Gender Stereotypes

KayleeSaeihr

School, UK...

PE, Primary School. We were in our normal classes, mixed male and female, certainly for most of the time. Football, quick cricket, apparatus (climbing frames, that sort of thing), music and movement (dance-ish). I don't remember doing netball (which I was far too short for) with the lads, so I don't know what they were doing at that time. We must have merged the year-groups then resplit on gender lines near the end of my time there. I know I played football with the lads, as I kicked it between their legs.

PE, Secondary school, first three years. Split by gender, enforced girly sports. Later, choice of three exercises with the lads, so I went for football again (not being flexible enough for the others). Male PE teacher not sure about females playing football, and I was entirely fine with that... (and generally skipped PE to "do" my technology project, or just hide in the computers more accurately...)

Technologies. There were only two female bodied people signed up for my technology group, and one of them only turned up twice. Apparently I missed the memo that the only people to bother going for that one was people who wished to cause chaos. There was no official gender splitting for technology, but there weren't many guys in textiles or food, and there was me in plasticwork (like woodwork, only not).

Uniform, primary school: Definite gender differences. No trousers or shorts for females, no skirts for males. Secondary school: Females allowed trousers, no skirts for males. Top halves nigh-on identical, both places.

Archived