Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Deleted Person

I had a rather interesting moment today. For Halloween, we were allowed to wear costumes today at work. I didn't put any thought into it until this morning and I saw a hat I've had for years and though "I never get to wear this, so why don't I just add clothes to match and I'll just figure out exactly what I'm going to be later. This hat is a white tiger striped fedora, and I wore a black shirt with a white cami underneath to match.

The first words out of my co workers mouth was that I looked like a pimp. I then proceeded to freak out just a little bit and have her take a pic with my phone and send to my friends and ask what they think. They all agreed. Then several customers commented that they really liked my pimp hat.... :redface:

So I unknowingly was a pimp (or Madame as one of my co workers called it) for Halloween. :redface: :redface:

Personally I think that was the best costume you could have chosen for an asexual... :lol:

• Like 3
temporalscavenger

So my mom read me this "reader advice" thing from the paper that she said even I would find obvious. It was from some woman whose husband didn't want to have sex and was always tired and would get rid of his morning wood by showering immediately, and my mom commented on how obvious it was. I has no idea until she said it was obviously an affair. I hadn't even considered that!

I guess I am also oblivious, because I still don't get how that means he obviously has to be having an affair. :/
I think the wife is thinking he doesn't want sex with her, so instead he deals with it himself or is getting "it" on the side (i.e. at work or some other venue) thus the reason why he's "always tired" and why the assumption that he's having an affair on the part of the wife. Or, in other words, he's cheating on her with another person.
Well no, the wife has no idea. My mom says that it's super obvious. In hindsight it kind of is, but I guess only he knows. :P

OK, I misread your original comment. The wife can't figure out what's going on? It may seem obvious to some, then, but there could any number of factors to which we, the readers, aren't privy to and I'll bet there's more to the situation than just what we're seeing. I'd like to read the original letter though ...
Found it!

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My husband is capable of having sex with me, but he won't. I have tried everything. I even wore my black lace teddy with the stockings; he went downstairs to work on his model train. I know he's capable because he wakes up every morning that way (you know what I mean), but then he runs for the cold shower. Runs!

Last night, I asked him why he doesn't want to have sex with me and he said: "You wouldn't want to know." What does that mean? He claims his energy is all gone from work, the gym, meetings, sports games and poker nights. He doesn't get home until late five nights a week, but I'm still awake and ready to go. Why won't he give me what I want and need so badly -- his lovin'? -- Broken Hearted, East Kildonan

PS Miss Lonelyhearts also said it might be an affair.

• Like 1

So my mom read me this "reader advice" thing from the paper that she said even I would find obvious. It was from some woman whose husband didn't want to have sex and was always tired and would get rid of his morning wood by showering immediately, and my mom commented on how obvious it was. I has no idea until she said it was obviously an affair. I hadn't even considered that!

I guess I am also oblivious, because I still don't get how that means he obviously has to be having an affair. :/
I think the wife is thinking he doesn't want sex with her, so instead he deals with it himself or is getting "it" on the side (i.e. at work or some other venue) thus the reason why he's "always tired" and why the assumption that he's having an affair on the part of the wife. Or, in other words, he's cheating on her with another person.
Well no, the wife has no idea. My mom says that it's super obvious. In hindsight it kind of is, but I guess only he knows. :P
OK, I misread your original comment. The wife can't figure out what's going on? It may seem obvious to some, then, but there could any number of factors to which we, the readers, aren't privy to and I'll bet there's more to the situation than just what we're seeing. I'd like to read the original letter though ...
Found it!

DEAR MISS LONELYHEARTS: My husband is capable of having sex with me, but he won't. I have tried everything. I even wore my black lace teddy with the stockings; he went downstairs to work on his model train. I know he's capable because he wakes up every morning that way (you know what I mean), but then he runs for the cold shower. Runs!

Last night, I asked him why he doesn't want to have sex with me and he said: "You wouldn't want to know." What does that mean? He claims his energy is all gone from work, the gym, meetings, sports games and poker nights. He doesn't get home until late five nights a week, but I'm still awake and ready to go. Why won't he give me what I want and need so badly -- his lovin'? -- Broken Hearted, East Kildonan

Now that does sound like he's having an affair.

The Cakemeister

Found it!

Now that does sound like he's having an affair.

Maybe he realized that he's gay? That would certainly explain not being interested in having sex with her and her not wanting to know.

