Incredibly Ace Moments

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

EmotionalAndroid

Apparently a lot of people go out and do things on Friday nights -- "date night", if you will. I just spent my evening watching 1950's game shows on the Internet. This is what boring, socially anxious aro aces do on their wild and crazy Friday nights. xD

8 hours ago, Stargazer365 said:

Since I'm not a handy person, I'd like a man to do the household things I don't want to do, like fixing plumbing issues, dealing with repair people, finding where critters are getting in, hanging Christmas lights, installing light fixtures, and stuff like that.  Other than that, I don't know why women need men either.:D

A while ago my mom started one of those "When you get married...." spiels and I said for the millionth time that I was never getting married. She then went on to list all these household tasks like fixing the roof and opening jars and asked who was going to do that for me then. So apparently the whole institution of marriage is to get a full-time handyman and jar-opener? I thought that is what workmen and silicone jar-opening kitchen tools were for.....silly me.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

Apparently a lot of people go out and do things on Friday nights -- "date night", if you will. I just spent my evening watching 1950's game shows on the Internet. This is what boring, socially anxious aro aces do on their wild and crazy Friday nights. xD

A while ago my mom started one of those "When you get married...." spiels and I said for the millionth time that I was never getting married. She then went on to list all these household tasks like fixing the roof and opening jars and asked who was going to do that for me then. So apparently the whole institution of marriage is to get a full-time handyman and jar-opener? I thought that is what workmen and silicone jar-opening kitchen tools were for.....silly me.

I've spent most of my Friday nights for the past 6 years at theatre rehearsals, they can get quite wild and crazy, though, so maybe I'm not that weird after all ^_^

And in my family it's my mom who does all the repairs and I'm the one who opens the jars, so if that's all you need men for I'm not sure why my dad is here... Maybe because he's the one who usually drives the car?

• Like 1

I spent my friday evening watching supernatural and playing video games.And I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 3
Dodecahedron314

I *had* the opportunity to go to a party this Friday night...instead I finished a cosplay and watched Amelie with some friends in my dorm, 2/3 of whom are also ace (I'm going to Paris with one of them next month, and we're planning on going to as many places featured in the movie as we can). IMHO, crafts and a movie were the far superior option in terms of not having to deal with social anxiety or drunk and/or uncomfortably sexual people. I've never understood people who are into the whole partying scene, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose? Just give me needlework, a good movie/TV show, and like-minded people, and I'm happy. 

• Like 9
On 2/25/2017 at 7:08 AM, EmotionalAndroid said:

• Like 1
On 2/25/2017 at 11:03 AM, Dodecahedron314 said:

I *had* the opportunity to go to a party this Friday night...instead I finished a cosplay and watched Amelie with some friends in my dorm, 2/3 of whom are also ace (I'm going to Paris with one of them next month, and we're planning on going to as many places featured in the movie as we can). IMHO, crafts and a movie were the far superior option in terms of not having to deal with social anxiety or drunk and/or uncomfortably sexual people. I've never understood people who are into the whole partying scene, but different strokes for different folks, I suppose? Just give me needlework, a good movie/TV show, and like-minded people, and I'm happy. 

• Like 1
Dodecahedron314
7 hours ago, Ace_Machina said:

I completely agree. I would rather all that instead of drinking etc. What cosplay btw? Fellow cosplayer here :)

A godtier Rogue of Space outfit, from Homestuck (yes, I'm that kind of fandom trash...though I'm also planning on RGB from The Property of Hate and Morpheus from Sandman for future cons, and went to one as Carlos the Scientist from Welcome to Night Vale last year). If you'd like, I can send pictures if you PM me. Which cosplays have you done?

• Like 1

Was playing Farcry 3 at the same time as my friend when I get to the part where the main character goes on some "spiritual battle" (while on drugs). When he wakes up he is clearly having sex with the tribe leader (or well she's having sex with him). I asked my friend "why the hell is she dancing on top of me" which he then reaffirmed to me that she was having sex...felt like such an idiot

• Like 5
59 minutes ago, Marrow said:

Was playing Farcry 3 at the same time as my friend when I get to the part where the main character goes on some "spiritual battle" (while on drugs). When he wakes up he is clearly having sex with the tribe leader (or well she's having sex with him). I asked my friend "why the hell is she dancing on top of me" which he then reaffirmed to me that she was having sex...felt like such an idiot

It was about that point in the game where I wished I could take my bow and arrow and snipe her in the head for being a sex offender. At least at the end of the game...

you can be like "f*** your tribe, f*** your island, and get the f*** outta my life  you homicidal rapist. I ain't about this life. I'm going home." And then she gets killed by that other minor ally dude on accident which is fine by me.

