So, who is in their 20s and considers themself "older"

toujours

Guest fridayoak

I considered myself "old" at 23 and a half (for some reason that's when it hit me!). Now when I see uni students around town they almost look like children. Apparently though I look young for my age (I'm 27).

I'm 29 but I look more like 40, and I have a career and a settled life, and I work mostly with high-school students half my age, and as far as I can tell I'm a grown-up. But I don't feel like a grown-up. I always thought being a grown-up would feel different than what came before, some kind of sea change. Now I don't know.

Uni students look like children no matter what age you're looking at them from.

Uni students look like very old people if you're 8 years old. I remember :P

I'm 27. I consider myself older. I've also considered myself an "adult" since I was 12. Just not in the legal sense. I've always related better to people older than myself when compared to my peers. My peers tend to confuse me. Maybe that was the raging hormones that I didn't have :rolleyes: . I don't really post much in the older A's forum, but I lurk around here some.

And I've always been really bad at guessing peoples ages. :P

I just turned 20.

I have a feeling that I'm one of those uni students who look like children. Well, maybe not as young as like a 10 year old...what I mean is that I think I look more like a teenager than I do a twenty-something adult. I look younger than a quite a few of my peers.

Then again, it's all relative. When I was in year 1 even the year 6 kids looked old. When I started going to high school the primary kids looked puny but the senior high school kids looked so old and mature. Now I'm at uni...and everyone I knew from school still look (to me) like they're still the same. They don't look old. But in reality, they obviously do look older than they would have looked when we were all in school.

Adm_Twister_JCOM

I'm 21 and have always felt way older than I really am. Currently, my mental age is 72 and I sure feel it every day.

Uni students look like children because they act like them. I've been doing a comparison study (well, looking at the younglings hanging round campus, and asking myself if I've seen the students doing the same thing... and I have).

Guest Fosco

It's the one who hang around Tesco or in bus shelters that get me, then complain cause their bored. As if all other bus shelters double up as a multi screen cinema or theme park, and theirs doesn't.

I'm 20, been accused of being in my mid to late 20's a few times, I think I look about my age personally, don't want to get older though.

kitchenwitch

I'm 24, almost 25, and I consider myself enough of an "older" asexual to lurk on this side of the forum.

I'd be interested to know what the median age of AVENers is -- does anyone have any stats on that? /statgeek

I'm 24, almost 25, and I consider myself enough of an "older" asexual to lurk on this side of the forum.

I'd be interested to know what the median age of AVENers is -- does anyone have any stats on that? /statgeek

In the census forum there is a how old are you forum with stats:

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=24976

This older geek was all excited to say I was in my 20's ... in hex. But dang it all, I'm 30 in hex now. Geez.

For non geeks ... hex is base 16. OK ... I'm 28 in base 20.

OK ... sort of totally pointless post but at least I'm entertaining myself.

Cathy

der Einrad
I'm 29, BTW.

29 is an awesome age. I've been 29 for six years.

I'm almost 25. However, I think I've felt about 14 for my entire life.

I've just turned 30 and do not consider myself old at all. But then I've always been a bit old fashioned so am quite often the youngest in a hobby group eg hiking, botany, Scottish country dancing (yes, really!). If you think and feel young then that's enough, I know plenty of people 60+ who subscribe to that. All very simple to say it's all in the mind, but if you're trying to change your mindset that could be a bit more of a challenge!

I'm 29, BTW.

LOL.

I'm 29, BTW.

Hahaha, I know what you mean! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 27, but sometimes feel like I'm "older" in this space since overall I'm more secure about and less confused by/bothered by my asexuality than many of the posters on Aven (or so it feels!). I know how "my mileage varies," so to speak. Being out of school and in the professional world also contributes to this sense of "older."

I'm 27, but sometimes feel like I'm "older" in this space since overall I'm more secure about and less confused by/bothered by my asexuality than many of the posters on Aven (or so it feels!). I know how "my mileage varies," so to speak. Being out of school and in the professional world also contributes to this sense of "older."

And in my case it's the opposite because I don't work....

Miss_Shy_Newcastle

I'm 28, and have always felt much older (tho not sure what age specifically). Generally speaking, I tend to get on with people older than myself, although I do have some friends my own age and younger.

I'm 20 and only recently have I stopped believing I'm 18 (don't ask). I consider myself DIFFERENT from my peers, but not older. I do tend to find a lot of my peers immature though, especially when you see them having screaming contests or whatever in the local park (maybe it's just my local park that attracts weirdos?)

The first time I realised I was adult though was when I finished college and realised I needed to get a job. A JOB! Arrrggggghhhhh! rofl

I'm 20 and only recently have I stopped believing I'm 18 (don't ask). I consider myself DIFFERENT from my peers, but not older. I do tend to find a lot of my peers immature though, especially when you see them having screaming contests or whatever in the local park (maybe it's just my local park that attracts weirdos?)

The first time I realised I was adult though was when I finished college and realised I needed to get a job. A JOB! Arrrggggghhhhh! rofl

You finished college at 20? Way to go! Oh, and I am at the other end of the spectrum...I can retire in five years. If I live that long.

I'm 28, but I act like a kid...not a teenager, a kid! :P

I have accomplished grown up things though, such as completing college and getting a Bachelors Degree. Traveling around the world...well, okay just to Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, for a past employer.

Other than that, I hardly consider myself older, but of course there is nothing wrong if you do consider yourself older.

rofl! No, I was 18 when I finished college. I'm on incapacity benefits at the moment but I don't want to be, so I'm trying to sort out some way of getting my own income.

Apocolypstick

Hi *waves*

Just wanted to put myself in the Old 20-somethings group.

I'm 28 going on 45 LOL and have been for as long as I remember (that's being older than my years, and not 28 LOL). My parents always told me when I was growing up that I was an old soul.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Checked out the census here... and wow. For asexual standards I am old at 31. Ancient really.

I guess asexuals die young? I don't think the "older people don't use the internet" thing can really be used any more.

Checked out the census here... and wow. For asexual standards I am old at 31. Ancient really.

I guess asexuals die young? I don't think the "older people don't use the internet" thing can really be used any more.

Oh yes it can. There are probably tons of asexuals 40+ who don't really realize they're asexual. There's nothing about asexuality to make you die young (probably you weren't serious).

And many people 40+ don't do on-line forums. If by census you mean this particular thread, not too many older asexuals on AVEN will post in a thread for people in their 20s. (I'm not hindered from posting anywhere!)

Archived