• Like 3

Well, it could be an affair. Or he could just be really mad at her, or uncomfortable with sex all of a sudden, or hell, he could have some sort of transmittable rash down there that he doesn't want to give her and is also too embarrassed to tell her about (especially because it may lead her to assume he cheated...)

• Like 2

In the end, short of intruding into these people's lives, we'll never know how it plays out for them. I think this discussion has been an interesting example of how different people react to the same information and how different minds and/or orientations interpret that information. To quote Spock: "Fascinating." :)

• Like 4

I had a good one today. A friend was talking about someone he knew who was behaving in a bizarrely uncharacteristic manner. He said "It would be like ... like you pointing at a girl and saying 'look at the tits on that!' "

What can I say - he knows me well!

• Like 10

STI stands for sexually transmitted infection?!

I thought it stood for Subaru Tecnica International

awww this made me super happy! I love Subies ^-^

• Like 1

I went to a psychic fair for Halloween. One of the people there told me that because of my zodiac sign and my energy I would make the perfect spouse, and gave me advice on what colors would be luckiest to wear on dates. I just laughed.

• Like 7
Quintus Crinis

Found it!

have to admit I can see the "he's having an affair" thinking. But it's just as plausible that he's coming to terms with being ace, but worried about how his wife would take the news - let's face it those who have talked about their experiences of coming out to a spouse on here haven't always had good stories. Same about the idea that maybe he's realised he's gay. Although could be a number of things to be honest.

• Like 2

Today's fun wasn't necessarily an ace moment, perhaps it was more of an aromantic moment. Or just an awkward moment in general. I sing with a small group of other girls at our school's campus Mass. Afterward, a recent graduate (who is from Scotland) came up and talked to us. It went a little like this:

Scottish guy: You all sounded great.

Us: Thank you!

guy walks away

Other girls: That accent! - said while swooning over the guy

Me: ....

• Like 6

This happened a long time ago, I was still in high school. I was sitting quietly at a table with a group of associates.

Two girls at the table were talking about spooning. These things popped up in my head in this order:

1) " ??"

2) why add " -ing" to spoon?

3) flatware...

and then I attempted to talk about FORKS.

they just giggle while I'm left clueless.

• Like 6

This happened this morning in a conversation with three of my friends. Let's call them Amanda, Bridget, and Chris. For the purposes of this story my boyfriend's name is John.

Bridget and Amanda are talking about how they're going to go to the mall later and let me know I'm welcome to join if I'd like. I have a lot of homework to do, so I tell them it's not likely. They continue to tell me and Chris about their plans to use their gift cards to Victoria's Secret, Bath and Body Works, and other places, and keep trying to convince me to come. I want to - it sounds fun - but I really don't think I have time.

That's when Chris says, "John would like it if you went."

:huh:

I'm confused because I don't see why on earth my boyfriend would care if I went to the mall... He's studying abroad this semester, so it's not like the alternative would be hanging out with him... And what does he care, really, if I go shopping... As I'm running through all of these possibilities in my mind, Bridget and Amanda are laughing, because apparently Chris said something funny with that previous comment.

Me: "Why would John care if I went shopping...?"

Bridget or Amanda: "...at Victoria's Secret..."

Me: :blush:

(Even if I had gone shopping with them and decided to overpay for something at VS, no way would John be seeing it.....)

• Like 5

This thread has really diffused my anger tonight. Thanks for the laughter! So here's my most telling moment.

In middle school, I was a bit of a social outcast. Nerd-tastic to the point of winning the science fair in a school where sports were practically worshipped. Maddie doesn't sweat. Never has. Anyway... I got the guts to ask the most popular guy in school to a dance, and he said yes!

I sincerely sat there as my friends were all "Go dance with him!!" repeatedly. Finally, he got the hint I was clueless on what to do and asked me to dance. I walked to the dance floor with him and stared at him for a good minute, then abruptly excused myself and ran to the pay phone. I called my parents and asked they pick me up right away.

"Why, Hun? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Yeah! No, everything is fine. I just... I'm not ready for this."

I think Mom was tremendously relieved. Unfortunately, I never said goodbye to the poor guy and couldn't make eye contact with him ever again. Ah, 8th grade. How I do not miss thee.

Sarcastic Bob

When guys say "want to?" as an invitation to sex (without even knowing you! gross) and you devise good comebacks, like:

1. "three four?"

2. ignoring them

3. "want to what? if it's not something you can call up your mother and ask for, then the answer is no... okay, get out your phone and call your mother then. you want to use my phone?"