22 hours ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

Hiring a handyman is waaay cheaper than having a spouse.

• Like 6
On 2/25/2017 at 11:42 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

A godtier Rogue of Space outfit, from Homestuck (yes, I'm that kind of fandom trash...though I'm also planning on RGB from The Property of Hate and Morpheus from Sandman for future cons, and went to one as Carlos the Scientist from Welcome to Night Vale last year). If you'd like, I can send pictures if you PM me. Which cosplays have you done?

• Like 2

This isn't much of an ace moment but two clips of a movie (Captain Fantastic) that made me grin.

Spoiler

the youngest kid gets sex education, tw: rape mention

Spoiler

and then gets a present that doesn't induce joy (I laughed so much) - start at minute 1:54

Spoiler

• Like 1
Forest Spirit

Sort of an aroace/being a loner and astrophysicist-to-be moment: me in Passengers "spendig the rest of my life, alone on a spaceship flying through the universe with access to amazing gear and knowledge, being able to do whatever I want? That sounds wonderful!"

• Like 5

I was watching this youtube video where someone explained how they are really interested in mountains but not mountaineering: "I really like mountains from afar but I don't feel the need to be on top of them".  My immediate thought was "that's me as an asexual! ".  I really like people (mountains)  and I've recently gotten more into sex education (mountaineering) but I'm really not interested in getting geared up and climbing a mountain:D

• Like 9
EmotionalAndroid

This is actually an aromantic asexual agender moment..... I also want to say that this moment happened before I knew I was aro ace and definitely before I felt I was agender, too.

I am in a very male-dominated field, so there are often conferences for "women" in the field. No, I don't understand why, really. I think that such conferences are kind of BS, but I was more-or-less forced to go to one once and the whole time I felt like none of it related to me anyway, for a lot of reasons. Most of the talks, including the keynote, were about "How to be a professional woman while also raising a family!". <_< And I am thinking "Really? That is your biggest concern? Not sexism or trying to improve the balance in the workforce? Ok then...."

During most of the talks, I spent my time counting the dots on the ceiling tiles. This is actually what I remember most about the whole BS conference....the ceiling tiles.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

This is actually an aromantic asexual agender moment..... I also want to say that this moment happened before I knew I was aro ace and definitely before I felt I was agender, too.

I am in a very male-dominated field, so there are often conferences for "women" in the field. No, I don't understand why, really. I think that such conferences are kind of BS, but I was more-or-less forced to go to one once and the whole time I felt like none of it related to me anyway, for a lot of reasons. Most of the talks, including the keynote, were about "How to be a professional woman while also raising a family!". <_< And I am thinking "Really? That is your biggest concern? Not sexism or trying to improve the balance in the workforce? Ok then...."

During most of the talks, I spent my time counting the dots on the ceiling tiles. This is actually what I remember most about the whole BS conference....the ceiling tiles.

How many were there?

• Like 3
EmotionalAndroid

I just remembered another ace moment which occurred way before I knew asexuality was a thing. I was forced to go to see the movie "The Hangover 2" in theaters (long story) and I closed my eyes for literally the entire movie. I think I plugged my ears once or twice, too. *shudders* That whole day was just not one of the best experiences...

#RepulsedAceProblems

2 hours ago, trombonistnicole said:

How many were there?

Haha, I don't remember the exact number. I just remember what the ceiling looked like. :P

• Like 2

Always winning "never have I ever". Always.

• Like 6
nerdperson777
On 2/24/2017 at 2:59 PM, Stargazer365 said:

Since I'm not a handy person, I'd like a man to do the household things I don't want to do, like fixing plumbing issues, dealing with repair people, finding where critters are getting in, hanging Christmas lights, installing light fixtures, and stuff like that.  Other than that, I don't know why women need men either.:D

I can totally relate to this.  I actually work for a fire agency and I am always asked about the gorgeous firemen and if I'm n a relationship with one.  When I say I'm not dating any of them I'm told my place of employment is wasted on me.  I don't think so.  I just love looking at fire trucks.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:42 PM, Dodecahedron314 said:

I would like to join the cosplay conversation.  My list only contains 2-3 that involved making something.  Depression has put me out of it for a bit.  But I have this thing where I don't want to just dress like the character, I want to know the character and not just someone who only likes their outfit.  My cosplay list so far is Ezio (Assassin's Creed Brotherhood) and James Kidd (AC IV Black Flag).  I bought clothes for two anime characters from the same series, Waver Velvet from Fate/Zero and Shirou Emiya from Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Unlimited Blade Works.  Apparently my last version was from Prisma Illya since I colored my arm.  I also made his twin swords.  I was supposed to be in a performance as a character called Ace but my friend, the organizer, took me out of it so I got almost $400 down the drain from buying a costume that didn't last and a few other props.  My next costume may be another Assassin's Creed one.  I also want to do Nagisa Shiota from the anime Assassination Classroom but I'm afraid of being called a girl just like the character since the whole series made a running joke out of his androgynous look.  I mean, the way he was drawn basically gave him hips, a butt, and scrawny limbs was begging to mistaken him a girl.  Also when I look up cosplays for buying, his "girl look" was an official costume and I facepalmed.  My other idea is a throw back to 2000s cartoons, Gir from Invader Zim.  I'll have to watch all the episodes.  Also I'm not sure how I'd create that cosplay in a way that does it justice.  Okay I think I'm done cosplay talking for now.

