Question for asexual transexuals

7B9090

I've been wondering about the same, to be honest...

T is a bad idea for most neutrois, depending onw hat you want. In the words of neutrois.0catch.com: Neutrois are trying to lose sexual characteristics, not add new ones.

I was only going to take it when I thought it was the only way to get top surgery- and now I'm glad I didn't. I wouldn't want the increased hair, certainly wouldn't want the increased growth, and don't really want a deeper voice. I'm actually fine with how people treat me overall, when mom isn't involved I very rarely get she'd, ma'am'd, or anything else- I'm actually excellent at avoiding pronouns and gender-specific terms. The only change I wanted was the distribution of fat, and I've got that from herbal supplements. And, if your curious, I'll give my experiences on those.

Disclaimer: These are MY EXPERIENCES. I do not advocate these treatments, it is dangerous and unwise to mess with this on your own, and can be JUST AS DANGEROUS as black market hormones. Everyone is different, many people will react differently- I in no way endorse these. I do not suggest anyone try them! I'm just sharing what happened to me. If you do decide to try something like this, be smart! Follow the instructions, do your own research to make sure it's right for you, listen to your body, and talk to your doctor! If you've started on them, and start to feel funny- then stop, don't ignore it when your body's telling you there's a problem!

If you have stomach problems, I definitely advise you to TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. A lot of these can be hard on my stomach if I take them when it's particularly upset, the sasparilla was even when I was fine. A lower dose seems to help- but it can still be a problem.

Tribulus Terrestris: I first tried this on a transguy's recomendation. Their way of proving it was working was an increased libido- which I did get. Of course, it turns out it's an ingredient in those "Male Enhancement" formulas, so that doesn't surprise me (I was tempted to order one of them to try, but god do I hate the commercials). I think it made it easier for me to "level up" at the gym (go to the next weight/whatever), but it might be that I had been going enough that my body was finally starting to react to the exercise. I was on tribulus from about april/may to early November- so about 6 months. No notable changes in facial hair/body/etc.

Sasparilla: Sasparilla was way too strong for me. With tribulus I took 2 at lunch every day (the recommended dosage), I tried it with sasparilla (again, recommended dosage) and threw up lunch for a week before I realized what was the cause. So I cut back to 1. I think it kicked my metabolism into gear, at least at first, but that and the usual 2 week delay were the only real differences. I was on this from early November until early-mid February.

ZMA: Guy at the Vitamin Shoppe suggested it. It's supposed to decrease estrogen, and something to do with human growth hormone. didn't notice a serious difference, but it seemed to soothe my stomach.

Tribuloid: Is designed to, in biomales, increase T and decrease estrogen. I tried taking it for awhile, at first with sasparilla and then alone, pretty average results.

I talked to a few people at the Vitamin Shoppe about what I wanted, got a few recomendations, and finally tried it. This is what actually worked:

1 Tribuloid + 2 DHEA daily -> I was on this for just over a month, noticed the changes in just under a month. Less curves, a bit of body hair, and mild facial hair growth. I found one notable chest hair (whcih I immediately plucked out of habit), and the hair on my torso seemed to get thicker. I believe if I kept on that, the changes would've continued, but I stopped so can't be sure. The tribuloid decreases estrogen and increases testosterone, the DHEA warns that it can cause facial hair in women.

I cut down to 1 tribuloid and 1 DHEA, which is actually half the recomended dose for each- but since that's recomended for male bodies, and that's not what I'm after, and I was taking two things, it seems to work, but I forget to take it half the time.

Money wise- they're all more expensive than injectable T, from what I can tell. I also take a multivitamin every day and try to take other dietary supplements when I feel like I need them. As I mentioned already: I'm not suggesting this, merely giving my experiences. Be smart, and if you have any concerns: Talk to your doctor!

Granted, I've been on T for two weeks, so I obviously haven't noticed any changes yet....

I did have an amusing conversation with one of the doctors, though, and her insisting that I would get really really really really horny on T. And not understanding that I'm asexual so it wouldn't bother me. It was very funny.