4. "want to what? go fishing? receive money? YOU'RE BUYING ME A PONY AREN'T YOU?!"

5. "I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT I'M SORRY"

Do people actually do that outside of swinger's parties and that? Bloody hell. I knew today's society was a bit decadent, but... jesus.

I know people always say that they don't want to live on this planet anymore, but after reading that I am seriously tempted to join NASA and start scanning for habitable planets. There have to be a few, just by the law of averages. Then all I have to do is wait a few billion years for primitive lifeforms to emerge and hey, job's a good'un.

• Like 3
CrossingRivers

So, I've just been baffled by my English homework. We're reading Shakespeare's sonnets, and in 138, it says "When my love swears that she is made of truth / I do believe her, though I know she lies." The endnote says that it's an "obvious sexual pun," but I think the book needs to reword, because I didn't get it at all at first. I think that I understand now -- that it's talking about cheating -- but it most certainly wasn't "obvious," as they claim. Also, I'm still not entirely sure why it's a pun.

• Like 5

So, I've just been baffled by my English homework. We're reading Shakespeare's sonnets, and in 138, it says "When my love swears that she is made of truth / I do believe her, though I know she lies." The endnote says that it's an "obvious sexual pun," but I think the book needs to reword, because I didn't get it at all at first. I think that I understand now -- that it's talking about cheating -- but it most certainly wasn't "obvious," as they claim. Also, I'm still not entirely sure why it's a pun.

I was never very good at parsing Shakespeare's meanings myself so I got curious and looked it up.

I don't know if these will help, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnet_138#Interpretations or http://shakespeare-online.com/sonnets/138detail.html - which has a nice breakdown at the bottom about how the word "lies" has double meaning for the poet - i.e. lies (have sex) with another and lies (tell falsehoods) to each other.

• Like 3

I was never very good at parsing Shakespeare's meanings myself so I got curious and looked it up.

I don't know if these will help, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonnet_138#Interpretations or http://shakespeare-online.com/sonnets/138detail.html - which has a nice breakdown at the bottom about how the word "lies" has double meaning for the poet - i.e. lies (have sex) with another and lies (tell falsehoods) to each other.

I never would have seen that pun, or even caught on that they were talking about cheating. I just assumed they were talking about a lover being dishonest about something in the relationship

I wonder if things like this is why I was never good at English and went into the sciences instead. :/

• Like 2
nerdperson777

Not sure if this really qualifies as a moment but, my friend is a little bit into palm reading. That top line, the heart line, of my hand makes a slight smooth ramp so it's supposed to mean I don't have a love life, which is quite true. Also, unrelated, my ring finger is longer than my index finger so someone said that's supposed to imply something. Males have longer ring fingers so it's a sign of whether someone is gay. Hard to say since I have abnormally big hands for my size.

Re finger length: Digit ratio

It has been suggested by some scientists that the ratio of two digits in particular, the 2nd (index finger) and 4th (ring finger), is affected by exposure to androgens e.g. testosterone while in the uterus and that this 2D:4D ratio can be considered a crude measure for prenatal androgen exposure...

Importantly, there has been no correlation between the sex hormone levels of an adult and the individuals 2D:4D, which implies that it is strictly the exposure in utero that causes this phenomenon.

• Like 1
CrossingRivers

I never would have seen that pun, or even caught on that they were talking about cheating. I just assumed they were talking about a lover being dishonest about something in the relationship

I wonder if things like this is why I was never good at English and went into the sciences instead. :/

We discussed it in class today, and I was right about the cheating [the only reason I suspected it was because the endnote used the word "unfaithful" (I'm not sure, but I think that's cheating)]. Apparently, there are a lot of words in that poem that have double meanings (most of which I didn't understand).

By the way, thanks for the articles, fuzzi.

Let's just say I prefer some of his other sonnets, like 116, which is about more than simply romantic love.

Funny enough, my teacher did say that she found 138 to be rather disturbing (and I have to agree).

• Like 2

I just learned, at the tender age of 36, that "hooking up" means "having sex". I had no idea, I thought it was synonymous with "hang out". Unless...does that mean "that" too?

I am in college right now and the definition I know for it and the one my peers use is that hooking up is an umbrella term that encompasses everything from kissing up until everything right before sex. But it does not include sex. It could mean a lot of different things and it is kept vague on purpose I think.

I once read a story and they were talking about virginity. The guy had asked the girl if she was a virgin while she was eating a hamburger, and she said she used to be but was 'in the process' of not being (or something along those lines; basically flirting with the guy). I had no idea what a virgin was, so reading into the context of the story I thought it meant vegetarian because she was eating a hamburger.

