Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Elluna Hellen

Me and my roommates had a bunch of friends over for dinner and drinks tonight, and at said gathering I met one girl's fiancee for the first time. I couldn't help but notice a black ring on his right hand... Not the middle finger, but I still couldn't help but wonder.

I read somewhere that in some cases a black ring can mean "swinger". Which is kind of bizarre since that's pretty much the opposite of ace. I can't recall if there was a specific finger for this.
IIRC, the swinger ring can be on any finger except the middle finger, because they recognize that the ace community lays claim to that specifically.

Yep, a black ring on the right hand can represent asexuality if it's worn on the middle finger, and can represent swingers if worn on one of the other fingers. I think it's awesome that the swinger community recognizes that asexual people use the middle finger and specifically encourage their members not to use it :)

Source: http://www.lifestylerings.com/faqs.html

That is actually quite amazing that they recognise that! :D

• Like 4

I've had my fair share of moments when I should have realized it, but one of the more obvious ones happened during college. I was walking outside going to meet a friend at their apartment. People were celebrating St. Patrick's Day so they were pretty drunk. A random girl walks by with 2 of her guy friends and says "I'd sleep with him", looking over at me. I knew that sleep was a euphemism for sex but the mental image that popped up was us actually sleeping, no sexual activity involved :blink: Looking back it's one of those moments where my aceness was super obvious.

Another one is more of an incredibly aro moment (with ace elements as well), but it's still kinda funny looking back. I've gone on one date to see what all the fuss is about. My friends are all so caught up in pursuing relationships so it must be important right? Back then I was kinda going through depression and was looking for something to drag me out of it, I know better than to do that to someone now (as it's extremely unfair to another person to expect them to "save you"), but at the time that was part of the reason I did it. Anyways, one of the people at work told me that this girl liked me so I went ahead and asked her out, cuz why not? We went on a date, and I had a great time talking to her, we walked around downtown and just talked about things. At one point, she goes and strokes my shoulder. At the time, I thought, "how odd". Looking back, I realized she probably wanted to hold hands or grab my arm :blush: We didn't really have anything in common so we went our separate ways, and when the guys at work saw that we weren't going out, they all asked me "you at least hit that right?" I told them no, that she wasn't like that. One of the guys goes "No, YOU'RE not like that". Which looking back truer words have never been said ^_^

• Like 11
One Winged Angel

Went online and saw today's google doodle with a pot and kettle. I was like "hmm, anniversary of the kettle? Pot calling kettle black? The date tea was invente...oh he's got a rose out. It's valentines day I forgot."

• Like 14
Dodecahedron314

Went online and saw today's google doodle with a pot and kettle. I was like "hmm, anniversary of the kettle? Pot calling kettle black? The date tea was invente...oh he's got a rose out. It's valentines day I forgot."

Same. I saw that when I was deep in the throes of procrastinating on a paper I'm writing and when I read the alt text to figure out what it was, my reaction was something along the lines of "oh please, Google, just give me my dang Magic: The Gathering lore and keep your frickin' romo out of it."

Wait what no I was definitely not looking up MTG lore at 2am when I was supposed to be writing a humanities paper, what are you talking about?

• Like 3

When I was in high school, I got an assignment for Spanish class to create a Valentine's Day card. After our cards were graded, the teacher did a display, so we could look at each other's cards. My card stuck out, because I decorated it with snakes. Cute snakes with red and silver sequined scales, but still, snakes. My classmates thought I was being funny. Apparently most teenaged girls don't think that Valentine's Day and snakes are compatible.

• Like 14

Wanting friends to respect my need for normalized asexual representation (or headcanons) basically leads to me having to explain that yes, aces can have (and "even" enjoy) sex regardless of their orientation. Please don't say characters can't possibly be asexual "because they had/have sex" and tell me how this is sooo confusing for you... @_@

My problem basically is that someone I'm out to (and have been for a while) should not display such lack of undertsanding about my orientation...when I've been answering so many questions about the topic already. It's not my responsibility to explain everything all the time and it's tiring :/

• Like 7
WinterWanderer

My problem basically is that someone I'm out to (and have been for a while) should not display such lack of undertsanding about my orientation...when I've been answering so many questions about the topic already. It's not my responsibility to explain everything all the time and it's tiring :/

Right!!!

