The Genderqueer Watch

Sammie

This topic is obviously based on the forum World Watch.

As I'm interested in gender in all its aspects, I often browse the internet looking for interesting articles, video's etc. Sometimes I post some of my interesting findings on The Androgynous Look Thread but recently I came across several things that were not quite about androgyny, but defenitely worth sharing.

So here's a thread for stuff like that.

For all the blogs, quotes, articles, pictures, video's, songs etc you know about androgyny, genderqueerness, transsexuality, intersex, etc etc etc.

Starting with some of my own findings:

Genderfork

My absolute favorite blog about androgyny, transsexuality, and any genderambiguity.

Julia Serano - Sleeping sickness

Two amazing pieces of spoken poetic by a male-to-female transsexual.

Movies and other non-internet media might need a whole topic of their own, but for the time being I'd like to mention

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

A fantastic movie about a male-to female punk-rocksinger from East-Berlin looking for happiness, fame and true love.

And finally, a fantastic quote by a female-to-male transsexual, Lynn Breedlove:

"My friends tell me I'm not a real man. And I say: 'that's right. I'm not a real man. I'm Peter Pan. An internally small boy always played by a middle-aged woman"

source:

now post your own!

For movies, Ma vie en rose, a French-language Belgian movie about a young transkid and hir family, is endearing.

The 1928 Virginia Woolf book, Orlando and the 1992 Movie Orlando, about someone who lived as both male and female are well worth reading/watching. 8)

• 2 weeks later...
And finally, a fantastic quote by a female-to-male transsexual, Lynn Breedlove:

"My friends tell me I'm not a real man. And I say: 'that's right. I'm not a real man. I'm Peter Pan. An internally small boy always played by a middle-aged woman"

source:

I saw Lynn Breedlove about a fortnight ago at Bar Wotever in London - Amazing show! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Something for the Watch: commercials!

This trans-positive commercial is absolutely awesome!!!

mort paradis
Something for the Watch: commercials!

This trans-positive commercial is absolutely awesome!!!

Wow that commercial is awesome!! ^_^

:o

:)

*shares the commercial with everybody*

Thanks for posting!

KayleeSaeihr

That commercial almost brought a tear to my eye, very sweet :)

Genderfork

My absolute favorite blog about androgyny, transsexuality, and any genderambiguity.

Not really 'genderwatch' but IO have to post this somewhere:

I was recently reading this post on genderfork when I thought 'hey, that sounds like something I would say... no wait... that's exactly what I said on genderfork once!'

They quoted me. :D :D :D proud.

KayleeSaeihr

You have a pocketwatch!? /jealous!

Elliott Ford

I HAVE A POCKET WATCH!!!

Ahem.

I just wanted to say that i really like the Peter Pan quote. I used to kinda think that i was Peter Pan after i read the book a few times. So it seemed revelant. Especially as it was my childhood ambition to play him on stage as soon as i knew that he was always played by a woman... or maybe i just wanted to be a boy :)

two :) Although I need to get one of them fixed.

A small silver-coloured one and a large bronze-coloured one with a lid that snaps open when you press the button :)

mort paradis

two :) Although I need to get one of them fixed.

A small silver-coloured one and a large bronze-coloured one with a lid that snaps open when you press the button :)

I have one too! ^_^

And that's an awesome quote!

Pocket-watch show-off time? Alright, I'll indulge myself, my pocket-watches.

The large one has a wind-up mechanism, which is beautiful but an endless source of trouble. The small one runs on batteries.

KayleeSaeihr

Now I want one (even more) :(

:D

speaking of pocketwatchs...

i always wanted one ever since i was little...i told my mom i wanted one and she said, "pocket watchs are for boys"

well...i bought one...loved it...it's dead right now...turns out you are suppose to take it out of the pocket before you wash your pants opps :P...well, everybodyelse like it, and it grew on her

i need a new pocket watch now ^_^

oh, and that commercial was amazing...it was so sweet ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
silentdreamer

Hmm.. I guess I'll post there here. So, I just got finished watching a episode of Cold Case, "Boy Crazy". It's about a girl named Samantha who preferred to dress like a boy and do things boys did like fix cars. But of course this wasn't acceptable in the 1960's. After having too many problems with the other kids at school, her father sent her to this creepy hospital.

I can only find clips of the episode online. But this part was just really creepy. Makes me wonder if there are still places like this hospital out there *shudder* It's like the special hell for anyone who's different:

Her one friend from school tries to come break her out of the place, but she asks him to kill her so she can be free. It's just really sad.

• 1 month later...

That Cold Case epsiode is so so sad. so sad.

Watching things like that makes me feel so lucky to be living in better times then that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athens Boys Choir's new Song 'Fagette' is genderqueer awesomeness.

(( WARNING: includes mentions of sex organs and explicit talk about dildo's. ))

Makes me wonder if there are still places like this hospital out there *shudder* It's like the special hell for anyone who's different

You mean like school? :P

Makes me wonder if there are still places like this hospital out there *shudder* It's like the special hell for anyone who's different

You mean like school? :P

oh most definitely school ... :P

Hmm.. I guess I'll post there here. So, I just got finished watching a episode of Cold Case, "Boy Crazy". It's about a girl named Samantha who preferred to dress like a boy and do things boys did like fix cars. But of course this wasn't acceptable in the 1960's. After having too many problems with the other kids at school, her father sent her to this creepy hospital.

