The Genderqueer Watch

Sammie

• 2 weeks later...

In Canada.... trans rights bill gets its first hour of debate.

Exciting!

This will protect people from discrimination on the grounds of gender identity and gender expression.

Thank you for sharing, I love learning what's going on in other countries.

Have you seen the It-Crowd season 3 episode 4?

If not, heed the spoiler warning because I wrote a gender-related review in the spoiler tags.

I'll jump right in and say: The IT-crowd is a fantastic show and I hate to have to write about it this way, but episode 4 of season 3 is a disgrace.

The story starts very promising when Douglas meets the beautiful April, who has something to tell him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi-Croge77o

April used to be a man. Apart from the fact that there is a laughing-track under her confession, this scene is great. It deals with the painful truth that many transsexuals have problems dating non-transsexuals beause they are perceived as unattractive, repulsing, or not 'real' women (or real men). But Douglas appears to be past that ignorance.This scene made me really really happy.

After that, the show makes a lot of petty jokes. April is presented as very strong, blunt, a lover of beer, pizza and darts. In other words: a man in a female body. This bothered me quite a bit, but after that great scene before it, how could I get truly mad?

But then it turns out - and here's the big pun - that Douglas had not heared her first confession.

He thinks that April used to be from Iran. This is very silly, not funny and not very credible. April said the truth twice and talked about operations and hormones. How could he possibly not hear?

And then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=x3BY72RF8vc

Again, this scene doesn't start off being essentially bad. April's pain at being rejected is something many transsexuals have experienced, and even Douglas's torment about his own inability to love April is something that might really happen.

But then it turns to pure parody, and that undoes all that was good about it.

April is again presented as a man in a woman's body. strong, agressive, and not the least bit likeable. She's ridiculed. And according to the laughing track, that is hilarious.

So finally, April's role is no different than the very insulting portrayal or police-woman Einhorn in Ace Ventura. It's still hilarious to make transsexual women fight. It would seem nothing has changed.

disappointing, IT crowd. Very disappointing.

• 2 weeks later...

http://genderfork.com/2010/sexy-as-ever/

Dirty King by the Cliks and this bit of tasty information.

Lucas Sliveira, the openly transgender lead singer of Toronto alt-rock band The Cliks, became the first transman to win the "Trow Your Underwear Award Male" (Sexiest Canadian Man) in the year end reader's poll from Chart Attack, Canada's premier music magazine.

More details here http://www.afterellen.com/blog/alleyhector/the-cliks-lucas-silveira-wins-canadas-sexiest-man-title.

• 3 weeks later...
carried in bags

i LOVE this new advert about a "transspecies" cow

Garbage - Androgyny

lyrics

When everything is going wrong

And you can't see the point in going on

Nothing in life is set in stone

There's nothing that can't be turned around

Nobody wants to be alone

Everybody wants to love someone

Out of the tree go pick a plum

Why can't we all just get along?

Boys.. Boys in the girls room

Girls.. Girls in the men's room

You free your mind in your androgyny

Boys.. Boys in the parlour

Girls.. They're getting harder

I'll free your mind and your androgyny

No sweeter a taste that you could find

Than fruit hanging ripe upon the vine

There's never been an oyster so divine

A river deep that never runs dry

The birds and bees they hum along

Like treasures they twinkle in the sun

Get on board and have some fun

Take what you need to turn you on

Boys.. Boys in the girls room

Girls.. Girls in the men's room

I'll free your mind

I'll free your mind

I'll free your mind

I’ll free your…

Boys.. Behind closed doors and under stars

Girls.. It doesn't matter where you are

Boys.. Collecting jewels that catch your eye

Girls.. Don't let a soulmate pass you by

Boys in the girls room

Girls in the men's room

Boys in the parlour

They're getting harder

I'll free your mind

I'll free your mind

Boys in the girls room

Girls in the men's room

I'll free your mind

I'll free your mind

I'll free your mind

I’ll free your…

Boys..

Girls..

Boys..

Girls..

The video of 'Tear you apart' by 'she wants revenge' is about transphobia.

Warning: it might be shocking, especially if violence gainst transsexuals is something you have to deal with yourself.

For all the men here who are fighting and struggling with binaries, I bring you Beyond Masculinities: essays by queer men about gender and politics.

Special thanks to beyondweird because I found this through a link you posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Typical Power

Warning: it might be shocking, especially if violence gainst transsexuals is something you have to deal with yourself.

You've just taught me to appreciate She Wants Revenge. :blush:

Typical Power

Although, just now, I went to look at the comments of the video... <_<

I loved that video. It made me really happy that she got away in the end.

On a side note, whoever that actress is, she is really stunning. I would so buy her flowers.

