Wait, why would pirates want to prevent global warming?

There is scientific evidence to support it :P

piratesarecool4.gif

Some funny stuff on the rest of the site Church of teh Flying Spaghetti Monster

One of my favourites is the "Eight I'd Rather You Didn'ts". Full background from Wiki

While brooding atop Mount Salsa because he couldn't find a pirate ship, Mosey the Pirate captain received some advice from the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the form of ten stone tablets. These were called the "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts" by the FSM, the "Commandments" by Mosey, and the "Condiments" by his Pirate gang. While there were originally ten "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts", two were dropped on the way back down the mountain, with eight remaining. This event "partly accounts for Pastafarians' flimsy moral standards." The FSM's commandments address the treatment of people of other faiths, worship of the FSM, sexual conduct, and nutrition. The morals and standards expressed by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the deity of pastafarians, supposedly said that the simple language of the Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts" makes them easy to understand for anyone while still maintaining an accurate portrayal of the beliefs and values he'd like his followers to keep in mind.

The Eight "I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts

1. I'd really rather you didn't act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don't believe in me, that's okay. Really, I'm not that vain. Besides, this isn't about them so don't change the subject.

2. I'd really rather you didn't use my existence as a means to oppress, subjugate, punish, eviscerate, and/or, you know, be mean to others. I don't require sacrifices, and purity is for drinking water, not people.

3. I'd really rather you didn't judge people for the way they look, or how they dress, or the way they talk, or, well, just play nice, okay? Oh, and get this into your thick heads: woman = person. man = person. Samey-Samey. One is not better than the other, unless we're talking about fashion and I'm sorry, but I gave that to women and some guys who know the difference between teal and fuchsia.

4. I'd really rather you didn't indulge in conduct that offends yourself, or your willing, consenting partner of legal age AND mental maturity. As for anyone who might object, I think the expression is "go fuck yourself," unless they find that offensive in which case they can turn off the TV for once and go on a walk for a change.

5. I'd really rather you didn't challenge the bigoted, misogynistic, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the bastards.

6. I'd really rather you didn't build multi-million dollar churches / temples / mosques / shrines to my noodly goodness when the money could be better spent (take your pick):

1. Ending poverty

2. Curing diseases

3. Living in peace, loving with passion, and lowering the cost of cable

I might be a complex-carbohydrate omniscient being, but I enjoy the simple things in life. I ought to know. I AM the creator.

7. I'd really rather you didn't go around telling people I talk to you. You're not that interesting. Get over yourself. And I told you to love your fellow man, can't you take a hint?

8. I'd really rather you didn't do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you are into, um, stuff that uses a lot of leather/lubricant/Las Vegas. If the other person is into it, however (pursuant to #4), then have at it, take pictures, and for the love of Mike, wear a CONDOM! Honestly, it's a piece of rubber. If I didn't want it to feel good when you did it I would have added spikes, or something.

RAmen

• 6 months later...
Dylan-Michael

I vote for this: Flag_Picture.jpg

It's just a High school flag.

I'm not sure it's blue or Purple, being Colour-blind and all.

Synthesthetic

Hmn...I'd third the Jolly roger! But I say we add cake somewhere...

(Yay for fellow pastafarians)

Looks blue to me, but I ALWAYS get into blue/purple arguments, so it's not just you. :P (Unless you actually are legit. colour blind, in which case, cake. :cake:)

But, I think it'd be cuter with two colours (because of romantic and aromantic.)

PLEASE excuse the literal 2 minute shooping here:

ra4wug.png

Or maybe it's too complex? ^^

Dylan-Michael
Looks blue to me, but I ALWAYS get into blue/purple arguments, so it's not just you. :P (Unless you actually are legit. colour blind, in which case, cake. :cake:)

But, I think it'd be cuter with two colours (because of romantic and aromantic.)

ra4wug.png

I am a Legit Colour-Blind person. ^_^

ra4wug.png

I am a Legit Colour-Blind person. ^_^

I..wonder if I may ask this..

Can you see the difference in my flag? :blush:

Since the AVEN symbol is our symbol, it makes sense to have it on a flag... And I never noticed that it wasn't as purple as I thought it was until I tried to make it into a little flag it looked so grey... I preferred it when I thought it was purple!

As it happens, I'm really in to flags. They call us vexillologists. Flag freaks.

There are "rules" to making flags. Nturally, those rules are broken all the time, in lots of flags all over the world. But the "rules" such as they are all relate to making a flag aesthetically pleasing. And one thing you can't really do is have a gradient (like in the AVEN triangle).

