The Genderqueer Watch

Sammie

The gender equality gets better...And worse. On both sides :P

I liked it a lot because up until this point the only female fighters that had been in the show had been of the "Kick ass and hot in their twenties, Lara Croft"-type that doesn't threaten gendernorms because they're striaght men's fantasies that only exist in the realm of fiction.

The idea that an old woman and a mother can be a warrior is so much more interesting.

The gender equality gets better...And worse. On both sides :P

I liked it a lot because up until this point the only female fighters that had been in the show had been of the "Kick ass and hot in their twenties, Lara Croft"-type that doesn't threaten gendernorms because they're striaght men's fantasies that only exist in the realm of fiction.

The idea that an old woman and a mother can be a warrior is so much more interesting.

Toward the end of the second season is when it begins to get awesome on that front.

Also it's spelled "Aeryn" Aeryn Sun

Really enjoyed

I didn't find that funny at all. Mocking ignorant people is one thing, but mocking ignorant people who ask ignorant questions because they're trying to become less-ignorant?

Really enjoyed

I didn't find that funny at all. Mocking ignorant people is one thing, but mocking ignorant people who ask ignorant questions because they're trying to become less-ignorant?

Hmmm that's a good point. The reason why I liked it though was because they took a serious topic that people tend to freak out about and made it into something that didn't really matter as much and was funny. In my opinion it showed that being trans is just another part of your life, that it's not the biggest and most important part, contrary to what most people would think. Though maybe it's just me, I'm not trans.

I don't think this quite explains why I liked it though. <_<

Really enjoyed

It was very harsh, but I thought it was very informative and really shed some common-sense on the issue.

This quote from Chapter Seventeen of JM Barrie's Peter Pan:

When a new baby laughs for the first time a new fairy is born, and as there are always new babies there are always new fairies. They live in nests on the tops of trees; and the mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are.

Earlier in the book, Peter points out that Tink cannot really be his fairy as "you are a lady and I am a gentleman"

It's taken me a long time to find the actual quote again but it's stuck with me for years. I think some people here have blue fairies...

Scarletteen, a sex ed site for teenagers, has this article on gender. I really liked it.

And this video taken from genderfork because I really like the music.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't you post that video before? Ah well it was nice to watch again.

Just realized that I posted this link on the wrong thread before.

And.... *drumroll please* Happiness is...?

deaddogx and duplicatekeys, two of my favorite genderqueer transguys on youtube are starting a new channel soon: TransCultureTV.

In the past they've made some fantastic videos about gender and transition, playing with it with so much humour.

Here's a video they made earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRZYRC9TGTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__67ted5weg&feature=channel

My new task in life is sweeping deaddogx off his feet. Or getting sweeped, if he wants. :wub:

I shall not have internet crushes. I shall not have internet crushes. I shall not have internet crushes.

Again, a video.

Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir recently had to comment on the fact that two french commentaters mocked his 'femme' gender representations and suggest that he undergo a gendertest. In his comment, he made no accusations but did say some beautiful words on freedom of gender expression.

More of the background story can be found here: http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/02/25/johnny-weir-olympics-gender-example/

The beautiful part starts at 2:00

I think masculinity is what you believe it to be. To me masculinity is all my perception. I think masculinity and femininity is something that's very oldfashioned. There's a whole new generation of people that aren't defined by their race or their sex or who they like to sleep with.

Three cheers for Weir. :)

KayleeSaeihr
There's a whole new generation of people that aren't defined by their race or their sex or who they like to sleep with.

Three cheers for Weir. :)

Three cheers indeed!

The makers of the fantasic initiative safe2pee.org have started a new internet resource to search for Trans-positive, gender non-conforming-positive and trans-specialized doctors, surgeons, clinics, psychologists, therapists, counselors, support, communities and activity groups. The place: trans411.org

Most adresses already in the database are American but the system is set up to be worldwide. Like safe2pee, the system is based on information contributed by the community.

The makers of the fantasic initiative safe2pee.org have started a new internet resource to search for Trans-positive, gender non-conforming-positive and trans-specialized doctors, surgeons, clinics, psychologists, therapists, counselors, support, communities and activity groups. The place: trans411.org

Most adresses already in the database are American but the system is set up to be worldwide. Like safe2pee, the system is based on information contributed by the community.

