• Cthuluite
    • Wiccan
    • Republican
    • SubGenius
    • Don't try to shove me in your categories
    • Other/Unlisted
    • Nihilist

This poll is closed to new votes

The "Wiccan" category should've been changed to "Pagan"! Wicca is a type of Paganism, but there are also other types... and that forces Pagans like me (but who are not Wiccan) to go under "Other". :mellow:

It's like having a box for "Protestant" but having no corresponding box for "Catholic"...

I choose 'other' as well because of the 'Wiccan' option. I am not Wiccan, but can be classified as a pagan that practices kitchen witchery. However, I still see religion as a tool to help us understand or hone our spiritual personality, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm the middle man. I live the best I can and don't really notice much. There could be a god, higher power, ultimate being and there might not be... We do not know, so i won't claim to know. I just believe their are possibilities.

There have been 19,000 posts to this thread. So much for people being disinterested in religion.

• 2 months later...
Typical Power

I'd like to see Bahai'i added to that list.

Not that I am myself, but my family is.

I'm A jedi... or at least that is what I put down when the census was taken.

In reality I consider myself to be switzerland when it comes to religion.

I am compleatly neutral with my thoughts on the subject, but I am always excited to learn and hear about other religions!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Other. I believe in a Creator who created all the 170 worlds. This creator had a son/daughter who lived in one of the worlds as an animal (probably not human, since humans only exist in one world and I don't believe it was this world). And according to my beliefs, when you die you come to another one of these worlds. So I believe someone who had seen the Creator's son/daughter told this to the humans in this world and the stories about Jesus started.

Strange, I find it quite depressing that Atheism is most popular :unsure:

Agreed. I am quite curious as to why.

I am Christian, but I can sympathize with anyone, and I've seen a few, who despise organized religion. Now, I'm not going to turn this into my personal soapbox or anything, but there's a quote that always get to me. No, it's not from the Bible or and pastor; it's from the movie Serenity. Shepherd Book says something to the effect of "I don't care what you believe, as long as you believe in something." I tend to take more of this stance with religion.

Personally, I don't consider myself a religious person, though most of my friends might argue. My focus is a relationship with my Deity, not some man-made set of "dos" and "don'ts."

Why do you find it depressing that there seem to be a good number of atheists here?

And who says atheists don't believe in something? (I know that wasn't what Solas said - it's just something I seem to hear a lot from non-atheists. The old bit about "oh, you don't believe in god; that means you have no morals and can commit all sorts of evil acts." Many atheists do believe in non-theistic things. Some atheists are even religious. As for myself, I am an atheist (non-religious). I don't believe in anything supernatural. I do believe in humanism, which includes feminism as far as I'm concerned. I believe in ethics, honesty, integrity, treating otehrs right, freedom, justice, and many other things. I believe the universe is a huge awesome place with many wonders and much beauty. That's just a little of what I believe and what I feel. I don't see whay any of that should be depressing.)

I know many moral atheists, to be honest. Also, I appreciate that you acknowledge that I'm not calling atheists out as "not believing in anything." I mean, it may honestly be just a difference of opinion, but I feel a need to have a connection with something outside this world, a God, a Creator, or a Heaven. I know that there is also nothing wrong with living in the present and striving for humanism. I believe every trait you listed above, daveb, and I can only hope that those are universal.

I have a friend from college who is agnostic. No one can say that she is a bad person, and in all sincerity, she is one of my dearest friends. She doesn't prescribe to a certain theology because there is so much hypocrisy surrounding "the Church" and other major forms of religious institutions. What bothers me, I guess, is the people who can so easily throw out any notion of a higher being just because people are flawed. I mean, humans as humans are never going to be perfect, and let's face it, Christianity has run itself through the dirt, as has Judaism, and Islam.

What I am wondering is, why choose to disavow the idea of a god? (Granted, I know the reverse question could be turned on me.) I don't find Atheism depressing so much as curious. Being grounded here on Earth is good, but do you ever wonder outside of the here and now?

(Also, I totally apologize if I'm coming off badly, I'm just asking for curiosity's sake; I'm not out to condemn anyone.)

let's face it, Christianity has run itself through the dirt, as has Judaism, and Islam.

