Asexual love songs

quarridors

Warning: Gratuitous over use of song lyrics in this post

Hiya,

I don't know if anyone else here is into 1960's popular music but it's really struck me recently that some of the songs Mama Cass sings sound really asexual or inspirational to asexual people.

First example is "It's getting better" which is about a friendship that's grown further and further into love. Get these lyrics:

"Once I believed that when love came to me

It would come with rockets, bells and poetry

But with me and you it just started quietly and grew

And believe it or not

Now there's something groovy and good

Bout whatever we got

And it's getting better

Growing stronger, warm and wilder

Getting better everyday, better everyday

<em>I don't feel all turned on and starry eyed

I just feel a sweet contentment deep inside

Holding you at night just seems kind of natural and right</em> [i like this verse *s*]

And it's not hard to see

That it isn't half of what it's going to turn out to be

Cause it's getting better

Getting better everyday, better everyday

Ba da da da da da da da da da da da

And I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'

Cause no matter how long it takes

The two of us know

That it's getting better

Getting better everyday, better everyday"

Yes I realise that the lyrics allude to how it's going to get "warm and wilder" but when /I/ sing it, it definately refers to intensity of feeling and not anything sexual *g*

(OK and the "I don't mind waiting" implies somekind of reward at the end... but maybe that's just that what they have is a valid meaningful relationship, you never know!)

The other Mama Cass song is more inspirational to asexual people deciding to be true to themselves than specifically about asexuality:

"Nobody can tell ya

There's only one song worth singing

They may try and school ya

'Cause it hangs them up

to see someone like you

You gotta make your own kind of music

Sing your own special song

Make your own kind music

Even if nobody else sings along

<em>You're gonna be nowhere

The loneliest kind of lonely

It may be rough going

Just to do your thing

the hardest thing to do</em>

But you gotta make your own kind of music

Make your own kind music

Even if nobody else sings along

<em>So if you cannot take my hand

And if you must be going, I will understand</em>

You gotta make your own kind of music

Make your own kind music

Even if nobody else sings along"

Which certainly spoke to me when I first heard it. Especially about potentially being lonely until you find what's right and having to be understanding about people who can't 'take your hand' and do your kind of relationship.

(I realise that Cass's lyrics were written by other people so I'm not suggesting anything about the person, just the music).

Does anyone else have any inspirational songs or asexual love songs? Anyone else know of a love song where the singer specifically mentions that they don't feel turned on but they're very comfortable and happy?

(I'm aware that many love songs don't specifically talk about sex but I was wondering which of those out there had really spoken to you as an asexual (assuming you have a romance drive or feel very strongly about your friendships, no judgement on asexuals with no interest on such things)).

Has anyone written love songs of their own?

Sorry for the excessive posting of lyrics but I couldn't find a website that actually listed them <em>correctly</em>.

Nat.

Hmm...

There are a few that deal more specifically with intimate friendship, if not dealing with asexual issues. ("No Woman No Cry" comes to mind.)

Also, for a song loaded with tinged asexual meaning there always "Just A Friend" (except for the end, which can be conveniently ignored, it can be interpreted as an asexual, as they say, busting bizmarkie's game....)

So my musical knowledge consists entirely of what other people on my hall listen to. Is that so bad?

• 4 weeks later...

Oh my god. ParanoidGayAndroid. You just got 20 cool points. I cannot believe you brought up MAKE YOUR OWN KIND OF MUSIC. That is actually my FAVOURITE song ever. I totally identify with it. I love it so much and It's Getting Better is just Wow, I love mama cass.....

I actually wrote a song called

& THEN THEY THROW ME AWAY

which I wrote for my debut album. I wrote it about living your life in an asexual relationship.... and being taken for everything and let go when they tire of you....

the song and lyrics are available

at

www.joalby.com or www.mp3.com/joalby

you will most likely like it

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't really dealing with asexuality, but it reminded me of my own relationship. Like somethng in a relationship (and one partner being asexual i'm sure could fit into this) that the person doesn't want to tell the other person, but they do because they trust that person.