I can only find clips of the episode online. But this part was just really creepy. Makes me wonder if there are still places like this hospital out there *shudder* It's like the special hell for anyone who's different:

https://www.inthelifetv.org/html/episodes/72.html

This Month, IN THE LIFE examines the controversy raging over the inclusion of Gender Identity Disorder in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual. National Center for Transgender Equality Executive Director Mara Keisling and political theorist, Paisley Currah, discuss legislation designed to protect trans-people from discrimination at work and in gender-specific public spaces. We conclude with The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, a global collective of queer performance artists who defy expectation using the power of parody to promote human rights, respect for diversity, and spiritual enlightenment.
  • 2 weeks later...
Captain_Howdy

So there's this comm which I lurk in on Livejournal.

It's called Ask Me Anything and I spend a little time on it everday cuz it gives me an insight on what people deal with all sorts of things. Today, there was this post:

How comfortable are you with addressing somebody using the pronouns that they prefer, as opposed to the ones that would be genetically/anatomically accurate?

Does it vary depending on whether it's to their faces, or when they're not around?

Link

I found most of the replies to be... disappointing. I don't get people to address me by gender-neutral pronouns, because I don't really care what they think. When somebody mistakens for the opposite gender (happened twice with my hat on), I don't really bother to correct them. I believe in being who you are and that it eventually shows. The best way to let people know you've hung up gender cuz you don't need it is not to get them call you sie/ze/hir but to act like it.

Regardless, I feel that if somebody prefers being addressed by gender-neutral pronouns, it's no skin off my back/nose. I consider it a small favour and that it's kind of weird to be so strongly against it. Maybe it's just heteronormative cognitive dissonance...

Apart from the occasional idiot posting, replies to that question don't seem to be THAT bad? Most people replying seem perfectly okay using different pronouns. And you can't expect any topic on the internet to be jerk-free.

I just got so completely blown away by Andrea Gibson\'s poetry on gender. I don\'t think I ever cried at a work of art before.

Here\'s links to two of her poems, or whatever you want to call them. In text and spoken version.

Warning: TMI. some of the descriptions of gender and sex suddenly get very very graffic.

Andrew

Swingset

Andrea\'s website with 5 other poems by Andrea Gibson not about gender (warning: blue blanket is about rape and truly shocking, but extremely beautiful.)

(about queer rights)

(fantastic love poem)
When I was a kid I would sometimes secretly call myself Andrew. Would tug at the crotch of my pants the way only pubescent boys do, ran around pounding on my bare chest like Tarzan. It’s not that I thought I’d grow up to be a man; I just never thought that I’d grow up to be a woman either. From what I could tell neither of those categories fit me, but believe me, I knew from a very young age never to say “Hey dad, this Adam or Eve thing isn’t working for me; I mean, what about all the kinds of people in between?”

In the third grade, Lynnette Lyons asked me where all my Barbies were, lied and told her I’d got in trouble so my mom took ‘em away. I didn’t dare say “Barbies suck, Lynnette! And for that matter, Tommy, so does GI Joe.”

I wanna grow into something none of us has ever seen before, and gender is just one of the ways we’re boxed in and labeled, before we’re ever able to speak who we dream we are, who we believe we’ll become, like drumbeats ever changing their rythm. I am living today as someone I had not yet become yesterday, and tonight I will borrow only pieces of who I was today to carry with me to tommorow.

No, I’m not gay. No, I’m not straight, and I’m sure as hell not bisexual, damn it! I am whatever I am when I am it, loving whoever you are when the stars shine and whoever you’ll be when the sun rises. Yes, I like girls. Yes, I like boys.

Yes, I like boys who like boys; I like girls who wear toys and girls who don’t; girls who don’t call themselves girls; crew cuts or curls and that really bad hair phase in between. I like steam rising from the body of a one-night stand; I like holding hands for three months before kissing; I like wishing your body was Saturn, my body thousand rings wrapped around you. You wanted to be a Buddhist nun once; last night you held my cervix between your fingers. I thank gods I don’t believe in for your changing. Tell me we’ll be naming our children “Beautiful” and nothing else.

Tell Barbie she can go now. Tell GI Joe to put his gun down and find a boyfriend or a girlfriend or a girl-boy-friend; fuck it, y’all, GI Joe just needs a friend. I mean, he’s plastic and not even the kind of plastic that bends. I want to bend in a thousand directions like the sun does, like love does, like time stopped so the hands of the clock could hold each other; and we held each other like I held these words for too many years on the tip of my tongue.

I am my mother’s daughter. I am midnight sun. You can find me on the moon waxing and waning, my heart full of pebbles, every single one begging “love me, love me, love me, whoever I am, whoever I become. Love me, love me, love me.”

• 1 month later...

It's not exactly 'genderqueerness in the media', but noteworthy non the less:

Because getting kicked out of restrooms is a problem for many trans, some people in North America recently started project 'Safe2Pee', mapping out unisex and genderqueer-friendly toilets in North America. If you live in the US and carry internet on your cellphone, you can simply search for the nearest unisex toilet and hope there's one close to you.

link: http://safe2pee.org/beta/

Currently the amount of public toilets mapped are only about 2000 but the project is growing fast with lots of people contributing to the list.

It's not exactly 'genderqueerness in the media', but noteworthy non the less:

Because getting kicked out of restrooms is a problem for many trans, some people in North America recently started project 'Safe2Pee', mapping out unisex and genderqueer-friendly toilets in North America. If you live in the US and carry internet on your cellphone, you can simply search for the nearest unisex toilet and hope there's one close to you.

link: http://safe2pee.org/beta/

Currently the amount of public toilets mapped are only about 2000 but the project is growing fast with lots of people contributing to the list.

Aww only North America? :(

Aww only North America? :(

Beardless is right, there is a beta for europe here: http://safe2pee.org/europe/

The site suffers from a lot of spam, but all those who like the idea of this project should defenitely contribute to give it a chance.

edit: I see you're from Australia... :(

Archived