Typical Power

I loved that video. It made me really happy that she got away in the end.

On a side note, whoever that actress is, she is really stunning. I would so buy her flowers.

It's disappointing that the song seems to only be appreciated for its sexualism...

(Well... if youtube comments are anything to go by)

Hey people!

Yes, I'm still alive. I've been taking a break from everything gender related, trying to pretend I'm not living in a female body because I believe trans people need a holiday as well, a time for the mind to relax.

So, anyway, here's some stuff I came across anyway:

Most importantly: http://genderqueer.tumblr.com

is such an awesome awesome awesome stream of words and pictures.

And the best thing I've seen on there is this video about being a transman:

and quote of the day:

I’m sick of being told “You’re not a guy yet,” when I was never a girl to start with.

Yes. I feel this way. so so much.

Found a blog here for femme, effeminate, non-masculine and gender-non-conforming guys and the people who love them.

Edit: We've now got a FTM tumblr here.

Gah this thread is dying! Medic!

Just remembered this. It's a poem by Brian Brett, a canadian writer from BC. I'm not to sure whether I should post it here but it really struck a chord in me when I think about childhood, gender identity and the idea that labels aren't important in life, just he journey.

Beautiful Boys

The pretty ones, hard and lean

dashing into the gap through the trees

hurling themselves at the river's pool,

from branches, from rocks, from ropes -

naked to the water that beads

them with the dew of the falls catching

light on young skin in the sun and shadow,

me jostling at their side, not knowing,

if I was beautiful, if I was wild,

if I was lost, or if I was just another boy.

It didn't matter then, not on that day;

spangled in the heat of the summer,

peering into cataracts, the deep,

the terror that rushed between the rocks

struck crimson by the falling sun

while the bright scroll of our lives

lay unwritten before us like a river.

What counted was the run to the edge

and that scissored,

leg-thrashing

leap into....

I don't know how or why, but I ended up with a triple post.

I guess I'll have to dig some stuff up to fill in these spaces.

Rook Wallace

I love LOVE this tumblr account. So many adorable gender-defying people! :wub:

Found a blog here for femme, effeminate, non-masculine and gender-non-conforming guys and the people who love them.

I LOVE femmeguy's blog! it's really intelligent and insightful.

Some other interesting blogs are:

StrangeBox. On being trans and outside the binary. Warning: frequent adult content on there.

Feminist Tranny Manifesto.

So there's this comm which I lurk in on Livejournal.

It's called Ask Me Anything and I spend a little time on it everday cuz it gives me an insight on what people deal with all sorts of things. Today, there was this post:

How comfortable are you with addressing somebody using the pronouns that they prefer, as opposed to the ones that would be genetically/anatomically accurate?

Does it vary depending on whether it's to their faces, or when they're not around?

Link

I found most of the replies to be... disappointing. I don't get people to address me by gender-neutral pronouns, because I don't really care what they think. When somebody mistakens for the opposite gender (happened twice with my hat on), I don't really bother to correct them. I believe in being who you are and that it eventually shows. The best way to let people know you've hung up gender cuz you don't need it is not to get them call you sie/ze/hir but to act like it.

Regardless, I feel that if somebody prefers being addressed by gender-neutral pronouns, it's no skin off my back/nose. I consider it a small favour and that it's kind of weird to be so strongly against it. Maybe it's just heteronormative cognitive dissonance...

Never really bothered me as to what pronouns people use when addressing me, a lot of people cannot tell what geneder I am at first so I get quite a mix of pronouns anyhow.

Nooooooo, all my gender watch posts here from after 31 dec are gone. I'll repost the most memorable I can think of:

two advertisements featuring genderqueerness.

For those who do not speak french, the guy is saying:

"Hey dad, can you get us into the club?"

and the slogan is:

"Comfortable in his era, comfortable in his Twingo."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wnmeRTwmw

a beautiful song with some interesting gender-related lyrics:

A webcomic about teenagers coming to terms with their gay, queer and trans identities:

Khaos Komic

gender-related advertising:

This add is in Dutch and the words say "for him", "for her"

suitsupply.jpg

Thas second one has got to be the single sexiest advertisment I have ever seen. Anyone know who the music is bye?

sex.healthguru.com makes videos about various sex-related topics and recently features a genderqueer FtM, Adrian:

He talks quite a bit about his genitalia and his experience as a Gynecological Teacher's Assistant (someone who instructs gynecologists with his own body as the example). His choice to work in education so that future gynecologists can understand FtM issues is very inspiring.

He also talks about being genderqueer and proudly wearing a miniskirt. :) awesome.

This is very refreshing, I always get a lot of flak for being a FtM who doesn't follow gender stereotypes and therefore treated like I'm not really one as a result.

Archived