwell
I have heard some people say that they're jealous of asexuals, but I don't think that's common. I'd assume that's probably mostly people who have low self esteem or have trouble getting laid/don't want to for other reasons. Most people just seem to feel sorry for us.

I think I may not have clearly expressed my point. I was not saying that everyone who has a sexual orientation is jealous of asexuals. I was saying that there MIGHT be some conscious and psychological aversion to succumbing to one's primordial instincts. This statement may not make sense to anyone but myself, so I am going to end this here.

Archived