Genderless, A- gender, Neutrois

Astryda

What, in your opinion, do those terms mean?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do some of those terms have the same meaning?

• No, those are 3 different terms.
    • Yes, those 3 terms have the same meaning.
    • Genderless and A- gender are the same.
    • Genderless and Neutrois are the same.
    • Neutrois and A- gender are the same.
  2. 2. A person who is 'genderless' is someone who...

• ...is neither male or female (and isn't anywhere between them).
    • ...doesn't indentify with any gender.
    • ...doesn't label their gender at all.
  3. 3. A person who is 'a- gendered' is someone who...

4. 4. A person who is 'neutrois' is someone who...

Genderless, A- gender, Neutrois

I read on the Internet, on many sites, a bunch of various definitions of those 3 terms. Since also here, on AVEN, we have different definitions of it and no one wants to change their point of view, it doesn't make sense to argue about terms, so I decided to ask you, what, in your opinions, those terms mean. To avoid arguments (or at least to make results clear) I decided to make a poll. Of course, you are welcome to say what you think in comments, as well!

And I appreciate any input (voting and comments).

PS. 'Androgynous' isn't on the list because I think most of us agree that it's a term used to describe 'a person who is somewhere between female and male gender area'

I've seen agender used with the neutrois most interchangeably. I suppose I can see it meaning the same as genderless, too.

Genderless is not having a gender identity at all. I see it as the people who say they can't understand gender identities very well and seem to just go with their biological sex without any attachment to it, although they might just be people with a very weak attachment to their gender identity (the proposed 'Z' scale on the gender graph) which isn't a bad thing for a label in general. Neutrois is people who identify as neither male nor female, but do identify, sometimes strongly enough to get extremely dysphoric.

I'm curious about if there's a diference between bigender and genderfluid as well, it seems like the two are generally the same and people rarely identify as 100% male and 100% female all the time- bigender is just a certain class of genderfluid that spans the two ends of the graph.

I thought androgynous was a term relating to a physical aesthetic, not gender identity?

It's both (at least it's the most popular definition).

I thought androgynous was a term relating to a physical aesthetic, not gender identity?

It can mean both, I think, depending on the context? You could get someone who looks quite feminine or masculine but on the inside they're androgynous. And then you could get someone who looks quite androgynous but on the inside they're quite feminine/masculine. And then there's (the lucky) ones who both look and feel androgynous.

Androgyne is the gender identity, androgynous is the physical aesthetic. An androgyne is someone who identifies as both male and female, in the 50/50 range but it varies. Androgynous is, as you said, the physical aesthetic generally used by androgynes. I don't think there's much of a problem in using them interchangably, though. The only confusion is when non-androgyne non-binary say they try to present androgynously.

I think genderless and agender are essentially the same, but neutrois goes a step further. The former two are a lack of gender, while the latter is someone without gender that also would prefer their body also be without notable gender. So all neutrois people are also agender and genderless, while agender and genderless people may not be neutrois.

That's my opinion, anyway.

I'd say neutrois is a distinctly different term, but while agender and genderless are somewhat interchangeable, they do seem to have slightly different connotations, for me at least. Personally I seem to view neutrois as being a type of agender, and agender being a type of genderless, with genderless being the term that covers all of them.

mort paradis
I think genderless and agender are essentially the same, but neutrois goes a step further. The former two are a lack of gender, while the latter is someone without gender that also would prefer their body also be without notable gender. So all neutrois people are also agender and genderless, while agender and genderless people may not be neutrois.

That's my opinion as well ^_^

I'd go with that as well.

• 2 years later...

I'd go with that as well.

I agree :)

the Lady Ashuko

Genderless is not having a gender identity at all. I see it as the people who say they can't understand gender identities very well and seem to just go with their biological sex without any attachment to it, although they might just be people with a very weak attachment to their gender identity (the proposed 'Z' scale on the gender graph) which isn't a bad thing for a label in general.

This sounds exactly like me! :cake: Thanks for helping me find a word for it!

Archived