• Cthuluite
    • Wiccan
    • Republican
    • SubGenius
    • Don't try to shove me in your categories
    • Other/Unlisted
    • Nihilist

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm agnostic. Since a lot of people don't understand the difference between atheism and agnosticism: Atheism is believing there is no God, agnosticism is believing it's impossible to know if there is a God or not. That is a very important distinction to me.

That may be, but I don't think agnosticism is a category by itself. I think one is either an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. You either believe in god or you don't.

Not trying to hound you or anything, just saying. Myself, I'm an agnostic atheist. :)

I put "other" because what I could call my religion or philosophy or way of living or everything at the same time is Art.

On the other hand, I quote this lyrics by The Strokes:

"Countless odd religions, too

It doesn't matter which you choose (oh no)

One stubborn way to turn your back (oh-ho)

This I've tried and now refuse (oh-ho)"

Arnkelbjorn

Heathen dedicated to Loki, Throw in the LaVayen Satanism philosophy and you've got my religious ideals in a nutshell. As such, I answer to the names Heathen, Lokean, and Satanist.

Agnostic nihilist, but I put agnostic because I don't really see being nihilist as a religion...

• 2 years later...
SilverCandleKid

Hypothetical pagan/Wiccan, truthful atheist. If that makes sense. It's kinda hard to explain.

Jew. And wow, there are 15 of us! I didn't know there were that many Jews on AVEN.

Other/Unlisted (None)

Shame on those who voted atheism! Atheism is not a religion.

Mm... atheism. I would class atheism as a religious attitude, but overall I think it fits into the same grey area that Buddhism does. I think it's important to bring up in religious discussions and that it certainly has a place in catalogues of religious beliefs, if only to reiterate that theism is not the only possibility.

If we're going more into detail, I am a secular humanist.

Atheism is no more a religion than 'pro-life' is a political ideology. No grey area about it.

Ew, I picked new ager without thinking much. I'm not Wiccan. Should have picked other.

I presume that this "republican" item has nothing to do with the the tradition of French Revolution, exported to many countries, including Spain. There are many people for whom a secular republic is the promised land.

Wow, old thread. It seems like it would be more effective to have threads detailing religion periodically and be closed after a certain length of time (a longitudinal study that extends over years doesn't make sense), as obviously this information is no longer relevant - many people who have voted could have changed their religion since voting.

Regardless, I voted "Other". I still am affected by my religious history, but continue to maintain a healthy skepticism... and ultimately don't give a damn.

Wow, old thread. It seems like it would be more effective to have threads detailing religion periodically and be closed after a certain length of time (a longitudinal study that extends over years doesn't make sense), as obviously this information is no longer relevant - many people who have voted could have changed their religion since voting.

I'm one of those case in point! At the time I first posted in this thread I had begun my journey through a kind of bizarre agnosticism that would eventually lead me to be the atheist I am today. It's interesting to read my posts now. I still adamantly cling to the notion of a "god" existing, but I hadn't reached the conclusion that what I believed this God to be hardly suited the word I ascribed to it. "Impersonal supernatural force" may have been closer to the mark.

AyatollahCarebear

"There is no fire like lust and no crime like hatred. There is no ill like the aggregates and no bliss higher than peace."

Those are my beliefs, easily summarized. The actual name is of little importance.

Cupcake_Master

I'm an agnostic Buddhist,thank you very much.

I don't really care about religion,though. It doesn't pass my mind much.

• 1 month later...

I put Buddhist because I don't try to fit the philosophy, it pretty much fits me. ^_^ What I want to do now is track down an actual Buddhist and talk to them (as in face to face so that I can have a resident Buddhist to tell me the "lay of the land" or whatever) about it, because I have had little luck in finding out what the Buddhist "climate" is near where I am living.

TheMelbourneMethod

I put Christian, but my beliefs thereupon are so wildly interperetive as to be unrecognizable to most mainstream Christians. To a certain degree I believe in a purposeless chaotic universe with a God that perpetuates that system. And Jesus fits in their somewhere too, though I mostly concern myself with the Holy Spirit. My beliefs in "justice" and just what that is, if it exists, are a little involved to go into right now, but they're severely impacted by my relatively liberal stance on the symbolism/literalism of the bible. If any of that makes any sense. Still, I was raised Lutheran and that's what I tell people I am. I am, too, I guess, with crazy expansions, logical reinterperetations, etc.

Very very strong atheist. There's very little that could convince me of a god in the supernatural sense and when you get to that ballpark you have to start asking what is a god and what is a very very powerful non-human life form and what is the difference?

Q from Star Trek, for example, could easily be seen as a god if he hadn't been presented as a member of an advanced species. You catch my drift?

But until some strange proof comes along that proves there is a god, and I seriously doubt that'll ever happen, I'm an atheist. Some atheists just lack a belief in god. Some actively disbelieve in god. I'm in the second group, mostly because of the above.

That said a lovely pair of Mormons came around a couple months back. Had a nice conversation with them, them being all theological and me being all scientific and it was nice. Got onto the topic of living for eternity and what it'd be like - I'm of the opinion it'd be horrific and she didn't and there was a fun debate there until I had to leave to go to a meeting down town. Though there's a thread around here some place for that topic - it's an interesting one.

But yes, atheist. And I'll stop babbling now except to say one of my fave phrases ever:

Nothing is beyond the realms of science, merely what we know of it.

Guest member25959

Very much Atheist.

Me and my older sister were baptised as Methodist (a form of Protestant, I believe?), but my younger sister wasn't because my religious grandparents had died before she was born. Yup, we were baptised in order to satisfy my grandparents, :P

• 1 month later...

I don't like using labels, but I'm a Christian. Yanno, one of those "true ones" that actually does what we're supposed to do. I'm just sarcastic and don't take life as seriously as most people.

I'm taken care of- what more can I ask for?

a little bit of everything, a little bit of nothing

I believe all religions are true in the same way they are all illusions

So..I dont know, Im just me dude !

I am a Protestant Christian and I worship formally at a Lutheran church, though not through a regular worship service. There's no singing or reciting, just reading and discussing the Bible.

Archived