• Cthuluite
    • Wiccan
    • Republican
    • SubGenius
    • Don't try to shove me in your categories
    • Other/Unlisted
    • Nihilist

This poll is closed to new votes

I would say I'm agnostic. I do not think I take things in the bible for actual account. A lot of things in the bible have already be defied, like evolution for example. I bet they are just fairy tales anyway. I used to be a firm believer in God when I was younger, but now I kind of doubt his existence. I've being reading some peoples posts on this site as well as posts on sites such as athiest boards, and I have less faith in religion than I did when I was younger.

I found certain stuff in the bible that contradicted itself and was questionable. For example, the bible seemed for the most part farfetched and protrayed God as a malicious deity. I heard in the bible from other sources that God killed over 2 million people where Satan killed only 10 people. That made Satan seem like the good guy in comparison. God killed people for some of the stupidest reasons too.

Sometimes, I wonder why Christians who believe in the bible word for word are not shocked by it. I guess they try to make it fit in their minds the way they want to to make sense.

I think as we get older and actually used more logic, we tend to move away from religion. We actually start to use are minds on our own, except, perhaps, some extremely religious people who were basically brainwashed into believing something when they were young. It is hard to break some beliefs that were instilled in you when you were younger.

I have actually rearched Christianity and other religions, and I have come to a conclusion that they were written by men and not influenced by a deity. I recently learn that Christianity and other religions like it, such as, Judaism, Islam, and Catholicism were influenced by Zoroastrianism, which predates all recorded religions by at least around a thousand years.

Zoroastrianism was founded by a Iranian phophet and philosopher by the name of Zoroaster around the 6th century B.C. The religion believe that there was only one God, Ahuru Mazda. Religions such as Christianity are pretty similar to it and makes me wonder if Christianity and other religions ripped off of it, which I think so.

As for religion being evil and used for wrong doing, I think it can be. It has been used for centuries to control the masses, but this wasn't the inital reason that religion was invented. I think religion was initialy created to make sense of the world and create order. For example, some people wondered why the sun came up and went down every night, or what caused lightning. They would think that a God such as Zeus would thrown lightning bolts from the sky.

Now, science can explain alot of things that couldn't be explained before, but people still use the supernatural to explain certain things. Not that I will discredit the supernatural completely. In fact, I will not discredit the existence of a God because you never know. Anything is possible in the world. Science can only uncover so much, but I think there are great mysteries in the world yet to be discovered, such as alien life, which I think there may be.

I will not say there is no God, but if there is, I do not think he is the God in the way it was described in the bible.

I think as we get older and actually used more logic, we tend to move away from religion. We actually start to use are minds on our own, except, perhaps, some extremely religious people who were basically brainwashed into believing something when they were young.

Nope. Some of us keep our open minds (which we've always had) and are still religious.

I recently learn that Christianity and other religions like it, such as, Judaism, Islam, and Catholicism were influenced by Zoroastrianism, which predates all recorded religions by at least around a thousand years.

Zoroastrianism was founded by a Iranian phophet and philosopher by the name of Zoroaster around the 6th century B.C.

Judaism's been around since about 1,500 BC, way before Zoroastrianism. And Catholicism is the first Christianity, not a religion "like it".

I think religion was initialy created to make sense of the world and create order. For example, some people wondered why the sun came up and went down every night, or what caused lightning. They would think that a God such as Zeus would thrown lightning bolts from the sky.

Probably true.

I will not say there is no God, but if there is, I do not think he is the God in the way it was described in the bible.

Some religions understand that.

• 2 months later...
Fluttershy

I really like Buddhism from what I know of it, but I don't think I know enough about it to classify myself as a Buddhist yet, so for now I'm an agnostic atheist.

SquirrelCat

Religion to me is complicated...

I'm Agnostic Theravada Buddhist, I don't see Buddha as God but as a source of inspiration, nothing more, nothing less.

I prefer a pragmatic approach to life, not a religious.

Member33070

Eclectic pantheist...

I probably fit in the New Age blob...but I voted Other just because some of it bleeds outside of that.

I ticked the atheist box, although I was bit perplexed. Atheism isn't a religion. Shouldn't it be as none?

The Warden

I ticked the atheist box, although I was bit perplexed. Atheism isn't a religion. Shouldn't it be as none?

Actually I would debate it is.

Firstly you believe that there is no God. There is no fact. There is no skew to either side - science is neutral on this subject.

Not only that but most have a set rules that you believe even if there is or is not evidence for it.

Eg.

- I believe evolution proves there is no God.

- I believe the big bang proves that there is no God.

Not only that but you actually create what you think what "God" is meant to be. For example, if you believe God is physical then you can use X-Y-Z as evidence for yourself. Or you could be like me and believe that is there was a deity he would be immaterial - which is non-physical and thus all mention of science becomes redundant.

You have a set belief system based on your perceptions and beliefs just like anyone else in any other religion - most importantly you have faith.

Unlike being asexual - which is where you have the PHYSICAL - PROVEN LACK of sexuality - being an atheist you base on faith and perceptions and basically substitute God with no God.

Not only that but what you percieve religion as well. Some see it as a law you have to follow. Some say that it is a belief in a deity. But I personally believe that religion is a set series of belief systems that each person has that relates to their place in the universe.

Any who - my opinion. These augments should really be posted else where.

My beliefs?

Christianity turned me atheist - Atheism turned me Unitarian. I'm happy with that though my beliefs are not very conventional - mostly quantum physics/ philosophy based.

Kurai-Tenshi_Niks

I was baptised and raised as a Christian (Catholic) but now I don't really have a specific belief.

I believe in certain aspects of Christianity, but I also believe in many aspects of Buddhism too.

Comfort In Delirium

since when is 'republican' a religion lol

Christian here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
HavenHamilton

Put Atheist, but I like that 'I dunno, I'm just me, dude' option.

I don't like it that people use their religion to define them. It bugs the hell out of me when people say 'Christian child' or 'Muslim girl' as tough they're old enough to make a decision about something so big in the first place!

:mad:

The Vampire Queen

Christian, but not religious. I hold to the ethical teachings of Jesus, but I'm choosing not to associate with mainstream "Christianity" as I feel the religion has strayed very far from the ideals and lifestyle presented by Jesus.

since when is 'republican' a religion lol

Since the 1980s in the USA.

Archived