How did you self identify before self identifying as asexual

EGAD!

Self Identify Before Identifying as Asexual  

1. 1. How did you identify before self identifying as asexual?

• Heterosexual
    • Homosexual
    • Bisexual
    • Demisexual
    • Pansexual
    • I never identified strongly with any label
    • I never identified strongly with any label until identifying as asexual
    • Other, please explain

This poll is closed to new votes

carried in bags

im hertro-romantic so have always classed myself as that, sedpite all the name calling and wrongful asumtions! now i know the ace variations i can now give a longer title to it.

I vaguely identified as hetro, my reason moving about between an aesthetic bias for girls and it being a default (Religious upbringing may have had something to do with it, possibly, but I don't think this ever affected my life much anyway). Actually, I experimented with the idea I might be a normal heterosexual and that everyone else was the same, but given I am totally apathetic to sex this didn't hold.

Other than that I didn't identify strongly with anything, although I found asexuality about 5 or so years ago, but the only thing I found (on BBC h2g2, trying to figure out what all this sex stuff was) said I could have been a 'late bloomer' at the point I read it. I tried that. Nothing changed.

• 4 months later...
alittlebirdy

I identified as Pansexual, but just told most people bisexual so I wouldn't have to spend time explaining what pansexual meant since most people have never heard of it before.

Panromantic Ace is much better, though.

• 4 months later...
I just called myself heterosexual since I had a couple of crushes on guys, but never on girls. Even then my crushes were kind of weak and I was never interested sexually.

This was the case for me as well. I've always had crushes on male movie stars, but there were never so bad that I had to see their films the day they opened or anything. I think there was just a romantic fascination. And I've never been interested in anyone sexually.

I never identified strongly with any sexual orientation before discovering asexuality.

However, if someone had asked me, I would have said I was heterosexual. This is because most people in my town are homophobes who believe that sexual orientation is a dichotomy between heterosexual and homosexual. If I had said that I wasn't heterosexual, I would have been treated poorly for being gay. I have been asked if I am gay, to which I responded with an honest "no". However, I didn't elaborate.

Guest member25959

I didn't really know about labels until that sex class i had. I decided i didn't fit into the other categories, and somehow ended up with the word Asexual?

AFlyingPiglet

I identified as heterosexual, but it was a rather ill fitting description as I was very very happy on my own and not looking for a relationship. Asexual is a much better description and one I am comfortable with. I also identify as Aromantic.

Heterosexual, but struggling a lot and thinking I wasn't normal or something... until I found this website!

• 2 weeks later...

Due to my lack of interest in men, I identified as lesbian, but then when I came across my lack of interest in women... I googled 'lack of interest in sex' and came across AVEN. :P

When I was in my teens I never really thought about it. I guess I just would have went to default (heterosexual) if I was ever asked. Around the time I entered college, I decided to actually think about the subject. Boys? no. Girls? no. Then I decided that it was a "none of the above" kinda of response, and just decided to go with the idea that I didn't have a sexual orientation...then I discovered that asexual counts (unless you still among the skeptic community <_< )

so i voted that i never identified with any label until identifying as asexual ^_^

First hetero, then bi, and then as a lesbian. Now I'm just homoromantic, and like it that way :)

House of Chimeras

Growing up and up through much of teenage years I never really thought about my sexuality or lack there of. I was just not interested and that was that for me. But when I began to kind of wonder about what was my sexuality, that was then I started to take notice. For a while I thought I was heterosexual like most of then general population, but when I realized I was not interested in men I began to slightly wonder if I was a lesbian, though I quickly ruled that out as well. At a lose I simply decided that I was just me. It was not until I found the term asexuality that anything truly fit.

Lesbian and Gay, which didn't mean the same as homosexual for me- I meant to say some broader sort of Queer.

I don't think I ever tried to figure it out for myself until I was about seventeen. Long story short I figured I was sorta pansexual or bisexual leaning towards guys but not particularly interested in either. The concept of asexuality honestly did not occur to me until I ran into it on the Internet by accident. Now I'm glad that I've found it - aromantic asexual is a bit of a mouthful, and will take some explaining, but nothing like as long as what I would've had to spit out before. :)

I've always been a hetero-romantic, but wasn't familiar this was possible so considered myself heterosexual, I had no idea why I didn't like sex

Although I knew I wasn't gay, trans etc I never really gave it much thought. I could see attractive people as attractive people no matter what the sex but I just never saw them sexually as I had no interest in sex

• 2 weeks later...
gray_imagination

mainly I identified as straight. But for awhile I thought I was a closet lesbian or maybe bi because my first experience was with another girl. I was sort of confused because I was equally NOT turned on by anyone, and I didn't know that was actually an option, LOL.

• 1 month later...

It was a confusing mess for me, but the last thing I ended up with was pansexual... after a huge bout with knowing I wasn't gay, despite being attracted romantically to the 'same sex,' and not being straight because I wasn't attracted to the opposite.

Now here's the corker :P

Back then, to me, opposite sex attraction was the same sex. So like I said, it was a mess.

I identified as heterosexual, because of the sheer number of crushes I've had on fictional male characters. (real men, not so much, though)

I now identify as aromantic _ yeah, I've convinced myself that all of these were platonic squishes. You can call me deluded if you want. :lol:

Before identifying as asexual, I identified as heterosexual, homosexual and bisexual. I still sort of feel like I might be grasping at straws because of all of the changes I've made. But this really feels like me much more than any other identity. I guess only time will tell.

okay. I never really identified with a specific sexuality until I found out I was asexual and even then I didn't identify as that for a year. But before that all of that my friends thought I was going to be gay and actually made bets on it. They all lost, but they don't know it yet.

I thought that I was a lesbian because I felt romantic attraction to three different girls (three different times, of course).

Then I thought I was bisexual or straight because I later felt romantic attraction to a boy.

At last I realized that I didn't want to have sex with any of them.

I've never had an interest in anyone and I thought for the longest time there was something wrong with me.

Archived