Is the name "Amon"...dumb?

Shinnok

Well uh...as within the past year I've been trying to find a name that suits me best. About a month or two ago I decided on the name Amon and stuck it for a long time. Recently I've been switching around with other names but every time I make another name decision, I go back to Amon. I just like the name (and for people who know Devilman, you'll know where I got it from then). Someone online called it one of the worst names they ever heard and that's when it got me thinking if it truly was a bad name. I just wanted to see....what others thought? Is it really that bad?

(the reason I posted this in Gender Discussion is cuz I thought it fit but if it doesn't belong here, feel free to move it er yeah)

GooberPeaAndMe

I'm usually a name-snob, but I really like the name Amon! I don't know you personally, so I couldn't say if it fit you precisely, but the name itself is good. It has a sort of old testament feel to me, for some reason. Not a feeling of biblical virtue... It sort of recalls that mystical, slightly spooky feeling you get when you realize you're reading something written(or spoken more likely, and written down later) over 2000 years ago. At least I get that feeling, but I tend to have weird feelings about ancient stories. The point is, maybe you can use that first impression as perspective for how well the name fits you personally.

heatdissipation

I thought it sounded sort of Egyptian (at this point I should mention I know nothing about Egypt! :P) which is really neat.

Plus I think it's cool that it's similar to your original name (er, right?)

Anyway, I think you should pick whatever name makes you happy, because it really shouldn't be anyone else's concern.

Edit: typos.

SorryNotSorry

I agree with Goob and HD, Amon sounds Semitic. Add another M and you have the name of a city in Jordan for which ammonia was named.

At any rate, it sure beats MARTIN!

heatdissipation

For the record, I love the name Martin. I'm not sure why. I think it has something to do with QC.

It's certainly different, but not dumb. I've never heard it before, and saw it as 'Anon' (anonymous) first. But if it's what you keep going back to, and you feel comfortable iwth it, go for it! :D

Heck, I'vebeen going by 'Dragon' (online) for 7 years. you don't get much dumber than that. ^^

Dragon is awesome lol

And I know how the name has that Biblical historical feel to it. I'm pretty sure there's someone in the Old Testament named Amon. I don't know who the person was though

It's official. I'm going back to using Amon :D (one M is good..I don't like how two M's has a relation to ammonia lol)

SorryNotSorry

There is one disgusting thing about the city of Ammon... before cars, the place was a piss-stop for camels along the Arab trade routes. Hot desert sand + camel whiz = strong ammonia odor.

Dragon is awesome lol

Haha, thanks :D

And I know how the name has that Biblical historical feel to it. I'm pretty sure there's someone in the Old Testament named Amon. I don't know who the person was though

It's official. I'm going back to using Amon :D (one M is good..I don't like how two M's has a relation to ammonia lol)

Congrats, Amon! ^^ I don't know anything about the bible, so I don't kow if there's anyone in there or if it's just that town.

Yeah, that's a pretty kick-ass name! My own name only means "dark skinned." But you've got an Egyptian deity! And that's you in your profile picture? Amon suits you well.

Amon's Hebrew for faithful, true, and roaring stream. (Don't know how that got in there with the other two.) Nice name.

That's an epic list on Wikipedia. I remember hearing how it was an Egyptian deity. I didn't know it was all those others though >.>

And yah that's me in the profile picture

Edit: Thanks, Sally :D

Oh yeah. Most of us know your change-the-name-again times.

Well... I like name Amon, I don't know where you got it from but it sounds kinda Egyptian and I absolutely love Egyptian things (talking about Ancient Egypt, though).

Beside that it sounds Egyptian- I would like this name even if it didn't sound so Egyptian. It's just a nice name :)

Maybe it was the way they thought it was pronounced that made them think it was a dumb name? I personally think it has bit of a nice ring to it :)

GooberPeaAndMe

Yay! I forgot about it being Egyptian too. When I said biblical, I was thinking it reminded me of Aaron, but I guess if there was a king of Judah named Amon I remember sunday school a lot better than I thought... :huh: Anyway, the real appeal for me is that it's a strong, ancient name that has lasted thousands of years.

It sounds sturdy, unusual and historical. Everything that seems to be you.

And it's also demonic name: Amon Demon.

Yeah, something for you, PR... Devi... Shinnok. Weren't you about changing your name to Owl, by the way...?

'Amon' is Elvish for 'hill' isn't it?

I got it from the anime Devilman. I've never even seen the movie but I heard the name Amon was in it and it caught my attention more than any other name I've picked so far. I forgot but I remember reading on Wikipedia that Amon was a name in demonology.

Yeah, something for you, PR... Devi... Shinnok. Weren't you about changing your name to Owl, by the way...?

A few months back I was going through names to pick from and most of them were animal names like Raven, Wolf, ect. Owl might have been one of them. Or did you mean for a username?

:)

Maybe it was the way they thought it was pronounced that made them think it was a dumb name? I personally think it has bit of a nice ring to it :)

I think there's like two ways of pronouncing it. One way is like "Ay-mun" which is how I say it and the other way would probably be like how you say the Egyptian name "Aw-mun". I suck at trying to write on how to pronounce things lol

mort paradis

I think it's an awesome name. ^_^ I've had similar things happen to me when I was trying to chose a name, ended up going through several which pissed off my sister...and she thinks that the name I've finally stuck with is stupid and she hates it :( But anyways, it's my name not hers so she will just have to deal with it.

There's what I found out about Amon:

AMON

Usage: Egyptian Mythology

Pronounced: AH-mun

Possibly means "the hidden one" in Egyptian. In Egyptian mythology he was originally a god of the wind and the air. Later, during the Middle Kingdom, his attributes were combined with those of the god Ra and he was worshipped as Amon-Ra.

Very appropriate ;)

And I remember that it's also the name of a house in one of King Diamond's album's. Very dark and demonic

• 2 months later...
SilverCandleKid

i like it!

About a month or two ago I decided on the name Amon and stuck it for a long time. Recently I've been switching around with other names but every time I make another name decision, I go back to Amon. I just like the name

It becomes you. It sounds adventurous and Egyptian. Use it when you go on quests and adventures. 8)

There is one disgusting thing about the city of Ammon... before cars, the place was a piss-stop for camels along the Arab trade routes. Hot desert sand + camel whiz = strong ammonia odor.

Amman was interesting, though (but I liked Petra better).

I like the name Amon.....however thats probably because I first came across it in an anime (Witchhunter Robin). But like Sammie said 'why listen to anyone except yourself'? If you like the name then that should be good enough reason to use it. :)

I abandoned the name Amon a while ago. I doubt I'll ever go back to it..

Archived