• Like 1
nerdperson777

Don't know if this is ace or not. I was at trans* discussion a few days ago and I was telling the group about how randomly while eating, my nosy parents started asking questions about my friend and her partner (both trans). I know she doesn't want my parents prying information about her but sometimes when I think my parents are being tolerable, I tell them things. This was one of the many times I regretted it. So my mom asked if they were going to have children, since she didn't know that the partner was trans until this conversation. I said that they can't because of that. She then said, "Right, sperm and sperm don't work." *internal facepalm* I had already told her before that my friend had surgery, but that was only because she pried it out of me the day she forced me out of the closet. Not that it made a difference. So the discussion facilitator said that they could adopt. I then said, "Yeah, I'm waiting for them to adopt me."

The other day, I was talking to my ace apartmentmate instead of getting my homework done. I was telling her about how I don't like my theatre professor's way of teaching. Professor teaches us by telling us to use our passions, as said in previous posts. "Everyone wants good sex!" She tends to put aesthetic, sexual, and romantic attraction as one thing. "They're so hot and sexy" as being her explanation all the time. I mentioned before also that I was doing a monologue on Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights and he's telling Nelly the maid about how he tried to open her coffin to be with Catherine (which I say is a queerplatonic partner rather than a romantic one). For the past 18 years, Heathcliff has been haunted by her presence without actually seeing her. But now he's seen her so he can die happy. Professor asks about bringing out that emotion by the idea of consummating together after death. I did explain that it's more like a best friend thing, not that she understood that. I'm not consummating with anyone. Also while doing these monologues, we must have someone in mind for the roles. My friend above is the queerplatonic partner. I think ew, I'm not doing that with her, no matter how much we joke about our imagined characters doing it. So my apartmentmate told me that I should do my homework. I said I'm still thinking about how my professor keeps talking about sex. I left after she joked, "Stop thinking about sex." Whoa there, fine.

I just came across this Tumblr post, and immediately started gushing over all the cute animals. I only realized when I saw the URL at the end of the post that the same guy was in all of the pictures, and that they were all supposed to highlight how "hot" he is. I don't get how anybody stops to pay attention to something like that when there are cute animals to be seen, but that's people with misplaced priorities for you :D

But...he wanted to bite that dog's head! How is that a good thing?

• Like 3
Nea Rose Symphony

When I was in high school, I got an assignment for Spanish class to create a Valentine's Day card. After our cards were graded, the teacher did a display, so we could look at each other's cards. My card stuck out, because I decorated it with snakes. Cute snakes with red and silver sequined scales, but still, snakes. My classmates thought I was being funny. Apparently most teenaged girls don't think that Valentine's Day and snakes are compatible.

Why wouldn't they be? You can wrap snakes in a romantic heart shape :p

• Like 1

Definitely an ace moment when I decided to wear entirely purple, black, white, and gray BECAUSE it was Valentines Day.

• Like 11

I would be DELIGHTED by such a Valentine's Card. In fact, I wouldn't accept any other !

Oh yes, teachers who talk about sex as a motif or use it as an analogy in literature and theatre classes...and I'm always like "Could you explain that with another metaphor ? Cause I really don't..."

• Like 7

So there's this quest in a game I'm playing that has the sole purpose of giving the female characters in the story mode nude character portraits. (It's about a hot spring.)

I'm playing the other mode that lets you create your own characters, and apparently that quest was a good opportunity for them to reveal one of them is asexual. (My characters do everything without my input and I'm just watching them.)

So no complaints about mixed bathing. The ace guy didn't care, the (most likely) sexual girls didn't care, Sasha* didn't care, and the wolf didn't care anyway.

(*Sasha is kind of their own gender)

• Like 2
DannyFenton123

When two people in a french educational scene are apparently flirting. Everybody else says that you can tell by their body language, I just think they look hilariously awkward xD

• Like 5

Me and my roommates had a bunch of friends over for dinner and drinks tonight, and at said gathering I met one girl's fiancee for the first time. I couldn't help but notice a black ring on his right hand... Not the middle finger, but I still couldn't help but wonder.

I read somewhere that in some cases a black ring can mean "swinger". Which is kind of bizarre since that's pretty much the opposite of ace. I can't recall if there was a specific finger for this.
IIRC, the swinger ring can be on any finger except the middle finger, because they recognize that the ace community lays claim to that specifically.

Yep, a black ring on the right hand can represent asexuality if it's worn on the middle finger, and can represent swingers if worn on one of the other fingers. I think it's awesome that the swinger community recognizes that asexual people use the middle finger and specifically encourage their members not to use it :)

Source: http://www.lifestylerings.com/faqs.html

That's both surprising and very awesome. I guess it's safe to say that community is fully "open minded" since they can appreciate people who are the opposite of them.

