BBC Documentary on Asexuality this March

tourmaline20

momotroniuity

Seen it on YT, really well done, and Tessa, Nikki and Andy were great.

• 3 months later...

I can't believe its STILL on youtube! its called avendoc so doesn't come up when you type asexual :unsure:

not that im complaining - it is weird seein yourself on tv! but i did it for the awareness too. still weird to think we reached almost 250,000 people!!

Very interesting indeed, thank you whoever put t up on youtube !

Sarah-Sylvia

Awesome. I'm impressed. And happy it got exposure.

• 1 month later...
Nico-Nico Friendo

I just got a chance to see this on YT. Awesome!

• 1 month later...

Hi Hi Y'all!

For anyone in the UK on the 17th and 18th November 2009, there is an Awareness Week at The University of Warwick. I am a Warwick grad and so is Energizer. Tourmaline is in her final year. The week is run by the LGBTUA society and they have organised a number of events to raise awareness about being LGBT, Undefined and Asexual. As an old member of this society I have offered to do a showing of the 30 min part of the BBC doc and speak for a short time and also take questions and answers on the subject. It will last up to 3 hours but I think perhaps a little less. I just wanted to invite you all along as on the tuesday, Tourmaline will be taking part on a panel of people answering questions on LGBTUA topics (representing the A). This is at 2pm. Both events are at Warwick campus so if you'd like to come along and meet us you're more than welcome to if you can get there. Its actually in Coventry, West Midlands but if you'd like to come we can perhaps arrange for someone to meet you at the train station and get you there and on the wednesday i'll happy meet you before and return you to the train station after my session on the Wednesday. We don't have overnight accommodation available but if you're local and wish to pop in, we'd be happy to meet ya! Here's the full itinerary. The society has a few asexual members and a few who have graduated such as myself.

Monday 16th 3pm

Terrence Higgins Trust- Sexual Health Workshop

Monday 16th, 5pm

Cath Lambert talks on Queer Theory

Tuesday 17th, 2pm

LGBTUA Q&A- Everything you ever wanted to know about us, but were too afraid to ask. 'A' stands for Asexual!

with Tourmaline!

Tuesday 17th 6pm

MAS NAINA

Black and Queer [why don't we call this one "White Pride?"]

Wednesday 18th 2pm

ALAN BAILEY

Creative Campaigning Workshop

Wednesday 18th 7.30pm

NICOLA CLITHEROE - Thats me!

Asexuality Documentary

Thursday 19th 4pm

ROWENA RAZAK

LGBT Muslims

Thursday 19th 6pm

VICKI BAARS

LGBT Healthcare Manifesto

Friday 20th 12pm

Manchester Poly- Being Polyamorous

Friday 20th 2pm

Being Trans

Friday 20th 7pm

Leather Family's BDSM Workshop :unsure:

If anyone's interested, PM me and i'll happily sort something out!

Thanks,

Niki :D

• 2 months later...

Hello!

Just a quick post to say I'm Niki and I participated in the documentary on the BBC which discussed the asexuality of 3 young people. The show was Natalie Cassidy's Real Britain. I know some of you saw it on tv or on youtube.

Just letting you know that i'm doing a talk for Cambridge University's Student's Union on 7th February (next Sunday) at Newnham College and if anyone would like to come see it or has any questions then just let me know.

Cheers,

Niki :)

• 1 year later...
Ace Of <3 s

This documentary made me smile broadly for the whole time I was watching it :D Its put me in such a good mood! Thanks for this! I literally only discovered this post now and it is still on there!! With about 2000 views for two of the videos- and about 4000 for the first part xD

The thread was started over 2 years ago and last entry Well over a year ago

This thread was what caused me to join AVEN over 2 years ago. (I'd been lurking for a while but never really saw the point in signing up.) I almost fell off my chair when I read that all 3 of the asexuals being followed were at Warwick university, since I was currently a student there and had no idea. I knew I had to meet these people in person, which I did. tourmaline20 was the first other (open) asexual I met in person, on campus a few weeks after reading this thread, and we're still friends. I soon got involved in Warwick's LGBTUA society. None of the 4 of us are at Warwick uni any more, though I still live 10 min away and often go in.

The documentary is, I believe, still on youtube. There's a link further up the thread.

EDIT: Here it is.

Damnit people, making me triple post.

Part 1 is now available

Part 2 is now available

Part 3 is now available

I'll update this post as the other two segments go up.

I've cut out the other story in the documentary as well as things like the credits at the end, mostly to get the file size down to make this easier for me. I've also given it a rather non-descript name, which will hopefully keep it live a bit longer.

I wondered if it was being repeated and wanted to know which station so I could watch it again. I remember the excitement and anticipation...and it's good to know that it helped at least one person find their way here.

Archived