A few days later, I was thinking about how my grandmother never ate meat while I was in the car with my entire family heading somewhere. I finally looked up from my thoughts and I asked my parents "Is grandma a virgin?".

Needless to say I was really confused when they all burst out into laughter.

That just made my evening... xD

Wait...

It can't be...

COMIC SANS!?!"

NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!!!!! xD

Actually, I don't really get what people don't like about it... I see WAY more annoying-to-read fonts in places... lol

Spoilered solely because this got long and I don't want to clog the thread... I have been away from this for awhile.. :(

Re finger length: Digit ratio

It has been suggested by some scientists that the ratio of two digits in particular, the 2nd (index finger) and 4th (ring finger), is affected by exposure to androgens e.g. testosterone while in the uterus and that this 2D:4D ratio can be considered a crude measure for prenatal androgen exposure...

Importantly, there has been no correlation between the sex hormone levels of an adult and the individuals 2D:4D, which implies that it is strictly the exposure in utero that causes this phenomenon.

Well, maybe that's why I wound up in male-dominated fields, with mostly male-friends, and decidedly unfeminine interests (for the most part)... (I'm a girl, but I have the same digit ratio. lol)

However, I just remembered the time a few years ago when I received my first, one and only, "booty call." They had dialed the wrong number. Partly because it was 2:00am, and partly because I'm slow at realizing these things, I let it go much longer than was necessary. Because I really, REALLY wanted to figure out who it was that was calling me. But then when he started saying even more suggestive things about coming over and picturing me wearing whatever it was he was picturing me wearing, I knew for sure I didn't know him and told him he had the wrong number. He exclaimed, "This isn't Angie?!!" and then apologized profusely. It was hilarious. So surreal. I mean, of all people for this to happen to... and, by the way, who DOES this happen to??

Well, not quite the same thing, but I worked in an IT company years ago, and had to call a vendor (Microsoft, in fact). We kept a contact list of numbers for vendors, since most of them had "company" support numbers that weren't always listed on the websites. Long story short, I called the number in the contact, and was definitely NOT expecting the "sultry" voice I got at the other end of the phone! (and at work, no less!! I count my blessings that the phone was NOT on speaker at the time, since I would often do that so I could do other stuff while waiting through the hold times!)

Apparently, whoever wrote it in dyslexic'ed the numbers... (unintentionally or otherwise... lol)

Wait, sexting refers to sending nude pics? I always thought it meant cybering/dirty talk through the medium of SMS texts? :huh:

I do understand the latter. The former is straight WTF territory though, especially when it's sent to random acquaintances and strangers instead of actual sex partners... :blink:

I always thought both could be considered sexting. Don't quote me on that though, because I've never been interested in sexting either.

I could be wrong, but I always kinda thought that the dirty-talking via txt was cybering - but it actually had never even dawned on me that ppl talked that way through text... lol

I suspect I'm pretty much the same way. Mostly I only realise I've had one by looking back at things I've said or had to puzzle over, but when I look back I don't actually remember a lot of dirty humour/conversations and I realise it's because I usually just tune out any conversation I find boring (which most definitely included anything that involved sex, boys or relationships!). In fact when I was a teenager I was known to often be 'on standby' until someone directed a question directly to me, at which point I'd 'switch back on' to answer. I do it less these days, but I think I still do it a lot. I guess when you have a hearing problem, it's just too much effort to keep up when you have nothing to contribute anyway. :P

Actually in school I had one friend who made it her mission to explain every single dirty joke or swear to me (Because it was important to know the exact details and not just "Yes this is dirty/swearing"), and I nearly always just switched off instantly and nodded or smiled at the appropriate points until she seemed satisfied. By the time we left school she was getting annoyed with me because "she had explained this one already" (Whenever a joke would come up she would basically quiz me). I never had the heart to tell her I didn't actually care to learn what they meant in the first place and was more then happy to stay completely innocent. I think everyone knew I was ace before it even occurred to me.

I thought it was just me that "tuned out" on conversations! I also have hearing issues, and it just gets downright tiring sometimes to keep up...

• Like 1

So I seem to be learning more and more about how clueless I am. However I don't know if I can actually ask my sexual friends about this, because to me the leap between what a co worker said and what she meant seems massive.

So we had a group of three guys wearing business suits come in. After they left, she asked me which one I though was the most attractive. I told her. Her next question was "who do you think has the biggest penis."