Also, when adding symbology, you need to remember what the flag is representing. It doesn't represent just AVEN members. The idea is to make something for all Asexuals. So I think the AVEN triangle doesn't fit.

I very much like the spade surrounded by vertical bars. I think that would be a good fit. But, if anyone is interested, here are a few other designs I came up with, and explanations for each:

opt2.png

Using the "Black Ring" motif, in reference to a black ring on the right middle finger representing asexuality.

opt3.png

The pink and blue boxes represent the genders, and the black cross representing asexuality. Note that the genders aren't physically touching. See what I'm going after? You may wonder why the gender boxes don't alternate colors. It's because I wanted to show a divide with both homosexual and heterosexual physical interaction.

opt4.png

The same theme as before, but this one with a more aesthetically pleasing white cross instead of a black one. I personally think the black one is more symbolic (because of the black ring) but white might look better.

opt5.png

A compromise. This is called fibrillation. I think it's aesthetically very nice.

opt6.png

And finally, returning to the black ring theme, I replaced the generic black bars with pink and blue for the genders.

I personally like the second from the last. But I'm interested in what others think. It's not like there's any official body of Asexuality, either. So whatever we like doesn't really mean anything.

In the end, I just like making flags. :)

The only issue I have with the genders is that there are more than two lol

On the other side... why doesn't the Aven triangle encompass all Asexuals? I mean, it's the Asexual triangle...

I haven't seen the gradient triangle in use outside of AVEN. And AVEN is a great organization, but we can't just lay claim to the entire practice of asexuality. If the gradient triangle is used by other groups, and isn't specific to AVEN, then I apologize for my lack of knowledge.

For completeness, here are cleaned-up versions of the spade motif options:

spade1.png

Original

spade2.png

Purpleified.

I love all these designs people are coming up with! It's nice to see something besides the gradient triangle... while unique, it's not the most aesthetically pleasing or convenient symbol. From all the flags, the plain black-ring-in-bars and black-spade-in-bars are my favorite.

I share Orianna's concern about the gender-based flags. I like the idea, but it's excluding all the non-binary people out there.

Also, I've always been partial to the ace of hearts as a symbol for asexuality. After all, we still have big hearts and are capable of love without sex--and the ace of spades is also known as the "death card".

I'd like a flag with a cat on it. Maybe a cat within a purple triangle.

Also, I've always been partial to the ace of hearts as a symbol for asexuality. After all, we still have big hearts and are capable of love without sex--and the ace of spades is also known as the "death card".

Ooh, good point. Up 'til now I've always thought the ace of spades was really cool and kind of rock-star. But ace of hearts? Much squishier.

And soxfan, are you White Sox or Red Sox? I'm a Chicagoan (though a Cubs fan).... *ducks*

The only problem I have with the ace of hearts is that it signifies romance and we have aromantics as well as romantic asexuals. We need something that represents all of us.

opt3.png

The pink and blue boxes represent the genders, and the black cross representing asexuality. Note that the genders aren't physically touching. See what I'm going after? You may wonder why the gender boxes don't alternate colors. It's because I wanted to show a divide with both homosexual and heterosexual physical interaction.

opt4.png

The same theme as before, but this one with a more aesthetically pleasing white cross instead of a black one. I personally think the black one is more symbolic (because of the black ring) but white might look better.

opt5.png

A compromise. This is called fibrillation. I think it's aesthetically very nice.

my problems with these is the use of the Scandinavian cross,

where i live(Norway....Scandinavia) it symbolizes Christianity....

and well that definitely doesn't include all asexuals :ph34r:

The only problem I have with the ace of hearts is that it signifies romance and we have aromantics as well as romantic asexuals. We need something that represents all of us.

Maybe an Ace of Spades with an Ace of Hearts inside of it?

opt2.png

Using the "Black Ring" motif, in reference to a black ring on the right middle finger representing asexuality.

I think that's the best one so far :)

opt2.png

Not only does it have the black ring. It's the '0' - nope, nothing, not feeling a thing in regards to *cough*. ... I'm a little weary about just black and white - that might just be my eyes though (hurt easily). It's my favourite design.

Good job soxfan! We need people like you! You get :cake: for being horrorshow.

Very creative with the designs! :)

I liked the one with the black ring and the one with the ace of spades.

How about the AVEN triangle (I really like its meaning even if it looks simple) with an ace of spades inside that has different shades of gray in it (to represent the different shades of asexuality)?