It's the chorus from Iris by Goo-Goo dolls, which i'm sure you have all haerd, but in cse you haven't i'll put it down here.

And I don't want the world to see me

cause i don' t think that they'd understand

and when everything's meant to be

broken

i just want you to know who i am

• 3 months later...

Okay, it's not a typical love song. It doesn't deal with a sexual relationship, or even necessarily a romantic one. A song for any love.

Yeah, I jujst needed to put -something- here, being such a music fanatic.

angel come to me

to me come to me

angel belong to me

to me belong to me

angel you have wings

to fly fly to me

angel do you doubt

no need to have doubt

angel feel my love

my love for you

feel my love for you

angel carry me to you

to your home

to paradise

angel i would lie for you

for you just for you

with my yearning heart

and angel i would die for you

for you just for you

with my burning heart

angel don't feel liable

for me and my pain

don't feel liable

cause angels must be free

high up from this world in eternity

angel i could clip your wings

to catch all your love

to calm your pain

but angel this would be so wrong

you would bleed to death immediately

so angel come to me

heal my glaring pain voluntarily

i love you

Why not collaboratively write an asexual love song/poem? We can each write a line, two lines, a verse, two verses, or however much we feel inspired to write, and see how it comes out when it's finished...

(Yes, I'm kind of borrowing Orpheus' idea of the "continuation story" from the "Open Mic" forum. )

If it works out well, I volunteer to set the words to music...maybe we will even want to make it our "anthem."

If it doesn't work well, ~I~ certainly didn't suggest this idea!!! ;)

========================

"Closer Than Touch"

If I were to touch you

You still wouldn't know

The way your spirit

Lives deep inside me now

And if I were to hold you

Would you be too close to see

The real, true me

Who is longing to be

sharing something

Closer than touch?

This is from "Starlight Express;" an Andrew Lloyd Musical about trains. It is sung by the "underdog" steam train, "Rusty," to his close friend, "Pearl," a passenger coach. (In the end, they wind up "together," but at this stage of the game, they are just close friends.)

"THERE'S ME:"

All alone

You think you're on your own

You think there's no one in the world

Who cares for you

That isn't true

There's me

I may not be

The one you want to see

But if you need someone who's kind

Then look behind

Then you'll find

There's me

I'll be here

Standing by

Never fear

You can cry

In awhile,

You will smile,

And I'll be there to see...

Until then

When you're OK again

You look around,

Find I'm no longer there...

I'll still be here somewhere

You're ~not~ alone

There's me

There's always me.

VivreEstEsperer

<font size=2.5> Ok so here's my go at a song, it might be more like a poem or something!

Asexual World

I don't get excited by sloppy kisses on TV

Playboy is just not for me

The amount of dates I've gone on I can count on one hand, 1-2-3

I don't think anything or anyone is "hot"

Lust or unrequited passion I don't got

Crushes I don't get

Another person that I romantically like I've never met

I'm asexual

That's what I am

Not unintellectual

Just asexual

That's who I am

Okay, lol, that's enough. That was harder than I thought it would be! I tried to use a rhyming dictionary for the end...and I found my name in the dictionary for some reason - it says it's a "brambling finch." What in the world is a brambling finch?? lol!

Kate

VivreEstEsperer

I really, really like that goo goo dolls song. I just wrote a humongous post detailing exactly how much and why I like it, but it got erased when I didnt realize I hadnt posted it already and pressed the back button on my browser. Usually I dont like those kind of songs-but I heard the song on the radio this morning coincidentally-

and some of the lyrics just REALLY struck me as meaningful.

And I don't want the world to see me

'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

When everything's made to be broken

I just want you to know who I am

And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming

Or the moment of truth in your lies

When everything feels like the movies

Yeah you bleed just to know you're alive

not wanting to expose yourself to the world because you're afraid they wont understand you, and wanting people to know who you *really* are- I think those are all common feelings of asexuals -really fits - I applaud whoever thought of the song as an example originally-thank you. And I really like the second verse too-so eloquent but with SO much meaning!