That's a pretty blanket condemnation you're making. I'll deny it on behalf of Judaism; I'm sure others would on behalf of Christianity and Islam (and other religions you haven't mentioned).

let's face it, Christianity has run itself through the dirt, as has Judaism, and Islam.

That's a pretty blanket condemnation you're making. I'll deny it on behalf of Judaism; I'm sure others would on behalf of Christianity and Islam (and other religions you haven't mentioned).

People screw up, that's life. And isn't there an axiom about a mountain of good being undone by a grain of bad? As some real-word examples: Christianity has been condemned by many for the crusades, Catholicism has recently been judged harshly for some priests have inappropriate sexual contact with alter boys, and the Jewish nation has been in conflict for years over property rights.

There's is a big difference in saying that I am condemning nations of people and merely pointing out that everyone makes mistakes, and often its those mistakes that are remembered. I'm not saying that you personally are a bad Jew or are representing your religion poorly; I'm saying that those people exist.

People screw up, that's life. And isn't there an axiom about a mountain of good being undone by a grain of bad? As some real-word examples: Christianity has been condemned by many for the crusades, Catholicism has recently been judged harshly for some priests have inappropriate sexual contact with alter boys, and the Jewish nation has been in conflict for years over property rights.

There's is a big difference in saying that I am condemning nations of people and merely pointing out that everyone makes mistakes, and often its those mistakes that are remembered. I'm not saying that you personally are a bad Jew or are representing your religion poorly; I'm saying that those people exist.

You've now talked about three separate things: whole religions, individual humans, and countries. As far as Israel, every country on earth has been in conflict over property rights; that's nothing to do with religion. As far as individuals, there are bad people in every religion. As far as religions, every religion on earth has its extremists, including all three that you have mentioned.

So just what do you mean? But never mind, I don't think I want to know, because you're not making sense.

Just a note from the moderator:

This topic is/was intended to be a poll searching for any possible connection between asexuality and a strict religious upbringing.

It is not a place for religious debates or for telling people that their beliefs or conclusions don't make sense.

Please keep it on topic.

:cake: :cake:

-GB

I'm sort of between "Christian" and uncategorized. I identify as Christian and it's my main belief, but I disagree with a lot of common Christian ideas and believe in a lot of ideas from other religions. I generally just say that I am Christian, though, because a lot of people complain about things like that... :unsure:

• 6 months later...

voted: atheist

I was baptized as eastern orthodox christian when I was 1 year old (or so) because that's what people do here. Mother wasn't actually religious so she never forced us to go to church or to follow church when we were younger (me and my brother) when I was around 14-15 hiphop music got me into religion more I liked the way it was portrayed through hiphop music and how strong believers the artists were. I had also start reading and speaking about religion with other people, until I saw with my own eyes what people have done and how in the name of some god they controlled people. I start feeling caged so that was the beginning for getting my self out of that cage and eventually became atheist and I feel more free than ever.

Well, I'm being raised atheist, but I'm almost 100% sure I'm an agnostic atheist. Not too much of a difference, but there is one.

Same here.

I wobble back and forth between deist and nihilist, but I typically lean towards deism and nihilism is more of a philosophy than a religion, so I planned to put deism. Needless to say, it wasn't up there and nihilism was. :huh: This has certainly given me something to ponder. :wacko:

Evangelical Christian, of the northern US type. I also like to read up on Taoism

I don't consider myself atheist, but I also don't have much religious views on anything.

House of Chimeras

I’m an animist/totemist. I work with totem animals and use animal imagery greatly over all.

• 4 weeks later...
Vampyremage

I chose other/unlisted. I'm a spiritual theistic satanist. Most of the stereotypes surrounding Satanism are not true and although I consider myself a Satanist, it is not of the sort that is the Christian opposite, so to speak. I'm essentially a polytheist whose chosen deity is Satan.

I am what's called a "soft" agnostic. I don't know but I won't discount the possibility of their being a god or gods altogether either. I have recently developed an interest in embracing what Native American I have in me and pursuing their spirituality. We have several tribes in/near Las Vegas but I am hesitant to do it as every time I try and pursue a religion or spiritual path, I normally become uniterested after some time. This is usually because I feel disconnected from some part of the religion.. Like I was studying Wicca but I felt I wasn't 'earth friendly' enough. Also, I am lazy and rituals took a lot of work for me. Ha.

Archived