Or maybe the black ring/AVEN triangle with half an ace of hearts and half an ace of spades in it?

I've been away a couple of days. At work right now, but when I get home I'll make images of all the suggestions people have posted that don't have actual images yet.

Cupcake_Master

Off topic, but I was checking Wikimedia Commons and..What is this symbol? It apparently is related to Asexuality, but I've never heard of it.

opt2.png

Nice but isn't it a little bland? I mean, Asexuality tends to have black symbols and white goes with black but..It seems a bit..Neutral?

I was thinking it would be nice to have one with some gray in it for us gray-as and also maybe a heart in one corner, a spade in the other. I might draw up something later.

You guys thought of the spade, heart, black ring, and gray ideas, so I tried to put those together. Sorry for the lack of :cake:.

aceflag.jpg

opt2.png

Not only does it have the black ring. It's the '0' - nope, nothing, not feeling a thing in regards to *cough*. ... I'm a little weary about just black and white - that might just be my eyes though (hurt easily). It's my favourite design.

Good job soxfan! We need people like you! You get :cake: for being horrorshow.

I really like this one too. It doesn't look too much like any other flag. I agree with the "flag rules", simple is better. There are some pretty bad flags out there: http://www.otago.ac.nz/philosophy/Staff/Jo...lags/alpha.html

In my mind, it's important to think of it like a logo. Everyone knows the Nike "swoosh" in part because it's so simple.

OK, responses to some posts:

And soxfan, are you White Sox or Red Sox? I'm a Chicagoan (though a Cubs fan).... *ducks*

I'm a Red Sox fan. Boston, baby!

my problems with these is the use of the Scandinavian cross, where i live(Norway....Scandinavia) it symbolizes Christianity.... and well that definitely doesn't include all asexuals

The Scandinavian cross is off center. The crosses I drew were centered. That may not seem like much of a distinction, but in heraldry, it's a big difference. Now, it *is* the same shape as St. George's Cross, the basis for the flag of England (not the UK Flag. The red cross on white that is the flag of England specifically). And that doesn't represent Christianity per se, though it does represent a saint. However, in the end, a cross is a cross. It's not reasonable to simply say "Someone else used that shape, we can't". If we do that, then we can't use the ring either, because Japan's been using a circle on their flag for centuries. ;-)

I always figured it would have been the gradient black and white triangle on a flag. *Shrugs*

Here ya go:

aven1.png

My opinion is this is boring.

Not exactly what you'd asked for. But putting an actual playing card on a flag is ugly in my opinion. So I made this instead.

avenspadeinside.png

This has potential, but is still really bland. Maybe some elements on the side? Gender-colored bars, or possibly black bars maybe?

How about the AVEN triangle (I really like its meaning even if it looks simple) with an ace of spades inside that has different shades of gray in it (to represent the different shades of asexuality)?

I couldn't make this work. :(

Nice but isn't it a little bland? I mean, Asexuality tends to have black symbols and white goes with black but..It seems a bit..Neutral?

Yes, it really is. So I made this alternate. Though it's creeping a bit too close to France. Not that there's anything wrong with france, mind you. It's just not us. And reversing the colors just makes it creep toward Upside-Down France.

ringtricolor.png

I was thinking it would be nice to have one with some gray in it for us gray-as and also maybe a heart in one corner, a spade in the other. I might draw up something later.

I couldn't find any way to make this work. :( I look forward to your rendition. :)

Now, some additional ideas, based on the feedback I got from the first set...

avenring1.png

The ring and the triangle together.

avenring2.png

Same as the last one, with a smaller triangle.

I'll be happy to whip up anything you folks wany. Just describe it, or give a rough sketch and I'll do it up.

opt3.png

opt4.png

opt5.png

These remind me of the Dominican Republic.

You guys thought of the spade, heart, black ring, and gray ideas, so I tried to put those together. Sorry for the lack of :cake:.

aceflag.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking, I like it! :)

aceflag.jpg

That one looks really good, all-encompassing and not too cluttered.

OK, responses to some posts:

Not exactly what you'd asked for. But putting an actual playing card on a flag is ugly in my opinion. So I made this instead.

avenspadeinside.png

This has potential, but is still really bland. Maybe some elements on the side? Gender-colored bars, or possibly black bars maybe?

Actually, this is what I had in mind, I keep saying ace pf spades but I actually mean the "spade figure."

Looking at them gives a different idea from picturing them in your head. So, thank you for making them. :)