I was so flustered at first and then said "I don't even want to think about it."

This happened yesterday. Today she was telling my boss about it. She found it so funny how flustered I was I guess. Anyway, she seemed to think she had asked me which one I would have sex with instead of the size of their male parts.

I don't know if those two questions are interchangeable in the context of the first. To me they were two completely different questions. I spent the next hour ranting in my head about how I would guess who was bigger was in no way related to who I would want to have sex with.

Granted, this is the co worker who refuses to believe that I'm ace and I guess is always trying to figure out just who is my type. I seem to be discovering that even my best friends don't quite get it and convince me I just need to 'try it once' before knowing.

Granted, this is the co worker who refuses to believe that I'm ace and I guess is always trying to figure out just who is my type. I seem to be discovering that even my best friends don't quite get it and convince me I just need to 'try it once' before knowing.

Tell them they need to try eating a pile of dung before knocking it.

(Sorry, that assumption just gets me, and I've heard it more times than I can count...)

• Like 2

So I seem to be learning more and more about how clueless I am. However I don't know if I can actually ask my sexual friends about this, because to me the leap between what a co worker said and what she meant seems massive.

So we had a group of three guys wearing business suits come in. After they left, she asked me which one I though was the most attractive. I told her. Her next question was "who do you think has the biggest penis."

I was so flustered at first and then said "I don't even want to think about it."

This happened yesterday. Today she was telling my boss about it. She found it so funny how flustered I was I guess. Anyway, she seemed to think she had asked me which one I would have sex with instead of the size of their male parts.

I don't know if those two questions are interchangeable in the context of the first. To me they were two completely different questions. I spent the next hour ranting in my head about how I would guess who was bigger was in no way related to who I would want to have sex with.

If I were your boss and an underling was telling me this story, I would have told them to stop talking to me about it because that is just a sexual harassment lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Like 2
Cereal Tendencies

2 ace moments I just remembered last night:

1) (this happened 3 years ago I think) I was in the car with my friends going somewhere I can't remember. I was sitting in the passenger seat and my friend leaves me in charge of the music, so I start scrolling through her playlist and come across "Wet the Bed" by Chris Brown. I point it out and start laughing like an idiot :P

She gets embarrassed (we had a male friend riding with us) and yells at me, telling me that it meant something else.

2) (this was much more recent) Same friend (lol) comes over to my place. The TV's in my brother's room so we hang out there for a while. My brother had to sleep on a futon at the time because his bed broke during the move (we moved there at the beginning of the year). So my friend asks why he doesn't have a regular bed and I casually answer "Oh, his bed broke."

The look she gave me XD

To this day I wonder why she didn't take me seriously when I told her I was ace, it seems she has more than enough proof lol

• Like 5
Deleted Person

2 ace moments I just remembered last night:

1) (this happened 3 years ago I think) I was in the car with my friends going somewhere I can't remember. I was sitting in the passenger seat and my friend leaves me in charge of the music, so I start scrolling through her playlist and come across "Wet the Bed" by Chris Brown. I point it out and start laughing like an idiot :P

She gets embarrassed (we had a male friend riding with us) and yells at me, telling me that it meant something else.

2)(this was much more recent) Same friend (lol) comes over to my place. The TV's in my brother's room so we hang out there for a while. My brother had to sleep on a futon at the time because his bed broke during the move (we moved there at the beginning of the year). So my friend asks why he doesn't have a regular bed and I casually answer "Oh, his bed broke."

The look she gave me XD

To this day I wonder why she didn't take me seriously when I told her I was ace, it seems she has more than enough proof lol

The second one reminds me of a conversation I had in a chat room about a year ago that went something like this:

Friend: This is going to sound terrible but I need a new bed. We keep breaking them... but it's not what you think!

Me: *wasn't thinking anything* Oh well beds don't last forever. They only have a life span of 10 years or something. Actually, I probably need a new one too thinking about it.

Friend: No, I mean I've only had it a year and I need to replace it again already.

Me: ...maybe you need to buy a better quality bed? What do you do to keep breaking them?

Friend: .....

I only worked out what she actually was worried I was thinking about a few months ago. I thought she was jumping on them, or damaged it in a house move! :D

• Like 6

Jerk friends came over for Halloween party and ended up going out to car to bang for almost an hour.....are you kidding me? Then they came inside like nothing happened and were trying to fist bump me....like hell no I am not going to let you touch me after that.....ick.

• Like 6