Kate

I'm too a-sexy for my love, too a-sexy for my love

Love's going to leave me

I'm too a-sexy for my shirt, too a-sexy for my shirt

So a-sexy it hurts

And I'm too as-exy for Milan, too a-sexy for Milan

New York and Japan

And I'm too a-sexy for your party, too a-sexy for your party

No way I'm disco dancing

I'm a model, you know what I mean

And I do my little turn on the catwalk

Yeah, on the catwalk, on the catwalk, yeah

I do my little turn on the catwalk

I'm too a-sexy for my car, too a-sexy for my car

Too a-sexy by far

And I'm too a-sexy for my hat

Too a-sexy for my hat, what d'you think about that

I'm a model, you know what I mean

Yeah, on the catwalk, on the catwalk, yeah

I shake my little touche on the catwalk

I'm too a-sexy for my, too a-sexy for my, too a-sexy for my

'Cause I'm a model, you know what I mean

Yeah, on the catwalk, yeah, on the catwalk, yeah

I shake my little touche on the catwalk

I'm too a-sexy for my cat, too a-sexy for my cat

Poor pussy, poor pussy cat

I'm too a-sexy for my love, too a-sexy for my love

Love's going to leave me

And I'm too a-sexy for this song

• 3 weeks later...

This does not have anything to do with asexuality directly, but my favourite band is Tool. They do occaisionally poke fun at society's veiws, including those that are related to sexuality. They tend to use sex as a metaphor, for something ugly.

There is one song, called "stinkfist" which seems of be about fisting, but is about pushing limits perhaps too far. There is another song called "prison sex" which seems to be about someone having sex with jesus, but is really about the horrors of child abuse.

Sometimes the band seems odd & disturbing, yet original and that is why I like them.

I also enjoy some of Tool's works, although I'm not intimately acquainted with their albums. I love the one song that has the beautiful piano playing in the background, and the venomous and threatening answering machine message played over the top.

Tool and comedian Bill Hicks kind of go hand in hand...and Bill is quite the philosopher, too. I dig Bill.

As far as Tool's music is concerned, I really like what they have to say...it's just that sometimes I have to turn the volume down to understand what they are trying to say. ALTHOUGH, they, better than most bands of their genre, have an understanding of "dynamics..."...that in order for your "louds" to have impact, you have to have some places that are "softer."

Anyway, yeah, I like 'em.

And *waves* to whomever it was that liked "There's Me." I really like it, too. :)

I'm showing my age here, but the first thing came to my mind was the old Dylan song with the chorus "All I really want to do is baby be friends with you."

boa

boa, I like your screenname! :)

Your Dylan reminds me of an even older song, "With a little help from my friends," by the Beatles.

Of course...there's some controversy as to whether or not the "friends" referred to in the song are drugs...

...but I don't think that's what they meant. Or, it's probably only ONE of the meanings, if it is a meaning.

------------------------------------

In the end, when you're sick, it's you're friends who are there for you.

If you go through hard times, it's your friends who are there for you.

If you go through a divorce, it's your friends who hold your hand and help see you through it.

If there's some kind of natural disaster at your place (like we just had a huge windstorm at my place,) it's friends and neighbors who are out there with a saw, cutting apart the tree that's blocking the road, and helping you clean up your yard and stuff.

I believe that "With A Little Help From My Friends" refers more to that kind of friendship, rather than the oblivious - to - the - bad - stuff kind of thing found in a "friendship" with drugs/alcohol.

------------------------------------

Orpheus - LOVED your asexy song!!!

Now why aren't you a Grammy winner for this? Where's your radio play? This should be a big hit!

Oh well...maybe someone on the board will award you their Grandmother, and then you will be a "Granny" award winner! ;)

Well, Orpheus, you have to expect that kind of thing when you're "too a-sexy!" People notice!

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

Archived