I did have an amusing conversation with one of the doctors, though, and her insisting that I would get really really really really horny on T. And not understanding that I'm asexual so it wouldn't bother me. It was very funny.

Funny, being asexual makes it bother me even more. I'm sitting there going "for the last time, I'm not sexually attracted or interested- you have no purpose, stop being a bitch and chill out, you're not getting sex!" while my genitals go "SEX NAO PLZ"

No problem, sorry for not clarifying. Yeah, "T" refers to testosterone. :) (And I've seen "E" sometimes used for estrogen, etc.)

No problem, sorry for not clarifying. Yeah, "T" refers to testosterone. :) (And I've seen "E" sometimes used for estrogen, etc.)

I've also seen "O" for oestrogen.

cI understand this. I've been experimenting with gender expressions more lately, and NOT living with my parents has helped a lot. Having a supportive roommate and friends who I can OPENLY talk to about this anytime something lingers on my mind helps a lot. I've been seeing a doctor about my gender identity, and his and his guest doctor's comments were that, basically, I was at a very difficult point in my life. A cross roads between genders. And true that. They don't allow surgery before T, yet I met someone who had. So I need to speak with them again about how they managed that.

I don't want a male chest, so I'm trying to get a mastectomy medically rather than through risk another close-minded gender therapist. I asked a doctor- and they said it is a potential option because the problem with my breast pain hasn't reacted to treatment, so I'm hoping that'll happen.

If you don't want a particularly male body- it is an option. But keep in mind a simple mastectomy, even if it makes my chest look weird and even though I don't want nipples reattached, is fine for me by my understanding. A lot of people wouldn't be okay with that.

But back to the gender exploration bit. I'm discovering that body hair isn't turning to be as bad/annoying a thing as I used to think. In fact, I no longer rid myself of it.

I stopped shaving, don't really feel like it, but I'd still be annoyed if my arms got hairy. I more laid off the Tribuloid/DHEA a bit because I don't want to risk any permanent effects I might later regret more than because I was against body hair.

My inner women bits can go to hell, no way this body is having children

Mine'll have one, unless my uterus gets pissy and decides "Know what's a cool idea? TWINS!". But right after I'm getting the damn organ out. Well, not right-right after. But I certainly don't want to keep it any longer'n I have to.

I was monkeying around in Montreal last night with friends (jumping around to and from ledges, twirling, etc). Now, this is SOMETHING that didn't come out of me NATURALLY since before my puberty, way back in the middle of elementary school. I was (and still am) very happy. I should always have been this grasshopper. This is me.

I used to do that a lot, too. It was fun. I still walk on ledges when I can, and do the XKCD thing of making up weird rules for how to walk.

I bet. I know on the package of T the doc gave me it insists it boosts sex drive. I laugh at that, at least I want to. Which is why I began this thread in the hopes of getting answers from people who are taking HT and who are asexual. However, if you do notice anything mood wise, please share :) Even if it's in a month. I'm curious.

As I mentioned, it increased my libido. That doesn't change my asexuality. And it's been over a year, so it's pretty natural to me now. You get used to it after awhile. Or maybe it went back down with the tribuloid/DHEA combo. I noticed some differences.

oneofthesun
Also, for FtMs and FtNs, how did taking T feel for you? I don't necessarily mean physical changes, I mean emotionally. How did you react to it? What immediate changes did you feel? What long term changes?

It put me on a level plane emotionally. Before that I was a basket case, up and down all the time, complete with murderous rampages before my period (for which I almost got fired once). I still notice that I'm more more lonely/emotional in when I'm due from my shot. In that respect T has actually made me more asexual. On the other hand, it does definitely increase sex drive. It hasn't made me sexual, but I sometimes think that if someone caught me when it was really bad I would try sex.

I never did have any roid rage, everybody says I'm more pleasant to deal with now than I was before. T also gives you more energy which is really nice.