5 hours ago, EmotionalAndroid said:

I think I have some sort of math vision, finding shapes whenever I look at things.  There's a place I frequent and I find myself staring at the ceiling tiles a lot.

And then the thing about what women need men for, my mom is the best at answering that.  I have never seen my parents show any affection for each other and my cousin asked my mom once, "why did you marry him?"  She said her answer was that he was a handyman.  She likes to save money so having a guy that could fix toilets, pipes, plumbing, was definitely good for saving money.  Then my dad got a birthday card from a long time friend.  My cousin looked at it and thought to why the only thing the friend could say was what such a good handyman my dad was.  It certain serves a practical purpose..

Was talking with my sister last night and she shared quite a few ace moments with me. (she recently realized she is on the spectrum too) She has gotten really into the Overwatch lore recently as well as watching lots of silly fanmade videos about the characters. Her favorites are Genji, solder 76 and Reaper. Anyways, she gushed about how much she likes Genji a little too much and now all her friends are teasing her about how she wants to bang him. (Shes about ready to smack her friends) She keeps telling them "No! You don't get what I'm saying. I just think the voice-overs fans do are really sweet. And I don't think hes hot I just like his armor. Not him. His armor! Its just...the  plate lines are very satisfying to look at? Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

No. they did not understand.

And as shes explaining all of this to me I'm sitting there screaming because I have been in that exact same situation so many times and I know how impossible it is to get people to understand but she gets it and- aahhhhhh!

Then she goes on to say that she felt kind of weirded out by just how much she liked solder 76. It was kind of messing with her because she wasn't sure why she was attracted to this  guy who could be her grandfather and it made her feel uncomfortable. Then she had this "wait a second" moment and realized she hated all of his skins where you could see her face.  So out of curiosity she imagined just the visor....

.....turns out she just really wants a visor like that.

Then she did a cross comparison of all the fictional characters she has ever had a "crush" on and realized that probably about 80% of them wore masks. Turns out she didn't actually like them- she just really wants to collect masks.

Again I'm sitting there screaming because I have been in the exact same situation as her so many times and I recently had my own "aha" moment where I looked back and realized most of the instances where I thought I liked someone boiled down to "actually I just wish I had those accessories."

Finlay she said that her friend were recently talking about what they find sexy. She tried to limbo out of the conversation but they ended up cornering her about the subject. She couldn't think of anything to say so she blurted out: "I don't know? I guess legs look nice?"

and everyone was all "aww yeah those sexy legs right? We get what your saying. They get you all hot and bothered don't they?"

And shes sitting there utterly confused, trying to understand what they mean. So she tells them "Not really. I don't want to touch them or anything- I just like the shape. Especially if they have cool armor! Like I'm always proud of my character drawings when I get the legs right, you know?"

No, they did not "know." She got kind of frustrated.

Meanwhile shes telling me all this and i'm practically marching around the room banging pots and pans because oh my god I know this struggle too!

she threw up her hands and told me "Finlay! someone who gets it!"

I'm so glad we can talk to each other about this stuff. its no wonder it took us so long for us to realize our Aceness when we were using each other as a reference for what a "standard straight person" looked like.

• Like 10
On 2/26/2017 at 5:21 PM, Quasar.w said:

Sort of an aroace/being a loner and astrophysicist-to-be moment: me in Passengers "spendig the rest of my life, alone on a spaceship flying through the universe with access to amazing gear and knowledge, being able to do whatever I want? That sounds wonderful!"