Although one angle of this really makes me cringe... since I know someone who wears a black ring on his right ring finger, and the mental image of him having swinger "get togethers" makes me want to punch myself in the head LOL :)

Although one angle of this really makes me cringe... since I know someone who wears a black ring on his right ring finger, and the mental image of him having swinger "get togethers" makes me want to punch myself in the head LOL :)

IIt could be that the person doesn't know it's a swinger symbol, just like some people wear ace rings without realizing they're ace rings. I think the symbols are cool, and can in some cases tell about a community someone is in, but I try not to assume too much about a person just based on whether or not they wear a black ring.

• Like 3

IIt could be that the person doesn't know it's a swinger symbol, just like some people wear ace rings without realizing they're ace rings. I think the symbols are cool, and can in some cases tell about a community someone is in, but I try not to assume too much about a person just based on whether or not they wear a black ring.

True, I'll roll with that!

Well, there's been yet another incident of this:

1) Ace likes TV character for their personality/character

2) Ace discovers other people find this person sexy

3) Ace thinks this is hilarious--setting aside the TV character, the actor looks totally normal

Again, and again, and again. I've heard that bees see colors humans can't see (how would anyone know?). Do you suppose sexuals have something like that?

• Like 10

3) Ace thinks this is hilarious--setting aside the TV character, the actor looks totally normal

Again, and again, and again. I've heard that bees see colors humans can't see (how would anyone know?). Do you suppose sexuals have something like that?

Yes, I've had that reaction too. David Duchovny? Eh. His character Fox Mulder? Bingo!

• Like 2

Yes, I've had that reaction too. David Duchovny? Eh. His character Fox Mulder? Bingo!

Oh my God, I never considered before that people might be like that ? Ok, I know about aesthetic appreciation but that seems a bit out of my orbit XD

Once I accidently almost insulted someone through my aceness. Though it was years ago I'm still so sorry about that ! We went as a group to a concert and one among us was a lesbian, During a break asked them (I don't excatly remember) if they found one of them especially appealing. She said "I'm a lesbian !" and I responded with "Yeah sure I know, but from an objective point." It didn't even occur to me that they could mistake my question as "sexual attraction". I meant if someone and their play spoke to them especially or something...

• Like 3

Fun at the doctor's office:

Doc: "And how old are you?"

Me: "28"

Doc: "Any routine recreational drug use? Alcohol, marijuana, etc.?"

Me: "No"

Doc: "Are you sexually active?"

Me: "No."

Doc: "Have you..." Double take. "Have you ever been hospitalized?"

• Like 15
HoneyBadger97

I was getting annoyed at a concert on Monday because there was a couple near me who where practically making out the whole time. To add extra irony a repeated line in the chorous of one song the band played when I first noticed them was "I don't wanna be in love"

• Like 6
nerdperson777

9a81461fef5cbe034c0785db895345f119391455

• Like 6
DoctorWhatPhD

I have a friend who keep suggesting we go to a strip club, and each time I'm like "Why? That doesn't sound very fun."

I just came out to him the other day, so we'll see if he suggests it again.

• Like 6
nerdperson777

Unique ace moment? There's this girl in my school's LGBT center. She looks a lot like kelico with the hair and face. I know it's not kelico because I believe they're on the East Coast and this is the West Coast. The biggest reason it's not them is because they flipped off their friend (although casually).

• Like 1

One of my friends this morning told the people at our table to 'spell attic'. I did that in my head of course, and she started laughing and then asked if I got it or not. My reaction "I understand it. I don't understand why you find it funny though."

• Like 4

I literally forgot Valentine's day was an actual holiday. Someone reminded me of it 2 days ago when they asked me what i did for it.

• Like 3

I literally forgot Valentine's day was an actual holiday. Someone reminded me of it 2 days ago when they asked me what i did for it.

I just told people I ripped out peoples' hearts and gave them to their significant other to represent their undying love for each other.

• Like 7

I just told people I ripped out peoples' hearts and gave them to their significant other to represent their undying love for each other.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! XD 10/10

• Like 3
Anthracite_Impreza

One of my friends this morning told the people at our table to 'spell attic'. I did that in my head of course, and she started laughing and then asked if I got it or not. My reaction "I understand it. I don't understand why you find it funny though."

I don't get it.
  • Like 2

200px-Nala_the_LOOK600.jpg

I watched the Lion King with C. yesterday, and we got to the part suggesting romance between Simba and Nala. So I kind of felt moved by the music and the way the two characters looked at each other, and I looked at C. and she looked back smiling, and later I asked her what she'd felt in that moment, and she said she had enjoyed the music and didn't even notice anything romantic was supposed to be going on in the movie. :<

#aromanticmoments

• Like 5