Does one need breast pain in order to get a mastectomy?

No, but it helps when you need insurance to help pay for it. It gives a stronger argument that it is a medical issue, and not just "cosmetic".

Min Farshaw

I'm MtF, and hormone therapy didn't affect my asexuality at all. It gave me crazy mood swings and the amazing ability to burst into tears for any reason at all (thankfully all that levelled out!), but no desire for sex. I had no idea what asexuality was at the time, and no idea other people felt the same as I did, so there was always the hope for me that it was all tied up with my gender identity, and that getting to work on one problem would somehow fix the other.

I'm MtF

Oh, wow. I am not sure if I knew that.

*hugs*

and hormone therapy didn't affect my asexuality at all.

That is a good answer to a good question. 8)

It gave me crazy mood swings and the amazing ability to burst into tears for any reason at all

Yeah, isn't that the truth? Estrogen and moodiness, especially the ability to cry. But that is not totally a bad thing, no?

(thankfully all that levelled out!), but no desire for sex. I had no idea what asexuality was at the time, and no idea other people felt the same as I did, so there was always the hope for me that it was all tied up with my gender identity, and that getting to work on one problem would somehow fix the other.

Quite an interesting topic. There is certainly the question whether HRT (or surgery, such as ochiectomy, oophorectomy, etc.) can affect ones sexuality. But I have noticed that quite a number of TS people are asexual--to begin with and afterwards. Some really do become sexual after surgery, which makes sense, actually, but empirically, I have noticed that asexuality and Benjamin's Syndrome (a.k.a., GID) often accompany one another.

Min Farshaw
It gave me crazy mood swings and the amazing ability to burst into tears for any reason at all

Yeah, isn't that the truth? Estrogen and moodiness, especially the ability to cry. But that is not totally a bad thing, no?

Within reason! There were a few occasions where all someone had to do was look at me a little funny and I'd be in tears! :lol:

But it is interesting that before starting hormones, I'd never once cried while watching a sad film or something. Now I just can't stop myself. :blush:

mort paradis
Been wondering how hormone therapy affected your asexuality, if at all. Did you identify as asexual before HT? After HT? I'm curious to know for FtM, MtF and neutrois who are taking hormones, or have in the past (even if you aren't now).

Also, for FtMs and FtNs, how did taking T feel for you? I don't necessarily mean physical changes, I mean emotionally. How did you react to it? What immediate changes did you feel? What long term changes?

About two years ago, I was on a low dose of testosterone cream or almost 3 months (It was intended to be a 2 month dose but I used less than the doc prescribed).

First off, T did not give me any libido at all. It had no affect on my asexuality except to help point me in the direction of asexuality (this was before I started identifying as asexual, I had been asexual the whole time, but I didn't know it). It also did not make me more aggressive.

From what others said of my moods, I was a lot happier. From what I observed of my moods, the day I started it I had a breakdown because I wasn't ready for my body to change, I was more outgoing, but that could of been because I recently moved and could be socially fully as a male without interacting with people who knew me before. Now the problem was, that my girlfriend* didn't accept the changes and reacted badly to them, and thus I started to become more depressed, and so when I ran out I was too apathetic to pursue a refill that never came through. I also had stopped being able to see a therapist around the time I started hormones, so I wasn't able to talk about the situation with anyone.

For physical changes, I had just started the facial hair growth process. My peach fuzz became longer, and I had a couple dark hairs pop up. My voice also started changing, it had reached the stage where my voice would occasionally break or crack, which it still does. My voice is also deeper than what it used to be, which I never really noticed until I talked on the phone with my relatives a few weeks ago who haven't seen me since before all this and they said they didn't even recognize me when I had left them a message on the phone.

I think that about sums it up.

First off, T did not give me any libido at all. It had no affect on my asexuality except to help point me in the direction of asexuality (this was before I started identifying as asexual, I had been asexual the whole time, but I didn't know it). It also did not make me more aggressive.

This is a very valuable comment for me, thanks :)

Archived