• Like 3
nerdperson777

Remembered my second thought from my last post.  On Saturday, I'm in this group of teaching trainees that I've mentioned in several posts and we were responsible with helping out for a test for little toddlers.  We were taking a class there and had an hour before the tests.  The two that were doing the test with me are about 14 years old and they tend to goof around a lot.  Usually they mess up the vibe in Tai Chi class because of their giggling and stuff.  So during that hour in between, they were messing around on the girl's computer (one boy one girl).  Although I emotionally fit in the group, I logically don't.  In Tai Chi, they were talking about Instagram and the girl was complaining about why he didn't like his photos (which I noted to them as a first world problem).  So then they were on her Instagram while the girl was showing him pictures of her friends (I have no idea why).  The guy was joking about how hot the people in the pictures were.  Then the girl was IMing one of her friends.  They both started joking on about finding the friend a boyfriend.  When the friend asked for a name, they tried to type my name but having both of them on the keyboard kind of jumbled it up.  So then I was told that I have a date now.  I wasn't even part of this.  I was trying to laugh with their goof offs but my mind wasn't.  Then the girl showed the guy a picture with her in it.  He joked that she was hot.  The logical me said, "you mean temperature-wise?"  I felt accomplished that I made a joke that someone laughed at.

A thought I had later was, what if I was toying around with them?  What if I said "why do you assume I'm straight?"  I'll then hear "you're gay?"  "Why do you assume I'm gay?"  And then hopefully I'll confuse them or open their minds to not having a sexuality.  Don't know if that's a good idea, if I ever get to it.

• Like 4
TheCatBehind

A guy who I think thought I was bi/pan just showed me a picture of a woman posing sexily with a cheetah... and I went all like "Omg the cheetah looks so cuuute!" and from his reaction I think he thinks I'm gay now lol (he's gay tho lol)

• Like 5
Member106624
On 2/27/2017 at 7:41 PM, Ace_Machina said:

I couldn't make my mind up on whether to watch it. Those clips sold me on it. Watching it later :)

notfeelingit98
11 hours ago, Maks9090 said:

A guy who I think thought I was bi/pan just showed me a picture of a woman posing sexily with a cheetah... and I went all like "Omg the cheetah looks so cuuute!" and from his reaction I think he thinks I'm gay now lol (he's gay tho lol)

That's a precious reaction oh my god :DDDDDD

Krakennicole
On 2/26/2017 at 11:37 PM, SylviaDragon said:

Was talking with my sister last night and she shared quite a few ace moments with me. (she recently realized she is on the spectrum too) She has gotten really into the Overwatch lore recently as well as watching lots of silly fanmade videos about the characters. Her favorites are Genji, solder 76 and Reaper. Anyways, she gushed about how much she likes Genji a little too much and now all her friends are teasing her about how she wants to bang him. (Shes about ready to smack her friends) She keeps telling them "No! You don't get what I'm saying. I just think the voice-overs fans do are really sweet. And I don't think hes hot I just like his armor. Not him. His armor! Its just...the  plate lines are very satisfying to look at? Do you understand what I'm trying to say?"

No. they did not understand.

And as shes explaining all of this to me I'm sitting there screaming because I have been in that exact same situation so many times and I know how impossible it is to get people to understand but she gets it and- aahhhhhh!

Then she goes on to say that she felt kind of weirded out by just how much she liked solder 76. It was kind of messing with her because she wasn't sure why she was attracted to this  guy who could be her grandfather and it made her feel uncomfortable. Then she had this "wait a second" moment and realized she hated all of his skins where you could see her face.  So out of curiosity she imagined just the visor....

.....turns out she just really wants a visor like that.

Then she did a cross comparison of all the fictional characters she has ever had a "crush" on and realized that probably about 80% of them wore masks. Turns out she didn't actually like them- she just really wants to collect masks.

Again I'm sitting there screaming because I have been in the exact same situation as her so many times and I recently had my own "aha" moment where I looked back and realized most of the instances where I thought I liked someone boiled down to "actually I just wish I had those accessories."

Finlay she said that her friend were recently talking about what they find sexy. She tried to limbo out of the conversation but they ended up cornering her about the subject. She couldn't think of anything to say so she blurted out: "I don't know? I guess legs look nice?"

and everyone was all "aww yeah those sexy legs right? We get what your saying. They get you all hot and bothered don't they?"

And shes sitting there utterly confused, trying to understand what they mean. So she tells them "Not really. I don't want to touch them or anything- I just like the shape. Especially if they have cool armor! Like I'm always proud of my character drawings when I get the legs right, you know?"

No, they did not "know." She got kind of frustrated.

Meanwhile shes telling me all this and i'm practically marching around the room banging pots and pans because oh my god I know this struggle too!

she threw up her hands and told me "Finlay! someone who gets it!"

I'm so glad we can talk to each other about this stuff. its no wonder it took us so long for us to realize our Aceness when we were using each other as a reference for what a "standard straight person" looked like.

Just say you like collarbones. 

That'll throw 'em for a loop.

Still don't understand why the friendzone is widely considered a bad thing, for me that's the closest anyone can get.

• Like 8

I was showing somebody they should be doing some caulking to seal up a crack, and they turned it into a sexual joke.  I finally got it after a delayed response of silence.