Ah you beat me to it.

I'll post this then. Trans-Fusions 2 an album compilation of various transgender artists. The add is old but they're getting to release their second CD. I didn't know there were that many transgender performers out there. Learned something new today and school hasn't even started yet.

On side note, Sammie you've got me completely hooked on The Cliks. This is not fair, my wallet can't afford to have another addiction.

A dutch website posted some info on recently published movies about gender. I've seen none of them but thought I'd share the translation:

Mein Freund aus Faro

A German movie about a tomboy who pretends to be a boy to be with the woman of her dreams.

German trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXU2YxDwcZA

Me and Nuri Bala

A Turkish movie about a transsexual feminist who challenges gendernorms in Turkey

Straightlaced: How gender's got us all tied up

A documentary about young adults who don't fit the gender binary.

trailer:

Viola Di Mare

An Italian movie. On Sicilia in the 19th century, a lesbian couple struggles to find love. Desperate, Angela changes her birth records to Angelo to marry her true love.

trailer with english subs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kiyBJrdkMU

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently got my hands on a well known book about FtM transition: Body Alchemy. Transsexual portraits

Most of you will know it already, but I felt like mentioning it anyway. It's a really really awesome book full of photo's or FtM transitions, including a close up look at different sorts of surgery and questions like 'can a man be happy with a vagina?'. (Defenitely not a book for those who do not like nudity)

sex.healthguru.com makes videos about various sex-related topics and recently features a genderqueer FtM, Adrian:

He talks quite a bit about his genitalia and his experience as a Gynecological Teacher's Assistant (someone who instructs gynecologists with his own body as the example). His choice to work in education so that future gynecologists can understand FtM issues is very inspiring.

He also talks about being genderqueer and proudly wearing a miniskirt. :) awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the topic of trans men with children, here's an adorable video of a trans father interviewing his 9yo twins about his transition.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like this video by DuplicateKeys and the message that's shared. "Transition isn't about following rules."

I really like this video by DuplicateKeys and the message that's shared. "Transition isn't about following rules."

I love that one!

Not technically gender-related but since we don't have a Queer Watch:

Merrill Hagan proves that not all heroes are straight, naming fifteen examples (actually 16) of gay fictional characters that can kick your ass:

15 Nerdy Characters Who Could Easily Destroy You and Who Also Just Happen to be Gay

Personally, I would have put Midnighter and Apollo on first place and Jack Harkness on second place.

IOnteresting song on gender:

A punk protest to how boys are raised:

I'm not going to try to tell you that I'm different from all the rest.

I've been subject to the same de-structure of desire

and I've felt the same effects;

I'm a hetero-sexist tragedy.

And potential rapists all are we.

But don't tell me this is natural. This is nurturing.

And there's a difference between sexism and sexuality.

I had different desires prior to my role-remodelling.

And at six years of age you don't challenge their claims.

You become the same.

(Or withdraw from the game and hang your head in shame).

I think that's exactly what I did.

I tried to sever the connections between me and them.

I fought against their further attempts

to convince a kid that birthright can bestow the power to yield the subordination of women

and do you know what patricentricity means?

I found out just a couple of days/months/years/minutes ago.

It means male values uber alles and hey! Whaddaya know...

sex has been distorted and vilified.

I'm scared of my attraction to body types.

If everything desired is objectified

then maybe eroticism needs to be redefined.

And I refuse to be a man.

Elliott Ford

I love that one!

There is my future and the reason I wish I'd learnt how to apply make up..

*will have to get someone to teach me*

and the piece featured at genderfork, just because it's also very awesome:

"There may be as many as million genders" - this is SO RIGHT!!! Thanks for posting :)

(Did I just write that in all caps + three exclamation marks? ts, ts ...)

I think a lot of people here, in case you all don't listen to this band already, would really enjoy some of their stuff.

Nevermind the video for this, it's a fan one that has nothing to do with the song. XD

I first heard "Today I Am A Boy" on a local station and even though at the time I was still trying to be Christian and anti-everything it struck a chord with me and I ended up finding Antony and The Johnsons. I recommend all their stuff, even the songs that have nothing to do with gender.

Archived