Are we really part of the queer movement?

sinisterporpoise

I didn't mean to imply they were so obliged, rather simply to state we may encounter problems if we try to be part of a group that doesn't want us. Though it is a little annoying that different subgroups within the GLBTetc. community use slightly different acronyms and have slightly different ideas about asexuality, and so on.

I think we are. Homosexuality was once considered a disease like asexuality often is. Now people in developed countries realize that it's not something caused by insanity. The same can't go for asexuality. Also, some religions *coughcoughCatholicismcough* think that marriage without sex is immoral because apparently, the purpose of marriage is to just pop out Jesus-loving babies. People want to make dates for us, hook us up with people, help us "get out there and live a little" and crap like that. If you said, "Sorry dude, but you know I'm gay," would probably get them to stop trying to hook you up with people like that. If you say that you're ace, they pull one of the many Bingo-card answers. Most gay people have to deal with bigotry on mostly the religious level, but we have to deal with crap from religious and secular people (not undermining the crap gays and transfolk have to deal with, but think about it, you never really hear of a secular person arguing against gay rights or calling homosexuality wrong/sick/etc). I can't think of any legal battles asexuals would have to fight, but society really has a very long way to go as far as accepting asexuality goes.

Not at all. I have been on the Gay Scene for over 10 years, I have never ever met one person who is the same as those I know who go to the meets. Our outlook, use of language, body language, the way we talk, interact and even the clothes we wear, we also generally keep them on.

There was one person on the scene though, but the way they started talking on a particular subject one time, well, it was utter filth, even for my ears, that had grown immune to all the talk that has been around me over those years.

ZombiesxArexLove

I dont think were a part of it. We are not by today's standards queer, but we are different. We are not beng denied anything either. As someone else put it we need a cultural change not a political one.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

I think individual asexuals should be accepted as part of the queer movement if they want to be. I understand many aces don't see themselves as queer, and they don't have to call themselves such, but since I'm panromantic and genderless, I would really like to be accepted as queer for those reasons, if not my asexuality...Yet, those are just kind of seen as side effects of being asexual, which doesn't seem to really count. It bothers me a lot when my lesbian friend (who knows how I identify) sees me as the same as "straight" since I'm currently in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex. I want to feel like I belong somewhere to belong somewhere outside of aven, and I feel more closely tied to queer than straight...

I don't buy into " categories " whatever they are called, it's sexuality which is only a small part of someones individuality , it's like religion , someone may take an instant dislike without even knowing someone cause of their beliefs, it's the same for sexual orientation .

Sorry I'm rambling, but it's hard to put into words.

• 1 year later...

In my very humble opinion, queer is a word with so many different, varyingly broad definitions, that it's difficult to really categorize a group of people (asexuals) as queer unless there is a single definition of the word, universally accepted. This is simply not true. I believe that because of the diversity of the word "queer," if a person sees fit to identify as queer, queer they are. The most widely accepted definition of queer that I've found is "anything other than heterosexual." Common to almost all the definitions I've found is that heterosexuals (the supposedly sexual "norm") are not included in the term. That being said, I think that queerness is a trait individuals claim for themselves if they think if describes them. Personally I identify as queer because even though I live in very-liberal Hawaii, people at my young age are not as accepting of anything other than heterosexual within their own community. Sure, they completely support gay and lesbian rights - but it gets awkward when they're around. (I'm not saying I agree with this. It's just how I perceive my peers seeing it.) Add to that the fact that asexuality is rare and almost unheard of, and I think I'd find that my classmates are less than accepting, besides the fact that I'm so young it's hard to tell anyway.

As to whether or not we're part of the "queer movement," I think that individuals can if they want to be, but at this point there's no reason to include the whole ace community if we don't need to.

Just my two cents. I'm pretty young so I might not be addressing the real issue here. If that's the case, let me know and I'll be happy to add more opinions. :)

Thread closed due to necromancy.

Please do not revive threads that have been inactive for 6+ months.

RandomDent

Musings and Rantings Moderator.

Archived